ADVERTISEMENT

5D Playoffs

Nov 13, 2019
Based on the reorganization and teams shifting regions, 5D is now down to 9 teams versus 17 last year. Will top 8 still make it into the playoffs? Someone mentioned to me that it may be top 6 with 1 & 2 getting a bye, but reading VHSL rules it still states top 8 teams from all regions make the playoffs.

Based on the reorganization and teams shifting regions, 5D is now down to 9 teams versus 17 last year. Will top 8 still make it into the playoffs? Someone mentioned to me that it may be top 6 with 1 & 2 getting a bye, but reading VHSL rules it still states top 8 teams from all regions make the playoffs.
Top 6, 1 & 2 get 1st rd bye, from my understanding.

Reactions: 540HSfootballFan
Yes, VHSL rule says top 8, unless the Region decides otherwise. Obviously 5D decided otherwise. 4D used to do that, (6), but I think they do 8 now. I think that one of the smaller class Regions is going with 6. And 4C has a weird formula that includes District champs.

Yes, VHSL rule says top 8, unless the Region decides otherwise. Obviously 5D decided otherwise. 4D used to do that, (6), but I think they do 8 now. I think that one of the smaller class Regions is going with 6. And 4C has a weird formula that includes District champs.
Thank you for the information. Yea I checked VHSL's site just thought they would clarify that or break it down in the weekly ratings. Probably shouldn't have assumed :)

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thank you for the information. Yea I checked VHSL's site just thought they would clarify that or break it down in the weekly ratings. Probably shouldn't have assumed :)
You are correct, it would be nice if they included a note under the Regional ratings that explain what playoff format each Region has decided to use.

I believe that when the playoff fields are set and posted, it’s obvious what the format is. But, like you, I like to know as the season plays out, does a school need to be 8th or above, or 6th or above, or maybe some other format?

Many want the League to mandate a universal format, but League membership has always been insistent that the Regions retain their autonomy. I personally agree with that approach. What is best in NOVA, may not be what’s best in SWVA.

Reactions: 540HSfootballFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT