ADVERTISEMENT

Best Since 2013 Not To Win State Title

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 1.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Patrick Henry (Glade Spring) 69% Win Pct. with a record of 90-39
Narrows - 62% Win Pct. with a record of 74-45
Northumberland - 57% Win Pct. with a record of 66-48
West Point - 54% Win Pct. with a record of 64-54

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Honaker - 59% Win Pct. with a record of 73-50, 0-2 in State Finals
Brunswick - 52% Win Pct. with a record of 59-53, 0-1 in State Finals
Northampton - 36% Win Pct. with a record of 40-69, 0-1 in State Finals
Eastern Montgomery - 23% Win Pct. with a record of 26-84, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 1 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?

Reactions: offmylawn
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 1.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Patrick Henry (Glade Spring) 69% Win Pct. with a record of 90-39
Narrows - 62% Win Pct. with a record of 74-45
Northumberland - 57% Win Pct. with a record of 66-48
West Point - 54% Win Pct. with a record of 64-54

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Honaker - 59% Win Pct. with a record of 73-50, 0-2 in State Finals
Brunswick - 52% Win Pct. with a record of 59-53, 0-1 in State Finals
Northampton - 36% Win Pct. with a record of 40-69, 0-1 in State Finals
Eastern Montgomery - 23% Win Pct. with a record of 26-84, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 1 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?
Northampton hasn't even wom a playoff game in the last 11 years. The last time I even remember them in the state championship was 1995

Again are you talking about the best program to not win the title because you hint at overall programs in the body of your message, but in your title you write the word "team." If you are talking about the best individual team for one given year which has not won a title since 2013, I vote for Chilhowie 2018 which was a team good enough to win it on most years but ran into Riverheads the second straight year. That was a very good chilhowie team

Again are you talking about the best program to not win the title because you hint at overall programs in the body of your message, but in your title you write the word "team." If you are talking about the best individual team for one given year which has not won a title since 2013, I vote forShou Chilhowie 2018 which was a team good enough to win it on most years but ran into Riverheads the second straight year. That was a very good chilhowie team
Should have termed it as program, not team.

Should have termed it as program, not team.
I see. Then easily, it's the team not on the two lists above which is Sussex Central. I have them at 81 and 39 according to Maxpreps which puts them at abut 67.5 % and they have had some close battles with Essex and those close battles eith Essex teams trumps Patrick Henry's 69 percent wins. As an overall 1A program who hasn't won a title since 2013, I think it's easily Sussex Central. Maxpreps is surely off a few games, but the win percentage for Sussex will be in the 67 to 68 percent area.

Essex would fall into the category of having a Final appearance but not a state title (last was 2009), but with a record of 112W-25L since 2013 that gives them a win percentage of 81.75%

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@CRF4Dan wait a second.. Essex hasn’t won a title since 09? Noooo way?
Sounds crazy but it’s true. In 2012 we fell to Goochland in the championship and 2013 & 14 we fell to Altavista in the championship. In 2015 we fell to Galax in state semi. The rest of the teens-20’s we fell in 5 state semi’s to Riverheads. One season we didn’t play in the spring when Covid was about. And last season we fell to Galax in the championship.

• Wow
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Sounds crazy but it’s true. In 2012 we fell to Goochland in the championship and 2013 & 14 we fell to Altavista in the championship. In 2015 we fell to Galax in state semi. The rest of the teens-20’s we fell in 5 state semi’s to Riverheads. One season we didn’t play in the spring when Covid was about. And last season we fell to Galax in the championship.
With the abundance of young talent you have, championships will be plentiful in Tappahannock in the next few years.

Essex is very talented and plays great defense. I said this after title game as a fair criticism in my opinion of their offense. Their offense is too plain and not nearly enough diversity or misdirection/open field stuff, not enough one on one situations created in space with the athleticism they have on the roster, and just way too much stuff between the tackles instead of outside of the tackles. I am not saying Essex is a bad coached team by any means. I am saying that their offense needs more work and I think the critique is fair.

Seems fair. Coach is a proven winner, so the question remains can they become offensively diverse enough to win it all in December. I wonder if the thought is that they can win without that and try to emulate a Riverheads or a Salem in their offensive approach.

Seems fair. Coach is a proven winner, so the question remains can they become offensively diverse enough to win it all in December. I wonder if the thought is that they can win without that and try to emulate a Riverheads or a Salem in their offensive approach.
It's possible for sure because Essex has a great program. Riverheads has their kids in little league running the same offense so for them, the advantage is having a kid enter 9th grade and the plays and blocking schemes are pure muscle memory at that point.

If you watch Galax vs Graham, check out what Graham does to them. They spread em out and use their speed and Graham often runs out of a wide open set. Just because they have 3 or 4 wide doesn't mean automatic pass, but a simple off tackle dive which forces Galax to not have 7 or 8 in the box which plays to their advantage. Now granted, Graham is Graham and has great talent.

I would love to see Essex use more wide open formations and still, be conservative on O and run the ball as much as now, but do it from a wide formation which maximizes their speed because as soon as the line of scrimmage is broke, an Essex back would often find himself in a one on one situation and Essex is going to win that battle 9 out of 10 times.

My preseason pick to win the Class 1 title this year is Essex. Great program, great athletes and overall, very well coached

Reactions: WP02alum
Essex started running the spread in 2004 and ran that until Coach Jones left the first time. Since then theyve ran a variety of offenses, setting multiple records along the way. I agree Essex needs to get back to getting the ball to athletes in space.

I think the reason Essex ran the double wing offense last year is because it fit the personnel they had. It could be the same thing this year. Last year's QB was a converted lineman. He's a very tough runner, and the power run game suits his style of play and build. Also, it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Essex leading rusher got hurt in the first playoff game last year and was lost for the season. I think for the team they have now, what they're running now fits them. I've seen many teams with athletes line up in a spread, but don't have the QB to get them the ball on a consistent basis, or when they face stiff competition, the QB is overwhelmed by the blitz. Even if they lineup in spread and run more than pass, if the defense isn't going to respect the pass, it's not gonna matter anyways. If Essex had of won the state championship instead of losing in one of the weirdest ways ever, the talk would have been on Galax and their lack of offense and not Essex. Lol. With just about everyone returning from last season, I expect Essex to run the same offense as last year, but this time bring home the hardware.

I think the reason Essex ran the double wing offense last year is because it fit the personnel they had. It could be the same thing this year. Last year's QB was a converted lineman. He's a very tough runner, and the power run game suits his style of play and build. Also, it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Essex leading rusher got hurt in the first playoff game last year and was lost for the season. I think for the team they have now, what they're running now fits them. I've seen many teams with athletes line up in a spread, but don't have the QB to get them the ball on a consistent basis, or when they face stiff competition, the QB is overwhelmed by the blitz. Even if they lineup in spread and run more than pass, if the defense isn't going to respect the pass, it's not gonna matter anyways. If Essex had of won the state championship instead of losing in one of the weirdest ways ever, the talk would have been on Galax and their lack of offense and not Essex. Lol. With just about everyone returning from last season, I expect Essex to run the same offense as last year, but this time bring home the hardware.

I feel your remarks ae spot on, especiallythe one about talking abou galax more than Esssx If tfe trojans had won that game. Remember, Essex actually outgained Galax in total yards Essex's offensive line was proficient at run blocking but n0t so much at pass blockng. I also heard they have a different QB this year, but tht may be a falsehood. Gonna be interesting because I thik all teams on Essex's schedule are gonna better this fall. Lancaster added the Sussex coach to their staff and that can only be an improvement for that progradm. There one two team in the region that may be worse than last year and, yes, Esse is the pre-season favorite.

I feel your remarks ae spot on, especiallythe one about talking abou galax more than Esssx If tfe trojans had won that game. Remember, Essex actually outgained Galax in total yards Essex's offensive line was proficient at run blocking but n0t so much at pass blockng. I also heard they have a different QB this year, but tht may be a falsehood. Gonna be interesting because I thik all teams on Essex's schedule are gonna better this fall. Lancaster added the Sussex coach to their staff and that can only be an improvement for that progradm. There one two team in the region that may be worse than last year and, yes, Esse is the pre-season favorite.
I didn't know that Coach Jefferson was now at Lancaster. He will be a great addition to that staff.

IMO Essex would be lead this list since they have been the most consistent over that time frame.

Truth be told Essex and Galax should hate Riverheads equally. Obviously with Galax getting the job done in '15 with that amazing team they have won but could have had several more including the Covid spring season.

As for who will get it done in '24, Essex has to be at the top of list. My personal opinion is we will see a good GW team this season with a shot to compete in December as well. And if history is any indication there will be a few surprise teams that present roadblocks to the perceived better teams in each region.

Good luck to all as we prepare for another opportunity to cheer on the boys of fall......

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Lancaster is the cradle of former head football coaches!
Principal Mike Myers former head coach at Northumberland and Middlesex
Assistant Principal Don Burd former Lancaster head coach and somewhere in Georgia I do believe
Athletic Director Chuck Parrish former Windsor head coach
Staff member Paul White former head coach at Mathews (two stints), Gloucester and Jefferson Forest
Staff member Curtis Jefferson former head coach at Sussex Central
Heck, former Lancaster head coach Damien Chrissie is still in the Lancaster School System!

After seeing a few games last year from Essex, I remember talking to a couple of my friends and telling them that Essex needed to develope some sort of a passing game come post season to help with the run. I think jv had an ok QB as well as a couple receivers. I’m looking forward to seeing the 2024 Trojans.

Hey kwhs95fan…I’ll give you a call this coming week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT