1. Western Albemarle
2. E.C. Glass
3. Blacksburg
4. Danville
5. Orange
6. Halifax Co.
7. Pulaski Co.
8. JF
The top 4 seeds took care of business last night. How you do see the Semi's playing out?

Blacksburg (16-7) @ EC Glass (20-4)
GW Danville (17-6) @ Western Albemarle (21-1)

Bburg has good length on the roster, will be interesting to see how that length can affect Glass PG Harris. If they can keep Harris in front of them and then contest when he does get to the basket, they should have a chance. If Glass is making 3's though, they will be tough to beat at home.

GW has the long trip to Western. Western's style of play on both sides will really challenge GW IMO. The packline defense collapses on your slashers and forces you to make 3's. Does GW have the shooters? On the other end, Western will employ a methodical offense centered around 6'7 C Josh Sime. If GW can make some 3's and hold their own on the boards, they can pull the upset. Western does a great job on the offensive glass. If GW shoots below 30% or gets vastly out rebounded, it'll be an uphill battle.

The top 4 seeds took care of business last night. How you do see the Semi's playing out?

Blacksburg (16-7) @ EC Glass (20-4)
GW Danville (17-6) @ Western Albemarle (21-1)

Bburg has good length on the roster, will be interesting to see how that length can affect Glass PG Harris. If they can keep Harris in front of them and then contest when he does get to the basket, they should have a chance. If Glass is making 3's though, they will be tough to beat at home.

GW has the long trip to Western. Western's style of play on both sides will really challenge GW IMO. The packline defense collapses on your slashers and forces you to make 3's. Does GW have the shooters? On the other end, Western will employ a methodical offense centered around 6'7 C Josh Sime. If GW can make some 3's and hold their own on the boards, they can pull the upset. Western does a great job on the offensive glass. If GW shoots below 30% or gets vastly out rebounded, it'll be an uphill battle.
Good write up bro.

I’ll be there Tuesday night. I like WA by 10-15. Too much size. Too disciplined. Lots of shooters. GW has shooters and plays really good defense. They get a lot of buckets off of turnovers and they do that really well. It’s the lack of discipline for me that stands between GW and winning this game.

Reactions: VolNation85
Western should beat GW by 10+.
Blacksburg/EC Glass will be a great game. I’ll take Glass in OT. However, it’s worth noting Blacksburg beat LCA by 25+ while Glass lost to them once. However, Glass did handle them twice so I think it’s a small gap between them. Glass homecourt will be big.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It’s a shame Pulaski and Louisa have to play each other in the semis. Both teams are 30+ points better than ec glass on the court. I understand it is by points, but it didn’t fall correctly this year. The only really good team glass played this year is Carroll co and lost by 40. Pulaski and Louisa are on that level.

It’s a shame Pulaski and Louisa have to play each other in the semis. Both teams are 30+ points better than ec glass on the court. I understand it is by points, but it didn’t fall correctly this year. The only really good team glass played this year is Carroll co and lost by 40. Pulaski and Louisa are on that level.
I think you are referring to the girls side. The original post was about the boys games. But I do believe you are on to something in regards to the girls.

I think you are referring to the girls side. The original post was about the boys games. But I do believe you are on to something in regards to the girls.
Yes, sorry. The first post is about boys and the second post is about the girls seeding. When only the final two teams get to move on - there should be a better system to makes sure the top two teams do not face off in the semi's. I get it though, without relying on a points system, you would have to incorporate a committee/person to do the seedings. I assume they want to avoid that for multiple reasons.

Yes, sorry. The first post is about boys and the second post is about the girls seeding. When only the final two teams get to move on - there should be a better system to makes sure the top two teams do not face off in the semi's. I get it though, without relying on a points system, you would have to incorporate a committee/person to do the seedings. I assume they want to avoid that for multiple reasons.

Indeed. It gets tricky. It would be really interesting to have someone seed teams to avoid issues like Louisa and Pulaski facing in the second round, but I do think that would bring even more problems to the table. How many times has an underseeded team blitzed through a weak region because they played in an incredibly tough district filled with schools bigger than them? That can be a problem, but also can be a pretty cool Cinderella story. However, I agree something should be done to keep two of the best teams facing early. Another example of this was in Region 5D boys. That is a huge region, and two of VA Preps top 10 Class 5 teams (Albemarle and William Fleming) in that region along with PH Roanoke (honorable mention top 10) and Fleming and PH squared off in the sub-region play-in game. Both teams could easily win that region in my opinion. Patrick Henry's season is over after losing in OT and they are one of the best teams in Class 5. That's crazy to me.

Indeed. It gets tricky. It would be really interesting to have someone seed teams to avoid issues like Louisa and Pulaski facing in the second round, but I do think that would bring even more problems to the table. How many times has an underseeded team blitzed through a weak region because they played in an incredibly tough district filled with schools bigger than them? That can be a problem, but also can be a pretty cool Cinderella story. However, I agree something should be done to keep two of the best teams facing early. Another example of this was in Region 5D boys. That is a huge region, and two of VA Preps top 10 Class 5 teams (Albemarle and William Fleming) in that region along with PH Roanoke (honorable mention top 10) and Fleming and PH squared off in the sub-region play-in game. Both teams could easily win that region in my opinion. Patrick Henry's season is over after losing in OT and they are one of the best teams in Class 5. That's crazy to me.
I guess the old adage is, you will have to play that team eventually. You have to beat whoever is placed in front of you. But, with long road trips for Regions now a days, home court is a big advantage for the players and fans who who do not have to travel 2-3 hours for a regional game.

GW Western Albemarle was closer than many predicted. Eagles lost by 8 at Western Albemarle 48-40.

GW really put it together at the end of the season. Too bad that 4D is so strong this year. Western is a tough team to beat-very much like UVA in the sense of no matter how bad they shoot they will be in games cause they play that pack-line so well. GW looked good tonight, Western was just a bit better.

Western/Glass will be great IMO. Especially if Glass is hitting like they normally do.

Western/King’s Fork for the 4A championship will be ridiculously good. KF hasn’t seen anything like Western this year.

Lot of teams that could make it but definitely could be a good one. Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley, Varina, and EC Glass have a lot to say though.

Sime for Western is one of the most impressive big men I have seen, I love watching him play. If Western continues to play good team D and their shooters knock down good looks they very well could make the state championship. Not a knock on the kids, but they are probably the least talented team out of the contenders, especially outside of Sime, which makes their success all the more impressive. Team ball and great coaching can get you far.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man
I'm interested in seeing the WA/ECG game as well. I dont know anything about WA other than what I have read here. But I do know that Glass will be very tough to beat if they are knocking down 3's because then WA can't pack the line and will be forced to guard O'maundre Harris tightly. There isn't a guard west of Richmond that can keep Harris in front of them.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I'm interested in seeing the WA/ECG game as well. I dont know anything about WA other than what I have read here. But I do know that Glass will be very tough to beat if they are knocking down 3's because then WA can't pack the line and will be forced to guard O'maundre Harris tightly. There isn't a guard west of Richmond that can keep Harris in front of them.

I do think a lot of people are overlooking Glass-they are a great team. Western will have problems if Glass is making threes. They don't have the athletes Glass does so if it turns into a high scoring barn-burner I'll definitely give the edge to the Hilltoppers.

Reactions: VolNation85
Lot of teams that could make it but definitely could be a good one. Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley, Varina, and EC Glass have a lot to say though.

Sime for Western is one of the most impressive big men I have seen, I love watching him play. If Western continues to play good team D and their shooters knock down good looks they very well could make the state championship. Not a knock on the kids, but they are probably the least talented team out of the contenders, especially outside of Sime, which makes their success all the more impressive. Team ball and great coaching can get you far.
Seen Varina and King’s Fork play a good amount of times and they both lack discipline. Think they can beat team strictly off their talent. I hope you’re right. I’d love to see a team from the West beat that azz. Highly possible. I like Western’s chances.

Put some respect on our name! Pulaski was not 30 points better!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT