ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the sleeper during the playoffs?

LT93Bunny

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 25, 2012
Last year Stone Bridge surprise many with their playoff play.
What two teams out of each region can be that team to shock someone this year?

South
Varina
Bethel

North
North Stafford
Patrick Henry-Roanoke

I'd say in the south I'd take Indian River & Varina. Varina could spoil somebody's day. In the North I have no clue. I feel like the North is more top heavy than the south.

Oh, I'll go with Albemarle.

I think Albemarle is better than I thought they were and a pretty good team. But when I look at the seeding I just can't find a win for them. MAYBE if they get paired with Freeman but I don't think they can beat any of the top tier 5A's from the richmond area which is who I think they will be paired against. 5A is tough.

Reactions: OCBoy
If Albemarle wins out, they'll finish 8-2 which should give them a pretty good first-round draw. Maybe a win could spark a run, but we'll see.

If Albemarle wins out, they'll finish 8-2 which should give them a pretty good first-round draw. Maybe a win could spark a run, but we'll see.

Yeah now that I look at it... They are not paired with the Richmond region in the first round so I don't think... so they could def rattle off a few wins and maybe get hot. We shall see... @HoosFan05 if the playoffs started today who would they be paired against?

Looks like Albemarle would be paired with Orange.

Oh wow... I had it all jacked up. Yeah I would agree that they could be a sleeper then. Still think the elite 5A teams from Richmond such as HS, Bird, and Herm is where their train stops though. We will see.

If Albemarle doesn't play Orange first, then it'll most likely be a Commonwealth team. Last year they played North Stafford first and it was a shootout in the rain.

If Albemarle doesn't play Orange first, then it'll most likely be a Commonwealth team. Last year they played North Stafford first and it was a shootout in the rain.

The final score was WAY closer than the game. It was essentially a blowout until Albemarle finally scored some points to make it respectable. I was there & it was a laugher after halftime. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the rain, they just moved it to Stafford's turf field because the rain from the night before made the natural surface at NS a concern.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Oh wow... I had it all jacked up. Yeah I would agree that they could be a sleeper then. Still think the elite 5A teams from Richmond such as HS, Bird, and Herm is where their train stops though. We will see.
I've got to throw Stone Bridge in the mix with the Richmond trio. I'm also very curious about what Hampton will do.

For the record, Albemarle had to hit a last second field goal to get by 3-6 Monticello last night (3A squad). That might make me second guess my pick.

Yeah I am officially out on Albemarle.. If they are scrambling to beat Monticello they are going to get molly-whopped in the 5A playoffs

HSHS and it's fans are looking forward to the playoffs. Since that 1 point loss to Meadowbrook in game 3, HS has righted the ship and is clicking on ALL cylinders! All but 2 of our opponents have winning records, last night they destroyed a good 7-2 Patrick Henry team 49-0. PH had no answer for the Springer offense and the Springer Defense hand all the answers for the PH offense. You could see from midway through the 1st quarter that PH was in big trouble.

I've got to throw Stone Bridge in the mix with the Richmond trio. I'm also very curious about what Hampton will do.

Hampton is good and Dazz Newsome can flat out ball. That loss to Heritage NN is bad. Not terrible but makes me question them. Maybe it was a bad night. Seems like everyone in 5A has a bad loss except Hermitage and Bird who lost to other 5A and 6A powers in tight games. The Peninsula District reminds me of the Dominion District except I think the Dominion is slightly better at the top and in the middle. But the Dominion is aweful at the bottom.

HSHS and it's fans are looking forward to the playoffs. Since that 1 point loss to Meadowbrook in game 3, HS has righted the ship and is clicking on ALL cylinders! All but 2 of our opponents have winning records, last night they destroyed a good 7-2 Patrick Henry team 49-0. PH had no answer for the Springer offense and the Springer Defense hand all the answers for the PH offense. You could see from midway through the 1st quarter that PH was in big trouble.

No Doubt HS is in the equation in a major way. Probably have Man-for-Man the most talent. 5A is the hardest to win out of all the divisions and last year was maybe the toughest. 5A is still plenty strong state wide this season. If anyone is sleeping on HS they have been in a coma the last 5 years

No Doubt HS is in the equation in a major way. Probably have Man-for-Man the most talent. 5A is the hardest to win out of all the divisions and last year was maybe the toughest. 5A is still plenty strong state wide this season. If anyone is sleeping on HS they have been in a coma the last 5 years

I will say, the future for Highland Springs Football is very, very bright! I have been to all jv games and most of the 9th grade games too. Both jv and 9th grade are undefeated and plsying extremely good! JV has a qb that has around 1,500 yds passing. Good wideouts and several good sized , fast running backs. Good size and talent on both lines O & D.
The 9th grade qb is left handed and has a rifle arm and quite accurate. The rest if that team has a ton of young talent too.
We have 23 seniors on varsity, but don't expect HS to havea down year next year!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I will say, the future for Highland Springs Football is very, very bright! I have been to all jv games and most of the 9th grade games too. Both jv and 9th grade are undefeated and plsying extremely good! JV has a qb that has around 1,500 yds passing. Good wideouts and several good sized , fast running backs. Good size and talent on both lines O & D.
The 9th grade qb is left handed and has a rifle arm and quite accurate. The rest if that team has a ton of young talent too.
We have 23 seniors on varsity, but don't expect HS to havea down year next year!

There is something in the water out there!

Hampton is good and Dazz Newsome can flat out ball. That loss to Heritage NN is bad. Not terrible but makes me question them. Maybe it was a bad night. Seems like everyone in 5A has a bad loss except Hermitage and Bird who lost to other 5A and 6A powers in tight games. The Peninsula District reminds me of the Dominion District except I think the Dominion is slightly better at the top and in the middle. But the Dominion is aweful at the bottom.
I saw Bird against Manchester. The Skyhawks were terrible that game. I can't get any enthusiasm that they will make a run after seeing that game. Running backs never broke any tackles. Secondary was atrocious. Special teams were questionable. They are good enough to beat most teams, I'm sure, but they won't beat the special teams in the playoffs, unless I really caught them on the one night that they were just playing bad, but I think the team is just short of what it will take to get by both Hermitage AND Highland Springs in the playoffs.

Manchester is a good football team, but I don't think they're going to compete with the best teams in 6A for a state title.

I do feel like this is going to be a repeat for Highland Springs despite the mysterious loss to Meadowbrook (if it was college I would have thought the mob paid off some guys to throw the game). Hermitage might be the hungriest school for a title, so I won't be surprised to see them do it.

I really don't see a sleeper running the gauntlet that the 5A playoffs has been the past few years and winning a title, but getting two or three playoff wins is surely going to happen for somebody that's not really on our radar.

I saw Bird against Manchester. The Skyhawks were terrible that game. I can't get any enthusiasm that they will make a run after seeing that game. Running backs never broke any tackles. Secondary was atrocious. Special teams were questionable. They are good enough to beat most teams, I'm sure, but they won't beat the special teams in the playoffs, unless I really caught them on the one night that they were just playing bad, but I think the team is just short of what it will take to get by both Hermitage AND Highland Springs in the playoffs.

Manchester is a good football team, but I don't think they're going to compete with the best teams in 6A for a state title.

I do feel like this is going to be a repeat for Highland Springs despite the mysterious loss to Meadowbrook (if it was college I would have thought the mob paid off some guys to throw the game). Hermitage might be the hungriest school for a title, so I won't be surprised to see them do it.

I really don't see a sleeper running the gauntlet that the 5A playoffs has been the past few years and winning a title, but getting two or three playoff wins is surely going to happen for somebody that's not really on our radar.

I agree with you about the Manchester vs Bird game. I really agree with everything you said. Its still Bird though, a ball will bounce right off the ground into one of their waiting hands somehow. It always happens.

I will say that everyone in 5A has had one of those games this year. HS losing to Meadowbrook was like Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson. I would have never thought that would happen. Its unexplainable. But they got their mojo back now.

Hermitage is the only 5A that hasn't had a terrible loss. Losing to HS by one score is respectable. I believe Freeman is undefeated but they play Hermitage on Friday I believe. Freeman has played a weak schedule thus far but has won soundly. I expect Hermitage to win that.

Manchester's will be a force next year as they have a lot of talent coming back. Honestly Monacan outplayed them on Friday. There were several perplexing calls and scenarios. The thing for Manchester is there just aren't that many good 6A teams. None really in Richmond that come to mind. Oscar Smith has a great defense but i am hearing that they still aren't clicking on offense like in years past in the passing game.

For 5A I would say Herm and HS are the two best but I wouldn't count out Bird just yet. If Herm doesn't break through this year then when??? Highland Springs has the most talent but can I trust them to not slip on a banana peel again for the next 5 games? Its going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Albemarle will be considered average to below average in 5A playoffs

Cal Preps top 10 public schools in Virginia

1. Highland Springs (5A)
2. L.C. Bird (5A)
3. Dinwiddie (4A)
4. Lake Braddock (6A)
5. Stone Bridge (5A)
6. Oscar Smith (6A)
7. Hermitage (5A)
8. Westfield (6A)
9. Woodgrove (4A)
10. Amherst (4A)

next 10:

11. South County (6A)
12. Manchester (6A)
13. Hampton (5A)
14. Appomattox (2A)
15. Broad Run (5A)
16. Salem (4A)
17. Brooke Point (5A)
18. Eastern View (4A)
19. Douglas Freeman (5A)
20. Potomac Falls (5A)

9 of top 20 are 5A, only 5 are 6A and 5 are 4A.

Reactions: OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT