ADVERTISEMENT

1A East Soccer

Jan 28, 2019
How should the east look this season? I'm sure the usual group will still be right there; Rapp, Northampton, West Point. Who else should be solid this season?

Reactions: uvacavs1
I think those are solid projections for the East. In the West, Galax is still the top. And that will not change unless someone drops down to compete with them at 1A. I'm trying to think of someone else in 1A who will make it close this season...maybe GW or Honaker...big maybe

Reactions: uvacavs1
How should the east look this season? I'm sure the usual group will still be right there; Rapp, Northampton, West Point. Who else should be solid this season?

Northumberland Boys Soccer is positioned to have a banner year after a monster rebuilding phase (just three seasons removed from going 0-50-1 the three years prior).

9 starters (many just juniors) return from last season.

NHS lost in the playoffs away in OT to the Region A champion last season (after having the lead with a minute to go in regulation).

NHS returns goalie Joe Schindler who, with his D, secured the clean sheet in half of the games last season (8 shutouts - 2nd only to Galax - state champion year after year).

All Region D Harry Lee also returns

Look for NHS to be the main challenge for Rapp (3 year NND champions) for district and possible region titles.

Rapp also returns 9 or 10 seniors (including all state striker Rhett Hillman). RHS advanced to the State Championship last season.

Doesn't Northumberland have a new coach this year?

Yes, Caleb Smith will be taking the helm this year!

Coach Smith has been the Northumberland JV coach for many years and has been the right hand man for the Varsity coach (yours truly who has retired for now) for the past three years so he knows the system quite well and will add his own great ideas. Smith also played five years for the great Essex soccer teams when they dominated the Neck back in the day.

Indian Baseball will also new coaches - In Varsity, two former Essex stars will be running the show this year.

a few scores so far - correct if any mistakes and/or add scores

Mathews over Lancaster 5-0
Rappahannock over Mathews 2-1
Northumberland over Rapp County 3-1
King William over Essex 5-2

JV Rapp 2 JV Mathews 2

Girls Varsity - Northumberland 4 King William 0
King William girls beat Essex badly I heard

I will add scores as I hear them (I think W&L plays Middlesex tonight)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT