ADVERTISEMENT

Whose next?

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
I know it's early, but let's start talking 2023 Class 4 football. With two of last year's Region Champions (C and A) moving to other divisions (Kettle Run Class 3 and Warwick Class 5) who will be the front runners for a region title. Will EC Glass with a new coach stay on top in Region D or can a loaded Salem unseat them. Will new Class 4 Region A member and current Class 3 State Champion Phoebus dominate? Can Dinwiddie fend off the tough challengers in Region B? Lastly, who steps up in the redesigned Region C. Will a returning Woodgrove challenge consistent contender Tuscarora or will someone else win the region.

My early picks:

Contenders:
Region A - Phoebus, Churchland, and Warhill.
Region B - Dinwiddie, King George, and Varina.
Region C - Tuscarora, Loudon County, Woodgrove.
Region D:. Salem, EC Glass, and Sherando.

Next best: Hampton, Eastern View, Loudon Valley, and GW Danville.

2 teams in Reg C that I'll be watching are Broad Run & John Champe. BR had an unusually bad year, (2-8) I wonder how they will bounce back? They don't usually have bad seasons so I would expect them to be back contending for the playoffs. John Champe has been playing in C6 for the last few years. I wonder how they will do in C4? I don't expect either team to compete for Reg Champ this year necessarily, but I think they could add some intrigue to the mix.

We’ll see soon but I believe GW and Amherst will be top 4 teams in D this year. Mori Dixon plus some of those skill guys coming from JV to go along with those young O and D lines who scrapped with Dinwiddie, Glass, and Amherst will be very good. It’ll be Salem’s region to lose.

@BoKnowsSports, teams with new coaches often improve, but rarely are contenders. I am not being argumentative; however, I am very curious regarding your thoughts on Amherst. What about the Lancers intrigues you?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
We’ll see soon but I believe GW and Amherst will be top 4 teams in D this year. Mori Dixon plus some of those skill guys coming from JV to go along with those young O and D lines who scrapped with Dinwiddie, Glass, and Amherst will be very good. It’ll be Salem’s region to lose.
I’m excited for Amherst this year. The new coach is going to be great with the new assistances he has. Things he’s already implemented. Players are excited. That’s a plus right there

Last edited:
I’m excited for Amherst this year. The new coach is going to be great with the new assistances he has. Things he’s already implemented. Players are excited. That’s a plus right there
Thanks for the response @wikki. I am glad the new coach is making a difference and getting buy in. Coaches surely can provide sound structure and build a culture. I really don't know anything about Amherst 2023 roster, so can you or anyone else provide some insight on the Lancers impact players. @BoKnowsSports believes in Amherst, do you think they can be a factor in Region D this season?

Reactions: SFUWO
D minus Salem is unlikely to make much noise this year so in that sense Amherst can be a factor but Amherst has been in a holding pattern for awhile now where their season is simply beating who they should beat and losing to who they should lose to (and occasionally to who they shouldn't) and little else. Amherst seems about squarely in the middle of the Seminole right now, able to consistently beat JF/Liberty-Bedford/Rustburg but incapable of doing much to the top 4 of Heritage/Glass/LCA/Brookville and that part needs to change. The Seminole is a very difficult district and it'd be crazy expecting them to suddenly start going 6-1 or 7-0 but they need some 4-3 and maybe 5-2 seasons rather than 3-4 or 2-5. The most stable, unreachable opponent right now is Heritage but Glass just lost their coach, LCA is always going to be a question mark based on how well transfers gel together, and Brookville seems the most vulnerable of the four right now, they need to start finding a way to win one or two of those games.

If they're smart, they'll keep toning down the OOD schedule for awhile, too. They need momentum as a program, they don't need someone kicking their teeth in thinking it'll benefit them for a late playoff run because they're not there yet. Blacksburg was a bad move when it happened (as they were in the midst of being state contenders/winners) but is now great as they're sadly hapless and snagging the newly-formed Mecklenburg County was also good. GW is probably a game they're not going to win most of the time but it's winnable which is all that matters. I'm assuming Mecklenburg is the least likely to remain on the schedule but if so they need to look west for a winnable D3 or even D2 game. Start working on trying to always be 3-0 in OOD and 7-8 win regular seasons will become more of a reality and you can start playing November games in front of a home crowd again and then the ball has a chance of rolling.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Thanks for the response @wikki. I am glad the new coach is making a difference and getting buy in. Coaches surely can provide sound structure and build a culture. I really don't know anything about Amherst 2023 roster, so can you or anyone else provide some insight on the Lancers impact players. @BoKnowsSports believes in Amherst, do you think they can be a factor in Region D this season?
My apologies Navy! Amherst will return some very good players and has a capable coach that has some new energy in the program. The players didn’t like Christmas so I’d be willing to bet the retention rate of players transferring/not playing because they didn’t like the coach, will improve. Amherst traditionally has some of the better athletes in the area, but they’ve lacked discipline. They’re one of the most undisciplined teams I’ve seen in the past 10 years. How do you fix that? Get a coach from the county who’s worked at a military school. Johnathan Goings and the QB Liggon are going to be two of the best players in Region D. Like 1morehokie stated, the Region will be weak outside of Salem. I see them sneaking in. Sherando will definitely make a push as well.

I know it's early, but let's start talking 2023 Class 4 football. With two of last year's Region Champions (C and A) moving to other divisions (Kettle Run Class 3 and Warwick Class 5) who will be the front runners for a region title. Will EC Glass with a new coach stay on top in Region D or can a loaded Salem unseat them. Will new Class 4 Region A member and current Class 3 State Champion Phoebus dominate? Can Dinwiddie fend off the tough challengers in Region B? Lastly, who steps up in the redesigned Region C. Will a returning Woodgrove challenge consistent contender Tuscarora or will someone else win the region.

My early picks:

Contenders:
Region A - Phoebus, Churchland, and Warhill.
Region B - Dinwiddie, King George, and Varina.
Region C - Tuscarora, Loudon County, Woodgrove.
Region D:. Salem, EC Glass, and Sherando.

Next best: Hampton, Eastern View, Loudon Valley, and GW Danville.

Definitely get John Champe in the mix for Region C. They drop down from 6A and will have athletes all over the place. In addition, it looks like All-Region QB from Centreville will be transferring in as well.

My apologies Navy! Amherst will return some very good players and has a capable coach that has some new energy in the program. The players didn’t like Christmas so I’d be willing to bet the retention rate of players transferring/not playing because they didn’t like the coach, will improve. Amherst traditionally has some of the better athletes in the area, but they’ve lacked discipline. They’re one of the most undisciplined teams I’ve seen in the past 10 years. How do you fix that? Get a coach from the county who’s worked at a military school. Johnathan Goings and the QB Liggon are going to be two of the best players in Region D. Like 1morehokie stated, the Region will be weak outside of Salem. I see them sneaking in. Sherando will definitely make a push as well.
Good stuff @BoKnowsSports. I don't think Region D will be weak at all. Yes, Salem will likely be the top dog, but there is some potentially good teams waiting in the weeds. I believe GW and Amherst will take a step in the right direction and a few of the transfers from Region C could play spoiler. Does anyone see JF becoming a factor?

With that being said King George is a major concern for me in B. Their wideouts are unreal and if the have someone who can throw it watch out.

I can’t believe you folks are even having this conversation. You were already told that a Region B team will not only dominate Class 4, but will most assuredly be nationally ranked. All other teams will be finding excuses so they don’t have to be humiliated. With all the top coaches and kids moving over to 7945 Forest Hill Ave., is there really any reason to have this discussion?

Truthfully, I want to see the Master Schedule before I make my predictions. Except in Region A. It’s Phoebus, and everybody else.

And D, I don’t think think this is the year Amherst and Glass to be a threat, so good old Salem should reign supreme.

About C, I don’t know, I need to do my homework.

Now B, ???? Wow, wide open. Of course, Varina, KG, and Dinwiddie, PH is always a threat, and then a laundry list of others. Hanover, Powhatan, EV, might easily step up and be strong contenders.

I can’t believe you folks are even having this conversation. You were already told that a Region B team will not only dominate Class 4, but will most assuredly be nationally ranked. All other teams will be finding excuses so they don’t have to be humiliated. With all the top coaches and kids moving over to 7945 Forest Hill Ave., is there really any reason to have this discussion?

Truthfully, I want to see the Master Schedule before I make my predictions. Except in Region A. It’s Phoebus, and everybody else.

And D, I don’t think think this is the year Amherst and Glass to be a threat, so good old Salem should reign supreme.

About C, I don’t know, I need to do my homework.

Now B, ???? Wow, wide open. Of course, Varina, KG, and Dinwiddie, PH is always a threat, and then a laundry list of others. Hanover, Powhatan, EV, might easily step up and be strong contenders.
Geez thanks Dinwiddie, lol

Lol @wikki. I don't think @DinwiddieProud was disrespecting Amherst. Salem just has a ton of proven studs and can match up athletically with anybody. Spartan fans have acknowledge concerns about line play, but it will not take a huge hole to spring their backs. Salem fans have quietly hinted about their QB situation, so I tend to believe they picked one up from the transfer portal. Barring injury, It's going to take a very special team to take out Salem and I just don't see anyone from D that appears capable this year. There are a couple of teams in Region B and Phoebus that match up well with the Spartans though. Whoever wins it all in 2023 will have to be freaking good!

Lol @wikki. I don't think @DinwiddieProud was disrespecting Amherst. Salem just has a ton of proven studs and can match up athletically with anybody. Spartan fans have acknowledge concerns about line play, but it will not take a huge hole to spring their backs. Salem fans have quietly hinted about their QB situation, so I tend to believe they picked one up from the transfer portal. Barring injury, It's going to take a very special team to take out Salem and I just don't see anyone from D that appears capable this year. There are a couple of teams in Region B and Phoebus that match up well with the Spartans though. Whoever wins it all in 2023 will have to be freaking good!
Exactly. No disrespect meant at all. And I hope the Lancers prove me wrong.

I agree with DP. Salem will play a team out of the B gauntlet. More than likely Dinwiddie, KG, or Varina. I’m leaning more towards the Generals or Blue Devils. Salem will be heavily favored to come out of the region and it will more than likely not be close.

I know that, I was giving him a hard time because he knows my passion for Amherst

I agree with DP. Salem will play a team out of the B gauntlet. More than likely Dinwiddie, KG, or Varina. I’m leaning more towards the Generals or Blue Devils. Salem will be heavily favored to come out of the region and it will more than likely not be close.
I don’t know buddy. Surviving B will be a championship in its own right. But, your reward will be Phoebus. That’s a mighty tall hill to climb. We very well may be looking at a Salem-Phoebus matchup.

I think the VHSL member schools in Class 4 have interestingly removed their longstanding argument about travel being too high to mix up the semis. If region D teams can drive all over creation so can A,B, and C. Let's end the a vs b and d vs. c matchups. Time to get it done. I say a vs d and b vs. c or b vs. d and a vs. c. Anybody else want to see something different.

Lovelace is the new coach, but he's not much different than Woody. Glass has a lot of talent in these junior and senior classes. Defensively, Glass will go back to the 4-3. The lines will be just as big as last year.

We'll see about Amherst. They have a lot of good players/athletes. Just have to learn how to beat the upper echelon teams.

GW will be back. Looking forward to see the front end of their schedule. Should be some battles.

Nobody is touching Dinwiddie, King George and Phoebus though. Region D does not come close to B and A.

I think the VHSL member schools in Class 4 have interestingly removed their longstanding argument about travel being too high to mix up the semis. If region D teams can drive all over creation so can A,B, and C. Let's end the a vs b and d vs. c matchups. Time to get it done. I say a vs d and b vs. c or b vs. d and a vs. c. Anybody else want to see something different.
Considering D stretches from Danville to LoCo😂

Not me. I like it the way it is, “for the time being”.

I'll be honest I'm torn on this topic. I would like to see some matchup changes/rotations, but I also think the current setup has been easier on our side. I think Salem has a program that gets better from playing tougher competition in the long run, so I think the Spartans would do ok with a change.

Thinking of Salem's championship appearances in the last 10 years, depending upon matchups of course, I think Salem would have probably had less appearances. They wouldn't have advanced to the game in 2014 if they had to play LT in the Semis. 2015 & 2016 would be coin flips if they faced LT or Dinwiddie those 2 years in the Semis. I think Salem would have advanced in 2017 or 2020 regardless. Obviously, these are just hypothetical guesses, but football is a game of matchups. Here's a list of those 5 seasons and the Semifinalists. A lot of good potential matchups that could have changed the ultimate outcome.

LT
Monacan
Liberty Beal
Salem

LT
Courtland
Jefferson Forest
Salem

LT
Dinwiddie
Dominion
Salem

Lafayette
Louisa
Sherando
Salem

LT
King George
Tuscarora
Salem

Definitely believe the state semis should be rotated. Just creates more unique matchups and keeps things fresh. It also makes it so certain areas aren't guaranteed a Final spot like the 757 with their 2 C5 regions.

Region 4D:

Amherst County-Lynchburg area
Blacksburg
Charlottesville
EC Glass-Lynchburg
George Washington-Danville
Halifax County-Danville area
John Handley-Winchester
James Wood-Winchester
Jefferson Forest-Lynchburg area
Liberty-Bealton-NOVA
Mecklenberg
Millbrook-Winchester
Orange County-Charlottesville area
Salem
Sherando-Winchester

Wow.

Yes sir. I know you love basketball, so give Dinwiddie a thought if you get into teaching. We can surely help you with employment and even a JV or varsity hoops coaching position. You have always impressed us with your maturity and intellegence. We would welcome you with open arms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT