ADVERTISEMENT

What surprised you most, college edition

JMU gets a lot of underrated talent. Dontrae Henderson comes to mind this year. They were really close to getting the kid from Dutch Fork last year had Clemson not offered at the last minute. They get a lot of guys like that. Have to remember what some of the smaller schools are able to get through the portal now too.
Yessir! Trae is my guy. Had he not torn his ACL, he may have gotten a SEC/Big 12 O. I thought he was the best out of Flowe (WVU) and Carter (Coastal), even though they’re both really good.

Yessir! Trae is my guy. Had he not torn his ACL, he may have gotten a SEC/Big 12 O. I thought he was the best out of Flowe (WVU) and Carter (Coastal), even though they’re both really good.

His older brother was on the field against VT Saturday. You probably already knew that lol. I thought he might end up there. At Marshall. They've been pretty good too.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
His older brother was on the field against VT Saturday. You probably already knew that lol. I thought he might end up there. At Marshall. They've been pretty good too.
I don’t know Jacobie, but I know Trae and his oldest brother, who played at Campbell. Great kids man. That whole family is talented. Trae’s sister is a big time basketball player too.

OMG man give it a break. JMU has one of the highest winning percentages in all of college football. They’ve won national championships and was always in the hunt for FCS titles. VT hasn’t been relevant since 2011 and what has UVA done? Liberty is a better program than Tech or UVA.
Highest winning percentage vs what?! Not exactly facing Clemson or FSU every week! Delaware compared to UNC OR MIAMI?! SMH…come on now! A natty at FCS! Not exactly facing Tennessee or Ohio St there. Not all schedules are the same. It’s like having a winning percentage vs George Wythe. lol

Reactions: rainman17
If I'm VT or UVA, it's isn't necessarily JMU that I'd be worried about as much, even though JMU did beat UVA a couple weeks ago lol. I'd be asking myself how it is that Duke looks so much better right now. And VT has lost a couple this year to bad teams. Rutgers and Purdue aren't good.

If I'm VT or UVA, it's isn't necessarily JMU that I'd be worried about as much, even though JMU did beat UVA a couple weeks ago lol. I'd be asking myself how it is that Duke looks so much better right now. And VT has lost a couple this year to bad teams. Rutgers and Purdue aren't good.

Duke wasn't a tire fire and made a better hire.

VT makes the right hire, they're instantly back. Wrong hire makes it worse and so on. Fuente left them garbage stacked on top of garbage. Cut left Duke in a decent spot (relative to Duke) and Elko is a superior coach. He's gone either this year or next and Duke will be rolling the dice and could crap out easily but that's everyone. Napier was the hottest name on the circuit, I'm betting he doesn't make it past year four. The right things are being done behind the scenes now in Blacksburg, when the right coach is there it'll pay dividends. This is also why UVA could make a good hire and still struggle, because they do not have the same level of commitment on the back-end, at least right now.

Will be interested to see if Whit survives Pry, a lot of people are clamoring for his head. Ballein likely won't survive (and shouldn't), he's probably the scapegoat. Sands likes Whit a lot, BOV likes Sands a lot and the school itself has never been better and is on the verge of an AAU invite (shocked it didn't happen last time, frankly). I'm betting Whit will get one last try to get it all right unless a certain few more sports implode. If Pry can grow a pair and fire his friends, he might survive but if he goes the Fuente route and stays a friend instead of a boss, the writing is already on the wall. Simple solution for now is Bowen is gone and Marve is on the hot seat and you stop with this "first year coordinator" crap and go get someone who has done the job before. If I'm Whit, I'm forcing Bowen out and Pry simply isn't allowed to hire someone without experience.

VT makes the right hire, they're instantly back. Wrong hire makes it worse and so on. Fuente left them garbage stacked on top of garbage. Cut left Duke in a decent spot (relative to Duke) and Elko is a superior coach. He's gone either this year or next and Duke will be rolling the dice and could crap out easily but that's everyone. Napier was the hottest name on the circuit, I'm betting he doesn't make it past year four. The right things are being done behind the scenes now in Blacksburg, when the right coach is there it'll pay dividends. This is also why UVA could make a good hire and still struggle, because they do not have the same level of commitment on the back-end, at least right now.

Will be interested to see if Whit survives Pry, a lot of people are clamoring for his head. Ballein likely won't survive (and shouldn't), he's probably the scapegoat. Sands likes Whit a lot, BOV likes Sands a lot and the school itself has never been better and is on the verge of an AAU invite (shocked it didn't happen last time, frankly). I'm betting Whit will get one last try to get it all right unless a certain few more sports implode. If Pry can grow a pair and fire his friends, he might survive but if he goes the Fuente route and stays a friend instead of a boss, the writing is already on the wall.

I thought Ballein was already out. Shows you how much I know.

JMU would be at the bottom of the ACC along with Virginia and Virginia Tech. Virginia and Virginia Tech are both out recruiting JMU,but plays in the easier conference/schedule. No real talent with aspirations of get into the NFL Will choose JMU over UVA or Virginia. FACT!!
Nah.

Surprise good: Maryland
Surprise bad: Michigan State

Stop acting like ACC teams & Sun Belt teams have the same scheduling opportunities. Let me know when Virginia or VT will agree to a home and home. JMU fans travel, so can’t tell me it wouldn’t make financial sense. I bet JMU AD would even bite on a 2 for 1.

We all know why neither VA ACC school will schedule JMU regularly. They’re scurrred.

UVA’s guarantee to JMU for this past game was insanely low. Like $150k. Hmmmm. Why would UVA offer an insanely low guarantee amount? Hmmmmm.

Stop acting like ACC teams & Sun Belt teams have the same scheduling opportunities. Let me know when Virginia or VT will agree to a home and home. JMU fans travel, so can’t tell me it wouldn’t make financial sense. I bet JMU AD would even bite on a 2 for 1.

We all know why neither VA ACC school will schedule JMU regularly. They’re scurrred.

UVA’s guarantee to JMU for this past game was insanely low. Like $150k. Hmmmm. Why would UVA offer an insanely low guarantee amount? Hmmmmm.
Why would UVA waste their time with a home and home with the FCS school? They may call themselves FBS but they’re not power five so they really don’t matter. The two divisions don’t have the same opportunities because they’re not the same and they’re damn sure not the same level of talent Or competition. Fact is as I said no real talent is going to go to JMU and play in the Sun Belt as opposed to going to UVA or Virginia Tech and playing in the ACC where you are on TV just about every week. Juice Wells is a perfect example of that.

Man, you have a hard time getting past labels. Is Vanderbilt football impressive due to their power 5 status? What about Boston College?

Wells damn sure did come to JMU, excelled for two years and opted to transfer to USC. Did JMU build him into that player? I would argue no. So…sounds like JMU IS getting that level of talent, no?

This deal with Mel Tucker at MSU is getting messy:

In the latest of a tense back-and-forth between Tucker and the university, his lawyers laid out a case in a 25-page document that includes point-by-point reasons the school shouldn't be allowed to fire him for cause.

The letter on Monday from Foley & Lardner LLP -- titled "Response to Term Notice" -- comes in the wake of the letter from MSU athletic director Alan Haller last week in which Haller states that the school intends to fire Tucker on Tuesday unless reasons are presented why it shouldn't.

"[Tucker] did not engage in unprofessional or unethical behavior or 'moral turpitude' by any stretch of the imagination," the letter from Tucker's lawyers on Monday states. "In fact, as discussed below, under Michigan law, assault and battery does not even constitute 'moral turpitude,' and the flimsy foundation of the university's finding -- a private relationship involving mutual flirting and one instance of consensual phone sex -- falls far short of the mark."

That kinda surprises me. Might end up with a settlement.

This deal with Mel Tucker at MSU is getting messy:

In the latest of a tense back-and-forth between Tucker and the university, his lawyers laid out a case in a 25-page document that includes point-by-point reasons the school shouldn't be allowed to fire him for cause.

The letter on Monday from Foley & Lardner LLP -- titled "Response to Term Notice" -- comes in the wake of the letter from MSU athletic director Alan Haller last week in which Haller states that the school intends to fire Tucker on Tuesday unless reasons are presented why it shouldn't.

"[Tucker] did not engage in unprofessional or unethical behavior or 'moral turpitude' by any stretch of the imagination," the letter from Tucker's lawyers on Monday states. "In fact, as discussed below, under Michigan law, assault and battery does not even constitute 'moral turpitude,' and the flimsy foundation of the university's finding -- a private relationship involving mutual flirting and one instance of consensual phone sex -- falls far short of the mark."

That kinda surprises me. Might end up with a settlement.
These are the steps you have to take when you realize that you truly fumbled an extraordinary opportunity. A $95 million “guaranteed” contract that didn’t say that you would get paid only if you won but, you would get paid if you simply didn’t do anything stupid.

The power of a woman causes another man to think with his little head instead of the big one.

Highest winning percentage vs what?! Not exactly facing Clemson or FSU every week! Delaware compared to UNC OR MIAMI?! SMH…come on now! A natty at FCS! Not exactly facing Tennessee or Ohio St there. Not all schedules are the same. It’s like having a winning percentage vs George Wythe. lol

Reactions: mike salem
Winning percentage means nothing when playing weaker competition. I promise you, JMU would not have that winning percentage playing in a power 5 conference. Real talent is not going to go there and stay there. They may use it as a steppingstone, but no real talent is gonna stay, not if they want a legitimate shot at the NFL. Why do you think neither one of the Green brothers followed their older brother to JMU?

Man, you have a hard time getting past labels. Is Vanderbilt football impressive due to their power 5 status? What about Boston College?

Wells damn sure did come to JMU, excelled for two years and opted to transfer to USC. Did JMU build him into that player? I would argue no. So…sounds like JMU IS getting that level of talent, no?
Boston College and Vanderbilt are still putting players in the NFL! Wells knew there was no chance for him to go to the NFL if he stayed at JMU.

If we're talking about whether JMU could compete in the ACC this year, they definitely could. I promise you no one at VT is clamoring to play them. Not after losing to Purdue and Rutgers the way they did. Marshall's Sun Belt. And they beat UVA. You can debate how the delay affected that game, but I went back and looked, and JMU was up on them early in that one. UVA had their hands full.

I don't know if they could do it every year, but they could this year. The bottom of the ACC is really bad. Even the top isn't that great. That one side of the Sun Belt with Georgia St, JMU, Marshall and App St, whoever comes out of that division would do alright in the ACC right now. There's as much talent on those rosters as there are some ACC teams.

Last edited:
I can picture @springer76 and @HooSprings out at a game. The former trying to keep things under control, while the latter talking trash and berating the officials. Can't you? I've thought about that. I bet you that's a real sight lol!!
Considering i was a back judge, I don’t see that happening. You’ll never see me blaming officials for a game. I didn’t like the unsportsmanlike conduct against Highland Springs when they played stonebridge, up there two years ago, but that wasn’t the reason why Highland Springs lost. Anyone who has been at a game with me would know that I’m not afraid to speak my mind about decisions made at any game. As a matter fact, I have been dismissed from many stadiums over my 40 years.

Until someone can actually do the job, no one has any right to complain about officiating. There is actually a penalty on every play. EVERY PLAY! A good official only throws a penalty if it directly affects the play.

JMU has quite a few former & current NFL players. What are you smoking?
Do you really want to sit and compare how many JMU players are in the NFL compared to UVA or Virginia Tech? I’m sure you will find that the difference is laughable.

Reactions: rainman17
If we're talking about whether JMU could compete in the ACC this year, they definitely could. I promise you no one at VT is clamoring to play them. Not after losing to Purdue and Rutgers the way they did. Marshall's Sun Belt. And they beat UVA. You can debate how the delay affected that game, but I went back and looked, and JMU was up on them early in that one. UVA had their hands full.

I don't know if they could do it every year, but they could this year. The bottom of the ACC is really bad. Even the top isn't that great. That one side of the Sun Belt with Georgia St, JMU, Marshall and App St, whoever comes out of that division would do alright in the ACC right now. There's as much talent on those rosters as there are some ACC teams.
JMU would have a similar record to Virginia and Virginia Tech playing in the ACC. Any team from the Sun Belt you put onto an ACC schedule would be lucky to win a quarter of the games. That’s two out of eight for the mathematicians out there.

Could JMU compete with the low end of of the ACC yes , could they compete in the ACC regularly I don’t believe so, will they out recruit the p5 state schools in head to heads for top talent I doubt it, but will they be successful yes because they play in a conference that suits their abilities at this juncture since they made a jump to FBS, I think Liberty University is in the same boat they play teams who are similar in skill but when they played a horrid VT team last year they lost. JMU took an abysmal UVA team to the wire and won by what 2 points ? A win is a win but let’s not crown them world beaters for beating a team who’s really been struggling and started a true freshman. Reality is often hard to deal with in cfb there’s large differences in p5(sec/big10) and the rest of the p5(pac2, acc, big 12) and the group of 5 schools — occasionally a school plays up and outplays their level/conference but it’s not routine.

JMU would have a similar record to Virginia and Virginia Tech playing in the ACC. Any team from the Sun Belt you put onto an ACC schedule would be lucky to win a quarter of the games. That’s two out of eight for the mathematicians out there.
Yes. This fact is totally a fact and not an unsupported opinion.

Do you really want to sit and compare how many JMU players are in the NFL compared to UVA or Virginia Tech? I’m sure you will find that the difference is laughable.
Oh, I thought we were discussing if NFL talent comes to JMU. Seems like you’re changing the conversation. Words have meaning. Seems like you’re always meaning something different than what you’re saying…

Let me know what we’re talking about and I’ll try to get on board.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports

Will be interested to see if Whit survives Pry, a lot of people are clamoring for his head. Ballein likely won't survive (and shouldn't), he's probably the scapegoat. Sands likes Whit a lot, BOV likes Sands a lot and the school itself has never been better and is on the verge of an AAU invite (shocked it didn't happen last time, frankly). I'm betting Whit will get one last try to get it all right unless a certain few more sports implode. If Pry can grow a pair and fire his friends, he might survive but if he goes the Fuente route and stays a friend instead of a boss, the writing is already on the wall. Simple solution for now is Bowen is gone and Marve is on the hot seat and you stop with this "first year coordinator" crap and go get someone who has done the job before. If I'm Whit, I'm forcing Bowen out and Pry simply isn't allowed to hire someone without experience.
I have read a lot people saying that Ballein has to go. What has he been doing behind the scenes to cause so many to want him out?

^I'm not saying they'd compete for titles every year, but really that hasn't been the case for anyone except Clemson recently. There's not some huge gap between those conferences right now. I wouldn't act like some middling ACC school would dominate the Sun Belt. They wouldn't. Hell, didn't Marshall just beat ND last year?? When's the last time an ACC team beat them lol? ODU beat VT. App St beat UNC. This isn't even one of App St's better teams and that game went to OT this year. Coastal had some good teams under Chadwell. All within the last few years. The gap is at the top, but that's really only one or two teams.

Last edited:
It’s ok. HooSprings lives on another planet and we can just let him do that.

Bet he doesn’t even know that the Sun Belt East football is rated highest after the power conferences.

It’s ok. HooSprings lives on another planet and we can just let him do that.

Bet he doesn’t even know that the Sun Belt East football is rated highest after the power conferences.
As you said,BEHIND the power conferences! What 2 state schools are in a power conference? 🤔

Lol. You’re a hoot. Maybe Virginia will win the game vs William & Mary. I’m not very confident that they will.

Lol. You’re a hoot. Maybe Virginia will win the game vs William & Mary. I’m not very confident that they will.
You do realize that William and Mary lost their all American running back, right? I have Virginia beating Boston College this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT