ADVERTISEMENT

4A West Playoff Format Discussion

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Looking at the points today, we are sitting at 18 at 3-3. We likely have to win out which would include wins over 5A 4-2 Orange and 3A 5-1 Western Albemarle. If we win out, I'm assuming those two wins would put us in 10-12 seed range with a 7-3 record. We lose another game and we're likely sitting at home at 6-4. I'm not saying this just because it is us but also because there will be other teams left out who deserve to play a playoff game. Changing the format was easy when 4A West was horrible the last two years and we had 4-6, 5-5 teams filling out the 13-16 seeds. This year we could very well have 7-3 teams outside of the top 12, certainly will be a few 6-4 teams outside of 12 if my predictions come true. 4A West has really come on strong with the addition of a few strong 3A teams, William Byrd and Loudoun Valley moving up as well as LCA coming over from privates. Add in that most of the top teams don't play each other and we're going to end up with a lot of good records. I'm betting the top 9 seeds will all be 8-2 or better, any takers? Doubt any other region in the state this year will have 9 seeds with 8 wins or more, maybe 5A South. It's going to be a shame come November when 6-4, 7-3 teams are at home in 4A West while 2-8, 3-7 teams are playing in 1A, 2A, 3A and 4-6 team is playing in 4A East. Also we have more teams in our region(29) than any other region in the state. It's been blowing me since the decision was made. Hitting me harder now that our backs are against the wall. VHSL really dropped the ball on that decision.

Could you post a list of the West points? I'm not sure where to find them.

Well said one man. The way it's looking you very well easily have a very good Amherst team missing the playoffs. Also throw in Bealeton, Charlottesville, William Byrd, and a LCA team who could very well be very dangerous against a top 4 seed.

Reactions: mike salem
I think it just comes down to money. A lot of these match-ups involved lengthy travel for the visiting teams. Gates for the game were low because few visiting fans came and home fans weren't interested in the visiting team.

A partial solution would be a "pod" structure with Conferences 21 and 22 forming a Northern pod and Conferences 23 and 24 forming a Southern pod. Though, it would be unbalanced with 11 teams in the South and 17 teams in the North, particularly so if 8 teams from each pod made the playoffs. I don't advocate this idea, but I could see it happening.

As a fan, I enjoy seeing novel match-ups in the playoffs, though apparently I'm in the minority.

Reactions: VaPrepsRod
Rank - School - Rating - Record - Remaining Schedule

1 Jefferson Forest 29 (6-0) Amherst, Glass, Liberty-Bed, Brookville
2 Sherando 29 (6-0) Handley, Fort Mill, Skyline, Millbrook
3 Salem 28.6 (6-0) Christiansburg, Patrick Henry, Cave Spring, Pulaski
4 Heritage-LC 28 (6-0) Woodgrove, Champe, Dominion, Loudoun County
5 Champe 27.6 (6-0) Dominion, Loudoun County, Heritage-LC, Freedom-LC
6 Pulaski 27.1 (6-0) Blacksburg, Carroll, Hidden Valley, Salem
7 Woodgrove 26 (5-1) Heritage-LC, Park View, Rock Ridge, Loudoun Valley
8 GW-Danville 23 (5-1) Martinsville, Bassett, Halifax, Magna Vista
9 Loudoun Valley 22.3 (4-2) Freedom-LC, Loudoun County, Park View, Woodgrove
10 Millbrook 22.8 (5-2) James Wood, Handley, Sherando
11 Amherst 22.8 (4-2) JF, Heritage-Lyn, Rustburg, Appomattox
12 James Wood 22.1 (4-2) Skyline, Millbrook, Spring Mills, Handley

13 William Byrd 21.8 (4-2) Northside, Alleghany, Rockbridge, Lord Botetourt
14 Dominion 21.2 (4-3) Champe, Heritage-LC, Park View-Sterling
15 Fauquier 21.1 (4-3) Manassas Park, Eastern View, Liberty-Beal
16 Harrisonburg 21 (4-2) Broadway, Fort Defiance, RE Lee-S, Turner Ashby
17 LCA 20 (4-3) Fork Union, Franklin County, Benedictine
18 Liberty-Beal 20 (4-3) Culpeper, Eastern View, Brentsville, Fauquier
19 Charlottesville 19.4 (3-3) Powhatan, Orange, Western Albemarle, Louisa

Going to be a frantic fight for playoff positioning in the coming weeks. Good Luck to all.

Reactions: mike salem
Looking at the points today, we are sitting at 18 at 3-3. We likely have to win out which would include wins over 5A 4-2 Orange and 3A 5-1 Western Albemarle. If we win out, I'm assuming those two wins would put us in 10-12 seed range with a 7-3 record. We lose another game and we're likely sitting at home at 6-4. I'm not saying this just because it is us but also because there will be other teams left out who deserve to play a playoff game. Changing the format was easy when 4A West was horrible the last two years and we had 4-6, 5-5 teams filling out the 13-16 seeds. This year we could very well have 7-3 teams outside of the top 12, certainly will be a few 6-4 teams outside of 12 if my predictions come true. 4A West has really come on strong with the addition of a few strong 3A teams, William Byrd and Loudoun Valley moving up as well as LCA coming over from privates. Add in that most of the top teams don't play each other and we're going to end up with a lot of good records. I'm betting the top 9 seeds will all be 8-2 or better, any takers? Doubt any other region in the state this year will have 9 seeds with 8 wins or more, maybe 5A South. It's going to be a shame come November when 6-4, 7-3 teams are at home in 4A West while 2-8, 3-7 teams are playing in 1A, 2A, 3A and 4-6 team is playing in 4A East. Also we have more teams in our region(29) than any other region in the state. It's been blowing me since the decision was made. Hitting me harder now that our backs are against the wall. VHSL really dropped the ball on that decision.

One question I have is what decision did the VHSL drop the ball on? Allowing the regions to determine their own playoff formats?

It's going to be a shame come November when 6-4, 7-3 teams are at home in 4A West while 2-8, 3-7 teams are playing in 1A, 2A, 3A and 4-6 team is playing in 4A East.

Not a fan of the logic that says, "Since other regions let in teams with horrible records, we should let in teams with middle of the pack marks".

7-3 is solid, but not sure that it "deserves" a postseason berth.

Having said that, go with either 8 in or 16 so that everyone plays the same number of games. Putting 12 in feels wrong.

I think it just comes down to money. A lot of these match-ups involved lengthy travel for the visiting teams. Gates for the game were low because few visiting fans came and home fans weren't interested in the visiting team.

A partial solution would be a "pod" structure with Conferences 21 and 22 forming a Northern pod and Conferences 23 and 24 forming a Southern pod. Though, it would be unbalanced with 11 teams in the South and 17 teams in the North, particularly so if 8 teams from each pod made the playoffs. I don't advocate this idea, but I could see it happening.

As a fan, I enjoy seeing novel match-ups in the playoffs, though apparently I'm in the minority.

I'm not opposed to the pods if travel and money are the biggest issue then say it and do the pods.

Northwest Pod - 15 (Dulles(8), Northwestern(4), Evergreen(3))
John Champe
Woodgrove
Dominion
Heritage
Freedom
Loudoun County
Loudoun Valley
Rock Ridge
Fauquier
Kettle Run
Liberty
Handley
Millbrook
Sherando
James Wood

Southwest Pod - 13 (River Ridge(3), Piedmont(2), Blue Ridge(2), Seminole(4),Valley(1), Jefferson(1))
Salem
Pulaski
Carroll County
William Fleming
William Byrd
GW-Danville
Bassett
Jefferson Forest
EC Glass
Amherst
LCA
Harrisonburg
Charlottesville

Take the top 8 in each pod and play them down to 2, cross bracket the pods, then cross bracket state semi's and we have ourselves a wonderful high school playoff.

Now, that wasn't too hard was it VHSL?

Not a fan of the logic that says, "Since other regions let in teams with horrible records, we should let in teams with middle of the pack marks".

7-3 is solid, but not sure that it "deserves" a postseason berth.

Having said that, go with either 8 in or 16 so that everyone plays the same number of games. Putting 12 in feels wrong.

I agree Rod, my point is more so make it all uniform throughout the state. Either 16 for all or 12 for all. If everyone was doing 12, I wouldn't have brought this topic up.

Also. Let's look in the record and see how many 3-4 loss state champions we've had. I'd say 7-3 is very deserving of playoffs IMO. 6-4 is borderline but if your schedule was tough enough, it can deserve. I know my 2002 state championship ring doesn't say 10-4 on it but ummm yeah, we were the best even after a 6-4 regular season. Lost to 3 playoff teams including another state champion. Just sayin'.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
tumblr_inline_myouj1R5VJ1qbygev.gif

I agree Rod, my point is more so make it all uniform throughout the state. Either 16 for all or 12 for all. If everyone was doing 12, I wouldn't have brought this topic up.

Your pod post is the winner here, even though I think pods are awful

I'm not opposed to the pods if travel and money are the biggest issue then say it and do the pods.

John Champe
Woodgrove
Dominion
Heritage
Freedom
Loudoun County
Loudoun Valley
Rock Ridge
Fauquier
Kettle Run
Liberty
Handley
Millbrook
Sherando
James Wood

Southwest Pod - 13 (River Ridge(3), Piedmont(2), Blue Ridge(2), Seminole(4),Valley(1), Jefferson(1))
Salem
Pulaski
Carroll County
William Fleming
William Byrd
GW-Danville
Bassett
Jefferson Forest
EC Glass
Amherst
LCA
Harrisonburg
Charlottesville

Take the top 8 in each pod and play them down to 2, cross bracket the pods, then cross bracket state semi's and we have ourselves a wonderful high school playoff.

I like this one man, considering the improvement from last year's records. I think 7-3, 6-4 is good for the playoffs. Got tired of 5-5, 4-6 teams making the playoffs.

One question I have is what decision did the VHSL drop the ball on? Allowing the regions to determine their own playoff formats?

Yes!!! Make it uniform throughout the state. Side note, if your going to hold a regional vote on the format, make sure each school in the region is represented, not just the football powerhouses or your favorite ADs who will vote as you want them too!!

Yes!!! Make it uniform throughout the state. Side note, if your going to hold a regional vote on the format, make sure each school in the region is represented, not just the football powerhouses or your favorite ADs who will vote as you want them too!!
UlA4Z0nZmSzDO.gif

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Just IMO. I appreciate the options offered but it's for Charlottesville's benefit. The current format is fine. Unfortunately, this is a year the Black Knights don't belong. Besides, they will not win out and the point will be mute. They have not been a .500 team since 2002. It's not likely that will change.

John Champe
Woodgrove
Dominion
Heritage
Freedom
Loudoun County
Loudoun Valley
Rock Ridge
Fauquier
Kettle Run
Liberty
Handley
Millbrook
Sherando
James Wood

Salem
Pulaski
Carroll County
William Fleming
William Byrd
GW-Danville
Bassett
Jefferson Forest
EC Glass
Amherst
LCA
Harrisonburg
Charlottesville

One Man the 4a East has two pods with eight teams qualifying with cross bracketing for the semis. The VHSL had nothing to with it. The East region decided the format.

Just IMO. I appreciate the options offered but it's for Charlottesville's benefit. The current format is fine. Unfortunately, this is a year the Black Knights don't belong. Besides, they will not win out and the point will be mute. They have not been a .500 team since 2002. It's not likely that will change.

The VHSL had nothing to do with the setup. The 12 team setup and 4 byes was a Regional decision but I too wish it were the same for all.

Also, there will always be a few Cinderellas that pull an upset or two. Perhaps even more. The NCAA Basketball Tourney attests to that. But, in The vast majority of cases, the ugly chick rarely gets asked to the Ball.

17 shauntclair, Oct 4, 2015

I'll chalk this up to the old age.

About The Ville...1 game at a time...have fun counting our chickens.

The VHSL had nothing to do with the setup. The 12 team setup and 4 byes was a Regional decision but I too wish it were the same for all.

Also, there will always be a few Cinderellas that pull an upset or two. Perhaps even more. The NCAA Basketball Tourney attests to that. But, in The vast majority of cases, the ugly chick rarely gets asked to the Ball.

3V7kRIX4qRFxC.gif

I'm not sure I understand. This is the Region set up. I would like to see it uniform across the board but it's not. This is the boat 4A West in. Earn or spot or go home. no chance Charlottesville goes 7 - 3 anyway so the point is mute.

have fun laying those eggs.

one man, this isn't a matter of back door dealing or inviting just a few ADs to a meeting to vote. I don't think ANYONE would stand for anything like that across all classifications. If you have questions about the system, talk to your AD, they should be the one in the know. And I don't think that any AD votes with the fans in mind, thinking "I wonder what fans would like best, who cares what's best for my school, but what do the fans want?"

To the best of my knowledge, these votes are as democratic as can be, motioned, seconded, discussed and voted upon. Some vote Yea, some vote Nea. Ask your AD how he/she voted...or if they were even at the meeting to give your school a voice.

To the best of my knowledge, these votes are as democratic as can be, motioned, seconded, discussed and voted upon. Some vote Yea, some vote Nea. Ask your AD how he/she voted...or if they were even at the meeting to give your school a voice.
The C'ville AD wasn't there.

I'm guessing he was invited.

So what are you and one man trying to point out to everyone? You seem to be insinuating that the vote was "tainted" because the Cville AD wasn't there.

Well, if he was invited and did not show up, that's not the region's fault nor the fault of the VHSL.

What point are you two attempting to get across? I guess that I am confused.

I remember one year when Salem was 8-2 and left out of playoffs completely, and it seemed crazy at the time . I believe it was 2003 and we lost in a close game to William Byrd 24 to 20 and to Blacksburg 17 to 16. We also beat eventual state runner up William Fleming 26 to 7 . Fleming was shut out I believe in state final 6-0 I believe . I believe that was the year Fleming was extremely hard to score upon . They had 2 division 1 linebackers . One went to Florida and one to Marshall . I don't think it will ever be perfect ! I also remember in 2004 running the table with all away games with only one loss to Christiansburg 36 to 35 .

So what are you and one man trying to point out to everyone? You seem to be insinuating that the vote was "tainted" because the Cville AD wasn't there.

Well, if he was invited and did not show up, that's not the region's fault nor the fault of the VHSL.

What point are you two attempting to get across? I guess that I am confused.
I didn't wanna be too nosy so I don't have more details, I just know he didn't go.

I didn't wanna be too nosy so I don't have more details, I just know he didn't go.

Right, but you seem to be agreeing with and defending this statement....

I don't understand the complaint about not having all of the AD's there if yours was invited but, for whatever reason, did not show up.

Why is that making you guys made at the region?

Right, but you seem to be agreeing with and defending this statement....

I don't understand the complaint about not having all of the AD's there if yours was invited but, for whatever reason, did not show up.

Why is that making you guys made at the region?

Ok Rod, back to this topic after I was finally able to speak with my AD about this meeting. Meeting was announced 4 days prior and the meeting was held, ironically, in Roanoke. I was under the impression it was in Cville but it was actually held in Roanoke. My AD was unable to attend on such short notice and was told he could send his vote in by mail. He never received any paper work about the actual numbers of how the vote turned out. He was told 12 teams won over 16. I find this suspicious. You guys can say what you want but I'm guessing since the meeting was held in Roanoke, Salem played a big role in this whole meeting and how it turned out.

This game is for the kids, point blank and period. People who think the VHSL is broke or hurting financially are nieve. I'd bet most of the LoCo 4As are well off enough to make a long bus ride. I guarantee you ask any coach or AD that is 13-16 seed, would you like to travel 4 hours to play a team who will likely beat you by 35-40 points they are going to be glad to hop on that bus and play that game.

Now my beef is make everything uniform, state shouldn't allow each region to dictate. Very good chance Harrisonburg beats TA this week, they will still be at home with a 7-3 record. Yes I understand they played a very weak schedule and losses were against us, 3A brookville and 2A RE Lee. Not great losses, I get it. Regardless of that though, they won 7 of 10 games and no other team in the state of Virginia with 7 wins will be sitting at home. This grinds my gears to the fullest because it's about those kids. They deserve an opportunity to participate in a playoff game, whether they win or lose by 100.

I'm not bringing this back up for my school or team because we had our chance and didn't make it happen this year. Again as I've said, possibly 7-3 team sitting at home and likely 2 or 3 6-4 teams also sitting at home in 4A West. While we'll have 3 or 4 teams with losing records playing in 3A East. VHSL makes all regions 12 teams or 16 teams then I'll drop the discussion.

Ok Rod, back to this topic after I was finally able to speak with my AD about this meeting. Meeting was announced 4 days prior and the meeting was held, ironically, in Roanoke. I was under the impression it was in Cville but it was actually held in Roanoke. My AD was unable to attend on such short notice and was told he could send his vote in by mail. He never received any paper work about the actual numbers of how the vote turned out. He was told 12 teams won over 16. I find this suspicious. You guys can say what you want but I'm guessing since the meeting was held in Roanoke, Salem played a big role in this whole meeting and how it turned out.

This game is for the kids, point blank and period. People who think the VHSL is broke or hurting financially are nieve. I'd bet most of the LoCo 4As are well off enough to make a long bus ride. I guarantee you ask any coach or AD that is 13-16 seed, would you like to travel 4 hours to play a team who will likely beat you by 35-40 points they are going to be glad to hop on that bus and play that game.

Now my beef is make everything uniform, state shouldn't allow each region to dictate. Very good chance Harrisonburg beats TA this week, they will still be at home with a 7-3 record. Yes I understand they played a very weak schedule and losses were against us, 3A brookville and 2A RE Lee. Not great losses, I get it. Regardless of that though, they won 7 of 10 games and no other team in the state of Virginia with 7 wins will be sitting at home. This grinds my gears to the fullest because it's about those kids. They deserve an opportunity to participate in a playoff game, whether they win or lose by 100.

I'm not bringing this back up for my school or team because we had our chance and didn't make it happen this year. Again as I've said, possibly 7-3 team sitting at home and likely 2 or 3 6-4 teams also sitting at home in 4A West. While we'll have 3 or 4 teams with losing records playing in 3A East. VHSL makes all regions 12 teams or 16 teams then I'll drop the discussion.
I don't know how much Salem influenced the vote. I do know based on comments after the fact that Salem was in favor of moving to a 12 team format with byes. They were the 1 or 2 seed the first 2 years so I understand their reasoning. I understand the frustration from your standpoint as well. I think it should be uniform throughout. I also like a more regional format.

in cross country in 5A, 40 gets at large bids to the South regional while only about 8-10 get them in the North regional. They also take 16 teams to the 5A south regional and only 12 to the 5A north regional.

So football's not the only sport where the playoff system is just whatever the hell the whim of the AD's happens to be. I hope in the new new realignment they will make this stuff uniform.

The thing you all seem to not incorporate into this discussion is that the VHSL has nothing to do with the Regional playoff formats. They classify teams and provide certain ground rules. The Regions run themselves. It is not likely that one attending or non-attending rep would have made much difference in the 4A West Regional configuration decision.

Now, don't get me wrong, I agree with a uniform playoff system for all classifications but there's nothing I can do about it. And unless there is a structural reconfiguration of bylaws, there's nothing the VHSL can do either. The Regions retain their decision making powers for a reason. It helps them feel a balance between the power of the VHSL and their own. In other words, the VHSL cannot dictate EVERYTHING to them. It is also unlikely the Regional reps will vote away any of their current authorities.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I'll be honest @one man , I can't even follow this thread anymore.

I can't tell if you are mad at the VHSL, the region, Salem or the AD. My best guess is..... all of them?

One Man, I'm with VA Preps Rod on this one, who are you mad at?

Here's the thing, I'm not sure what your AD is telling you, but the vote was not done in Roanoke. The meeting was not called four days prior. The ADs of last year's 13-16 were in favor of the change, not wanting to pay $5000 just for transportation to a playoff game after limping into the playoffs, knowing the region was not going to be able to reimburse all of the travel. I know all of this because I was there, I voted, I sat in the conference room at the CHARLOTTESVILLE VHSL office and voted.

I know Virginia Preps gives everyone a chance to speak their mind, that's fine and dandy, but get your facts straight and stop bashing people that do a job so that we have something to talk about on here.

If you want to make a change, apply for the AD job at Charlottesville HS next time it opens up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT