ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Shenandoah Action

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Things are winding down, and in fact it will even be Senior Night some places, so we have the usual four-game slate on Friday along with a couple of make-ups Saturday. There are at least two games in the mix that could be barnburners. Here is the schedule:

East Rock at Stonewall: As mentioned earlier this week, I came away from Elkton Tuesday night majorly impressed with the Eagles, especially now with Rogers being back in the line-up. So even with home-court advantage, the Generals will not be able to slow down that much talent. I am OK with that, since any Stonewall loss helps my team and its conference status! ER takes this one by 20 give or take.

Riverheads at Page: Overall this season, my Gladiators have been fun to watch and we have gotten much more out of the freshmen than perhaps was expected. But as they say on the tube, "the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores," so this has been a building year and next year things will be better, and the year after and so on. They did shock just about everyone in attendance last week up at Luray...maybe not the win itself but the margin of it. So yes, that game will certainly be used as encouragement during the bus ride and in the locker room, but as pointed out in another thread, the Panthers are certainly not the Bulldogs. A Page blowout is therefore a possibility, considering that it will be their Senior Night and the fact that they are not very far behind East Rock in talent. But a closer game or even a Riverheads win would not be a huge shock. A pretty big one, mind you, but not a huge one.

And now for the potential barn-burners.......

Buffalo Gap at Luray: These two are hungry for a win and the play on the floor will probably show it. Since the Dogs won at Buffalo Gap earlier, you would have to like their chances at home. But the Bison will probably do everything in their power to avoid going 0-14 in league play, starting with this game.

Stuarts Draft at Wilson: The Cougars have been kind of Jekyll and Hyde lately, scoring 122 in one game but only 50 in another. You would think they have had their better games at home, but three of their biggest nights (110 at Page, 114 at Stonewall, and 115 at Luray) came on the road, so when the shots are falling for them, location is just not that big an issue. Wilson should be encouraged to remember that both Fort Defiance and Riverheads found ways to slow down the Cougars and beat them, and the above-mentioned 50 point game was at Covington. I will go with Draft reluctantly in this one, but by 10 points or less.

Saturday games:

James Wood at East Rock: Don't know enough on that one to even have an opinion. I will leave that discussion up to others who might know more about JW.

Luray at Central: Earlier in the week, I learned that Central was better than I thought they were. My bad. So they should be fine at home against the Dogs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT