ADVERTISEMENT

Would like to welcome the Union folks to Clarke County

Google says its a little over a five and a half hour drive, is it all interstate from Big Stone?

Google says its a little over a five and a half hour drive, is it all interstate from Big Stone?
Yep, just come on up 81. Take Rt. 7 east exit and go about 7-8 miles to 7 east business into Berryville. Once you get to the roundabout, take the first right exit, you'll see the stadium. Safe travels!!

Reactions: BigWinners
It is basically all interstate. Roughly 3 hours from the Blacksburg exit (118) on 81. You get off at the Berryville exit (318, I believe), then head east on Route 7 for 7(?) miles before coming in at the funeral home toward then traffic circle, then take your first right and head to the stadium. Do you anticipate a large crowd?

Any Patsy Cline fans may want to visit her home/museum on North Kent Street or grave at Shenandoah Memorial in Winchester.

With all the truck traffic on I-81 and one rest stop, figure on at least 6 hours. Straight up I-81, take Exit 315, east on Hwy 7 about 8 miles, take first Berryville exit. Right at roundabout.

FYI, field is not at high school but about 1/4 mile away next to DG Cooley elementary school on Westwood Road.

I would get off 81 at the I-66 intersection, eat in Front Royal (many, many options) then ride on up 522 to... I can't recall the road but It is a straight shot. Not a whole lot of options to eat in Berryville, especially for a large crowd.

By the way, we have at least one player going to UVA-Wise next year, so if any one has any affiliation with the school or advice, it would be appreciated while in town. Thanks!

Do you anticipate a large crowd?
Union hasn't had to travel this far since 2011(Stuart's Draft), so I'm not sure what we will bring.

When we travel local, we typically take 1500-2000 folks. Average ticket sales for home games this season (counting visitors) was 5000 according to an article in a local paper.

From Big Stone Gap it will be nearly 400 miles! I see a stop over for Friday night (Roanoke to Harrisonburg) then rise & shine, eat breakfast and then a couple hours to Clarke!
Have to contend with heavy I81 traffic too!!
Buffalo Gap tp Appo much easier

Yes, explained to my kids that it's like a drive to/from Charlotte for you to get here. Mrs. Rowes in Staunton is a good place to eat if you stay or stop in that area. Of course Yelp can help you figure out where to eat. Would like to meet the posters on this board at the game if possible.

Can't go to the game. Where I am planning to visit my parents in Florida around Christmas I can't afford a 6 hour drive.

Things are exciting for Union.

Yes, explained to my kids that it's like a drive to/from Charlotte for you to get here.

And from over here, Charlotte is about two hours closer, haha. We could almost get to Birmingham and Indianapolis as quick as getting to Clarke Co. If J.I. Burton had beaten Galax today, they would have had a 6 1/2-7 hour trip to Tappahannock.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoJoHokie
I recall the very good crowd that Union brought to Stuarts Draft a few years ago. Very loud and spirited bunch as I recall. Clarke will be about 90 minutes further than that trip.

And from over here, Charlotte is about two hours closer, haha. We could almost get to Birmingham and Indianapolis as quick as getting to Clarke Co. If J.I. Burton had beaten Galax today, they would have had a 6 1/2-7 hour trip to Tappahannock.
Maybe we could verify the Charlotte travel time if Tech gets the Belk Bowl bid that's being rumored!

From Big Stone Gap it will be nearly 400 miles! I see a stop over for Friday night (Roanoke to Harrisonburg) then rise & shine, eat breakfast and then a couple hours to Clarke!
Have to contend with heavy I81 traffic too!!
Buffalo Gap tp Appo much easier
No team should have to travel 400 miles to play a game. That's very hard on a team. VHSL should have a site for all playoff games.

If Clarke County were in the west then Union would be the higher seed. Based on the powerpoints now. But this is the way the cross bracket works. Therefore it's fair.

By the way, we have at least one player going to UVA-Wise next year, so if any one has any affiliation with the school or advice, it would be appreciated while in town. Thanks!
Would love to help you with this, but I didn't go there, and don't currently have any family or close friends that go there. I could only give you general info.

It has a good reputation among locals as well as those from other parts of Virginia and other states. I worked with a girl from the Manassas area that went there for college and liked the area so much she stayed. I don't work there anymore, so I'm not sure if she is still in the area or not.

Cold and lots of snow in the winter!

Don't forget that a 12 hour round trip drive, and possibly a night in a hotel with dining expenses, is not to be taken lightly for some families just three weeks before Christmas.
Union is fortunate in that area. We have a group of parents and community members called "The Bear Den" that have fundraisers specifically for travel expenses, feeding players, and buying "extras" for the team that the school or county doesn't provide. This year they bought rain/winter capes for the team.

Reactions: Pioneer101
A lot of churches in the Big Stone Gap/Appalachia area participate in a "Feed the Bears" program. I think it's usually on Thursday evenings.

And btw, never EVER pronounce Appalachia as AppaLAYsha. This is a BIG mistake. It's Apple-ATCH-a.

Reactions: Pioneer101
Sunny and 50 degrees on Saturday, so hopefully those winter capes won't be needed!! Nice to have though, you don't see many high school teams with such gear.

Can't go to the game. Where I am planning to visit my parents in Florida around Christmas I can't afford a 6 hour drive.

Things are exciting for Union.
You can listen to the game on internet stream at foxsports1550.com or on a mobile device with free iHeart radio app. It's a blast and I get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT