ADVERTISEMENT

What 4 teams from your Region makes the playoff this year?

iDidntGetBanned

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2019
Under the new VHSL proposal the top 4 teams in a region will advance to the playoffs.

Region D (only region I’m seeding)
1. Salem
2. Pulaski
3. GW
4. Glass

Region A
LT
Churchland
King’s Fork
Hampton

Region C
Tusky
Broad Run
Loudoun County
Sherando

Region B
Dinwiddie
Monacan
Louisa
Eastern View

Seems like whether or not things are WAY better in spring will determine the ability to do POs. If not, bowl game seems more likely.

Anyone have an inside on why Loudoun County doesn’t stand w Broad run Tusky and the likes?

On paper and on film the got size speed and cats on the field Everywhere?

Loudoun County has some real good players coming back. Tariq Sims and Jimmy Kibble are game changers. The DeBoard twins are very good. Nalin Taterway is very good up front on both sides of the ball. Gavin Pitts returns at QB and can run and throw. New coaching staff and new energy. Should be a tough out for anybody.

Reactions: WHI
Hey @iDidntGetBanned do you have the link to that proposal? Not questioning you I have seen it a lot of places just haven't seen the link. We keep hearing "Bowl Game" and I would rather have a State Champion.
I heard that a bowl game is an option, but that the most discussed option is what is in the article referenced. With the dates the VHSL has established for football (two weeks of practice and 1 March as the first date for a game) that translates to a five game season and a four week playoff. I don't see any football programs veering off from the standard Friday night games (barring weather postponements) so the weeks available dictate a 5 game season. Where it gets interesting is who makes the playoffs. Assuming they stay with the current power point system, with only 5 games there are going to be more teams who go undefeated so if you have one bad game you may be out, even if that game happened to occur between the two best teams in the region. It will probably make for some interesting discussions on here.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
My question is determining schedule. Some districts 5 games fits perfectly others not so much. Piedmont for example has 6 district games and they originally said 60% of a season. So could we be shoe horning 6 games into roughly 33-34 day period?

Under the new VHSL proposal the top 4 teams in a region will advance to the playoffs.

Region D (only region I’m seeding)
1. Salem
2. Pulaski
3. GW
4. Glass

Region A
LT
Churchland
King’s Fork
Hampton

Region C
Tusky
Broad Run
Loudoun County
Sherando

Region B
Dinwiddie
Monacan
Louisa
Eastern View

Same as you for Region 4D.

My question is determining schedule. Some districts 5 games fits perfectly others not so much. Piedmont for example has 6 district games and they originally said 60% of a season. So could we be shoe horning 6 games into roughly 33-34 day period?
I would think it would be unfair for teams to rely on District schedules to determine playoff seeds if we’re going top 4 from region or a hypothetical bowl game. GW is a prime example. They’ll get Magna Vista, Bassett, and Halifax County. 3 good teams and they’ll more than likely get Tunstall, Patrick County and Martinsville. With that schedule, GW will be at worst 4-1 without even thinking. Let’s say for instance Blacksburg goes 3-2 and plays 5 playoff teams from the River Ridge, will that really be fair if they miss out on the playoffs and they played a tougher schedule? Will it be fair if GW goes 5-0 and their best opponent is 2-3 (I’d doubt it but it’s a good example) and they have to depend on power points?

I’m not a manplainer, but I would hope each team gets two in Region opponents during the regular season.

GW: EC Glass and Halifax

Glass: GW (just because it would bring in a good gate), JF, Amherst

Halifax: GW and they had the softest schedule I’ve ever seen after MV and GW so they may be SOL. I’d much rather see GW play Halifax twice than waste their time with a Martinsville or Patrick County.

JF: Amherst, Glass

Blacksburg: Salem, Pulaski

Salem: Blacksburg, Pulaski

Pulaski: Salem, Blacksburg

Reactions: lyhsports
2 District opponents, 3 Region opponents. That way you can still play your rivals in district, then Schedule 3 strong opponents in the region.

I'd like to see Glass play Heritage, GW and JF at least. Those are the rivals and they bring in the money.

I have a feeling more people will attend football games this spring since they won't get them in the fall.

2 District opponents, 3 Region opponents. That way you can still play your rivals in district, then Schedule 3 strong opponents in the region.

I'd like to see Glass play Heritage, GW and JF at least. Those are the rivals and they bring in the money.

I have a feeling more people will attend football games this spring since they won't get them in the fall.
I agree! I’m personally a favorite of an all region schedule if we’re going 5 games. That’s what they’re going to do in 5A I’m pretty sure. To be fair, it’s a heck of a lot easier to schedule a Varina/Deep Run game then it is a Glass/Pulaski game.

I agree! I’m personally a favorite of an all region schedule if we’re going 5 games. That’s what they’re going to do in 5A I’m pretty sure. To be fair, it’s a heck of a lot easier to schedule a Varina/Deep Run game then it is a Glass/Pulaski game.

I wouldn't mind an all region schedule too. I just think AD's wouldn't be too happy if there was no Heritage vs Glass Game. That game brings in money for all the other sports too.

I wouldn't mind an all region schedule too. I just think AD's wouldn't be too happy if there was no Heritage vs Glass Game. That game brings in money for all the other sports too.
Could still play the Glass/Heritage game as a benefit. I do like your proposal that teams out our way play 3 region teams and 2 district games. Glass gets Heritage and Brookville and GW gets Magna Vista and Bassett for in district. The only two teams that hurts is Halifax and Pulaski. Heck, they could play each other and all teams in the Region will have 3 region opponents. I forgot Halifax has JF on their schedule.

Ok every schedule format has its holes.....but if youre required 3 region games, who is Franklin County going schedule?

Ok every schedule format has its holes.....but if youre required 3 region games, who is Franklin County going schedule?
It’s still absolutely crazy that their closest 6A opponent is 3 and a half hours plus away. Im surprised that they haven’t made Franklin County’s west campus a separate high school like Danville did GW and Galileo. If you take 450 students out of Franklin County High School, they’re playing 5A ball with 2 opponents of the same size within a 25 mile drive. If a couple more than 450 goes, they’re possibly even playing Class 4 ball. Franklin County went way to VA Beach to play in the playoffs last year. That’s absolutely ridiculous! As far as NoVA is from Rocky Mount, it’s much closer than VA Beach!

Yeah, thats a hard one. Unless you do 2 District Games, 2 Region Games and on e Wild Card which could be anyone you decide to schedule. Those two region games they schedule could be the two closest opponents(even though that game would be far away).

A lot of schools frowned at Franklin County being in their district after the Western Valley District was dissolved in 2013 because of their size. Though they are a big school in numbers, they have never been some dominant powerhouse that schools should be fearful of. Tunstall, for example, wanted no parts of Franklin County until Dave Potts took over in football. During that same time, Franklin County had some of their worst years of football. I believe that FC should waiver and play down a class. Going to Roanoke/Charlottesville/Fredericksburg is a whole heck of a lot closer than going to 757. Mind you, there are only 3 Class 6 schools (soon to be 4 with Manchester coming back next year) in the 804, which are still a 3 and a half hour plus drive from Rocky Mount. Charlottesville is a 2 hour and 15 minute drive, you’re looking at a 3 and some change hour drive to Fred Vegas and 25 mile drive to PH and Fleming if you’re playing 5A.

Yeah, that waiver might not be granted as a way to say “Hey, it’s your mess, you deal with the consequences” to Franklin Co. But I agree it’s a legit waiver request. I assume it’s all about not wanting to start that precedent.

Yeah, that waiver might not be granted as a way to say “Hey, it’s your mess, you deal with the consequences” to Franklin Co. But I agree it’s a legit waiver request. I assume it’s all about not wanting to start that precedent.
I give them KUDDOS for not complaining. Out that way, A LOT of programs see 804 or 757 or bigger schools and whine and complain. I recently had a former coach from the area argue me down that GW’s March basketball loss to King’s Fork was due to “King’s Fork having that while area of Suffolk to pull from”. Totally isn’t the case with King’s Fork being 1 of 3 high schools in Suffolk city and then you have to factor in its proximity to the other 6 cities with A LOT of great programs. I mean excuses after excuses instead of just saying they weren’t good enough that day. He NEVER factored in that past teams in the 434/276/540 (Roanoke end) have competed and beat teams from the 804/703/757. Martinsville, Salem and Franklin County are three fan bases I’ve never heard complain in that area. They line up and play whoever, where ever.

Reactions: WP02alum
FC should split into two schools, but they won't. That would involve those dirty, dirty taxes and we all need to hoard all the pennies we can and the hell with everyone else. Good luck getting the SML side of the county to want to help the other part of the county.

FC should split into two schools, but they won't. That would involve those dirty, dirty taxes and we all need to hoard all the pennies we can and the hell with everyone else. Good luck getting the SML side of the county to want to help the other part of the county.
Never understood why there isn’t a high school in the SML/Penhook/Glade Hill/Sontag area. That side of the county is a ways from Rocky Mount and some of those kids are damn near closer to go to Gretna.

i keep seeing march 1`st for 1st contest, thats a monday. back up 3 days to the 26th of feb(fri) and you have 10 weeks til April 30th. IF, and who knows, If its gonna be 6 weeks plus 4 weeks for playoffs then 4d could, and i think should, handle it interestingly. Since there are only 8 teams in 4d i think each should schedule 5 games, then week six either by seeding or predetermined schedule, have all 8 play each other in an unofficial 1st round of the playoffs. week 7 you are down to 4 like everybody else, but whoever is there won there way there the week before. just a thought, what do i know

Go Cougars

i keep seeing march 1`st for 1st contest, thats a monday. back up 3 days to the 26th of feb(fri) and you have 10 weeks til April 30th. IF, and who knows, If its gonna be 6 weeks plus 4 weeks for playoffs then 4d could, and i think should, handle it interestingly. Since there are only 8 teams in 4d i think each should schedule 5 games, then week six either by seeding or predetermined schedule, have all 8 play each other in an unofficial 1st round of the playoffs. week 7 you are down to 4 like everybody else, but whoever is there won there way there the week before. just a thought, what do i know

Go Cougars
Hey Tombstone, its been awhile since you've been on here. Glad to see that you are back.

Reactions: tombstone
yeh im around, reading and lurking lol. sometimes anymore its waaay too much politics and way too little football so i just fade out lol. hope you are well
I agree I am going to miss football this fall. I love it. I guess when March rolls around I will be glad if it still happens

I agree I am going to miss football this fall. I love it. I guess when March rolls around I will be glad if it still happens
At least the college and NFL teams will play soon. January can’t get here fast enough. Thank God for life, but this has been one shitty year.

One week from today was to be our opening game at Goochland, a new field for me. Now just home doing little other than going out to dinner since I don’t have to leave for a game. Boring, like everything these days.

31 states are playing HS football VA isn’t one of them - awesome
I read that too, thats a clear majority , many with worse cases than us. It all falls back on our overly cautious stupid Governor. No body but him can make a decision on their own safety but him. All knowing Government in action. But the people here accept that control. I don’t.

I’m sure after a winter season of the flu and covid 19 there will all sorts of reasons this second rate doctor Governor will have to cancel. Now before that cold weather hits us why 34 states went ahead with HS football.

I didn’t realize VHSL postponed the season because of a governor’s directive. Not trying to be sarcastic. Did that happen? I thought VHSL acted on their own.

I didn’t realize VHSL postponed the season because of a governor’s directive. Not trying to be sarcastic. Did that happen? I thought VHSL acted on their own.
The VHSL said many times they would follow the Governors orders on virus control as social distancing, masks, gathering size etc. It was explained that if the Governor did not move from Phase three to four, no fall sports. There is no remote talk right now of progressing from phase three. Unlike here, in New Jersey which still has more restrictions than here their Governor verbally supported fall High School football continuing this fall, just a month delay. Northam gave no written or verbal support for fall sports to continue with any mitigation efforts. The VHSL is independent in theory only. In reality, they tow the line.

I hear what you’re saying, but I believe VHSL put that out to pretend like the decision was beyond their control. No one wants to take responsibility for their decisions during this thing. Horrific leadership.

To my knowledge, Gov. Northam didn’t hand down any edict that football couldn’t happen during phase 3. If he did, I’d like to know. Appreciate your reply.

I hear what you’re saying, but I believe VHSL put that out to pretend like the decision was beyond their control. No one wants to take responsibility for their decisions during this thing. Horrific leadership.

To my knowledge, Gov. Northam didn’t hand down any edict that football couldn’t happen during phase 3. If he did, I’d like to know. Appreciate your reply.
All it would have taken is for Northam to say fall football is ok with these restrictions. I was in government for 15 years and they are all easy to say no or no opinion but very rarely to say yes with certain parameters and then required to take responsibility of the action. I just read how the season ticket holders of VT have now been informed only 1,000 allowed in Lane Stadium for the September VT/uVA game, essentially players families and friends only. Another Northam rule even though the stadium holds 65,000 and social distancing with mask requirements would be easy and allow ten times that amount or more. No flexibility.

Reactions: WP02alum
I hear ya. Every “leader” wants to point above them & pretend like their hands are tied during this thing. It’s been extremely revealing to see which leaders deserve respect & which deserve scorn during this experience. Real leaders don’t pass the buck; they lead!

Great points,
Non football related, the two big amusement parks are in the same situation and decided to stay closed because only allowing 1000 in the parks was not financially feasible to open. There is a reason for this, so will leave it at that!!

Great points,
Non football related, the two big amusement parks are in the same situation and decided to stay closed because only allowing 1000 in the parks was not financially feasible to open. There is a reason for this, so will leave it at that!!
Actually Busch Gardens here has gone to opening every weekend in August by reservation only for the 1,000 limit. Only half the park is open though to limit the work required. I guess they did to make some money and stick it to Northam. That’s how we see it here in Williamsburg. The difference of course the amusement parks are daily repetitive customers by the thousands mingling for up to 13 hours. A stadium is a one time occurrence that day with customers a majority of the time in one seat location and for 3-4 hours or so. Heaven forbid someone from the desolate eastern shore to understand such complexities and devise a plan to allow seating in alternate rows and sections and monitor entrance and exiting by sections. They could reasonably allow 20,000-25,000. I’m not a ticket holder but I just don’t see his actions as valid. I could even devise based on on the stadiums numbering system to print new tickets and go to pre game day sales only.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT