ADVERTISEMENT

What type of teams make it to the finals and who looks like that already?

Aug 11, 2014
I was reading the Battlefield update and started wondering about the assessment of Chancellor. Are they built to win in the playoffs (possible cold, snow and icy weather). Then I wondered what the teams that have been to the finals typically look like. I haven't paid attention long enough, but has there been a pass happy team that has won it all in the last 10 years? In the last 3 years, EV has lost to bigger run happy teams in round two of the playoffs. Woodgroove, JF (ok not bigger but tricky), and last year Courtland. I think we have evolved into that type of team (or evolving). The 4A east conf. 19 and 20 have some heavy run teams... Louisa, KG, EV, Dinwiddie (from what I have read).

Reactions: BleedingNavy
The Amherst state title and runner-up teams were very run heavy with some good receivers that could beat you. Broad Run and Briar Woods were very balanced. Dinwiddie was run heavy when they won it all. Louisa was also run-heavy in 2006. Of course all of Salem's title teams could run, but last year's team was more balanced. Lake Taylor's veer offense was powerful and fun to watch. In 3A, Lord Botetourt, Magna Vista, and Lafayette (they're 4A now) all ran well. So yeah, the one thing in common is they could all run the ball really well. The jury is still out on some teams about whether they can run the ball on good defenses, but we'll know a lot more in about three weeks. Dinwiddie, Louisa, EV, KG, Salem, Amherst all still love to run it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
Dinwiddie runs a spread no huddle offense. We will run if able, but passing the ball around surely does not bother us. In 2013, we won the state by running the ball with Williams and Co. and well designed screen passes. Threw some deep to keep teams honest, but not too often. This years offense mixes screens, hitches and deep routes to compliment the running game. The thing that has intrigued me the most about the Generals is how everyone is contributing. Louisa is a good example. Its tough to defend five or six legit weapons. I still think Chancellor has a good shot. They just need to get hot and stay there.

Dinwiddie runs a spread no huddle offense. We will run if able, but passing the ball around surely does not bother us. In 2013, we won the state by running the ball with Williams and Co. and well designed screen passes. Threw some deep to keep teams honest, but not too often. This years offense mixes screens, hitches and deep routes to compliment the running game. The thing that has intrigued me the most about the Generals is how everyone is contributing. Louisa is a good example. Its tough to defend five or six legit weapons. I still think Chancellor has a good shot. They just need to get hot and stay there.
I would be surprised if Chancellor gets too far in the playoffs. I don't think their defense will hold up against the better teams....and it seems like they are extremely undisciplined with penalties. I've read the game reviews before about so many penalties being called on them, and against EV it was double-digit penalties also. You can't win big-time games with constant penalties.

I was reading the Battlefield update and started wondering about the assessment of Chancellor. Are they built to win in the playoffs (possible cold, snow and icy weather). Then I wondered what the teams that have been to the finals typically look like. I haven't paid attention long enough, but has there been a pass happy team that has won it all in the last 10 years? In the last 3 years, EV has lost to bigger run happy teams in round two of the playoffs. Woodgroove, JF (ok not bigger but tricky), and last year Courtland. I think we have evolved into that type of team (or evolving). The 4A east conf. 19 and 20 have some heavy run teams... Louisa, KG, EV, Dinwiddie (from what I have read).
Funny you bring this up. So I read that Brentsville is running the same offense as JF the wishbone. Wonder how that's going to work for them

I would be surprised if Chancellor gets too far in the playoffs. I don't think their defense will hold up against the better teams....and it seems like they are extremely undisciplined with penalties. I've read the game reviews before about so many penalties being called on them, and against EV it was double-digit penalties also. You can't win big-time games with constant penalties.
Wasn't that game played at EV? Drops the mic

EV has always got their fair share of penalties....especially the 15-yd variety

Wasn't that game played at EV? Drops the mic

That's funny. Was that an attempt at passive aggressive? I understand your comment (although not from a Sherando fan). I was thinking Friday night must have seemed like home cooking to you. But when you watch film, the big calls went Sherandos way. The majority of the penalties on Sherando were false start or procedural (they seem to have trouble with the 7 men on the line or two men in motion needing to set for 1 sec). The two holds were very obvious on film. The one call that even had me going how did that go EVs way (the offsides on Sherando that looked like a false start). They actually got that right. It could have gone either way to be honest, but the first guy to jump offsides was the left side of the defense. Film don't lie. There was a call that they got wrong. The fumble by Rivers was a fumble. Diago hit him while he was in front of the goal line. At no point was Diago in the endzone. That hit caused the fumble. Again though it was pretty close and I understand how they can miss it. The other was the missed pass interference. I was with you though a lot of penalties. The second half was lopsided the other way though. EV kept getting in their own way.

Brentsville is 3-0...scoring 35+ per game. Of course we could all put on uniforms and probably make a better team than the ones they've played
I'm not trying to get in trouble this year or I would of said that myself I just think it's funny they are running the wishbone

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Not an officiating thing, but this is sort of amusing. Hoos sent me the Dinwiddie at James Monroe game. He warned me that the announcers were just a tiny touch biased. After all, it was a hometown broadcast. But, man-o-man, they did there best to talk up JM. It got comical after awhile, considering the score.

Teams that can run and play great defense have a great chance of winning a championship. Having a game breaker receiver also makes a big difference. Salem's 7 State Champion ships all had those things. If you can run and play defense you are always in the game and some of these flashy high powered offenses just aren't used to getting stopped

Not an officiating thing, but this is sort of amusing. Hoos sent me the Dinwiddie at James Monroe game. He warned me that the announcers were just a tiny touch biased. After all, it was a hometown broadcast. But, man-o-man, they did there best to talk up JM. It got comical after awhile, considering the score.
Another reason why you and I had that talk about why I disliked James Monroe

I was like, "you've gotta be kidding me!" with some of their comments on JM, and trying to imply Dinwiddie was trying to run up the score.

I was reading the Battlefield update and started wondering about the assessment of Chancellor. Are they built to win in the playoffs (possible cold, snow and icy weather). Then I wondered what the teams that have been to the finals typically look like. I haven't paid attention long enough, but has there been a pass happy team that has won it all in the last 10 years? In the last 3 years, EV has lost to bigger run happy teams in round two of the playoffs. Woodgroove, JF (ok not bigger but tricky), and last year Courtland. I think we have evolved into that type of team (or evolving). The 4A east conf. 19 and 20 have some heavy run teams... Louisa, KG, EV, Dinwiddie (from what I have read).[/QUOTE

That's funny. Was that an attempt at passive aggressive? I understand your comment (although not from a Sherando fan). I was thinking Friday night must have seemed like home cooking to you. But when you watch film, the big calls went Sherandos way. The majority of the penalties on Sherando were false start or procedural (they seem to have trouble with the 7 men on the line or two men in motion needing to set for 1 sec). The two holds were very obvious on film. The one call that even had me going how did that go EVs way (the offsides on Sherando that looked like a false start). They actually got that right. It could have gone either way to be honest, but the first guy to jump offsides was the left side of the defense. Film don't lie. There was a call that they got wrong. The fumble by Rivers was a fumble. Diago hit him while he was in front of the goal line. At no point was Diago in the endzone. That hit caused the fumble. Again though it was pretty close and I understand how they can miss it. The other was the missed pass interference. I was with you though a lot of penalties. The second half was lopsided the other way though. EV kept getting in their own way.
well actually , No I wasn't being passive aggressive, I was speaking more in terms of how the refs were way to involved in every play of the game. and how it took them a extended amount of time to come to a final decision on the actual call they were going to make. I don't agree with your assessment of the actual calls, but it's not the reason Sherando lost the game so it don't matter. There were bad calls for both teams all night.

Reactions: OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT