ADVERTISEMENT

Battlefield District

Courtland played a huge 6A Mt. View team with a couple D-1 signees on thier roster. Final was 7-0 Mt.View after 10 plays per session for each offense for four quarter game. Mt. View ran a spread with alot of QB runs instead of handibg off to RB. QB early in contest broke one for a 30 yard yard score, they also hit on a couole short passes that did not go anywhere. Cougars made a couple adjustments and began saking the QB and stuffing the run. Coutrland has a massive D-line this year that will be a strength, also to note 4 starters did not play due to minor bumps and bruises.
One of those was our 6' 220 LB. Courtland has young running backs and a young but solid QB. The offensive line has very good size, one of the biggest in recent years. Mt. View has an outstanding defense and was takibg it to Courtland early on, but JC changed things up and they moving the ball very good. We actually through about 7-8 passes completibg half and just missed on a seem route that just went off fingertips fir an easy 6. Cougars caused 3 fumbles and had 2 interceptions. Courtland fumbled once and threw one interception that, well was just and ugly terrible pass . Overall, it was good scrimmage, got out injury free. We are at Culpeper next week. Courtland JV team is honestly loaded and carrying 42 players. The Freshman RB we have is going to be special, would not rule out him getting up to varsity, biggest and most talented JV squad in 15 years! I am predicting varsity at 8-2 or possibly 7-3 if they slip up. 9-1 not out of the question, but young RB's need to grow up and QB play will need to be above average. Got to change up plays at times and not be so predictable, but agian its Courtland and the wing T.

Mountain View moved out of Class 5 into Class 6? Wasn’t aware.

Could be wrong, thought they are 6 , ponax moved up to 6 this year, my bad?
They dominated the scrimmage besides a few nice plays from Courtland middle backer. Battlefield seems to be as wide open as ever between EV Spotsy Chancellor And Courtland. I have heard James Monroe has a ton of trasngers.

Won't be surprised right out of the gate that Chancellor makes huge statement vs Ponax and the rest of the Battlefield just chews each other up for the next 9 games. They have the Thunder and lightning backfield(Scott over 240lbs now and Carruthers is the defending 4a 55m champ). The biggest benefactor will be their QB who will see defenses just concede any legitimate pass defense, creating a ton of easy throws and wide open run lanes for himself. Won't take long for the district to see how those two RB's will make life easy for the rest of the team as their line is solid and they really didn't lose any helpful talent to graduation or transfer. Didn't say it was gonna happen, but just stating why it could.

Reactions: mbonape1
Won't be surprised right out of the gate that Chancellor makes huge statement vs Ponax and the rest of the Battlefield just chews each other up for the next 9 games. They have the Thunder and lightning backfield(Scott over 240lbs now and Carruthers is the defending 4a 55m champ). The biggest benefactor will be their QB who will see defenses just concede any legitimate pass defense, creating a ton of easy throws and wide open run lanes for himself. Won't take long for the district to see how those two RB's will make life easy for the rest of the team as their line is solid and they really didn't lose any helpful talent to graduation or transfer. Didn't say it was gonna happen, but just stating why it could.
I agree they’ll be much improved this year. Their OL isn’t elite like Eastern View or Spotsy but their backfield is. Going to be a fun year in the battlefield.

EV had a running clock against all district teams last year except Courtland (42-13). So are all the teams a lot better this year, or is EV going backwards?

EV had a running clock against all district teams last year except Courtland (42-13). So are all the teams a lot better this year, or is EV going backwards?
EV is still on top until someone can beat them or keep the clock from running. Same goes for Courtland in the 2 spot. My guess from seeing Courtland and Spotsy scrimmages and hearing about EV and others.
Eastern View tops
Courtland & Spotsylvania next
Chancellor JM after
The rest

I think the field is much better this year to answer your question. Spotsy has a big OL and a stable of backs, Courtland has an old Courtland defense, Chancellor as mentioned above has great skill and JM was loaded with transfers who all have speed. It *should* be more competitive than it has been the past two seasons.

I was at the Madison, Spotsylvania, orange scrimmage game. I did not have the same reaction to Spotsylvania as you do. They looked good but not,in my opinion, close to Eastern View.

I was at the Madison, Spotsylvania, orange scrimmage game. I did not have the same reaction to Spotsylvania as you do. They looked good but not,in my opinion, close to Eastern View.
That’s why I had them in the second tier with Courtland. It’s Eastern View’s district until someone can knock them off.

I figured it would be more wide open this year with EV losing alot, Courtland losing Zin, and Spotsy returning a team that has a taste of what it takes! Should be a really fun year in the Battlefield! I was able to catch the EV/Kettle Run scrimmage and here are my thoughts after watching most of the game.

1.Eastern View is SMALL!!! 2.Eastern View lost a lot! But the QB seemed like a seasoned QB back there! Calm, cool, collected, he was very fun to watch! Definitely did not seem like a first year starter. 3.Defense was small but flew around and were very physical. 4.Time will tell but EV may have taken a little step back from last year but as I said TIME WILL TELL.

A few more scrimmages tonight then the reak thing starts next week!!

I figured it would be more wide open this year with EV losing alot, Courtland losing Zin, and Spotsy returning a team that has a taste of what it takes! Should be a really fun year in the Battlefield! I was able to catch the EV/Kettle Run scrimmage and here are my thoughts after watching most of the game.

1.Eastern View is SMALL!!! 2.Eastern View lost a lot! But the QB seemed like a seasoned QB back there! Calm, cool, collected, he was very fun to watch! Definitely did not seem like a first year starter. 3.Defense was small but flew around and were very physical. 4.Time will tell but EV may have taken a little step back from last year but as I said TIME WILL TELL.

When you say EV is small, I'm assuming you're only referring to the defense? O-line looked pretty big to me.

With regards to previous EV O-Lines and Kettle Runs Offenseive and Defensive line. They were definitely the smaller lineman on both sides of the ball yesterday.

Heard EV list all state D lineman Stallings to private school for Seinor year, big loss for defense at 6-2 300 lbs a big loss! EV, will step back, but hiw much? Everyone catching up.

Butler is not a typical first year starter. From what I have heard from multiple EV sideline folks, he had the inside track on the position until he broke his collarbone as a sophomore. I know he is an all-state catcher for EV baseball. Catcher's are smart and have good arms...I'm obviously biased towards catchers :) . Butler does not run as well as last years QB but is a better passer/game manager. Wishing him a healthy season for once.

Freelance star had a short story in Thusdays paper citing him and a couple other area players that transferred out to private shools for this year?

Ru
Butler is not a typical first year starter. From what I have heard from multiple EV sideline folks, he had the inside track on the position until he broke his collarbone as a sophomore. I know he is an all-state catcher for EV baseball. Catcher's are smart and have good arms...I'm obviously biased towards catchers :) . Butler does not run as well as last years QB but is a better passer/game manager. Wishing him a healthy season for once.
Right, he’s never gonna take it 80 yards like the previous qb, but he might be better at getting a 3rd/4th and 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Spotsylvania needs to be in everyone’s sight. That EV/Spotsy game could come down to two undefeated teams locking horns.

Spotsylvania needs to be in everyone’s sight. That EV/Spotsy game could come down to two undefeated teams locking horns.
We will know more after this week. They weren’t nearly as impressive in Friday’s scrimmage. Eastern View still looks to be in a class of their own.

Reactions: OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT