ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox/Dan River

It should be best 2A game in the state this season. I was planning on attending, but I have to leave for DC area around noon on Friday. Hopefully someone will post updates during game on this message board.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Dont know if you are on Twitter, but the @ACHS_Raiders account is solid with updates. Or the Facebook fan page (Appomattox Raiders Football)

Just my opinion but think Dan River going bite off more than they can chew. Havent played the competition Appomattox has. At least now can see how Dan River stacks up to top 2A team.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
i saw film on DR. i say the only way yall beat appo is a ground and pound up middle and keeping us from scoring on your D.
That passing game is suspect. QB just throw ball up deep and expects WR to go and get it. well that wont happen vs Appo. Ball will be going other way. we got 3 state qualified high jumpers at CB and Safety. they got a lot of short routes and bubbles. i see us jumping a few of them routes for a easy score. i dont see much running yards on swings ,we too fast on edges.

Heritage "threw ball up for grabs" 2X successfully I think.

Appomattox does have one huge edge which I cannot post on here.
yes that is true HR6. that was because they put 5'7" phil fleshman on 6'3" Snead on that jump ball. phil is a RB, not a true CB. He was in because Graves was hurt early. Now the other one? Come on man? #25 Dareal Jackson tripped and he is a comeback player from 2 years ago. He tripped up on play and let player get in front. i say that was an INT if he didnt trip. QB threw short. Another thing, #18 Ryan Jackson is out there now and nobody out jumping him. I see DR running ball a lot and then getting frustrated and throwing some INTs like clarke county in state game.

I out of town but I hear it's been pouring rain for several hours. They should move game to Monday.

It was one of those games where you have to go home and wring out your drawers! Rain was on and off but it came down pretty heavy at times.

Ball was slippery and it showed tonight, a few fumbles, bad snaps and one bad miscue to our punter put Appomattox way back but a solid goaline stand stopped the drive by Dan River.

It was a good close game with the decision probably coming down to whoever recovered an onside kick by DR.

Pretty good crowd for the rain conditions. A long ride for us Raiders but the faithful showed up to cheer on the guys.

It was one of those games where you have to go home and wring out your drawers! Rain was on and off but it came down pretty heavy at times.

Ball was slippery and it showed tonight, a few fumbles, bad snaps and one bad miscue to our punter put Appomattox way back but a solid goaline stand stopped the drive by Dan River.

It was a good close game with the decision probably coming down to whoever recovered an onside kick by DR.

Pretty good crowd for the rain conditions. A long ride for us Raiders but the faithful showed up to cheer on the guys.
I agree OldSchoolRaider. Appo wanted it more. Dan River had very predictable play calling. It was down right atrocious at times.

I tried calling you DSH. You didnt answer, I got there late because my wife wanted to go in the last minute so I had to wait around for her. I got there and missed that first DR drive.
Dang bro I had my phone in my pocket cause I didn't want to get it wet. I didn't have any service out in them sticks so that's probably why I didn't get it. I sat at about 40 yard line on y'alls side.

Any update on Graves? Was it the result of that mid-air collision?

ETA: Update on De'Von: "De'Von is doing well. He was dehydrated after a tough game." - His father Jim Graves

from the Raiders FB page

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a great game between two great teams. I sure would like to get to see these teams play. Glad to hear the young man from Appomattox is doing well. Going to be some good football in 2A West this season come playoff time....the teams at the top are for real this year.....

There's another photo out there showing some Dan River players disrespecting the national anthem. Have they been removed from the team yet?
It's pretty sad Clarke. I doubt it. I'm told they can't remove them because it infringes on their first amendment right so there probably won't be any disciplinary action. I know a coach on that staff that's an Air Force veteran. Hopefully he teaches them the importance of standing and respecting the flag.

It's pretty sad Clarke. I doubt it. I'm told they can't remove them because it infringes on their first amendment right so there probably won't be any disciplinary action. I know a coach on that staff that's an Air Force veteran. Hopefully he teaches them the importance of standing and respecting the flag.

It's a sad day when children disrespect the national anthem and a coach who is a veteran didn't yank them off the field and have them turn in their uniforms right then and there. They are part of a team, not an individual out there. They disrespected the team. They shouldn't be on the team anymore. Being a part of a team is a privilege, not a right.

It's a sad day when children disrespect the national anthem and a coach who is a veteran didn't yank them off the field and have them turn in their uniforms right then and there. They are part of a team, not an individual out there. They disrespected the team. They shouldn't be on the team anymore. Being a part of a team is a privilege, not a right.

I am not a fan of people doing these things, but they do have the right to do so under the constitution. What excuse could a team use to get rid of them without a fuss being made? Anyone has the right to feel the way they feel about something. I would be willing to bet that if a kid were removed from a team anywhere in this country for this reason, whether right or wrong some kind of lawsuit would be filed. I don't agree with it, and have nothing to do with either team, but I don't think its just as easy as remove them for their "stance".

I am not a fan of people doing these things, but they do have the right to do so under the constitution. What excuse could a team use to get rid of them without a fuss being made? Anyone has the right to feel the way they feel about something. I would be willing to bet that if a kid were removed from a team anywhere in this country for this reason, whether right or wrong some kind of lawsuit would be filed. I don't agree with it, and have nothing to do with either team, but I don't think its just as easy as remove them for their "stance".

Again, being part of a team is a privilege, not a right. Disrespect has no place on a team. Ignoring these little childish acts only emboldens them. Actions have consequences, and children these days are not learning that by being allowed to be disrespectful without consequences.

Again, being part of a team is a privilege, not a right. Disrespect has no place on a team. Ignoring these little childish acts only emboldens them. Actions have consequences, and children these days are not learning that by being allowed to be disrespectful without consequences.

You are missing my point my man. My point is that IF a school tried to get rid of someone who did this, then things would get really hairy and you would be hearing about this all over the country and people saying they are being disrespected because of their view. I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, I am proud to be an american and will always stand for the anthem as long as I am able to stand. But what I believe would happen in this country if someone got thrown off a team for this would be negative consequences and would have even more doing it and I certainly don't want to see that. Anyone doing this shouldn't get the attention they are after, and I would imagine that lots of the ones that are doing this are doing it for the attention, not for the same reason others are doing it.

You are missing my point my man. My point is that IF a school tried to get rid of someone who did this, then things would get really hairy and you would be hearing about this all over the country and people saying they are being disrespected because of their view. I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, I am proud to be an american and will always stand for the anthem as long as I am able to stand. But what I believe would happen in this country if someone got thrown off a team for this would be negative consequences and would have even more doing it and I certainly don't want to see that. Anyone doing this shouldn't get the attention they are after, and I would imagine that lots of the ones that are doing this are doing it for the attention, not for the same reason others are doing it.
A coach certainly has the right to sit their disrespectful butts on the bench. To bad they don't have parents that can teach them right from wrong. If it was my kid no coach would need to step in....I would have dragged their butt off the field myself.

I agree that a coach has that right to sit them, but that is different than kicking them off team. I think everyone in America should stand for the anthem because of what the flag and anthem stands for, so please don't misinterpret me, I am saying if someone were kicked off a team because of it then it will be taken further and have negative consequences and give people doing this and ones in favor of it what they want. I don't want to see that

I agree that a coach has that right to sit them, but that is different than kicking them off team. I think everyone in America should stand for the anthem because of what the flag and anthem stands for, so please don't misinterpret me, I am saying if someone were kicked off a team because of it then it will be taken further and have negative consequences and give people doing this and ones in favor of it what they want. I don't want to see that
But why could they take it further for being kicked off the team? Being on the team is a privilege, not a right.

BTW, I have the picture, I just choose not to post it because the names of the children who did this are in the posting, and I don't wish to give them any publicity.

Reactions: KarenB913
This is a pretty sensitive topic that I think we should move away from on this forum. There are many other places to have these discussions.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
But why could they take it further for being kicked off the team? Being on the team is a privilege, not a right.

BTW, I have the picture, I just choose not to post it because the names of the children who did this are in the posting, and I don't wish to give them any publicity.

Because what I think would happen is hearing I got removed from team for my 1st amendment right. Then you have the negative reaction to it and it causes it to be national news. Try to explain to the kids who are doing this that it is wrong for the reasons that have been stated and it will cause a distraction for everyone.

Reactions: Union_Fan
FYI, I know for a fact that attorneys for school districts are sending emails to ADs and coaches notifying them that they cannot discipline an athlete strictly for "disrespecting" the National Anthem. The school system would then be facing a lawsuit. So it's easy to come on here and say what a coach should or shouldn't do to a player, but legally, we have no grounds to stand on for disciplining them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT