ADVERTISEMENT

Appo-glenvar

@intrinsicreward How does this year's Glenvar run defense compare to the '14, '15 teams?

'14 was awesome and '15 was nearly impenetrable. If they are anything like that, Appo will have a very hard time moving the ball on the ground.

Salem Stadium is the place according to my sources. Surprised it isn't at Bogle but I guess since VHSL is paying for playoff games, that is the reason why.

Glenvar could have played the "it's in our favor to keep it in the mud" at Glenvar Stadium but like I said on here earlier, our coach an admin do not think like that.

@intrinsicreward How does this year's Glenvar run defense compare to the '14, '15 teams?

'14 was awesome and '15 was nearly impenetrable. If they are anything like that, Appo will have a very hard time moving the ball on the ground.
We are close..maybe as good as 14-15....not sure until they beat a better running team like Appo. Closest thing we've faced this year would be Galax. Looks like it will be strength against strength. I do not think Appo will control the LOS. They will have to have at least some passing game. That's why I like our chances.

Appo will not control the line of scrimmage nor will they get to bring their officiating crew. But I still say they win on Glenvar lack of Offense
Officiating crew? Come on if you are talking about holding or blocking below the knees outside of the tackle boxes.....Single Wing teams all do it and most of the time get away with it. When you do it 7-10 yards downfield on LB's, that's on you. We got penalized on a personal foul for "hitting an opposing player with unnecessary force" while he was inbounds tight-roping the sidelines. Not out of bounds....
Both teams were physical, both teams turned the ball over and both teams got penalties. We were the better team on this particular night. I thought both teams displayed great sportsmanship and class from beginning to end. Easy to say after a win (I know) but true nonetheless.
I'm not predicting anything but hopefully a good football game Friday. Glenvar has many weapons on both sides of the ball. Hopefully our coaches create a great scheme and our players can execute.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Hello all, some of you know may know me on other forums. I'm a dedicated Spartan who used an inanimate object in 2013 to beat Appomattox is the playoffs. The good news is that I could bring my horn to Salem stadium since it's allowed there. I just don't know if I can go a whole season without letting Appo hear it. Wow, my first post on here may start a war..all jokes aside Appomattox is solid again but they aren't like the last 3 years. I'm ranking them as the 3rd best 2A school that Giles has played this year. Both teams lack a passing game but can run the ball. Ferguson is a load!! But so is Loader. Glenvar has the better run defense IMO. I think it will come down to the wire. Good luck to both!

Hello all, some of you know may know me on other forums. I'm a dedicated Spartan who used an inanimate object in 2013 to beat Appomattox is the playoffs. The good news is that I could bring my horn to Salem stadium since it's allowed there. I just don't know if I can go a whole season without letting Appo hear it. Wow, my first post on here may start a war..all jokes aside Appomattox is solid again but they aren't like the last 3 years. I'm ranking them as the 3rd best 2A school that Giles has played this year. Both teams lack a passing game but can run the ball. Ferguson is a load!! But so is Loader. Glenvar has the better run defense IMO. I think it will come down to the wire. Good luck to both!
And all this time I just assumed you were one of the other Giles posters with a different name. Lol

Reactions: VaTech98
I'm pretty sure they will move it. Doubt they move it to Salem Stadium. Bogle is free because it is in the school district. Salem is costly. Glenvar played first round at Bogle (Cave Spring/Hidden Valley) last Friday in first round.
They moved it to Salem Stadium after all.

I'm gonna go with BGap playing em closer then expected and East Rock only winning by 14. I got Luray over Central by 2 touchdowns in that.game.

That is EXACTLY what I just said. You have picked every game by 2 TDs.

But, 14 would actually be a bigger margin than 1st time of ER/BG.

He has revealed himself FINALLY! Yes, I have seen you on other board as well, but didnt know you was the guy with the horn though. Its all good nowadays. 3 road losses in Appo during playoffs, that is enough to be satisfied about what you did in 2013. Throughout the years, I have always said I LIKE THE HORN!!!! I just dont like how you used it. You blew it on appo cadence counts. That was my biggest gripe. So be it....good luck bringing that horn in Salem when we cant even bring cowbells (if I remember correctly). What happened to the Glenvar Horn Guy? Didnt they have one as well???

AND.... Smith is my guy and great friend of mine but his play calling and game management was horrible that game. Not to mention it was the worst reffed game I have witnessed in my life. They both played a factor as well. Glenvar will probably see a 2013 Appomattox team. Run only... without a passing game. Smith has been fortunate to have a great passing attack that utilized the shotgun to keep Ds honest not to just zone in on split back veer under snap O. The next three years with Tre Lawing under snap...its only going to get better with pieces around him.

Reactions: Stabler1980
He has revealed himself FINALLY! Yes, I have seen you on other board as well, but didnt know you was the guy with the horn though. Its all good nowadays. 3 road losses in Appo during playoffs, that is enough to be satisfied about what you did in 2013. Throughout the years, I have always said I LIKE THE HORN!!!! I just dont like how you used it. You blew it on appo cadence counts. That was my biggest gripe. So be it....good luck bringing that horn in Salem when we cant even bring cowbells (if I remember correctly). What happened to the Glenvar Horn Guy? Didnt they have one as well???

AND.... Smith is my guy and great friend of mine but his play calling and game management was horrible that game. Not to mention it was the worst reffed game I have witnessed in my life. They both played a factor as well. Glenvar will probably see a 2013 Appomattox team. Run only... without a passing game. Smith has been fortunate to have a great passing attack that utilized the shotgun to keep Ds honest not to just zone in on split back veer under snap O. The next three years with Tre Lawing under snap...its only going to get better with pieces around him.

Actually Salem will allow cowbells, horns, etc. They just won’t allow it for the state game. We took the horn there when we played Radford at Salem Stadium this year. The city manager herself said she didn’t care as long as it wasn’t the state championship game.

As far as 2013 goes, yes we were wreckless with the horn. Did we cause Appo to lose the game? Ehhh doubt it, the better team caused them to lose. If they can’t handle a horn then they’ll never last in a D1 stadium if they plan on playing at the next level. But we have calmed down a lot. We showed that in 2016 when we brought it to Appo. We blew it when we scored and when we only had the ball, not a single time when Appo had the ball. But we had the momentum on offense and so the principal or AD whoever he is cried about it. That’s why I will always refer to your field as “Cry-baby Bragg Stadium” but it is what it is. It’s yalls field and you’re free to set whatever rules you want. I have the upmost respect for Coach Smith and the classy players that Appo has had over the years. Congrats on whooping us for the third straight year... Good luck the rest of the season, look forward seeing you guys in a few days!

Reactions: Bo Bob
Actually Salem will allow cowbells, horns, etc. They just won’t allow it for the state game. We took the horn there when we played Radford at Salem Stadium this year. The city manager herself said she didn’t care as long as it wasn’t the state championship game.

As far as 2013 goes, yes we were wreckless with the horn. Did we cause Appo to lose the game? Ehhh doubt it, the better team caused them to lose. If they can’t handle a horn then they’ll never last in a D1 stadium if they plan on playing at the next level. But we have calmed down a lot. We showed that in 2016 when we brought it to Appo. We blew it when we scored and when we only had the ball, not a single time when Appo had the ball. But we had the momentum on offense and so the principal or AD whoever he is cried about it. That’s why I will always refer to your field as “Cry-baby Bragg Stadium” but it is what it is. It’s yalls field and you’re free to set whatever rules you want. I have the upmost respect for Coach Smith and the classy players that Appo has had over the years. Congrats on whooping us for the third straight year... Good luck the rest of the season, look forward seeing you guys in a few days!
You call it Cry-baby Bragg when all they remember is you BLOWING that horn without a stop button with us on O in 2013.

Yes, I agree that you did blow it correctly until like the second qtr when yall started losing in 2016....you got reckless and i agree with principal and AD. Dont act like you blew it correctly. If I remember right, the deal was blow it only when scoring a TD or FG. Yall started blowing it during the game.

Last edited:
This argument is about a little ole train horn? Shoot let's get an airplane horn that plays Dukes of Hazzard and make sure it goes to all your rivals lol

SAD thing is...i didnt mention or the Appo fans on board never mentioned the HORN one time during the build up for Giles/Appo last week. NOW this guy wants to reveal himself on a Glenvar post to say....."I might bring the horn to Salem"....I guess he didnt get enough attention last week....so is it about HIM or GILES????

Reactions: Stabler1980
@Gunz41 having been witness to the horn in a playoff game at Giles. It is loud and disruptive. That said, I thought I was awesome and didn’t affect the game in one bit. I will guarantee there are louder fans that line the fields at times.

I had a great time at Giles in the sun 20* temps with wind and that damn train horn.

@Gunz41 having been witness to the horn in a playoff game at Giles. It is loud and disruptive. That said, I thought I was awesome and didn’t affect the game in one bit. I will guarantee there are louder fans that line the fields at times.

I had a great time at Giles in the sun 20* temps with wind and that damn train horn.

Just trying to lighten it up so we didn't have another argument on here. So I vote Appomattox gets a plane horn and plays Dukes of Hazzard

SAD thing is...i didnt mention or the Appo fans on board never mentioned the HORN one time during the build up for Giles/Appo last week. NOW this guy wants to reveal himself on a Glenvar post to say....."I might bring the horn to Salem"....I guess he didnt get enough attention last week....so is it about HIM or GILES????

All I wanted to do was get on here and make that one statement that the horn didn’t beat Appo in 2013. A state championship football team beat Appo. Since we started blowing it in 2008, Appo is the only one to really complain about.. besides the jerk from Gretna that tried destroying it and ended up in jail.

But I was joking about bringing it to Salem, I’ll be rooting on the Waves Friday. Advocate I’ve talked to you on Facebook about this and admitted that yes we use to be wreckless with that horn but ask any school that we’ve played in the last 4 years and they will tell you that it’s not disruptive. I know it’ll never be allowed at Bragg and I’m fine with that. But it will be brought up every year because it looks like we’re never going to avoid Appo in the playoffs but nothing personal to you, your fans, coaches or players. Me and my father lug that old thing around every Friday and will continue until he can’t anymore. Then it will be on me to take over. That’s all I wanted to say about it. Now let’s talk football!

All I wanted to do was get on here and make that one statement that the horn didn’t beat Appo in 2013. A state championship football team beat Appo. Since we started blowing it in 2008, Appo is the only one to really complain about.. besides the jerk from Gretna that tried destroying it and ended up in jail.

But I was joking about bringing it to Salem, I’ll be rooting on the Waves Friday. Advocate I’ve talked to you on Facebook about this and admitted that yes we use to be wreckless with that horn but ask any school that we’ve played in the last 4 years and they will tell you that it’s not disruptive. I know it’ll never be allowed at Bragg and I’m fine with that. But it will be brought up every year because it looks like we’re never going to avoid Appo in the playoffs but nothing personal to you, your fans, coaches or players. Me and my father lug that old thing around every Friday and will continue until he can’t anymore. Then it will be on me to take over. That’s all I wanted to say about it. Now let’s talk football!
Sounds good! I applaud you and ya father (didnt know you was the son actually in this thread, now i know).Yep we have spoken on FB about it and we both agreed about it. I stand on my post above on 2016 though and why it was shut down that year. I love the enthusiasm from Giles fans and getting behind a team that is borderline 1A. Yall keep producing great teams with that single wing and won many titles with it. Yall still get behind this team with some resilience. I did see a drop off in attendance in last game and that is expected with a team that took the hits yall did this season.

You seem to be a humble dude and i would buy you a meal if i could ( and ya pops). I work with a guy from Giles and I met Hunter Epplesley from 2013 team. Both great and humble guys. I just congratulated Hunter for his gig with VT.

Sounds good! I applaud you and ya father (didnt know you was the son actually in this thread, now i know).Yep we have spoken on FB about it and we both agreed about it. I stand on my post above on 2016 though and why it was shut down that year. I love the enthusiasm from Giles fans and getting behind a team that is borderline 1A. Yall keep producing great teams with that single wing and won many titles with it. Yall still get behind this team with some resilience. I did see a drop off in attendance in last game and that is expected with a team that took the hits yall did this season.

You seem to be a humble dude and i would buy you a meal if i could ( and ya pops). I work with a guy from Giles and I met Hunter Epplesley from 2013 team. Both great and humble guys. I just congratulated Hunter for his gig with VT.

Hunter is a real great guy. And I appreciate the kind words, we will forever have our own opinions on the horn. I’m sure we will cross paths at some point! I never miss a state game so if Appo makes it maybe then we will! I have a good feeling about Giles the next few years and we have some great little league teams right now. I hope we never have to drop to 1A but it may happen if we do not consolidate with Narrows soon which I hope happens. The fact that we couldn’t even produce an 8th grade team for the first time ever this year has me real worried.

Appo will not control the line of scrimmage nor will they get to bring their officiating crew. But I still say they win on Glenvar lack of Offense

Not sure what you mean their own officiating crew as Appo had more penalties than Giles did. Do you not remember the lopsided calls back in 2013, that was what you call home cooking. If I remember correctly 10 penalties to none in favor of Giles and we lost a very close game. While we are talking about officiating, Appo saw alot of suspect calls last yr, Glenvar being one of those places as a FG that was good but the refs saw it differently. The camera from ABC 13 directly behind the goal doesn't lie though. My point is bad calls are part of the game unfortunately. Excited about Friday as it will be close one and will take the Raiders best effort and maybe a little luck with the way the ball bounces.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean their own officiating crew as Appo had more penalties than Giles did. Do you not remember the lopsided calls back in 2013, that was what you call home cooking. If I remember correctly 10 penalties to none in favor of Giles and we lost a very close game. While we are talking about officiating, Appo saw alot of suspect calls last yr, Glenvar being one of those places as a FG that was good but the refs saw it differently. The camera from ABC 13 directly behind the goal doesn't lie though. My point is bad calls are part of the game unfortunately. Excited about Friday as it will be close one and will take the Raiders best effort and maybe a little luck with the way the ball bounces.
Part of the problem with officiating is that some areas call things a little differently than others so when a team travels, it may seem like home cooking but it really isn't. It's just the way that particular area of the state interprets the rules. Good teams adjust to that so I'm sure Appo will adjust. Here is hoping for a great game and no controversial calls that affect the outcome of the game.

Rooting on the waves? WTF?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT