ADVERTISEMENT

What school has benefitted most from move to 6 classes?

Sep 14, 2006
It's been 8 seasons of 6 classifications in VHSL. What school has benefitted most from the change? 4A is the most active board so I ask this question here but you can say any school from any classification.

My pick would be Monacan. They have turned into a perennial region championship contender in football and have mostly dominated girls basketball. In addition, they have won a boys basketball state title. In the old AAA, I doubt they would have any state championships especially with having to compete with Princess Anne in girls basketball. They have also seen success in volleyball and soccer as a 4A school.

Football went to 6 classifications back in 1986. So it has no recent effects on football. Basketball is probably were the biggest difference would be. Teams like I.C. Norcom and John Marshal were able to compete in the old AAA with lower enrollment Now John Marshal is Class 2 and I.C. Norcom Class 3. It's not often we can say that a Class 2 team might be the best in the state.

Football went to 6 classifications back in 1986. So it has no recent effects on football. Basketball is probably were the biggest difference would be. Teams like I.C. Norcom and John Marshal were able to compete in the old AAA with lower enrollment Now John Marshal is Class 2 and I.C. Norcom Class 3. It's not often we can say that a Class 2 team might be the best in the state.
What’s even more impressive is those Norcom and John Marshall played up and beat actual competition. Now, you may have 2-3 good teams in each Class, but when it was old AAA, you had 6-8 teams who had a legit shot. I saw that 2010 and 2011 Norcom team full of neighborhood boys win the state championship and beat the #1 private school in America. Just don’t make them like that anymore.

Reactions: SFUWO
I disagree. The recent 6 classification change has had a great effect on football. Look at Lake Taylor for example. They were 5A before this but now are all the way down to 3A. In the Central Region there were plenty of schools who should have been playing 3A or 2A that were playing 5A. Likewise schools that should have been playing 5A were playing 6A. Many schools could have been winning a lot more games if they were in their classification strictly by enrollment. So I ask, who has benefitted the most from the 6 classification change?

I disagree. The recent 6 classification change has had a great effect on football. Look at Lake Taylor for example. They were 5A before this but now are all the way down to 3A. In the Central Region there were plenty of schools who should have been playing 3A or 2A that were playing 5A. Likewise schools that should have been playing 5A were playing 6A. Many schools could have been winning a lot more games if they were in their classification strictly by enrollment. So I ask, who has benefitted the most from the 6 classification change?

Someone being in a previous classification doesn't mean they changed, their enrollment changed.

Like was said, there were still 6 classes more than 8 years ago. Going back even a bit more, there were 2 divisions in each Class (i.e. A 1 and 2, AA 3 and 4, AAA 5 and 6).

So while your premise of it effecting a sport can hold true, you calling it 8 years ago changes the complete argument

They chose to play up. VHSL changed it to put teams in the correct enrollment Divisions. Not the change to 6 classifications. Even with the change teams still play the same schedules. So in reality nothing changed except for playoffs. Now when we look at the playoffs. No one has really benefited from the change except maybe Riverheads. The Phantoms have not been able to duplicate what they did in Div 5. Dinwiddie was able to win a title in 2013. That team was loaded. LT was loaded in 2015, they proved how good they were by beating LC Bird at Bird. Highland Springs has been dominate once Johnson got his system installed.

Someone being in a previous classification doesn't mean they changed, their enrollment changed.

Like was said, there were still 6 classes more than 8 years ago. Going back even a bit more, there were 2 divisions in each Class (i.e. A 1 and 2, AA 3 and 4, AAA 5 and 6).

So while your premise of it effecting a sport can hold true, you calling it 8 years ago changes the complete argume
Teams were allowed

It's been 8 seasons of 6 classifications in VHSL. What school has benefitted most from the change? 4A is the most active board so I ask this question here but you can say any school from any classification.

My pick would be Monacan. They have turned into a perennial region championship contender in football and have mostly dominated girls basketball. In addition, they have won a boys basketball state title. In the old AAA, I doubt they would have any state championships especially with having to compete with Princess Anne in girls basketball. They have also seen success in volleyball and soccer as a 4A school.
I credit Monacan's success with the job Jim Henderson has done His first yr was in 2013. Just happens to coincide with the change for all sports to 6 Div. They have played basically the same schedule. I think they would have been a reginal power in class 5 as well. They have had success vs Manchester

So while your premise of it effecting a sport can hold true, you calling it 8 years ago changes the complete argument
I still disagree because in the Central Region for example a school like LC Bird was playing Division 6 because they had a larger enrollment of AAA schools in the region. They did not have Class 6 enrollment. Same thing for Monacan. They had AAA enrollment but towards to bottom end some they played Division 5 but now are 4. I get what you are saying but there are still some that don't meet the qualification you are using that has not prospered.

I still disagree because in the Central Region for example a school like LC Bird was playing Division 6 because they had a larger enrollment of AAA schools in the region. They did not have Class 6 enrollment. Same thing for Monacan. They had AAA enrollment but towards to bottom end some they played Division 5 but now are 4. I get what you are saying but there are still some that don't meet the qualification you are using that has not prospered.

No sir, you are using a different argument.

Your statement of 8 years of 6 classes is absolutely 100% incorrect. So you asking who the "change" effected is starting off on something incorrect.

Let's just use 2010 (obviously more than 8 years), the champions were:

Division 1: Riverheads
Division 2: Gate City
Division 3: Poquoson
Division 4: Briar Woods
Division 5: Phoebus
Division 6: Battlefield

So very easy to see your 8 years of 6 classes is wrong. What you are trying to refer to is an updated requirement for classes. It doesn't matter which school you want to point out (playing up or playing down, because of request or enrollment), that doesn't change the number of classes. And it absolutely doesn't matter if a team prospered or not, what classifications any team is in, etc. 6 Divisions is 6 classes

Reactions: schoolboard

I'd say as far as football it's pretty much the same other than the rules that require playing in class your numbers say you should be in.

Only thing that has changed is we have 6 classification instead of 6 divisions. So no change in football.

Reactions: SFUWO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT