ADVERTISEMENT

Armstrong v Brentsville

In a Region championship game with the offense already pushed back in their own zone(6yd line). The hold has to be egregious to make that call. Ticky tack calls take the game out the kids hands.
The decision to take a safety was bad because they kick off from the 20yd and a 5 pt game. Gotta risk the punt, if they score you go to OT… great season Armstrong!
Your right. In the 4th Q ahead 28-21 to take a deliberate safety and push the lead to under 7 points was a big error. That would be ok only if under a minute to play. Does anyone know how much time was left when the safety was done?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Your right. In the 4th Q ahead 28-21 to take a deliberate safety and push the lead to under 7 points was a big error. That would be ok only if under a minute to play. Does anyone know how much time was left when the safety was done?
Yes I saw the game… over 2 minutes left when they took the safety. I was purplexed

I went back and forth in my head as I watched it. First I thought it was a bad idea for the safety. But then they got a really good free kick, and Brentsville had not been able to move the ball at all in the second half, so I understood the decision. But then Brentsville was able to move the ball, slowly but surely to just make it in the last seconds.

If you really want to be critical, I would say why didn't Armstrong just run the ball every snap of that possession and force time off the clock or Brentsville to use timeouts, and then you still have the punt/safety decision to make, but from a more advantageous clock position.

But when it comes down to it, Brentsville played well without their starting qb, and Armstrong played well without their coach. And while Brentsville did get a lot of crucial calls from the refs, I can't criticize the refs when my view is from a single NFHS camera.

I went back and forth in my head as I watched it. First I thought it was a bad idea for the safety. But then they got a really good free kick, and Brentsville had not been able to move the ball at all in the second half, so I understood the decision. But then Brentsville was able to move the ball, slowly but surely to just make it in the last seconds.

If you really want to be critical, I would say why didn't Armstrong just run the ball every snap of that possession and force time off the clock or Brentsville to use timeouts, and then you still have the punt/safety decision to make, but from a more advantageous clock position.

But when it comes down to it, Brentsville played well without their starting qb, and Armstrong played well without their coach. And while Brentsville did get a lot of crucial calls from the refs, I can't criticize the refs when my view is from a single NFHS camera.
Agreed and well said

Well, in public I don’t think coaches should engage in friendly trash talk and especially not on any online platform. This is all my personal opinion btw. Since they are friends as you pointed out it would better and smarter to keep that conversation private and not allow a “Politically Correct Karen” to invade their privacy and become offended. You see, I, as a fan and sometime freelance journalist, feel that I am safe to not care if someone is offended if I say, for example, “The Warhill Lions might not be more of a threat to the Phoebus Phantoms than the Heritage Hurricanes were to the Hampton Crabbers due to the numbers 29 snd 30.” That‘s simple, friendly trash talk that also serves to confuse the reader. 😃
Exactly. Coaches should’ve known better and texted their trash talking to each other but then, their team and fans wouldn’t see it. Bad judgement by them.

That was an incredible game and broadcast. Armstrong got jobbed in my opinion the touchback fumble call I didn’t like at all. The other TD called back maybe was a hold. I didn’t like the decision to take a safety either. Just line up and if they score go in OT. Armstrong took that game over in the 2nd half though and they played so well. I was worried they would be overpowered but they really showed me something and just kept getting after it. They were playing sandlot football out there and it was working well. Congrats to Brentsville on 3 straight regional titles. They showed a lot of love to the Armstrong kids after the game and rightfully so. Although it was unfortunate for Armstrong there was no conspiracy or ill will just wasn’t meant to be this time.
After seeing the video there were two monumental calls that were blown. The 94 yrd TD pass there was no hold and then an offense PI call negated a 50+ yard ball. Life isn't always fair and unfortunately those kids at Armstrong likley have learned that lesson many a times off the field. Would have been nice if it would have been no controversy on the field. Again, I don't think it was a conspiracy or anything. Just unfortunate. Ultimately I think Lafayette and LCA roll this week and meet in the finals. I think LCA is just a level up, that tailback they have is a power 5 prospect an an absolute load to bring down. Phenominal effort by Armstrong all year. They just got better and better each week and with each week that inner belief grew. Well done!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT