ADVERTISEMENT

What surprised you most, college edition

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
How about Duke upsetting Clemson 28-7? The Tigers kept shooting themselves in the foot, with at least 2 red zone turnovers. Bravo to the Blue Devils defense, and also to their running game! You don't win ball games because of the name on your chest.

Obviously, Colorado beating TCU.
Why? TCU has no defense. They are a homecoming opponent. They routinely arm tackle and grab at runners at arms length, rarely squaring up. They are very close to giving up nearly 8 touchdowns per game in their last 3 games. Going to the title game was just happenstance, a random fluke. Maybe something has changed when it comes to expectations of excellence in college football, but runner ups in the NCAA football championship should not be giving up 50+ per game. That used to mean you were not a very good football team and anyone could blast you any day of the week. Even Colorado. I was surprised at Georgia’s pathetic 1st half performance.

Reactions: gwb16 and wikki
Why? Because it was the first game of the year and NO ONE except Pat McAfee said they would win. You laying money on CU over Nebraska?

Reactions: rainman17
Just because people questioned the new (hype) vs. old (low key old ball coach) doesn't mean there isn't talent in Colorado. Deon Sanders has hired an extremely talented staff who not only know how to coach they can relate to the kids. Second, Colorado has spared no expense to elevate their program (NIL, facilities, training staff and equipment....), and lastly Deon has his team believing they can beat anyone. He is a very smart man and he brought in kids he knew could play and work together. Great job and yes I have Colorado beating Nebraska. Colorado does need to improve their interior line play on both sides of the ball; however, you better be able to score fast and score often if you want try on beat them. Coach Sanders has proven he is a sound maestro and certainly has ruffled the feathers of the old guard. Like it or not it's great for college football.

Reactions: gwb16 and wikki
I guess I have to believe that YOU GUYS were not surprised that an 0 win team, a team with a new head coach, 80 something new players beat the team that played in the Natty. YOU GUYS called it....21 point dogs to beat Coach Dykes and TCU.

@MaroonDude why do you always use riddles in your posts? Just spit your feelings out. Yes, I was moderately shocked by Colorado winning and totally in awe of his son throwing for 500 yards. Who wouldn't. I knew Shedeur had D1 talent out of high school, but it's tough to put up those numbers at the D1 level. Hell the HBCU's are full of D1 talent (coaches and players). Deon has put that in the forefront and hopefully more tweeners will get a shot. Virginia States roster includes numerous former D1 transfers who struggled academically and are receiving a second chance. There are tweeners like K'mon Pope and others who have the talent, but struggled to meet clearinghouse requirements.

I have watched the weekly youtube videos since day one and based on what I saw I knew Deon had his pulse on things. I didn't know for sure he would beat TCU, but I can tell you I wasn't one of those rooting for him to fail. Coach Sanders is a winner and I can say without a shadow of a doubt if he thought his team was going to suck then he would have never got on this train. I already said the man knows how to reach kids. He pushes them, loves them, challenges them, and gets compliance with his expectations through structure. Look at the smiles on his players faces prior to the season. He handpicked this staff and team for a reason. The hell with people getting offended by the "hype" we need more coaches like him. If I had a kid who played football I wouldn't have any hesitancy in him playing for Coach Sanders. The man talks shit, but he ain't no snake oil salesman.

Reactions: gwb16
That Colorado is now ranked is a surprise. I hate early season rankings.
Has college football really degraded to the point that a team that cannot tackle and gives up nearly 2 touchdowns per quarter over the course of 12 quarters is the new measurement for excellence? Really? That cannot be true. TCU played the Tarleton State Texans last year. and gave up 17 points!

Reactions: wikki
Hey @MaroonDude, looks like Deon and the Buffalos are going to win again. I manned up and acknowledged I was picking them over the one time power Nebraska. Put a little cash on it too. The defense is playing much better today (240 total yards) and if you are into stats Shedeur has thrown for over 900 yards in two games. Damn skippy I didn't expect that! Now I know @Kenneth Harris is going to say they ain't played nobody, but you play who have in front of you. Coach Sanders and Colorado have tremendous chemistry. Fun as heck to watch too. Score fast score often!

Hey @MaroonDude, looks like Deon and the Buffalos are going to win again. I manned up and acknowledged I was picking them over the one time power Nebraska. Put a little cash on it too. The defense is playing much better today (240 total yards) and if you are into stats Shedeur has thrown for over 900 yards in two games. Damn skippy I didn't expect that! Now I know @Kenneth Harris is going to say they ain't played nobody, but you play who have in front of you. Coach Sanders and Colorado have tremendous chemistry. Fun as heck to watch too. Score fast score often!
Soooo, I don't have to tell you that Turner Gill was not playing and that Tom Osborne was not coaching and that these Cornhuskers and the Cornhuskers of yesteryear are, in fact, two entirely different groups of Cornhuskers but dressed the same? I don't have to say any of that? 😃 Cool. I will not mention that or the fact that these Nebraska Cornhuskers are just a glorified lower level FCS football team. I will not do that.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Lol. I was just poking fun at you @Kenneth Harris. That's why I said one time power. I did bet on Colorado though. They will be 3-0 going into the 9/30/23 game with the USC Trojans. With each and every win Coach Sanders gets the Buffalo alumni's pocketbooks open wider and wider. We can make downplay it all we want, but it meant a lot to CU fans to beat the Cornhuskers even if it was their "JV".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth Harris
^^Now that it's gone public, MSU is going to suspend/fire him. They've known about it for a while. That's not a good look either.
It's a title IX investigation, so the University is being really careful. This isn't the first time MSU has been down this road. I hope they learned something from the Larry Nassar case. If not shame on them.

It's a title IX investigation, so the University is being really careful. This isn't the first time MSU has been down this road. I hope they learned something from the Larry Nassar case. If not shame on them.
He openly admitted to having an affair (even if it were consensual which is not clear) with someone that has a working relationship with the university. A sexual assault victim nonetheless. That in and of itself was enough to at a minimum place him on administrative leave. MSU opted to instead let him coach in full capacity. That is really bad leadership, especially as you mention, after the Nassar case. There's a morality clause in his contract. That dude is absolutely toast. He will 100% be fired.

I was a bit surprised CU beat TCU. Not totally shocked, but certainly wasn't expected. TCU doesn't have much of a defense and lost a lot. CU has just about turned over their entire roster. So, in hindsight, makes sense that'd be a game.

Nebraska doesn't have a QB and hasn't beaten anyone in ages.

Colorado State doesn't play defense, so that'll probably be another 'W.'

The game I'd be looking at if I were betting would be the week after @Oregon. That would be the perfect opportunity to fade the public. I don't think they win in Eugene.

I was a bit surprised CU beat TCU. Not totally shocked, but certainly wasn't expected. TCU doesn't have much of a defense and lost a lot. CU has just about turned over their entire roster. So, in hindsight, makes sense that'd be a game.

Nebraska doesn't have a QB and hasn't beaten anyone in ages.

Colorado State doesn't play defense, so that'll probably be another 'W.'

The game I'd be looking at if I were betting would be the week after @Oregon. That would be the perfect opportunity to fade the public. I don't think they win in Eugene.
You are correct on Oregon. I misread the schedule and skipped the Ducks. Two tough ones in a row. That will show us all something.

Putting aside just how bad the things are that Tucker did (read: bad, really bad), let me just toss this out for you:

the man had a NINETY-FIVE MILLION DOLLAR GUARANTEED CONTRACT

Flabbergasting decisions from him. Absolutely unreal amount of money and he could have gone 0-12 for the rest of his life and still gotten it. He did one of only a small handful of things he couldn't and he's going to lose out on an obscene amount of money.

Putting aside just how bad the things are that Tucker did (read: bad, really bad), let me just toss this out for you:

the man had a NINETY-FIVE MILLION DOLLAR GUARANTEED CONTRACT

Flabbergasting decisions from him. Absolutely unreal amount of money and he could have gone 0-12 for the rest of his life and still gotten it. He did one of only a small handful of things he couldn't and he's going to lose out on an obscene amount of money.
Yeah, it's absolutely insane to me to have that little self-control!

For ninety-five million dollars he could have spent years at the bunny ranch. Well you know what they say the little head has no conscious and big head has no brains! He should win idiot of the century!

Party is over for Alabama, they don’t even know who their qb is, their O line is terrible at picking up the blitz. Defense is meh. Alittle late to be figuring things out in that world!!

Party is over for Alabama, they don’t even know who their qb is, their O line is terrible at picking up the blitz. Defense is meh. Alittle late to be figuring things out in that world!!

Yeah, they have a lot of work to do! You're right, it's not just the QB. They're young in some spots. I watched Caleb Downs give up two TDs last week.

Reactions: wikki
I’d like for college football fans to stop acting like TCU and Nebraska are good football teams. They’re not. Beating them is so meaningless that ranking Colorado in the top 25 is embarrassing to college football. The game has to be more than just about hype. Hype will never beat a disciplined and talented team. TCU and Nebraska are not disciplined or talented.

Fact is, Colorado is college football right now. Are they the best team? Nope, line play isn’t there but as Prime says, they’re coming. A lot of these “analysts” know Saban’s time is running out and Dabo’s time is over. Prime will be getting the best of the best recruits. He’s doing it for the kids and I’m for sure rooting for them.

I don't care if Colorado was playing Virginia Union right now this great for college football. Shedeur Sanders is a straight up baller and leader. Yes, Colorado has some serious weaknesses, but dang they are fun to watch. We all just need to let this play out. Just be thankful Coach Sanders genuinely gives a rip about his players futures and treats them with dignity and respect. His "hype" is providing his and the opposing teams players an opportunity to be seen by scouts in every league. Buffalo's win! To quote an old legend. "Whether you like it or you don't learn to love it, because this is the best show going today". Woooooo!

I don't care if Colorado was playing Virginia Union right now this great for college football. Shedeur Sanders is a straight up baller and leader. Yes, Colorado has some serious weaknesses, but dang they are fun to watch. We all just need to let this play out. Just be thankful Coach Sanders genuinely gives a rip about his players futures and treats them with dignity and respect. His "hype" is providing his and the opposing teams players an opportunity to be seen by scouts in every league. Buffalo's win! To quote an old legend. "Whether you like it or you don't learn to love it, because this is the best show going today". Woooooo!
💯

It'll be funny when they finish 5-7 or 6-6, though. USC and Oregon are about to bring everyone back to reality anyway over the next two weeks.

Whole sport is washed this year, nobody's any good.

It really doesn’t matter at this point, the top recruits are gonna want to play for Coach Prime!! It’s about time for some realignment in the top teams. Georgia isn’t dominant this year, they haven’t played a ranked team yet and have struggled. I was at the Georgia vs UT Martin game and wasn’t impressed. Alabama is struggling, don’t even know who the qb is at week 3. For a program of that caliber, really?? The portal has really evened out the playing field, not that I’m against it, but I think it should be more regulated, and NIL needs more regulation. NIL shouldn’t be allowed as a recruiting tool at all, yet it is. It’s a grey area that needs to be defined

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT