ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you rank as number one for 2018?

Don't know if Salem will have explosiveness needed to really be competitive with the best in the state. 8-2, 7-3 more likely. Win one in playoffs 9-3, 8-4
I’m not buying it. The system works SBU! You know that! Gladden will be back, I think someone said a nice number of Mules will return, the next in line will step up. That’s a powerhouse up there. I believe Glass, Blacksburg and GW will all be back and will be very very good but until someone knocks them off, Salem is my favorite.

Reactions: VolNation85
I think Glass and JF will both be very good. Glass returns all but one o-line and one d-line. They will have to replace Thomas Patterson which will not be easy but there d-line will be nasty. Plus they return some really talented skill guys lead by Dresean Kendrick, Ty Foster, Justin Barnett, John-Marc. JF returns a lot if they can learn to play a little defense they will be tough. But to be the man you got to beat the man and Salem is the man.

EV returns a lot, they will be as good next year as they were this year.

I agree with this. EV will be my favorite in the East with Dinwiddie coming in a close second. Will be interesting to see how LT, Laf, and KF are in 2018.

Monacan should be pretty good again as well.

As for the West, I would assume Salem would have to be somewhat down after reeling off 3 straight but who knows. Maybe Sherando is my preseason favorite but I have no idea.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Eastern view will be okay, they do lose alot other than the QB and RB. They lose Hunter, thier top reciever, top 2 offensive lineman and half the defense. They have had successful JV teams so plugging the holes will be vitally important, nowhere near the juggernaut they were this year however.

I know that Salem has a "next man up" program. Plenty of talented players waiting for their turn. You see, to me, it's more about the team...the sum of the parts...not the individual stars.

Reactions: RKE Fan
I know that Salem has a "next man up" program. Plenty of talented players waiting for their turn. You see, to me, it's more about the team...the sum of the parts...not the individual stars.
I understand all that and Salem is great at doing that. However, to be explosive you need athletes like Tucker, Ramsey and Owen. I question if Salem will have that type of explosiveness.

Reactions: iskolinbckers
What do you know that I don't? Salem lost all their starting d backs and receivers and their entire backfield.
I'm no prognosticator, but I'm a believer in the system Salem has in place. Whenever someone says Salem loses a lot and won't be as good next year I think of the 2014 to 2015 transition. The 2015 team returned 3 starters (4 starting positions) from a team that was 14-1 & runner-up. I'm not saying they'll replicate that success, but as close said, Salem seems to be a next man up team. They will return 6 starters. (8 starting positions) Obviously, replacing (7) 3-yr starters along with the other guys will be difficult, but I think Salem will be fine.

The biggest question for Salem to me boils around how the defensive backs and receivers step up. I think they are going to have a very good sophomore running back in Zavione Wood. Obviously will be a drop off from the talent of Ramsey but I really think the kid has a chance of being special. They also have the youngest Ramsey brother, Lewis, that was a freshman this year... pretty sure he missed almost the entire season with a broken wrist. Ferris is a big receiver with a lot of speed that I think will be a good player on both sides of the ball as Junior. They will probably lean on TE Close in the passing game throughout the season. He is a player that, in my opinion, if he puts on 20-25 pounds, could potentially get some late D1 looks.

They have a few big talented secondary players that were freshmen this year and I think they will need a few of them to step up and be starters on the varsity. The front 7 has almost everyone back and they get back a starting linebacker that missed almost the entire season this year as a sophomore. Also, at DT they have a rising 9th grader that I feel will have a chance to play Varsity next year which almost never happens at Salem. They have three OL that I feel really good about but will definitely need to find a few more to step up and be starters, including a left tackle.

Losing Craft hurts a lot and losing the defensive backs, particularly the two all-state safeties Quinn and Wade will be really tough to overcome... will be somewhat similar to the transition they had three years ago when they needed those sophomores to step up.

Eastern view will be okay, they do lose alot other than the QB and RB. They lose Hunter, thier top reciever, top 2 offensive lineman and half the defense. They have had successful JV teams so plugging the holes will be vitally important, nowhere near the juggernaut they were this year however.
To say "nowhere near the juggernaut they were" I believe is wrong on a couple counts. First, they weren't a juggernaut or they wouldn't have lost. 2nd, they will be as dominant in the Battlefield (IMO) as they were this past year. Someone else said EV will be as good next year as they were this year. I don't see how that's possible when you lose a player like Hunter....irreplaceable. BUT...that doesn't mean they still can't win them all. They will score points pretty much at will just like they did this year. The main thing will be replacing the defensive players they're losing; specifically in the secondary. They basically had shut-down corners and a safety that hit like a truck. I don't think they will be challenged until the playoffs again. Getting home-field will be a key for them.

Sherando loses about 3 full time starters.
I really like Sherando for next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Sherando went undefeated during the regular season. Do you guys still play Martinburg? Or that team out of Maryland? If not , who could beat you during regular season. I saw video tape of Martinsburg---theyre beatable

Those holes will be filled easily. Hatfield basically coaches both JV and varsity. They all practice as one!
I look for the Battlefield to fall like this
1. EV
2. Courtland
3. King George depending on who becomes the coach but could easily be 5-6 here
4. James Monroe
5. Chancellor
6. Spotsy
7. Caroline

1/2 is pretty much solid and set

Last edited:
Those holes will be filled easily. Hatfield basically coaches both JV and varsity. They all practice as one!
I look for the Battlefield to fall like this
1. EV
2. Courtland
3. King George depending on who becomes the coach but could easily be 5-6 here
4. James Monroe
5. Chancellor
6. Spotsy
7. Caroline

1/2 is pretty much solid and set

How do you think Region B will finish or rank for preseason?

Sherando will be real next year, still have to put in the work. Best Qb in 4A next year , plus a load of talent around him.

I know down here we return 19 starters as does Lake Taylor...We were competitive this year albeit in a 1-9 season I expect us to turn the corner this year.

Would love to see a new competitor enter the race from the 757. 5 wins would probably get you in most seasons.

Sherando will be real next year, still have to put in the work. Best Qb in 4A next year , plus a load of talent around him.
If Gladden makes the usual improvement that Salem QBs make from junior to senior year he will be one of the elite QBs in 4a. He has a big arm. However, Salem must find some quality receivers for him to throw to.

I saw the Sherando QB twice. Once on tape against Martinsburg and once live against Salem. I like his athletic ability and I did see a few very accurate throws, but he holds on to the ball a long time. That's fine against inferior teams, but not fine when you start playing the elite. Salem had more sacks against Sherando than just about anyone. I do think Sherando will be an elite team next year and will get a home game in the state semis

If Gladden makes the usual improvement that Salem QBs make from junior to senior year he will be one of the elite QBs in 4a. He has a big arm. However, Salem must find some quality receivers for him to throw to.
He's got a 6ft5 TE that can play receiver too. He's pretty good.

Personally, I wouldn't rank Dinwiddie in the top five. I see at least two possible losses (Salem, Thomas Dale) in our future. Once again, the Generals will have to replace three of four defensive lineman and all three linebackers. The receiving corps and defensive backs will be much more experienced and Peety Pope has earned the right to be considered one of the top qb's in Class 4, but there are a ton of holes to fill. Louisa had a ton of success on the ground against a very sound defense and I have too many reservations regarding our returning players to place my beloved Generals at the top. Salem, Sherando, GW Danville, Monacan, Eastern View, and Lake Taylor are my top dawgs going into next season (no particular order). I do look for Louisa, Monacan, Eastern View, and Dinwiddie to battle it out again for the Region B crown.

Personally, I wouldn't rank Dinwiddie in the top five. I see at least two possible losses (Salem, Thomas Dale) in our future. Once again, the Generals will have to replace three of four defensive lineman and all three linebackers. The receiving corps and defensive backs will be much more experienced and Peety Pope has earned the right to be considered one of the top qb's in Class 4, but there are a ton of holes to fill. Louisa had a ton of success on the ground against a very sound defense and I have too many reservations regarding our returning players to place my beloved Generals at the top. Salem, Sherando, GW Danville, Monacan, Eastern View, and Lake Taylor are my top dawgs going into next season (no particular order). I do look for Louisa, Monacan, Eastern View, and Dinwiddie to battle it out again for the Region B crown.

Peety and Josiah Williams are both dynamic athletes... you’ll be fine. I am sure you will have people step in to fill those holes.

As for Sherando, bc they weren’t competitive against Salem I can see why people would question. But if we look at their body of work last year it was pretty damn good. They just ran into a buzz saw that night and didn’t have their best showing. I think they have to be the preseason fav in Region C. I also think that region C might be the only region that will be better than it was last year. I think both B & D would have to be a little softer this year.

Region A is up in the air bc we need to see how LT is going to look and if KF and DC continue to be a force. Lafayette is a mainstay at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT