ADVERTISEMENT

Woodrum waived by the Giants; picked up by the Colts

Mike, Dinwiddie/VT player, Cory Marshall signed a free agent contract with New Orleans. He wasn't drafted, but Bleeding Navy was telling me that that this free agent contract status gives him a little better chance of hanging around in camp a little longer. He also explains that Cory is an "in-between" positions type player, as far as pro ball goes.

Navy, can you please add some explanations that help explain what I mentioned above, please?

One more request for the members. I have heard the breakdown of the odds of a high school player making an NFL roster several times, but I can't remember the chances. It started with how many kids play high school ball, then how many play at the college level, how many ever get to go to an NFL training camp, and finally, how absurdly few ever make a roster. If anyone has this information, please post it for us. Like you said Mike, the chances are minuscule. A kid probably has a better chance of being hit by lightning while being eaten by a shark, while having the winning lottery ticket in his pocket!:p:p:p

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Mike, Dinwiddie/VT player, Cory Marshall signed a free agent contract with New Orleans. He wasn't drafted, but Bleeding Navy was telling me that that this free agent contract status gives him a little better chance of hanging around in camp a little longer. He also explains that Cory is an "in-between" positions type player, as far as pro ball goes.

Navy, can you please add some explanations that help explain what I mentioned above, please?

One more request for the members. I have heard the breakdown of the odds of a high school player making an NFL roster several times, but I can't remember the chances. It started with how many kids play high school ball, then how many play at the college level, how many ever get to go to an NFL training camp, and finally, how absurdly few ever make a roster. If anyone has this information, please post it for us. Like you said Mike, the chances are minuscule. A kid probably has a better chance of being hit by lightning while being eaten by a shark, while having the winning lottery ticket in his pocket!:p:p:p

Boy, it is really odd that I stumbled across your post mentioning the odds of being attacked by a shark today, of all days. I'll explain why after I answer the football question.

Simply googling turned up several websites purporting to show the percentages of high school players that play in college, and college players that go on to play in the NFL. I've linked to NCAA.org, which has one of the clearest graphic depictions. You can see all the stats for yourself, but the bottom line is, the chances of any given high school player making it to the NFL are way, way beyond remote. This source says it's 0.08%, out of 1,086,627 youth playing high school ball. The statistics they used are almost three years old, but I imagine the current percentages are very close to the same. Also, that's the percentage that made it to "professional" ball, which is not necessarily the NFL.
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Probability-of-going-pro-methodology_Update2013.pdf

I also found an image of what appears to be a framed poster, probably in a locker room somewhere, extolling the virtues of obtaining an education, in light of the slim-and-none chances of having a lucrative NFL career. It has a more detailed listing of each step, but doesn't list the actual percentage making it from high school to the NFL. Interestingly enough, it begins with that same number of 1,086,627.

Now.....the shark attack thing. This is extremely off-topic from football, and pretty lengthy, so disinterested parties be warned. This daggone device I have in my hand makes it much too easy to sit around and Google a lot of the weird, esoteric things that cross my mind. Well, I came across something about sharks on Thursday, which reminded me of a question I've had about shark attack odds. More specifically, how the experts come up with those. As we all know, the chances of any one of us being attacked by a shark are probably along the same chances as one of those high school kids making it to The Show. In other words - almost nonexistent.

But wait! I've wondered recently, aren't those numbers massively skewed? After all, those shark attack calculations must be based on the entire populace. For the vast majority of the populace, which spends 100% of its time on dry land, the percentage chance of being nailed by Jaws or one of his brothers is 0.0, no other integers after the decimal necessary. However - what about the bloke in southern Australia who makes his living diving for abalone? Or the righteous dude who spends six hours a day surfing off the SoCal beaches? I wouldn't imagine the odds for those subsets of humanity are too favorable.

So, Friday afternoon, I was trying to find out how shark attack odds are calculated. Which is why, DP, finding your post that mentions that very same thing, rarely mentioned on VaPreps, struck me as such an odd coincidence. And the really funny thing is, although I didn't find an answer (I didn't look all that long), I did find posts from guys on both scuba and surfing boards wondering the very same thing! That is, they were concerned that their odds of a very unpleasant encounter were much higher than the figures we normally hear.

From what I read, the consensus response was, "Chill out, bro. The chances of it happening are still so low, it's not worth worrying about." Which for me, would be much easier said than done. There is no way on Earth I would ever stick a toe in the ocean in Florida, California, or especially anywhere in Australia. I know it's silly, but I've looked at too many books, and watched too much "Shark Week."

Terrific post Spartan. I would hope that a poster like that is in every high school and college locker room in the US.

Speaking of sharks, did you see where Mrs. Jaws was recently observed via satellite ping, to be off the coast of Virginia again? Mary Lee, she ain't no guppy at 16', 3500lbs.

I agree fully on inaccurate shark attack statistics. I'm always suspicious of statistics, polls, odds, etc. it's way to easy to either purposely or accidentally present inaccurate results.

Example: during the Cold War years, the Solviet Union and the USA competed in a two team match in some kind of sporting event. The USA won, but the Soviet propaganda machine put a different spin on it. They reported that the USSR finished second, but the USA finished next to last!

Again, great writing there, my friend.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
DP, what ever happened to that big QB Dinwiddie had a couple of years ago?? Signed to Tech then went to Fork Union? I knew his backup and successor in 2011, Bryan Finney, who was one of my classmates at Averett University. Seems like Dinwiddie just breeds great athletes.. Corey Marshall was a phenomenal player also.

Chris Hall. He threw it all away. You know how it is. You are the BMOC, and everybody wants to suck up to you. The good, AND the bad. Chris made really poor choices in who he ran with, and it lead him down the wrong road. I have no idea where is is now, but probably totally lost in life.

I wish I could tell you it's something in the water here, but the truth is we have no better athletes than any other area. The difference is Coach Mills, and the program he has built. He just helps kids reach there potential if they are willing to buy in to his methods.

It just makes me sick when some of these kids, like Chris Hall, go through all that they do to be part of the program here, and then turn around and resort back to their previous stupid behavior as soon as they are not under Coach Mills and his staff's guidance and mentorship. It's a slap in the face to them, and to their former teammates.

Corey is something special. I sure hope he can find a niche to fill for New Orleans. I'm sure you saw Spartan's post above. The odds are long. But we are rooting for him.

I read a terrific book written by an Averett University Professor of English, Stephen Ausband. Is he still on facility there? The book title is "Byrd's Line". I recommend it highly. Especially for anyone familiar with Southside Virginia.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Chris Hall. He threw it all away. You know how it is. You are the BMOC, and everybody wants to suck up to you. The good, AND the bad. Chris made really poor choices in who he ran with, and it lead him down the wrong road. I have no idea where is is now, but probably totally lost in life.

I wish I could tell you it's something in the water here, but the truth is we have no better athletes than any other area. The difference is Coach Mills, and the program he has built. He just helps kids reach there potential if they are willing to buy in to his methods.

It just makes me sick when some of these kids, like Chris Hall, go through all that they do to be part of the program here, and then turn around and resort back to their previous stupid behavior as soon as they are not under Coach Mills and his staff's guidance and mentorship. It's a slap in the face to them, and to their former teammates.

Corey is something special. I sure hope he can find a niche to fill for New Orleans. I'm sure you saw Spartan's post above. The odds are long. But we are rooting for him.

I read a terrific book written by an Averett University Professor of English, Stephen Ausband. Is he still on facility there? The book title is "Byrd's Line". I recommend it highly. Especially for anyone familiar with Southside Virginia.
Chris hall didn't throw anything away. Plenty of opportunities athletically but just never hit the books. Went to Fork Union but still lost schollies to VT and Marshall because he failed academically. Went to Virginia Union. Never got past year one. Academics again.

Mills must have had to drag this kid through classes just so he could play. He was lost before he ever got to HS. Doesn't' mean he's stupid. Lot's of things can affect academic failure but it is a shame that one so physically gifted will now travel a different road. GL to him and to Corey. Life has plenty of paths but you still have to put in the work. Otherwise, you're just a cork on the Ocean.

I'm not familiar with Ausband but I'll check his book out! And I figured Hall did make some bad choices along the way. It's sad! Him and Kevin Green from Petersburg who signed with UVA were 2 exceptional players but sadly both made horrible choices. It's sad that drugs, guns, and the "street life" are more important than a quality education with the possibly of earning the chance to play in the league and a total slap in the face to their high school program.

Chris hall didn't throw anything away. Plenty of opportunities athletically but just never hit the books. Went to Fork Union but still lost schollies to VT and Marshall because he failed academically. Went to Virginia Union. Never got past year one. Academics again.

Mills must have had to drag this kid through classes just so he could play. He was lost before he ever got to HS. Doesn't' mean he's stupid. Lot's of things can affect academic failure but it is a shame that one so physically gifted will now travel a different road. GL to him and to Corey. Life has plenty of paths but you still have to put in the work. Otherwise, you're just a cork on the Ocean.
Just curious how do you know he was "lost before high school"? I'm not making any excuses for the young man, but it's not our place to judge him. Hate to bring religion into it, but nobody really knows why this kid strayed away but him and God. I agree, doesn't mean he's stupid,but he was just misled somewhere along the way. I truly hope this young man turns his life around and can be an example for kids everywhere. You can have everything (physically and athletically gifted, scholarship offers, etc.) and lose it all by making bad choices and not taking academics serious..

I have learned the hard way, sometimes it is best just to not say anything. Come on Shaunty. No one knows what each other has gone through on there own personal journey. Also, I don't know a high school coach in the whole state that doesn't preach about achieving good grades , holding yourself accountable, and doing the work. You can always lead a horse to water, but it doesn't mean they are going to drink it. I am sure Dinwiddie as well as all schools and coaches want the kids to achieve academic success without " dragging them through " classes. I don't know what your personal journey has been like , however you seem bitter about it. I wasn't a good student, dropped out of college, took me years to figure out what I was going to do with myself, some would have considered me a failure. I thought I was still searching. now I own a million dollar business. I respect telling it like it is, but sometimes dude! It's better unsaid. These players are human , and talking about them on here about what they have achieved in college and flunking and stuff is disrespectful. These guys might just have a better path to success.

Last edited:
I have learned the hard way, sometimes it is best just to not say anything. Come on Shaunty. No one knows what each other has gone through on there own personal journey. Also, I don't know a high school coach in the whole state that doesn't preach about achieving good grades , holding yourself accountable, and doing the work. You can always lead a horse to water, but it doesn't mean they are going to drink it. I am sure Dinwiddie as well as all schools and coaches want the kids to achieve academic success without " dragging them through " classes. I don't know what your personal journey has been like , however you seem bitter about it. I wasn't a good student, dropped out of college, took me years to figure out what I was going to do with myself, some would have considered me a failure. I thought I was still searching. now I own a million dollar business. I respect telling it like it is, but sometimes dude! It's better unsaid. These players are human , and talking about them on here about what they have achieved in college and flunking and stuff is disrespectful. These guys might just have a better path to success.
Two responses in one. Lost before HS is the "no child left behind philosophy". Ask any Teacher. They do whatever it takes to get them though. They have been dictated to that that's their job. That's today's PubLic School system. I've tutored many graduates for their Army entrance exam. They are all illiterate. Can't add without their fingers. Cannot read a simple newspaper article in under thirty minutes with almost zero comprehension. These kids belong in the 4th or 5th grade. Not receiving a HS diploma.

This is why they fail in College. They are not close ready. There are many faults here. The Students. The parents and the Public School system. There are no truly stupid kids. There is only truly poor support.

my personal journey does have much to do with this thought process but I would think it's 180 degrees from what you presume. Just the most probable scenario. Could be wrong.

Last edited:

Seems to me that is the very definition of throwing something away when you have a chance and are unwilling to do what it takes to follow through(i.e., hit the books). You are correct their are flaws in the education system and there is plenty of blame to go around, however, FUMA over the years has provided a very good support system for kids to get on track if they choose to use it. IMO, saying he was lost before high school might be accurate but, the kid is the one who squandered subsequent opportunities "to be found again" so he did in fact at least throw something away. Whether he "threw it all away" is a chapter yet unfinished if he is still alive.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
This is kind of a rhetorical question. When does a person become accountable for their situation in life?

When a kid grows up in a very undesirable situation, when virtually every peer example they have is bad, when all they know is dishonesty, unaccountability, drugs, excuses, etc., and everything is someone else's fault, when should society expect them to become responsible for their actions?

Generally speaking, when that child has been exposed to positive role models for a long enough period of time, when should we expect more reasonable behavior?

You can see where I'm going here. The environment here in the Dinwiddie school system is certainly not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. Coach Mills and his football program are just part of that "pretty darn good" environment.

Chris Hall was exposed to plenty of good role models. Chris was made to be accountable for his actions. But, after he graduated, he made a choice to walk away from what had been in his best interest. He had everything going for him. He was given help getting ready for VT, by way of FUMA? But, "HE" made the choices that squandered this opportunity.

I find it hard to have sympathy, and to find understanding.

Seems to me that is the very definition of throwing something away when you have a chance and are unwilling to do what it takes to follow through(i.e., hit the books). You are correct their are flaws in the education system and there is plenty of blame to go around, however, FUMA over the years has provided a very good support system for kids to get on track if they choose to use it. IMO, saying he was lost before high school might be accurate but, the kid is the one who squandered subsequent opportunities "to be found again" so he did in fact at least throw something away. Whether he "threw it all away" is a chapter yet unfinished if he is still alive.
There are bumps in almost any road but my fervent hope is that he's still traveling.

This is kind of a rhetorical question. When does a person become accountable for their situation in life?

When a kid grows up in a very undesirable situation, when virtually every peer example they have is bad, when all they know is dishonesty, unaccountability, drugs, excuses, etc., and everything is someone else's fault, when should society expect them to become responsible for their actions?

Generally speaking, when that child has been exposed to positive role models for a long enough period of time, when should we expect more reasonable behavior?

You can see where I'm going here. The environment here in the Dinwiddie school system is certainly not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. Coach Mills and his football program are just part of that "pretty darn good" environment.

Chris Hall was exposed to plenty of good role models. Chris was made to be accountable for his actions. But, after he graduated, he made a choice to walk away from what had been in his best interest. He had everything going for him. He was given help getting ready for VT, by way of FUMA? But, "HE" made the choices that squandered this opportunity.

I find it hard to have sympathy, and to find understanding.
Opposing here. I have nothing but sympathy for such a tragic loss of so much potential. And this has nothing to do with football.

Well, I thought you said you were leaving us. Must have misread that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT