ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Playoff Picture?

Sheeesh Navy, I’ve never been to a Varina game with an atmosphere. They’re normally as lackadaisical as their team is. I’d have to say Dinwiddie and Louisa are the best atmospheres in the 45 minute radius of Richmond with Louisa being #1. I believe they have the best game atmosphere in the state of Virginia.
It's been over 12 years since we played Varina. As Danny said some of my picks are dated, but I don't get to visit other places often. Mills Godwin was a fun place, but I was there for a Hall of Fame induction and football was not my priority.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Sheeesh Navy, I’ve never been to a Varina game with an atmosphere. They’re normally as lackadaisical as their team is. I’d have to say Dinwiddie and Louisa are the best atmospheres in the 45 minute radius of Richmond with Louisa being #1. I believe they have the best game atmosphere in the state of Virginia.
I'm honestly surprised Varina isn't more rocking than it is. I recall a time in the late 90's and 2000's when it was a great atmosphere.

I'm honestly surprised Varina isn't more rocking than it is. I recall a time in the late 90's and 2000's when it was a great atmosphere.
Well guys, we kind of danced around this, but all things considered, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better overall atmosphere than Dinwiddie. And give us bonus points for traveling to away games. I know we had a crowd equal to or larger than, any other home team this year. And that is pretty much the way it is year after year.

One thing that helps the experience at Dinwiddie is that they don’t hire an outside company for security or the gates. We are very successful in having the same good folks handling those types of task each week. Most have been “working” on Friday nights for many, many years. They are there because they want to be and they enjoy being a good host.

And best of all, our shortcomings are actively being addressed. A turf field is very high on the priority list. Fiber based internet is already being installed to make functions like GoFan tickets and pre-ordering at the concession stand a lot better. This will also resolve a latency problem with the wireless scoreboard that has troubled us for several years.

A new press box and additional bleachers is not two far in the future. Replacing the visitor side bleachers is definitely high on the “to do” list.

Further down the road we are hoping to see additional paved parking areas developed near the field. We have several ideas for developing the current press booth into a money making deal to support other projects.
We would love to develop a ”Wall of Honor” that will allow folks to purchase a brick to honor a loved one, family member, or whomever.

This coming season, we will hold a pregame meal and recognize the former players from the original Black High School, Southside High School. They only had a football team for three years in the late 60’s, and there are almost no records remaining about the team. We hope we can revive their history by assembling those that are still with us.

In the following years, we will host and recognize other past teams that left there mark and helped make Dinwiddie football what it is today. I honestly believe we already provide a safe and enjoyable place to bring your family on Friday nights. And we are working hard to make it even better.

It's been over 12 years since we played Varina. As Danny said some of my picks are dated, but I don't get to visit other places often. Mills Godwin was a fun place, but I was there for a Hall of Fame induction and football was not my priority.
Yes sir, I understand! I’m sure it was a lot better when you went 12 years ago. You’d be surprised that as good as the Varina sports program is, their student body could care less about the games 😂 I was working there the year they won the state basketball championship in 18, it was so underwhelming being in that building when the team had just won the school’s first state championship in anything..

Godwin would be my pick for best atmosphere in RVA. I’ve never been to an Atlee game but the Hanover schools go all out for their kids.

I’m sure if I had ever attended a game at the Jungle, I would have them near the top, but it has just never worked out that I could catch a game there…, yet!

Bo, what’s it like down in NC where you live?
DP, I work at a school with one of the best 4A programs in NC and you’d be surprised at the little support the kids get. I mean these guys won 2 state championships and lost in the state title game last year. We had a big game in Asheville (about 2 hours from where we are) and I’m asking my coworkers if they’re going to the game and they looked at me like I was crazy 😳

Definitely have your schools where support is good. I tried to get to a high school game every week but didn’t see really big crowds until playoffs. I’m learning that NC is really “Hoop State”. If you don’t get to a big basketball game, 3 to 2.5 hours early.., you’re not getting in! I’ve seen some very good basketball games here and I’d say the quality of competition in basketball and football is better because of NC only having 4 classifications.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
There’s so many you could honestly choose from. But me being nostalgic I have to go with (Not including Dinwiddie)
1. LC Bird
2. Highland Springs
3. Hanover (glad they’ve come back around)
4. Thomas Dale
5. Atlee (Roscoe Johnson era)

Well guys, we kind of danced around this, but all things considered, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better overall atmosphere than Dinwiddie. And give us bonus points for traveling to away games. I know we had a crowd equal to or larger than, any other home team this year. And that is pretty much the way it is year after year.

One thing that helps the experience at Dinwiddie is that they don’t hire an outside company for security or the gates. We are very successful in having the same good folks handling those types of task each week. Most have been “working” on Friday nights for many, many years. They are there because they want to be and they enjoy being a good host.

And best of all, our shortcomings are actively being addressed. A turf field is very high on the priority list. Fiber based internet is already being installed to make functions like GoFan tickets and pre-ordering at the concession stand a lot better. This will also resolve a latency problem with the wireless scoreboard that has troubled us for several years.

A new press box and additional bleachers is not two far in the future. Replacing the visitor side bleachers is definitely high on the “to do” list.

Further down the road we are hoping to see additional paved parking areas developed near the field. We have several ideas for developing the current press booth into a money making deal to support other projects.
We would love to develop a ”Wall of Honor” that will allow folks to purchase a brick to honor a loved one, family member, or whomever.

This coming season, we will hold a pregame meal and recognize the former players from the original Black High School, Southside High School. They only had a football team for three years in the late 60’s, and there are almost no records remaining about the team. We hope we can revive their history by assembling those that are still with us.

In the following years, we will host and recognize other past teams that left there mark and helped make Dinwiddie football what it is today. I honestly believe we already provide a safe and enjoyable place to bring your family on Friday nights. And we are working hard to make it even better.
You folks in Dinwiddie do it right down there, there is no question about that.

From the experience of the game with the cannon, the fan support, the small town feel and the hospitality. There is do denying Dinwiddie is top notch.

Way Too Early Top 8 Region 5C
  1. LC Bird
  2. Douglas Freeman
  3. Midlothian
  4. Matoaca
  5. Hermitage
  6. Louisa
  7. Mills Godwin
  8. James River

Bird will be good but have to replace a lot more than people think. DL Moosh, skill guys Lewis, Carpenter, Collins, OL Barlowe are proven. Rising Junior Jaqui Vaughn has big time potential.

Freeman losing DE/TE Abbey and 3 Really good OL and the RB Martin is going to very hard to replace. DL Vest is a good player who’s returning. Expect a drop-off.

Midlothian loses a great Sr class. They have a proven QB in Chambers and WR Kleski. I’ve been told they have as much or more talent in the program as there has been. Sounds like the coaches who have been running the Offense and Defense are staying.

Matoaca is probably my favorite right now with Bryce Yates and Caleb Williams being possibly the best 2 players in the region. They have some massive kids and QB Justus returns.

Hermitage is going to be good and I don’t care who they lost. They have some great athletes and the size and speed in the program is as good as any in region.

James River is a sleeper. The combo QB Layne and RB mangabang are going to be problems next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT