ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the sleeper during the playoffs?

Grafton would shock me... What is their record?
Eastern View is undefeated right? I expect them to make a run.
I think Heritage NN is pretty good so that wouldn't shock me.
I think Monacan is a tough out so that wouldn't shock me
Louisa might be able to right the ship too.

I'd say a Grafton and a Powhatan would have me scratching my head.

Reactions: schoolboard
What two teams out of each region can be that team to shock someone this year?

If a healthy Amherst wins would that shock anyone?Monacan haven't been in a close game all year and the schedule is weak.The only really good team they've played is Bird and they lost by 40,please correct me if i'm wrong.Eastern View should be a favorite with Dinwiddie,LT and Heritage.Chancellor would be my sleeper in East.In the West I think Amherst,Woodgrove and Salem would be the favorites and my sleeper would be WB.

Reactions: Cats and Dogs
It's not about the record. It has everything to do with program and schedule..a decent program with a simple schedule can cruise every year and put themselves into a position to make a deep run. But they don't earn it.

I don't think anyone would be surprised by Eastern View now. I think a more interesting question would be, Which likely top seed is most likely to lose their first game in the playoffs?

Per Hoo Louisa is done but could be considered a sleeper based on his roller coaster type assessments. Eastern View is hardly a sleeper as they are currently udefeated and have a good chance to run the table. Monacan could be considered a sleeper based on their overall record when its all said and done. Layfayette should be considered a favorite coming in as the #1 seed in Pod 17/18. Grafton possibly but time will tell and the West I will have to defer to Mike Salem.

Agree that the overall record doesn't say whether a team is a sleeper or not. Look at Sherando's record. A lot of teams would not have liked that one. Overall it seems to be a wide-open race this year. All teams have shown strengths and weaknesses. I don't think anyone losing is going to be a shocker. We may see a shocker of a score here and there, but pretty much any of the teams that get in will be able to beat any other team on a given night. From the chatter it seems like Dinwiddie gets more hype than anyone else. I guess their best win of the year is against Thomas Dale, who has only beaten one team with a winning record this year.

. Layfayette should be considered a favorite coming in as the #1 seed in Pod 17/18. Grafton possibly but time will tell and the West I will have to defer to Mike Salem.
Not a forgone conclusion they get the #1 seed. They can be outpointed by LT if things fall like they are suppose to and if Heritage wins out they will definitely outpoint them.

Agree that the overall record doesn't say whether a team is a sleeper or not. Look at Sherando's record. A lot of teams would not have liked that one. Overall it seems to be a wide-open race this year. All teams have shown strengths and weaknesses. I don't think anyone losing is going to be a shocker. We may see a shocker of a score here and there, but pretty much any of the teams that get in will be able to beat any other team on a given night. From the chatter it seems like Dinwiddie gets more hype than anyone else. I guess their best win of the year is against Thomas Dale, who has only beaten one team with a winning record this year.

What you say about Dinwiddie is true but they are blasting everyone they play. If Dinwiddie lost its first round game against the 8th seed I'd be stunned.

What you say about Dinwiddie is true but they are blasting everyone they play. If Dinwiddie lost its first round game against the 8th seed I'd be stunned.
Probably....I guess it just depends on who that 8-seed ends up being. Match-ups can be a bi***

It's not about the record. It has everything to do with program and schedule..a decent program with a simple schedule can cruise every year and put themselves into a position to make a deep run. But they don't earn it.
While a team's schedule may allow them to cruise, any deep run in the playoffs is earned on the field. As far as earning a playoff berth, your point is questionable at best. Between conference games, local rivalry games, budgetary and travel restrictions, etc. very few schools can follow the Bobby Bowden scheduling mantra of anybody, anytime, anywhere and the best they can do is take care of the schedule they play.

Not a forgone conclusion they get the #1 seed. They can be outpointed by LT if things fall like they are suppose to and if Heritage wins out they will definitely outpoint them.
Hey Devilslb99- alot of ifs for the last two weeks. I am skeptical on Heritage winning their last two games- their last two they played they just got by an average Gloucester team and gave up a lot of points and struggled with 2 win Kecoughtan and not scoring much. Woodside and a desperate Phoebus will be tough. If we can hold the 2 seed, not the best but ok- 2 home games and 2 away games. But it sure will be close. FYI- daily "mess" still had the #1 seed between Lafayette and Heritage. I emailed them about your precise analysis which sounds good but no response to evaluate. Disappointing!

Reactions: gwb16
Hey Devilslb99- alot of ifs for the last two weeks. I am skeptical on Heritage winning their last two games- their last two they played they just got by an average Gloucester team and gave up a lot of points and struggled with 2 win Kecoughtan and not scoring much. Woodside and a desperate Phoebus will be tough. If we can hold the 2 seed, not the best but ok- 2 home games and 2 away games. But it sure will be close. FYI- daily "mess" still had the #1 seed between Lafayette and Heritage. I emailed them about your precise analysis which sounds good but no response to evaluate. Disappointing!

I think Heritage is going to crush Pheb... As for the Woodside game I think that one is going to be real close.

@Lafayette I am hearing rumor that Laf is down slightly this year. Still undefeated though so not sure how much validity to the rumors. Just wanted to get your take... Unless you want to keep that in house.

If a team makes the playoffs I would not consider them to be a sleeper . Example: Pod 19/20 -Dinwiddie 8-0, Eastern View 8-0, Chancellor 6-2,, Louisa 7-1, Monacan 8-1, Powhatan 6-2, King George 6-2, Courtland 4-4. That's a 76 percent win average for all combined teams. Match-ups are the key. As it stands the Louisa vs. Monacan match-up is the most interesting to me. Many doubt Monacan and in this match up I too question whether Monacan can contain Louisa's running game. I also have concerns about whether Louisa can stop Monacans athletic quarterback and receiving corps. Both of these teams are very good teams and if the format stands one is going home early. It happened last year when Dinwiddie and Monacan played in the first round.

Don't buy into the propaganda. Schedules don't mean a thing and to compare is useless. Everybody thinks their district, conference, and team plays a harder schedule. Just a bit of information regarding Dinwiddie's alleged poor schedule. It is what it is; however, after running the numbers I learned something interesting. I am not saying this years team is as good or is going to win a state championship, but if things play out like they should this years opponents will have the same overall record as the opponents the 2013 Dinwiddie team played. -2 Out of District and +2 District opponents. I don't think anyone questioned the 2013 teams ability or schedule. Another point. Would anyone question Lake Taylor's ability based on their schedule? Probably not, but for information purposes the teams they have played to date have a combined 31-34 record. Does it matter? Heck no. The Titans are just good period.

I have been very quiet the past few weeks as it was stated I was "overhyping" my team. when in fact, I have been very humble. Unlike some on this forum I have not maliciously bashed one team. I did express my concern for playing Monacan. Its not because I think they are world beaters or a "Richmond Team". It is simply, because their coach (Henderson) was at Dinwiddie under Coach Mills. He knows our system, our tendencies and each teams athletes counter the other. Its no different than Louisa playing Courtland with their identical styles. I also stated I was not concerned about certain teams in pod 19/20 and that remains true. This statement was not meant to slight anyone . It was solely based on perceived (my opinion) difficult match-ups based on our system.

For the record, I will refute a few negative comments about our quarterback Bryce Witt and since I have been accused I will "hype" the Generals. Witt is playing very well, showing the leadership needed to contend in the playoffs and has not "thrown wild passes when under pressure". all season. Heck, he has only completed one game thus (Thomas Dale) and averages about two and a half quarters per game. Here are his stats: 76-116 for 1,458 yards, 66% completion rate, 16 td's, 2 interceptions and a qbr of 144. Not enormous stats I agree, but he is effectively running an offense that averages 200 yards per game passing, 220 yards per game rushing, and 57 offensive td's. Who wouldn't want that kind of production from your quarterback.

Lake Taylor continues to be my prohibitive favorite to win the east and any team who thinks they are going to the Titans home field and beat them may be living in a fantasy land. Can someone do it? We shall see. Petersburg this Friday.

Marty takes his BRD very serious and I hope he's not upset because he was a little premature with his scenario. I will be content with either the 1 or 2, but the 1 is great. All of this would be moot if Heritage wins both games.

Witt is playing very well, showing the leadership needed to contend in the playoffs and has not "thrown wild passes when under pressure". all season.
Great post, but that quote contradicts everything I've heard about his incompletions against Dale. One example: seventh play of Dinwiddie's fourth drive of the game, Witt gets pressured and sails a short throw a good three feet over a wide open #3's head. Most, not all, of his completions are screens or short passes with the talented WR's doing most of the work. Even JM's announcers said it looks like Witt will throw it up for grabs under pressure. Whereas Jason Brown of Chancellor will be on the run, falling and throws a beautiful, accurate 50+ yard bomb off his wrong foot like it's nothing, did it the 3rd quarter against JM, that game's on YouTube.

Last edited:
Per Hoo Louisa is done but could be considered a sleeper based on his roller coaster type assessments. Eastern View is hardly a sleeper as they are currently udefeated and have a good chance to run the table. Monacan could be considered a sleeper based on their overall record when its all said and done. Layfayette should be considered a favorite coming in as the #1 seed in Pod 17/18. Grafton possibly but time will tell and the West I will have to defer to Mike Salem.
I would think the biggest sleeper in the West would be William Byrd. They will have to expand their offense from just Basham though to win games in the playoffs. The QB Watson will have to throw some passes, and have targets other than Basham to advance in the playoffs. (Unless Basham can run, pass, and catch his own passes, in which case Larry is obviously Chuck Norris and all bets are off!!)

Dominion's going to be a real tough out, I want to see them have a rematch with Woodgrove. And obviously Sherando if they get in. I also think John Champe can give Amherst a game if that stays the 5vs12 game

Powhatan is going to be real tough. I also just have a gut feeling that Chancellor is overrated. I would love to see a Louisa Eastern View matchup.

Reactions: OCBoy
Dominion's going to be a real tough out, I want to see them have a rematch with Woodgrove. And obviously Sherando if they get in. I also think John Champe can give Amherst a game if that stays the 5vs12 game

Powhatan is going to be real tough. I also just have a gut feeling that Chancellor is overrated. I would love to see a Louisa Eastern View matchup.
Dominion is a good sleeper since they played Woodgrove pretty close. Sherando would be the ultimate sleeper IF they make it in. I think they win out AND a lot of the teams ahead of them lose more games I just don't know if all of the dominoes fall in order for them to make it. If they make it, the higher seeds will have a good fight on their hands for sure!

DEVILSLB99 they will lose one of the last two games. Woodside will beat them and Phoebus could if their starting QB returns.

Reactions: gwb16
I think Heritage is going to crush Pheb... As for the Woodside game I think that one is going to be real close.

@Lafayette I am hearing rumor that Laf is down slightly this year. Still undefeated though so not sure how much validity to the rumors. Just wanted to get your take... Unless you want to keep that in house.
That is an interesting question! Lafayette has a new QB this year and does not have the size we have had at that position for the last 4 years, though a very good passer not the runner of past years. Though Grimsley the VT signee is an outstanding WR there is not another top receiver to complement like last year. That means at times the passing game disappears. To that end they finally using him on some running plays since he is always double teamed. The backfield and O line are about as good as last year. The defense overall is a little better with pass coverage three times better with a better D line and LB group. I think the rumor Lafayette is slightly down this year is the scores are not as gaudy as last year. Some of that is the offense is slightly less explosive but also the result that overall the bay rivers district is significantly better than last year. Grafton 7-1, Smithfield 6-2, Poquoson 5-3 with tougher middle of the road teams of Tabb, new Kent, and only one really bad team (Bruton). I think this years level of competition will prepare Lafayette better for the playoffs than last year. Time will tell!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Great post, but that quote contradicts everything I've heard about his incompletions against Dale. One example: seventh play of Dinwiddie's fourth drive of the game, Witt gets pressured and sails a short throw a good three feet over a wide open #3's head. Most of his completions are screens or short passes with the talented WR's doing most of the work. Even JM's announcers said it looks like Witt will throw it up for grabs under pressure. Whereas Jason Brown of Chancellor will be on the run, falling and throws a beautiful, accurate 50+ yard bomb off his wrong foot like it's nothing, did it the 3rd quarter against JM, that game's on YouTube.
I will disagree with that....I thought the Chancellor QB also threw it up for grabs against EV....BUT, you can do that when you have huge receivers like that. I don't know the types of receivers that other kid has. Chancellor QB is a hell of an athlete though....I still think he will be moved to another position in college.

Brown can also do that because he's more accurate. Witt has 6' 2" Pope who made that great one-handed catch against Hanover. But against JM, Witt lobbed a ball into a group of defenders and Pope wasn't around. Witt is good if you let him stand back there and pick you apart after their play breaks down, but good teams aren't gonna just let him play Madden.

Last edited:
"Sleepers" in my mind are teams that don't get much talk now but would get "Cinderella"-type discussions if they go deep.

East sleepers
Smithfield
Grafton

West sleepers
Heritage (Leesburg)
George Washington

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
That is an interesting question! Lafayette has a new QB this year and does not have the size we have had at that position for the last 4 years, though a very good passer not the runner of past years. Though Grimsley the VT signee is an outstanding WR there is not another top receiver to complement like last year. That means at times the passing game disappears. To that end they finally using him on some running plays since he is always double teamed. The backfield and O line are about as good as last year. The defense overall is a little better with pass coverage three times better with a better D line and LB group. I think the rumor Lafayette is slightly down this year is the scores are not as gaudy as last year. Some of that is the offense is slightly less explosive but also the result that overall the bay rivers district is significantly better than last year. Grafton 7-1, Smithfield 6-2, Poquoson 5-3 with tougher middle of the road teams of Tabb, new Kent, and only one really bad team (Bruton). I think this years level of competition will prepare Lafayette better for the playoffs than last year. Time will tell!

Great insight... Laf has had a great program for a while now. Good luck in the playoffs!

Hoos, I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you today I promise. I don't doubt your claim that the Chancellor quarterback is better. I could care less.

(1) Witt has thrown 2 interceptions! One was a deflection off a receivers hands. The other was thrown up for grabs in the end zone on fourth down when we were too close to punt and too far to kick a field goal. It was the fourth quarter against Matoaca and our backup quarterback had just gotten hurt on third down. That ones not on Witt. By the way against JM he played the entire game with a dislocated finger on his throwing hand from the scrimmage against LB and threw for over 170 yards in 3 quarters.

(2) We have not thrown 10 screens all season, so I don't know what you have been watching or hearing. Coach must be saving them for a later date and time.

(3) Witt utilizes Sturdivant out of the backfield (14 for 258 yds.) when the defenders retreat down field to cover, but that is simply smart football.

(4) Not saying he doesn't throw bad balls. Tell me a quarterback that doesn't, but he does not make bad decisions. You are going to point out one bad pass against Thomas Dale as a reference. Really?

(5) Pope is not our leading receiver or even 3rd. We have 5 receivers who have right at or over 250 yards for the season. Popes one handed catch was on a botched extra point attempt.

(6) I have never said Witt was the best quarterback in 4a someone else did. He does exactly what we need and he is a proven winner. 23- 5 regular season wins as a starter. 2-2 in the playoffs. Losses to Lake Taylor and Hanover. I'm not complaining and you wouldn't either. Only Hughey (LT) 36-2, Beckley (Salem) 22-1, Kovich (WG) 19-2 and Fludd (Monacan) 30-6 compare in win percentage. Mr. Brown from Chancellor is 16-13 for his career.

(7) I just looked over the stats. He has played 19 entire or partial quarters all season. That's 2.37 quarters per game.

Okay Hoos, I will compare stats with you and maybe you will cut the kid some slack.

Witt 76/116 1458 66% 16 tds. 2 ints. 144 qbr 14 yds per attempt
Brown 106/185 1638, 57%, 19 tds, 6 ints. 107 qbr 15 yards per attempt

Have a blessed day. Thanks for keeping this civil.

Reactions: gwb16 and 1Gensfan
I said it was one example, I wasn't really about to list every wild pass from the game, c'mon. The entire point was you originally said:
has not "thrown wild passes when under pressure" all season
I took that literally, and as a response to what I previously posted about pressuring him, and I pointed out that it's simply wrong and gave one example that is enough to prove why. He does do what his team asks of him, so we'll see how it all plays out and if it'll be enough for a deep run. I compare him to Brown because I think Dinwiddie would cruise to another title with Brown at QB. I think Dinwiddie's defense will come up bigger for them than the offense this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
I think Pulaski County can be a sleeper team in the playoffs simply off of the strength of their defense. Even during their losses this year, they were able to keep the opposing teams well below their season average.
A strong defense travels well come playoff time.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
So you were at the game? or are you pulling a Shaunti (video) on me? lol. I get your point, but maybe its just a verbiage issue. A wild pass to me is one that is thrown into double coverage or when a receiver is covered period. The one you described is a poor pass which happens at the highest level of football. I'm not too hard headed, so I will bend and acknowledge that he may have forced a few passes somewhere along the line. Just didn't get us in trouble. This was not about the team it was about "you" criticizing a kid responding to my post and then to a fan from Courtland in another for one fair game against Dale. He was 9-16 130 yards with one int. We rushed the ball 40 times with two td's in the rain. We WON!

As far as how far we go who knows. You said previously Courtland could beat us, so yes, we will see. I am sure Petersburg could beat us this weekend if we don't come out to play. I have admitted my fears regarding Louisa admit yours regarding Dinwiddie. I can smell it coming out of your pores. Thanks again for being civil. Still praying!

I think Pulaski County can be a sleeper team in the playoffs simply off of the strength of their defense. Even during their losses this year, they were able to keep the opposing teams well below their season average.
A strong defense travels well come playoff time.
I thought so too until they lost to PH and Blacksburg. I'm dang sure impressed with Bryant Grubb on offense and defense. And you're right that defense the Cougars have is down right mean looking and they have speed on the ends. They'll be dangerous if they don't get too predictable on running Thomas 30 times a game.

Reactions: Amgis
So you were at the game? or are you pulling a Shaunti (video) on me? lol. I get your point, but maybe its just a verbiage issue. A wild pass to me is one that is thrown into double coverage or when a receiver is covered period. The one you described is a poor pass which happens at the highest level of football. I'm not too hard headed, so I will bend and acknowledge that he may have forced a few passes somewhere along the line. Just didn't get us in trouble. This was not about the team it was about "you" criticizing a kid responding to my post and then to a fan from Courtland in another for one fair game against Dale. He was 9-16 130 yards with one int. We rushed the ball 40 times with two td's in the rain. We WON!

As far as how far we go who knows. You said previously Courtland could beat us, so yes, we will see. I am sure Petersburg could beat us this weekend if we don't come out to play. I have admitted my fears regarding Louisa admit yours regarding Dinwiddie. I can smell it coming out of your pores. Thanks again for being civil. Still praying!
Petersburg?? c'mon man....can you even remember the last time Petersburg beat Dinwiddie?

Wasn't there, just have a source who saw the video and told me a few reasons Dinwiddie is beatable, basically the same stuff you've posted except he's not so high on Witt. I don't realistically think Courtland can beat Dinwiddie, just that if they do the things I posted they'd have a fighter's chance and not get destroyed, but also said it would be tough for them to score on your defense. I've already said Dinwiddie's receivers and defense scare me, especially the defensive ends.

Hoos, I was just joking about the fear part. I really do appreciate a good debate. Today we kept it clean with no hostility. Thanks again. You guys have your opinion about Witt. I have seen him grow for the past three years. People thought the same thing about Kearney and he did okay. Doing well at CNU too. Have a nice day.

Petersburg?? c'mon man....can you even remember the last time Petersburg beat Dinwiddie?
Its been a while, but I dont count my chickens before they hatch. May sound corny, but thats the way Navy Nation(Dinwiddie fans) think.

I am sure you dont know this, but we are bitter rivals. On paper we win, but you cant win games on paper.

Reactions: gwb16 and 1Gensfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT