ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, Class 1D is tight

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I think anyone in 4th through 11th can be in or out of the playoffs based on the outcome of a single game. And that's great for the game.

Someone from out that way please tell me the proper way to pronounce "Hogoheegee!" I hate it when non locals mispronounce our local names, and I don't want to be guilty of the same.

I think anyone in 4th through 11th can be in or out of the playoffs based on the outcome of a single game. And that's great for the game.

Someone from out that way please tell me the proper way to pronounce "Hogoheegee!" I hate it when non locals mispronounce our local names, and I don't want to be guilty of the same.

The Region D division 2 playoffs is going to be something to watch . As they have four teams that have a legit shot at winning the region. Graham, Union, Ridgeview and Richlands are all about the same caliber of teams.

Two teams are the top then the rest just beating each other up. Patrick Henry and Chilhowie are a head or so higher than the others IMO. Playoffs look to be interesting with 3-8 kind of up for grabs. A five over a four or even six over a three wouldn’t be a huge shock. I don’t think 1-2 get tested except by each other.

Reactions: Optimal62
I think pretty similar to last year with the roles reversed. Chilhowie was the class last year and really was not tested until the lost to Riverheads. This year PH is the class and not as good as Chilhowie last year they seem to be a little better. I do believe Chilhowie is not as good as the people think and that John I Burton will surprise most.

The Region D division 2 playoffs is going to be something to watch . As they have four teams that have a legit shot at winning the region. Graham, Union, Ridgeview and Richlands are all about the same caliber of teams.

They have 4 teams with a legit shot of winning a state championship.

Patrick Henry and Chilhowie will be the game to watch. If Chilhowie can click for 4 quarters, it will be a close game with PH still on top. Otherwise, PH by 3 td’s. Outside of that, the rest of the teams in 1D and some 2D for that matter are down this year. Barring any injuries, PH and Galax will be the state-semi final game, with Galax advancing. This is my prediction nothing more, please save the hate mail.

And its pronounced ho-go-he-gi or ho-go-he-gee either one is acceptable. But it is app-a-latch-un not app-a-lay-shun mountains. ;)

@Smythcounty1, any chance you have some stats for PHGS or Chilhowie? I know both still lean heavy towards the run but I haven't heard as much about the backs from PH as last year and I really expected a record setting kind of year.

@Smythcounty1, any chance you have some stats for PHGS or Chilhowie? I know both still lean heavy towards the run but I haven't heard as much about the backs from PH as last year and I really expected a record setting kind of year.
One of their top backs got hurt a week or two ago and is going to be out for a bit. I can't remember which one, but I read it on the Bristol Herald Courier website

The game I watched PH play they are running An offense alot like Riverheads. In terms they will pull two lineman and a lead back to the hole to get alot of bodies to the point of attack. They will throw more though. Smyth County can probably tell us more as he has seen both offenses up close the past two years.

Smith has carried the ball for around 900 yards and 13 td's through 7 games. Brown is out with an injury but don't know for how long. He has carried for around 550 yards and 8 td's in 5 games. I would assume Brown would be back for the Chilhowie game on November 1st. They ran a passing game against Rural Retreat which worked out quite well for them. So they are definitely diverse.

Chilhowie, well they rely heavily on their running game from Gilley and Williams. Thomas has been carrying the ball some as of late as well. Thomas 250 yards carrying, 150 yards receiving 5 td's. Gilley 500 yards carrying, 250 receiving 7 tds, Williams 400 yards carrying 6 TD;s, Doss 350 yards receiving, 5 TD's. Through 6 games. Their passing game is okay, the QB needs a little more time from the O-line to execute more effectively.

*Disclaimer* These stats are not certified, they are approximate and are from third party sources, they are not mine.

Last edited:
The game I watched PH play they are running An offense alot like Riverheads. In terms they will pull two lineman and a lead back to the hole to get alot of bodies to the point of attack. They will throw more though. Smyth County can probably tell us more as he has seen both offenses up close the past two years.

@Optimal62 is right. PH has a unique offense and is similar to Riverheads, you never quite know who is going to get the ball. There is misdirection going on for sure. I still haven't figured out the Riverheads offense, nobody has. LOL

@Smythcounty1, thanks for the stats. That was about where I was thinking they would be. I hadn’t heard about Browns injury until someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, hopefully he recovers and gets his touches. He is a senior, correct? If so, you hate to see an injury shorten any part of that. Good luck the rest of the way.

@Smythcounty1, thanks for the stats. That was about where I was thinking they would be. I hadn’t heard about Browns injury until someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, hopefully he recovers and gets his touches. He is a senior, correct? If so, you hate to see an injury shorten any part of that. Good luck the rest of the way.

Yes he is a senior. I hate that too for his injury, hope he recovers soon.

ho-go-HEE-gee. The last syllable has a hard “g” at the beginning, like the “g” in “goose.” At least, that’s how I’ve usually heard it. Someone from really out that way can correct me, if necessary.

[Edit: Sorry, I missed Smythcounty1’s answer, above.]

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You have to give the kids at Chilhowie credit. Although they practiced against the stat runner-ups for two years it helps but is not the same as playing real games. They have played well this season and with it being Sr night at PH in a couple weeks give PH the emotional edge. Give Chilhowie the mental edge of winning for the last couple years. should be a good one.

@zonecoach, I agree practicing against that group had to help. If I had one question for anyone close to the Warriors team, how much playing time did this group get in the blowout games over the last two years? To me that’s where depth is truly built and the game begins to slow down for sophomores and late blooming juniors. Live game action just has a different pace to it regardless of intentions.

This may further explain the Hogo...

@zonecoach, I agree practicing against that group had to help. If I had one question for anyone close to the Warriors team, how much playing time did this group get in the blowout games over the last two years? To me that’s where depth is truly built and the game begins to slow down for sophomores and late blooming juniors. Live game action just has a different pace to it regardless of intentions.

This group played most of the second half of 13 games last year, all the games except the state-semi and the state game. Some of them were starters last year and played the first half and the semi final and state game. They have tons of experience on the field. If they can just get everything to click simultaneously things will really look up for them. Hopefully this two week bye has allowed them some additional time to readjust some things.

Hilarious, but historically accurate. "Marion Sympthazing Rich Valley Alumini talking about how good their Canes are....", oh the people that come to my mind. LOL

I grew up in Varina (Richmond) but my Dad is from Watson Gap. The rest of my family are either Steers or Panthers. Well my Mom is a Gary Coaldigger. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT