ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS: East Championship - Madison County (59) RE Lee Staunton (57) - FINAL

Madison County is very disciplined. Lee was not. A team with that kind of size and talent should not lose very often. And from what I saw during the game and especially afterwards, the lack of discipline starts at the top.

Good luck to the Mountaineers. Very few gave them much of a chance but here you are, East Region Champs! Now go out and win it all!

Madison County is very disciplined. Lee was not. A team with that kind of size and talent should not lose very often. And from what I saw during the game and especially afterwards, the lack of discipline starts at the top.

Good luck to the Mountaineers. Very few gave them much of a chance but here you are, East Region Champs! Now go out and win it all!

I am not going to blame the officiating in the outcome of this game but...it was terrible on both sides. Lee's Vaughan never should have fouled out and the fouls on both sides were questionable to say the least. I don't like when officials try to control the outcome of a game....sometimes they need to put the whistles away and let the kids decide the game. Again...both sides struggled with the inconsistent officiating last night.

Lee had a bad night shooting the ball against a very good Madison team and lost by 2 points. Lee shot 19-65 from the floor and 17-29 at the line and had 18 turnovers. All that and lost by 2 points and had the lead with 2 minutes left. Lee didn't lack discipline as much as they shot poorly. The officiating limited Lee's options and in the end Madison won a physical and ugly game. I think Madison may have had the best guard combination Lee has see this season. They were extremely quick, could handle the ball, and get to the rim.

I think Madison County deserves the credit for this win more than any lack of Lee discipline. Both are very good and could meet again. Lee's road will be tougher in my opinion. Good luck to both in the Big Dance next week.

I respect Lee's program very, very much. They have a tremendously talented team. The lack of discipline starts in a suit on the sideline and that is all I will say on the matter.

The officials made a lot of calls for sure but there was a LOT of fouls. That is just the way the game went. Madison has an uncanny ability of adapting to the flow of a particular game. They can certainly run and gun, play half court, etc. It is indicative of the coaching staff. Coaches Breeden, Rhoades, Falk, Smith seldom get flustered or overly emotional on the sidelines. Their "coolness under pressure" seems to permeate the players. I think they are the best staff in 2A, IMHO.

As a Marshall alum, I was excited to see a future Thundering Herd member.

Last edited:
Leemen .. you there or reading what Hatcher said in the paper/twitter/social media? Lee lost and he pinned it on the officials. You get to this point you have to just get it done. If it was bad both ways as you mentioned .. then Madison won because they adjusted. The officiating limited Lee's options ??really?? what happened to learning how the game is called and playing that way? I saw the pict of Vaughn's 5th foul .. what happened before that space? Watching games I see so many times players bat at the ball then put their hands straight up and go WHO ME?? AT ALL LEVELS.

Maynard did it last week for Western. They lost to Spotswood with Shenandoah Officials and he said "we weren't allowed to win". ??really??. Then they lost to Northside with Roanoke officials .. he got T'd then his bench got T'd and it was the officials fault they lost.

You can't address the younger hatcher with Leemen. He has blinders on being 'so close' to the situation. Talking to people from over in Staunton, he got the job because of his dad. And maybe rightly so. Give him a chance I guess. But he keeps the job because there isn't anyone in the staunton district making decisions who knows anything about coaching or sports. The athletic director included. A 500 record going in to this year and pinning everything on this year. They lose everything after this year. Vaughn is a good compliment. But mark more words he can't carry a team. Jv was horrible and even less disciplined then the varsity(know that's hard to believe). And the word around the area is coaches want the younger hatcher to stay. They are afraid what a good coach might be able to do with the talent if hatcher wasn't there. There actually might be some discipline or hold your breathe, something that looks like an offense.

If you bothered to read my post you would see I clearly stated...the officiating wasn't good on either side. For those who don't know what that means...it means Madison as well. I said the officiating was terrible last night...it was in my opinion. I never stated that I thought the game was decided by officiating alone. The refs should not decide I ball game...bottom line! Too many officials want to be in the spotlight and that isn't the way it should be. Now...once again they were bad both ways as I clearly stated.

Hatcher is supposed to do what? I mean in all honesty he has done a pretty good job all things considered. I didn't agree with his decision to leave Vaughan in with 2 fouls in the last minute of the half....so there is some criticism for you.

Paul Hatcher was 11-10 in his first year and didn't win his first state title until 1984. That was 17 years after he started. This nonsense of Lee losing a game to a very good Madison County team and...throwing the coach under the bus is unreal to me. It's really no different than blaming the officials.

As far as everyone says this and that...I hear that stuff in the stands too. In the stands being the key. Lee fans are spoiled and have been for a long time. I am proud of the tradition and powerhouse status of Lee basketball...and it stinks when they don't get to the state or win it all. I've learned to expect that not every year is going to be great. Lee went 15-11 last season and came within one win of a state tourney. They played a very difficult schedule and still had a good season. Now...I suppose 15-11 is not a typical Lee season...but ask any other team that is not a traditional power like Lee...if they'd take that. Most teams would say yes.

Lastly....most of you are fine and quiet when Lee is winning. When they lose a game or two...the world is falling. We are all used to Lee winning and guess what? They are one of 8 teams still alive for a state title. I bet Gate City as good as they are...surely aren't thrilled that they have to prepare for Lee this week.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Easy Leemen. You can't tell us when to post or what to post unless you want to listen. Lee wins a couple in a row versus 11-14 teams and you come on saying things that people refute when you lose to a good team, and you get angry. None of us are coaches(well most of us, wink wink) it's all for fun. Just opinions and observations. Just like yours. I love how you support your school. I love how you defend your school. But you can't live in the past. The streak is over. The rings are dusty. It's all about the here and now. You keep talking about how another school would love a 15-11 season. SO WHAT!!! Lee is not another school. Lee has the talent to win the state championship and should. I still think they will. But if they don't it's because of one thing. The coach. Plain and simple. And everyone except you and/or the coach knows it.

Leemen your new screen name should be Teflon .. bounce everything back. Leemen "I dont like when officials try and control an outcome""The officiating limited Lee's options" .. man that sounds like blaming officials to me. We have tangled before and if that was reversed you would have said bottom line is Madison should have adjusted;) Good luck to Lee. McClung will be the best player they have seen. Hopefully the officials can call a game that doesnt limit Lee's options:eek:

I feel what you guys are saying, especially when it comes to coaching. I'm sure everyone on this thread knows whom I follow, so no need to mention my high school name. Coaching is a very big part of winning, from preparation to the execution of execution. I'm not thrilled on how my team's coach coaches at times. I guess ya have to take the good with the bad when it comes to coaching.

Only sometimes there is no good with the coaching then you just have to take the bad, and I'm not talking about any of the teams still playing, but you can likely guess who.

Reactions: AntGZee
I was just saying that officials do at times try to control a game....to the point of affecting the outcome. Now...do I think they were overboard last night? I do...but it was on both sides. If Madison would have lost that game...then their fans would have felt the same way. I am not to be clear...blaming the officiating for Lee's loss. Lee shot horribly, turned the ball over, and missed 12 free throws. That is what ultimately cost them the game. Also....Madison is a very good team. I enjoy the back and forth with you all on here...and different opinions are nice. Who wants to talk about basketball...if we all think the same thing.

Lee has a tough road to the title now though...should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
GC and Lee will have their work cut out for them if they make it. They managed to land in the toughest stretch of the bracket.

@DSH...they press a lot, especially if a team shows it disrupts their flow. Smith/Swink is a very, very good guard tandem.

@leemen...I would not argue X's and O's. All coaches have different philosophies and styles. That is subjective. What I found disturbing was the coach APPLAUDING one of his players for openly cursing/gesturing toward the crowd after he fouled out... and all this took place from the bench...Then not staying on the court to accept the runner up trophy...after a very awkward minute or two, an assistant and a couple of reserves appeared from the tunnel to take the trophy...then the coach appeared on the court asking one of the cops on site to remove someone during the championship trophy presentation... The cop asked who and he said "somebody"...the cop shrugged him off...the coach was lost and looking for excuses. I was actually embarrassed for Lee at his antics. Coaches should teach more than X's and O's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT