ADVERTISEMENT

Which region is stronger and deeper in 2017?

hamspear

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2009
Arrowhead stadium
We all heard how the East was going to dominate the West for a long time back in 2013 going forward when teams were made to drop down and play against equivalent enrollment teams across the state, and the East did dominate for two years. So now with the current set-up, what area of the State is going to dominate this year and going forward. Where is football getting better? And where is football going backwards?

Is Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor in the same region? Northern Virginia has to prove they can get by Salem. It might help if you could define these regions

I don't think the changes are that dramatic. If you discard the over-statements that "the east is substantially better" than the west, I don't think there is a lot of change.

Having said that, (and looking at the big picture), I think Region A is slightly down from their peak, and Region C is somewhat stronger than they were.

Truthfully, in my eyes the changes are insignificant.

Reactions: gwb16
When it comes to East vs West..

Eastern teams: LT, Dinwiddie, Monacan, patrick henry ash, Heritage NN will have played elite 5a and 6a teams for example LC Bird, manchester, thomas dale, hermitage, HSHS etc in richmond and the 757 teams will have played norview, hampton, salem Vb, oscar smith etc..

Western half of the state is primarily 4A and below... but there are more quality 4a squads in the west due to the sheer number of 4a teams.

If there is an undefeated west 4a and east 4a... i would lean east as having a harder path but tht is where it ends. Keep in mind I am also from the east :). I'd say at the top level the east and west is very close when you are talking about the top 4A teams. I believe we are 2/2 since the re-alignment?

Winning a state championship is a huge acheivement and the path is very hard on both side. Plus you never know what will happen when u play an unfamiliar opponent for the first time.

Winning a 4A title is harder than ever before since the re-alignment!

Ahh come on, you know the only elite team is Monacan!!!

Just kidding. You are always one of the most realistic with your evaluations.

We rode out to Salem yesterday to the 4a semi-finals. Riding by Salem Stadium and Williams at LU did nothing but stir the desire for some football.

And don't ever think Coach Billy Mills ain't tough. We stopped by Moore's Country Store and got hotdogs. Knowing that their chili is blazing hot, I got just a dribble. Coach Mills got his loaded. I'm trying to pretend that I can take it, and he wolfed his down and never broke a sweat. I was a boy among men.

Ahh come on, you know the only elite team is Monacan!!!

Just kidding. You are always one of the most realistic with your evaluations.

We rode out to Salem yesterday to the 4a semi-finals. Riding by Salem Stadium and Williams at LU did nothing but stir the desire for some football.

And don't ever think Coach Billy Mills ain't tough. We stopped by Moore's Country Store and got hotdogs. Knowing that their chili is blazing hot, I got just a dribble. Coach Mills got his loaded. I'm trying to pretend that I can take it, and he wolfed his down and never broke a sweat. I was a boy among men.
You are quite the sissified yuppie DP. Naïve would be a better word to describe your comments. You seem to have forgotten about the huge bottle of Rolaids Coach Mills keeps on his desk. I would bet he had a pocket full that day. lol

Football season is coming soon enough and whether the West/East is better doesn't make a bit of difference come State Championship day. For arguments sake 4 schools (Salem 3x's, Sherando 1x, Lake Taylor 2x's and Dinwiddie 2x's) have ended up in the final since-realignment, all four have one loss and Salem has two titles. Two titles for the West and two for East.

To me, who has the best region could never be validated based on schedules (Thank you Mbonape1). The real question(s)to ask would be: (1) When is someone else going to crash the party, (2) Will there be cross bracketing to intensify this debate, (3) Will someone stop Salem's three year run of state final appearances.

Only time will tell. We are all undefeated at this point, so lets (in two 1/2 months) get ready to rumble.

I would love to see some new contenders... as long as it isnt from the Jefferson district lol... only bc hoos isnt here to debate me!

These boards are going to be going nuts by week 5. Its gonna be crazy this year on here!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT