Bradley Dean 9 Andrew Sharpe 1 Mac McClung 13 Zac Ervin 4

Halftime GC 40 - Wise Central 37

Bradley Dean 14 Andrew Sharpe 1 Mac McClung 21 Zac Ervin 4

End of 3rd qtr GC 64 - Wise Central 55

Bradley Dean 18 Andrew Sharpe 3 Mac McClung 31 Zac Ervin 12

Congratulations Gate City Blue Devils Mtn 7 District Tournament Champions

GC defeats Wise Central 83 -70

Bradley Dean 20 Andrew Sharpe 5 Mac McClung 41 Zac Ervin 17

Hey pizzzzza, maybe Central (Wise) is a sleeper team in region D? I checked the district site about them and see they are 11-3 since late December. Two of the loses to Gate City. Tonight they only got outscored by McClung & Co. by 5 points after the first quarter, and I'm sure the big 3 for Gate City played the whole game. lol.

Do you know anything about Central? If they win in their quarterfinal game and Graham also wins, the two would meet in the semifinal. Can Central give Graham something to consider and not look ahead to a Gate City final match-up?

Gate City better worry about Graham. Lebanon is 13-5 since Dec 27th with 3 of those 5 losses coming to Graham. Lebanon, like Central had been improved by the looks of their scores and schedule. Graham smashed them again tonight. Graham is 2-3 points from being undefeated on the season with both losses coming to rival Blue field, WV by 1 pt in both games. Graham plays great defense and they rebound offensively.

Ive read this board over the season and am still amazed about how little folks have talked about Graham. They will run Central-Wise out of the gym. The region title game for that area will be Graham vs Gate City and it's going to be a war. You can forget about it, Wise-Central will lose by more than 10 pts to Graham and maybe 20. Graham will play with GC and be in the game. The best 4 teams in VA are in no particular order, GC, Lee, Graham, and Radford. GC is slightly better than the other three. The other three are dead even and on a given night, they could beat GC.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Gate City better worry about Graham. Lebanon is 13-5 since Dec 27th with 3 of those 5 losses coming to Graham. Lebanon, like Central had been improved by the looks of their scores and schedule. Graham smashed them again tonight. Graham is 2-3 points from being undefeated on the season with both losses coming to rival Blue field, WV by 1 pt in both games. Graham plays great defense and they rebound offensively.

Ive read this board over the season and am still amazed about how little folks have talked about Graham. They will run Central-Wise out of the gym. The region title game for that area will be Graham vs Gate City and it's going to be a war. You can forget about it, Wise-Central will lose by more than 10 pts to Graham and maybe 20. Graham will play with GC and be in the game. The best 4 teams in VA are in no particular order, GC, Lee, Graham, and Radford. GC is slightly better than the other three. The other three are dead even and on a given night, they could beat GC.

Just curious but have you watched all 4 of these teams in person this year?

Reactions: toughy299
In person? All four? No. I didn't watch any NFL team in person this year either. However, I have a good idea of which teams were better than others. On tape, video, seen GC and Graham. In person, seen Lee and Radford.

We live in 2018. 1988 or 1998, or even 2008 have came and gone. It's a technical and wireless age. You can watch almost any credible or good team across the country, even High School Ball in today's age.

My opinion having watched all four. GC is slightly better. The other three are dead even with any of the three being able to beat GC 2-3 out of 10 times played. That 2, maybe 3 times out of 10 makes a possible win over GC within reach. It's not out of the realm. With the way Radford and Graham play defense and slow the game down, and particularly, the rebounding ability of both teams means they could cause GC problems. I think Lee is not a good match up for GC this year. They are talented, but don't play the defense of Radford and Graham, but they can score. High scoring teams with offensive prowess in my opinion, aren't a great match up for GC.

Last edited:
I still think Gate City, along with many others on here, has to be the odds on favorite to win it all.

But unfortunately for them, I think "at times" they rely too heavily on Mac....he creates for others on the team, including himself.

If he has an 'off' night, I really think they are in trouble.

Plus I think a good defensive team will give them trouble, especially if it cuts down on the number of possessions in a game.

I know that Ervin and Dean are good players in their own right, but Mac is the one that makes this machine go this season.

Next year will be Zac's turn to shine....along with Dean.

But I have feeling (next season) teams will key on Ervin, leaving Dean forced to create on offense.

Hey pizzzzza, maybe Central (Wise) is a sleeper team in region D? I checked the district site about them and see they are 11-3 since late December. Two of the loses to Gate City. Tonight they only got outscored by McClung & Co. by 5 points after the first quarter, and I'm sure the big 3 for Gate City played the whole game. lol.

Do you know anything about Central? If they win in their quarterfinal game and Graham also wins, the two would meet in the semifinal. Can Central give Graham something to consider and not look ahead to a Gate City final match-up?

I think lucastookis answered your question better than I can!

But I admit I was a little surprised by how much trouble GC had tonight with C-W, especially on their home court.

In person? All four? No. I didn't watch any NFL team in person this year either. However, I has a good idea of which teams were better than others. On tape, video, seen GC and Graham. In person, seen Lee and Radford.

We live in 2018. 1988 or 1998, or even 2008 have came and gone. It's a technical and wireless age. You can watch almost any credible or good team across the country, even High School Ball in today's age.

My opinion having watched all four. GC is slightly better. The other three are dead even with any of the three being able to beat GC 2-3 out of 10 times played. That 2, maybe 3 times out of 10 makes a possible win over GC within reach. It's not out of the realm. With the way Radford and Graham play defense and slow the game down, and particularly, the rebounding ability of both teams means they could cause GC problems. I think Lee is not a good match up for GC this year. They are talented, but don't play the defense of Radford and Graham, but they can score. High scoring teams with offensive prowess in my opinion, aren't a great match up for GC.

Ok lol

In person? All four? No. I didn't watch any NFL team in person this year either. However, I has a good idea of which teams were better than others. On tape, video, seen GC and Graham. In person, seen Lee and Radford.

I like your analysis of Lee, but I give them a 3-4 possible wins out of 10, 'IF' Vaughan can stay out of foul trouble and play 28-30 minutes. Even with some foul trouble Vaughan just makes Lee more dangerous in the final 16 and beyond state tournament games. Last season he made a high percentage of FTs in the regions and states. If he does the same this season and gives Lee 28-30 minutes, I like Lee's chance vs whoever comes out of C/D. Notice I said chance. I think the better teams are in C/D, but Vaughan is something none of those teams have.

Pizza, I agree with your analysis of GC. In my opinion, they are the odds on favorite to win it. They are the BEST team of the four mentioned that I've seen. Again, only my opinion. Graham is far better this year than last year and they play excellent half court and full court defense. They are well coached and they get tons of offensive rebounds and put backs around the rim. When a team does this, it often hinders the other team from running and getting out in transition. The same applies for Radford. With that written, I think GC will beat Graham in that region title game, but........I'm telling you this, Graham is Far Better than Central and John Battle. Central just gave GC a decent game, and John Battle lost by 20 to GC. Again, I think GC beats Graham, but it's not going to be a blow out in my opinion.

One final thing. If GC brings it's A game, no team in Case 2A will beat them. Their A game is better than Lee's, Radford, Graham, Dan River, and all of the rest for this season. Only my opinion. To best them, GC will have to be playing at a B- or C+ level, and the other team will need an A game, and with this....it would still be close and not a sure win.

Last edited:
Most Graham fans don't think they are near GC this season.

And Wise isn't very good. Played no tough OOC games and beat up on weak competition in conference. Lost to 1A JI Burton, they can't hang w Graham. GC/Graham are far ahead of rest of Region D if they show up.

Closest any M7 team got to GC is 13-15 points (Wise lost by 13, Union by 15) but GC also beat both teams by 30.

I thought Wise Central played really well tonight..... hats off to those kids. I also thought GC played pretty poorly but im not sure if it was because of how well Wise was playing or just because GC couldnt get it in gear. Probably a combination of both but in the end GC had to battle from start to finish.

But to your guys questions about Central.....they have some talented kids on that team. They just couldnt seem to get it together earlier in the season. McAmis and Mullins are both good players and they have a couple more that are solid i just cant remember their names right off hand. I honestly expected a little better game from them the 2 previous times GC played them in regular season. Having said that....i would expect a team like Graham to beat Central just like GC did the first 2 times they played. It just wasn't GCs normal performance tonight and the same goes for one of the games against Battle.

I think any of GC, Radford, Lee, Graham, Dan River, and MHS could take home to trophy. Just depends on who all gets hot when it counts. Dont know much about A and B or i might include some others in there. However, if GC can keep their foot on the throttle and show up to play like they did against Fern Creek, Cleveland, and Lakota East.....i like their chances against anyone.

One of the better games I have seen this season. The crowd reminded me of the old twin springs/council rivalry in the 90’s. Officiating was good. Had missed calls but on both ends. “Daddy’s boy” as the crowd was calling him is a shooter but without Mullins he would have a hard time running the show. Wise exposed the GC weaknesses. High pressure D on the right player(s) and taking it to them to create foul issues. Once u get a couple fouls on the big 3 they stop playing significant defense and then u can get inside baskets. Dean looked as good as I have seen him doing things other than shooting 30 footers. Good luck to both teams next week.

I hear you but man, it’s not over until Martinsville and Dan River say so. Dan River is playing some big time ball right now.

Reactions: AntGZee
In person? All four? No. I didn't watch any NFL team in person this year either. However, I have a good idea of which teams were better than others. On tape, video, seen GC and Graham. In person, seen Lee and Radford.

I think the GC-Graham matchup next Saturday will be a good one to watch because Graham will be the best (local) defensive team that GC has seen. The issue i see is Graham’s big man Garrett Dalton won’t be able to stay out of foul trouble with Mac and Zac driving. Mookie Collier from Bluefield basically beat Graham both games by just driving enough to keep Dalton out of the game, and while Mookie is one of the better athletes this area has seen in a while he’s no where near the basketball player that Mac or Zac is. Graham’s backup big guy isn’t bad, he’s actually pretty good defensively, but he doesn’t rebound or score the way they’ll need Dalton to. Another thing that hurts is not having Cam Allen playing anymore. As athletic and thick bodied as he is it wouldve been real interesting seeing him man up on Mac on the perimeter. If Cam was on the floor for Graham I would give them a chance but without him they don’t have the perimeter size/quickness to keep GC out of the paint and they lose the 18-20 ppg they needed from him to match GC in a 70-80 point game.

I think the GC-Graham matchup next Saturday will be a good one to watch because Graham will be the best (local) defensive team that GC has seen. The issue i see is Graham’s big man Garrett Dalton won’t be able to stay out of foul trouble with Mac and Zac driving. Mookie Collier from Bluefield basically beat Graham both games by just driving enough to keep Dalton out of the game, and while Mookie is one of the better athletes this area has seen in a while he’s no where near the basketball player that Mac or Zac is. Graham’s backup big guy isn’t bad, he’s actually pretty good defensively, but he doesn’t rebound or score the way they’ll need Dalton to. Another thing that hurts is not having Cam Allen playing anymore. As athletic and thick bodied as he is it wouldve been real interesting seeing him man up on Mac on the perimeter. If Cam was on the floor for Graham I would give them a chance but without him they don’t have the perimeter size/quickness to keep GC out of the paint and they lose the 18-20 ppg they needed from him to match GC in a 70-80 point game.

Is Allen the Graham QB in football? This kids an athlete. I watched on video on the court and that dude can defend. Didn't know he was out. That dramatically changes things because with the footspeed and quickness, Mac would have a much tougher time getting to the basket than probably any other defender in SWVA. That's a huge loss for Graham. Graham needs to get the Cook kid on the court and tell him, just play defense on MAC and keep him in front of you. If Mac gets 30, it's a win-win situation for Graham, lol. The Mookie kid from Bluefield I watched on tape in football and he's lightening quick, much quicker than McClung. I think Mookie was the WV player of the year in football. I didn't know he played hoops also. I'm not saying McClung ain't quick, and Mac Is much better I'm sure than Mookie, but quicks? No way, that kid is lightening quick if he's as quick on the hardwood as he is the football field. What grade/age is Mookie Collier from Bluefield, WV? That kid has to have college looks I presume.

Is Allen the Graham QB in football? This kids an athlete. I watched on video on the court and that dude can defend. Didn't know he was out. That dramatically changes things because with the footspeed and quickness, Mac would have a much tougher time getting to the basket than probably any other defender in SWVA. That's a huge loss for Graham. Graham needs to get the Cook kid on the court and tell him, just play defense on MAC and keep him in front of you. If Mac gets 30, it's a win-win situation for Graham, lol. The Mookie kid from Bluefield I watched on tape in football and he's lightening quick, much quicker than McClung. I think Mookie was the WV player of the year in football. I didn't know he played hoops also. I'm not saying McClung ain't quick, and Mac Is much better I'm sure than Mookie, but quicks? No way, that kid is lightening quick if he's as quick on the hardwood as he is the football field. What grade/age is Mookie Collier from Bluefield, WV? That kid has to have college looks I presume.

Cam Allen is the qb for Graham. I was told that UVA and WVU have both been to the school recently for him. He’s getting looked at as a DB. He did make 1st team all state as a CB so he’s definitely a heck of an athlete. Like I said, with him On the court Graham had a chance to compete with GC but without him I would only give graham a 10% chance at the most of upsetting GC. They just won’t have the athleticism or scoring to keep up once Dalton gets in foul trouble.

Mookie Collier is a special athlete. I didn’t mean for it to sound like he wasn’t a great basketball player if I did. He won the Bluefield Daily Telegraph’s basketball player of the year last year. I agree he’s quicker then Mac but Mookie isn’t anywhere near the shooter Mac is.

In WV they have 3 classes, A, AA, & AAA. At the end of the year they only have one player of the year award (the Kennedy award) for all 3 classes combined. Mookie did win that award this year. His recruiting isn’t really public for some reason but I’ve heard around town that he has plenty of D2 offers and a few FCS teams want him but the biggest offers he has is Toledo and Marshall. I think he would be a star at Marshall and I really hope he ends up there to stick it to WVU for the lack of interest they show West Virginia athletes, especially the ones from the southern part of the state.

We’re lucky here in the Bluefields to have two good football programs sharing the same stadium - 3 actually, if you include Bluefield College which had its first winning season since 1942. But between Graham and Bluefield there were 15 high school football games in town this season and they featured Cooke & Allen from Graham and Collier and Truck Edwards from Bluefield. (*potential) D1 football players in SWV/SWVA are hard to come by and there were 4 that shared the same stadium. I’ll miss seeing them all play but Mookie is really irreplaceable. You won’t ever find a more humble kid than him.. he’ll make it far in life in whatever he wants to do because he’s just a genuinely great person.

I guess I must missed it somewhere, but why isn't Cam Allen playing for Graham on the hardcourt this season?

I was gonna ask the same thing. Why isn't Cam Allen playing?

Who does Gate City play in the opening round of the regionals? When & what time as well? I follow Tennessee high school sports more closely because that's where I'm from but with McClung & Gate City I have followed them this year quite a bit.

Been to see McClung play twice this season. He is amazing & I just don't see anybody beating Gate City unless Radford catches Gate City in an off game or McClung has an off game. Graham I would be a little concerned about but a Gate City B game still should defeat them.

Virginia does their playoffs a little different than Tennessee but I was thinking Gate City would be playing either Lebanon or Richlands. I'm not 100% sure though about which district teams they would face in the regionals.

I know it's a #4 seed & the 1st round games are at the higher seeds home court but I don't know or haven't heard who that #4 seeded team might be. I also know the semis & finals are played at UVA-Wise College for Region D. Thanks.

GC knows that its gonna be an absolute dogfight if they are gonna bring home any hardware. Theyve been there and came home empty handed enough to know they are going to have to bring their best game every night to have a shot. Way too many good teams out there with enough talent to ruin it for them.

The true GC fans know we have a good shot this year.....but also had a good shot last year and we know how that played out. GC has yet to win a basketball state title....and it may not happen again this year. None of the real fans are anointing the boys with the title already. When they win one....thats when ill celebrate a bit and be happy for the kids.

Funny y’all giving the title to GC and Radford. The Catz and Dawgz like it that way though. Keep it up!

I'm a Dog and think it'll be GC vs Radford for the title. I'd like to be wrong, but that's the way I'm leaning.

Edit: Actually they can't play each other for the title, but I think they'll be the 2 out of C and D

Last edited:
I'm a Dog and think it'll be GC vs Radford for the title. I'd like to be wrong, but that's the way I'm leaning.

Edit: Actually they can't play each other for the title, but I think they'll be the 2 out of C and D
Definitely have a good shot. All I'm saying is never doubt the 2 teams that have made the big game at the 2a level every year except for last, including playing each other for the state championship in 2015. This is Martinsville and Dan River's time of the year.

I would think that the "survivor" of the C/D death group would have to be favorite in the state finals vs the A/B winner (which Lee is probably the favorite to advance from that group, but you never know)

If Graham or Radford had played in the Arby's Classic how many games would they have won? Any opinions ?
They'd all have lost to North Meck, but the others would have been possible wins. It's hard to say. If I was a Devil, I'd be more concerned that I just gave up 70 points to Wise Central.

Offense sells the tickets. Defense wins championships!

I know they are. I was just referring to Graham as the best team with a chance at defeating Gate City before the state title game which I think will be GC vs Radford. I found out though that GC faces Lebanon in their next game Wednesday night at home of course. Thanks.

Gate City and Radford can't play in the title game. IF they play, it will either be in the quarterfinals or semifinals, depending on how regions shake out.

Reactions: tonybologna
This is Martinsville and Dan River's time of the year.

Oh for sure. I'd never bet against my Dogs when the calendar gets late in the year. Crazy stat for you --- Martinsville plays a schedule full of 3As all the way up to 6A Franklin County --- the Dogs have only allowed more than 58 points one time all season and that was the very first game of the year at Graham (and the GMen got a large chunk of their points that night from the charity stripe)

First time poster here! It was a little concerning seeing the final score of the game Saturday, but if I'm not mistaken Radford and Lee were also pushed in their championship games as well. I don't recall the final score, however, they weren't blow outs or at least not until late in the 4th. This time of year anything goes and it only takes one bad night from any team to falter. I don't know if Wise-C was hot or GC was cold but it did catch my eye to see the final score. It's also the 3rd time they've played this year so that helps a little as well.

Gate City and Radford can't play in the title game. IF they play, it will either be in the quarterfinals or semifinals, depending on how regions shake out.

If Gate City is on their game then nobody in Virginia playoffs can beat them. Listen, I'm not even really a Gate City fan. I'm from the state of Tennessee. I went to Sullivan North High school back in the 1980's. I am a fan though of a local team doing well & a local player doing well like McClung.

He is just so much fun to watch play. If the other 2 main guns for GC are on their game in Ervin & Dean then it's lights out for all other teams they will be facing in the playoffs.

If Gate City is on their game then nobody in Virginia playoffs can beat them. Listen, I'm not even really a Gate City fan. I'm from the state of Tennessee. I went to Sullivan North High school back in the 1980's. I am a fan though of a local team doing well & a local player doing well like McClung.

He is just so much fun to watch play. If the other 2 main guns for GC are on their game in Ervin & Dean then it's lights out for all other teams they will be facing in the playoffs.
Hope you mean at the 2a level.

Reactions: AntGZee
DSH, lol I was getting ready to check him on that statement of nobody in Va playoffs beating Gate City. You beat me to it!! I read it and I'm like WHOA, is this cat high? Then thinking about it, it's not a given that Gate City's best is better than Graham, Radford, Dan River or Martinsville at their best. Gate City will have to prove that they are more than hype. When Radford, DR, Lee and Martinsville were picked to win, they won. Time will tell very soon if GC is more than hype.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT