ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your team's biggest rival?

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
With the Glass-Heritage game coming up this Friday it makes me wonder about other rivalries around the state. The Glass-Heritage rivalry is definitely the best in Central Va., maybe in the entire state. I put it up there with Phoebus-Hampton in the Tidewater area or Varina-Highland Springs in Richmond.

The rivalry between them is always intense, hard hitting, and very entertaining. The two schools are separated by less than 4 miles. Most of the players have known each other since little league in fact, most of them were teammates at some point in either little league or middle school. There are 3 feeder programs for the two high schools, Sandusky Middle feeds to Heritage, Linkhorne Middle feeds to Glass, and Dunbar Middle is split between both Heritage and Glass. These factors definitely make for a very interesting dynamic.

With that being said, who is your team's biggest rival and why?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
With the Glass-Heritage game coming up this Friday it makes me wonder about other rivalries around the state. The Glass-Heritage rivalry is definitely the best in Central Va., maybe in the entire state. I put it up there with Phoebus-Hampton in the Tidewater area or Varina-Highland Springs in Richmond.

The rivalry between them is always intense, hard hitting, and very entertaining. The two schools are separated by less than 4 miles. Most of the players have known each other since little league in fact, most of them were teammates at some point in either little league or middle school. There are 3 feeder programs for the two high schools, Sandusky Middle feeds to Heritage, Linkhorne Middle feeds to Glass, and Dunbar Middle is split between both Heritage and Glass. These factors definitely make for a very interesting dynamic.

With that being said, who is your team's biggest rival and why?
Not as big of course but lots of Amherst fans would say Brookville. But between 2005, 2006 and 2007 none bigger than Amherst and Salem. Those were some of the best and largest crowds ever

GW Danville and E. C. Glass may be the biggest rivalry in the state of Virginia. As Vols said, Heritage and Glass is huge, but the Toppers and Eagles have heated history. Glass leads the all time series at 49-39-6. Man what I would do to have gone to these games!

I personally like the Amherst game but you can't argue the Glass/GW rivalry!

Pulaski for Salem. Until 5ish years ago they were the only team to hold a winning record over Salem (with like a minimum of 3-4 games). Pulaski's complete collapse over the past decade helped Salem close the gap and overtake it. Lots of good games between the teams and the fanbases used to absolutely pack the stadium no matter where it was played and they did it just recently when two 9-0 teams met in Salem three years ago. Unfortunately, Pulaski got terrible for a long stretch of time and has robbed some of the fun of the rivalry but it's still a big game for both teams.

Reactions: VolNation85
GW Danville and E. C. Glass may be the biggest rivalry in the state of Virginia. As Vols said, Heritage and Glass is huge, but the Toppers and Eagles have heated history. Glass leads the all time series at 49-39-6. Man what I would do to have gone to these games!

I personally like the Amherst game but you can't argue the Glass/GW rivalry!
My only disagreement with that is that they're not obligated to play each other anymore since they're in different districts. When they were both in the old Western Valley there were some heated games. But even as recent as 2016 when they played it didn't really mean much because there was no recent history.

My only disagreement with that is that they're not obligated to play each other anymore since they're in different districts. When they were both in the old Western Valley there were some heated games. But even as recent as 2016 when they played it didn't really mean much because there was no recent history.
I respect it. Most kids today don't even understand how big rivalries are anymore. Though Glass and Danville has the history, kids from Danville think that Magna Vista (opened in 1987) are GW's biggest rivals.

Reactions: VolNation85
I respect it. Most kids today don't even understand how big rivalries are anymore. Though Glass and Danville has the history, kids from Danville think that Magna Vista (opened in 1987) are GW's biggest rivals.
I have to admit, I'm from the Lynchburg area and I thought that Magna Vista is GW's biggest rival or Dan River. Does GW and DR even play in the regular season? Shows how much I know.

Pulaski for Salem. Until 5ish years ago they were the only team to hold a winning record over Salem (with like a minimum of 3-4 games). Pulaski's complete collapse over the past decade helped Salem close the gap and overtake it. Lots of good games between the teams and the fanbases used to absolutely pack the stadium no matter where it was played and they did it just recently when two 9-0 teams met in Salem three years ago. Unfortunately, Pulaski got terrible for a long stretch of time and has robbed some of the fun of the rivalry but it's still a big game for both teams.
I would have guessed Salem's biggest rival would be one of the Roanoke city/county schools. Any specific reason that it's Pulaski rather than one of the Roanoke schools?

Culpeper would probably close down the school for a week if they could beat Eastern View in football. It's kind of hard to say it's a rivalry when you've never beaten the other team since it was opened...10 years now. IF Culpeper ever figures out how to put a team together (players are there), it will be a very big rivalry.

Culpeper would probably close down the school for a week if they could beat Eastern View in football. It's kind of hard to say it's a rivalry when you've never beaten the other team since it was opened...10 years now. IF Culpeper ever figures out how to put a team together (players are there), it will be a very big rivalry.

Seems like a big basketball rivalry up there too, with them playing in that HUGE gym at Culpeper Middle School when they play.

Reactions: OCBoy
Seems like a big basketball rivalry up there too, with them playing in that HUGE gym at Culpeper Middle School when they play.
The basketball rivalry has developed since EV has gotten better over the past 3 years. They only play in the CMS gym when Culpeper is the home team. I would say the atmosphere is better in the EV gym when they play each other.

Anytime Lafayette plays intra city Warhill or Jamestown, regardless of record the crowds are overflowing, huge and loud. This past week the Warhill / Lafayette game filled every seat and ringed the field fence 10 deep. The parking was so huge it took me a new record of 45 minutes to leave. 3,000 or so. The Warhill student section dressed in black and the band get a 10 for chants and noise. I can only imagine what the poor refs thought when the usual games have few visitors and a much more subdued environment.

I have to admit, I'm from the Lynchburg area and I thought that Magna Vista is GW's biggest rival or Dan River. Does GW and DR even play in the regular season? Shows how much I know.
They play GW in the annual benefit game! Whenever GW plays Dan River it is a battle. In basketball, if you're not there 2 hours before tip off, you're not getting in. GW and MV is a rivalry just because GW doesn't play Glass every year like they used to. I played for GW's middle school team in 8th grade. When we played the Dunbar Poets it was heated. We played down the hill at Dunbar too. It was my first ever game I started and those boys hated our guts. I don't think we hated them the way they hated us (or understood just how much history we have). My dad tells me that your Heritage Pioneers and GW used to be heated. Y'all used to come down 29 and put a beating on Danville and vice versa. Way before my time but I like the Danville/Lynchburg area games.

I would have guessed Salem's biggest rival would be one of the Roanoke city/county schools. Any specific reason that it's Pulaski rather than one of the Roanoke schools?

The area schools suck. Until Northside won in 3A in 2009 they didn't have a state title among them since the VHSL went to the 1A-6A classification. While Northside was good (read: their dirty coach was there) the games between Salem and them were better and NS even won a couple but that does little to change the other 25 years before or the few since where Salem has dominated them. No area team likes Salem and they all would trade in a boatload of other wins for one over Salem but to make a rivalry you need to actually be competitive with your rival for the most part and Pulaski is the only one remotely close historically although the importance of the game has dipped substantially in the last decade.

Last edited:
The area schools suck. Until Northside won in 3A in 2009 they didn't have a state title among them since the VHSL went to the 1A-6A classification. While Northside was good (read: their dirty coach was there) the games between Salem and them were better and NS even won a couple but that does little to change the other 25 years before or the few since where Salem has dominated them. No area team likes Salem and they all would trade in a boatload of other wins for one over Salem but to make a rivalry you need to actually be competitive with your rival for the most part and Pulaski is the only one remotely close historically although the importance of the game has dipped substantially in the last decade.
Not saying you're wrong but, that's crazy and hard to believe! No teams in the area, other than Salem, had a championship before NS 2009? Fleming never won one back in the Lee Suggs or Jermaine Hardy days?

Redistricting and reclassification has hurt some rivalries. While Heritage/Glass is certainly a city rivalry the GW/Glass rivalry is something far different. They have met around 90 times in their history and there were multiple games where both were undefeated with the winner getting the playoff berth and undefeated season and the loser got a seat until next year. That rivalry is definitely on the short list of top state of Virginia rivalries. GW had some nice games with Heritage but, they never remotely approached the intensity of the Glass/GW series and I feel pretty confident most old timers who attended the games at City Stadium and J.T. Christopher would tell you they are hard pressed to come up with many, if any, games to match the atmosphere when the Hilltoppers and Cardinals/Eagles hooked up.

Yeah I don't think it is anymore from what others say. Heritage is Glass' biggest rivalry now

I've though about this most of the day. I'm not sure Dinwiddie has "one" big rivalry?

The list is long for the teams we enjoy having success over, but I don't know of a one that would qualify as a good old fashion rivalry.

For much of its football existence, Dinwiddie took a lot of whippings. When the tide finally turned, it sure was good to finally start getting the best of Meadowbrook and Matoaca, among others.

Our games in recent years against Lake Taylor and Hanover have really had special meaning. And of course our two games against Salem have been wars.

I guess the closest thing to a matchup that rises to rivalry status might be playing Monacan. But that is so for a very special reason. Coach Henderson at Monacan was a long time Dinwiddie assistant coach. He is highly respected here and elsewhere as a fine coach, and an even better person. But, that doesn't preclude Coach Mills and all of Dinwiddie from wanting to hang a loss on him.

About a million years ago, when I was a boy, there was no rivalry bigger than Petersburg vs Hopewell. Dinwiddie/Hopewell is a highly anticipated game these days, but since they are in different classes it just doesn't have the same "ring" as it might otherwise have.

I think maybe more true rivalries have stayed in place out in SWVA than in other areas. The rapid growth in NOVA and in many areas of Tidewater have snuffed out a lot of traditional rivalries. And the changing demographics and populations of the larger inner city schools have taken their toll as well.

Anytime Lafayette plays intra city Warhill or Jamestown, regardless of record the crowds are overflowing, huge and loud. This past week the Warhill / Lafayette game filled every seat and ringed the field fence 10 deep. The parking was so huge it took me a new record of 45 minutes to leave. 3,000 or so. The Warhill student section dressed in black and the band get a 10 for chants and noise. I can only imagine what the poor refs thought when the usual games have few visitors and a much more subdued environment.
I was incorrect, attendance Friday night was 4,500. Don't wonder the traffic jam!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT