ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Courtland (11-2) at #1 Lake Taylor (13-0) Sat. 2pm

Who wins?

• Courtland

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 24 61.5%

• Total voters
Been through this before. He's on the bubble for size and speed at his position. That's just recruiting right now. The military schools are great but he's already behind in the process of getting into those schools. I'm sure you know already how the process works. Doesn't matter how good an athlete you are, you still need those Congressional recommendations, etc. and per the former Strength and Conditioning Coach at Navy, it is an absolute bear to do everything the Cadets need to accomplish and play ball at the same time. More difficult than at any other College Institution.

Unless you have some real bucks, the Ivy's are still pretty tuition prohibitive, despite financial aide. And you get no slack academically. A 4.0 in public HS means you'll barely be an Average kid at one of these schools and the competition is fierce. It's not like going to a JMU or Davidson, especially when many of your 1st year classes will be graded on a curve and a 90 average could mean failure. Public HS does NOT prepare kids for The type of work College requires. I see this over and over.

I strongly recommend you take the lock at Davidson ASAP before it's withdrawn. There is a chance that more will come but you are more likely to be left in limbo if you don't move quickly.

That's excellent advice--Ben has already gotten the Congressional interviews done and we're awaiting their nomination by Christmas. The application is done as well as the DoD physical. It is a very rough ride to play ball and be a cadet at the same time, and I know that's playing heavily on his mind. The fact he's also the state shot put champion helps because several schools are interested in him only for track.

Yea that was the case up until last night. Courtland said they would prefer to play on Saturday so their fans can make it down to the game. We want to play on Friday and since we can't come to a agreement for Friday we have to play at 2pm Saturday which is the VHSL scheduled time. SMH so Courtland gets what they want anyways. You would think because we are the home team we would have some say, but this is the round the VHSL gets to keep the money so they want as many fans there as possible and since Courtland states Saturday is the best day for their fans to show up...Saturday 2pm game time.

Courtland didn't care when they made Lafayette come up there for a 7pm game on a holiday weekend, but even when offered to have the game on Friday at 7:30 to accommodate their fans they said no Saturday. The best part about it they want to play on Saturday to prepare them for what it will be like to have a routine for the state finals the following week. The nerve of the person who said that...I'll let them remain nameless
I'm pretty sure I said visiting team gets to decide when they play but I was told I was wrong

I agree with Dinwiddie Proud , last time I checked the VHSL made the rules for high school football playoff dates and times if there was any change made this would not only affect the two schools playing but the whole state. This is why this policy is in place. If there is "Ambiguity" it should said in the policy. Will there be " Ambiguity " for the state final? What person at VHSL decided this? Doubt it was the moderator of this board. Who is the spokesman for the vhsl on this board? For the record ,I was planning to attend on Saturday, but can't make it on Friday night. Maybe , there were more like me across the state. Are not the rules in place for a reason? To plan ahead? People across the state plan for this.

I agree with Dinwiddie Proud , last time I checked the VHSL made the rules for high school football playoff dates and times if there was any change made this would not only affect the two schools playing but the whole state. This is why this policy is in place. If there is "Ambiguity" it should said in the policy. Will there be " Ambiguity " for the state final? What person at VHSL decided this? Doubt it was the moderator of this board. Who is the spokesman for the vhsl on this board? For the record ,I was planning to attend on Saturday, but can't make it on Friday night. Maybe , there were more like me across the state. Are not the rules in place for a reason? To plan ahead? People across the state plan for this.

The state semifinals, played at home schools, and the state championships, played on college campuses (and at Salem Stadium) are completely different scenarios.

I've simply attempted to teach some of you what I have learned given my time covering the sport and talking to the decision makers in the state for over a decade.

If you choose to ignore, that's fine. I'll spend more time writing articles and hanging out with friends and family. No big deal.

I'm pretty sure I said visiting team gets to decide when they play but I was told I was wrong
Visiting team does not get to decide. They have to come to a MUTUAL understanding. IF a decision isn't mutual then the DEFAULT time is Saturday at 2pm. smh how many times do I have to spell this out. If you want to play on Saturday then basically you don't have to agree making the decision not mutual and leading it to be played on Saturday anyways.

Well you would have missed a hell of a game between Monacan and Lake Taylor last season as we played on a Friday night.

Saturday football at Lake Taylor...BTW this team won the state title.
se%20fans%203.jpg

Well you would have missed a hell of a game between Monacan and Lake Taylor last season as we played on a Friday night.
From what I have heard and seen a game LT could have easily loss. Is there a place in the vhsl policy that it states if both teams agree to a time and date change , then it is a accepted decision ?

From what I have heard and seen a game LT could have easily loss. Is there a place in the vhsl policy that it states if both teams agree to a time and date change , then it is a accepted decision ?
As it has been stated on here many times...Could have loss, but did not lose so what's the point of rehashing that? What point does that have to do with the game day or time? Man I have no time to comb thru VHSL policy..Ask and you shall receive I guess is the policy. We asked the agreed we played.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I Was just asking if the policy was in place or this was just made up and agreed upon by the two teams without consideration of the rest of the state. Thank you.

That's excellent advice--Ben has already gotten the Congressional interviews done and we're awaiting their nomination by Christmas. The application is done as well as the DoD physical. It is a very rough ride to play ball and be a cadet at the same time, and I know that's playing heavily on his mind. The fact he's also the state shot put champion helps because several schools are interested in him only for track.
Ben has earned the right to make his own decisions. When you're a parent, you have to go with that. You've planted the roots. Allow him to grow in his own direction.

GL Saturday and for all his future choices.

Reactions: danbeatty65
I Was just asking if the policy was in place or this was just made up and agreed upon by the two teams without consideration of the rest of the state. Thank you.
What does the rest of the state have to do with the decision to play Friday? Enlighten me... We did what was best for our game not the rest of the state. You can't just schedule that game without the VHSL knowing.

Visiting team does not get to decide. They have to come to a MUTUAL understanding. IF a decision isn't mutual then the DEFAULT time is Saturday at 2pm. smh how many times do I have to spell this out. If you want to play on Saturday then basically you don't have to agree making the decision not mutual and leading it to be played on Saturday anyways.
So pretty much if the visiting team wants to play on Saturday the game is on Saturday

Let me make sure you understand me on this Mike, I agree 100% that a change made in the playing time and date should be flexible to accomadate special circumstances. My persistant argument has nothing to do with that. And Rob, I hear you. The decision is made with the approval of someone at the VHSL. No argument there. And furthermore, its their ball, (the VHSL), and they can take their ball and go home if they want too. Meaning, they make the rules, so they can apply ambiguity any time they want. And they may very well have made the rule and stated it the way it is written with every intention of allowing a modification.

But in absence of a written alteration to the rule as stated, how could anybody interpret the wording other than exactly what it says? It is an administration blunder that should be corrected. If they don't intend for it to be absolute, then change the wording to reflect this.

No, I'm not drinking the water on this one.

Well, regardless of how the decision was made, speaking strictly for myself, I'm relieved that the game is on Saturday at 2:00, which will allow me to make it on time with a ton less stress than it would have caused me if I had to get down there during rush hour Friday evening. There is a lot of passion on this issue apparently and lots of folks just seem to be very invested in being "right." I, for one, don't need to be right on this one--just grateful it turned out the way it did.

What does the rest of the state have to do with the decision to play Friday? Enlighten me... We did what was best for our game not the rest of the state. You can't just schedule that game without the VHSL knowing.
Sorry , I mis read the previous posts, glad the game is on Saturday. Thanks. But the decision to have played on a Friday does affect the rest of the state, because there a lot of people that want to come to these semifinal games, and getting there on a Friday evening is difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT