ADVERTISEMENT

Boys - M7 District Tournament - Finals - Gate City 83 Wise Central 70 - FINAL

It's extremely obvious that tonybologna doesn't have a clue about the rest of Va. McClung isn't the only good player on the 2A level. Keep reading the message board. You'll hear names like Martin, Robertson, McLaughlin, Jones, Vaughn and that dude name Pettway.

GC wouldn't beat those tough 3A teams. Gate City, if they wanted a good pop quiz, then it would've been better had they played Northside instead of Pulaski.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I'm disagree a touch one GC's best vs everyone else's best. Again, only my opinion here, but having watched these teams, I think GC at its best is better than any other team. They have 2 legitimate Div 1 players. I think Ervin, the junior, already has 8 offers. They have some talent on that team. The standard by which GC is measured is to all of the other 2A teams in Virginia this year. GC is 2A, not 3A, 4A, 5A or 6A. Their numbers are what they are, and for the level they play at, they are pretty dang tough.

Not necessarily. GW Danville is a top 6 4a team and both Martinsville and Dan River beat them.

And Graham beat Martinsville with 2 starters out. I know, early in the year, and Martinsville has improved, but Martinsville isn't the only team in Virginia that gets the "we've improved ticket and we're much better now." You see, the other teams in 2A Virginia also practice the entire season in between games and many of them ALSO improve. Graham is one of those teams like Martinsville or Radford, Dan River, Lee, Gate City. The thing in common is they are well coached, so odds are, ALL of them are improved.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone use a "we've improved" narrative. MHS lost 5 other games, so I don't think anyone with common sense has any unrealistic expectations.

That's my point. My point is.....take that narrative out of the equation before being used.....because it applies equally to most teams. I agree that most people with common sense not having unrealistic expectations. After all, that's why they have common sense........they don't have unrealistic expectations. Personally, I don't know what the expectations are for any school in Virginia AA ball this year other than GC. I think most would agree the expectation for GC is to win a state title and anything short of that for this given year, 2017-18 would be considered a strong disappointment. Speaking of Martinsville, I'm sure the expectation isn't to win a title this year, but they can still be dangerous and cause problems. When you have talent and coaching, you are still a threat, and yes, in the right game, the right matchup, they could pull an upset on Radford if they met. It would be an upset, but a total shock? Of course not. Same for Graham and GC. A pretty big upset? Yep, but not a huge shocker. I think Martinsville and Dan River are certainly capable enough on one night to beat GC, Radford, Lee, or Graham. Not saying they will, but they certainly could.

GC wouldn't beat those tough 3A teams. Gate City, if they wanted a good pop quiz, then it would've been better had they played Northside instead of Pulaski.

GC played better teams than any other 2A teams to start the year in the Arby's, they've played some elite level national teams.

DSH, lol I was getting ready to check him on that statement of nobody in Va playoffs beating Gate City. You beat me to it!! I read it and I'm like WHOA, is this cat high? Then thinking about it, it's not a given that Gate City's best is better than Graham, Radford, Dan River or Martinsville at their best. Gate City will have to prove that they are more than hype. When Radford, DR, Lee and Martinsville were picked to win, they won. Time will tell very soon if GC is more than hype.

I can't really comment on the Region C teams, but Graham's best isn't gonna beat GC at their best.

Lucutookis, my dear misguided friend. Yes, indeed Martinsville's expectation is to win a state title. Some years it's more attainable than others. We go in to each year with that as a goal. We don't lose site of that just because Gate City is picked to win. You're confused about us and our tradition. You come to the Dawghouse and see that the thing we strive for Is hanging another state banner. We have the talent to win it all; I'm not saying that we will. I'm staying we have a team that has the potential too. You mention the Arby's Classic, no Martinsville hasn't played those caliber teams. We have played a pretty tough schedule though. GC has played in that same Arby's Classic in past years, did it help them earn a state title? On paper, yes Gate City is picked to win but on the court is where it has to be won. With your reasoning the other 2A schools shouldn't even play because GC is simply the best. Ya know, it makes a team's season when they beat Martinsville. We have been reminded all year, Graham beat Martinsville without 2 starters, so what!!!! Last year we beat R.E. Lee without Jordan Turner but it didn't end in a title. None of that makes a difference unless you win the last game of the year!!!!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Ant, not only did we beat Lee last year but we beat Radford twice. So we were 3-0 against state champs last year but they went home with the trophies, we didn't get squat. Got to win it on the court at the right time of the year. Ask pizzzzza, 2006 the Dogs had no business beating RE Lee for the championship but on any night if you don't play well you can be beat. I think any body with sense knows that GC is the overwhelming favorite to win their 1st championship, but take it from someone who has seen a team win 11 of their 15 state championships, strange things can happen along the way. But with McClung, Ervin and Dean I just don't see how anybody else can win. They are awesome, just don't see anyone being able to stop them.

Last edited:
And Graham beat Martinsville with 2 starters out. I know, early in the year, and Martinsville has improved, but Martinsville isn't the only team in Virginia that gets the "we've improved ticket and we're much better now." You see, the other teams in 2A Virginia also practice the entire season in between games and many of them ALSO improve. Graham is one of those teams like Martinsville or Radford, Dan River, Lee, Gate City. The thing in common is they are well coached, so odds are, ALL of them are improved.
All I will say is.... Both #1 seeds (LC Bird and Maury) in 5a?? Gone! They blew through the regular season. They beat some very very very good teams and a lot of people handed them the state championship. The team that beat Bird was 10-14 and the team that beat Maury was 10-13. My point, who you played and what you did in the regular season is irrelevant now. It’s all about matchups. If Gate City or Graham happens to win it all then I’ll be the first to congratulate them. It will be well deserved. All I’m saying is Dan River and Martinsville have been there before and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Reactions: AntGZee
Every year one team is usually picked to be the favorite to win it all and this year it happens to be GC. Yes they've never won a championship before but they have come close. I don't believe anybody is suggesting that they shouldn't even play and just ship the trophy down to GC by any means. Is it ok to be confident in your team? Absolutely! I'll say this about the Arby's Classic, the reason this year separates from past years is because this year GC placed 6th. Yea the game against North Meck didn't turn out the way GC wanted it to, but they batttled back and reeled off 3 wins to finish out. Two of those teams, if I'm not mistaken, were highly ranked in there respected classes. Mentally, it proved to the fans, but more importantly, the players that they can compete with the best of them. GC can't control what conference they play in but outside of that they have been tested and IMO passed. A team with confidence could make all the difference come tournament time but they still have to play the game.

GC played better teams than any other 2A teams to start the year in the Arby's, they've played some elite level national teams.

Ok. It's seem like almost everyone is admitting that GC is the prohibitive favorite, so can we just stop it with this narrative?? Elite national teams?? North Mecklenburg is what I would maybe call an elite national team, but no one else on the schedule fits that bill. Fern Creek is good, but they've lost at least 6 games. Cleveland (TN) is 17-5 and also pretty good it would seem. Lakota East stands at 14-9, hardly elite. Tennessee High and Daniel Boone have double digit losses. GC did what they could to add some good teams to the mix of their soft district opponents, so they're to commended for that. But to act like that one stiff game mixed in with 2 or 3 other decent opponents is some gauntlet is just fake news.

Ant, not only did we beat Lee last year but we beat Radford twice. So we were 3-0 against state champs last year but they went home with the trophies, we didn't get squat. Got to win it on the court at the right time of the year. Ask pizzzzza, 2006 the Dogs had no business beating RE Lee for the championship but on any night if you don't play well you can be beat. I think any body with sense knows that GC is the overwhelming favorite to win their 1st championship, but take it from someone who has seen a team win 11 of their 15 state championships, strange things can happen along the way. But with McClung, Ervin and Dean I just don't see how anybody else can win. They are awesome, just don't see anyone being able to stop them.

Oh yea....2006....thanks for reminding me of that one.............:)

Reactions: AntGZee
All I will say is.... Both #1 seeds (LC Bird and Maury) in 5a?? Gone! They blew through the regular season. They beat some very very very good teams and a lot of people handed them the state championship. The team that beat Bird was 10-14 and the team that beat Maury was 10-13. My point, who you played and what you did in the regular season is irrelevant now. It’s all about matchups. If Gate City or Graham happens to win it all then I’ll be the first to congratulate them. It will be well deserved. All I’m saying is Dan River and Martinsville have been there before and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Those were MAJOR shockers last night....I was stunned as I was following both games closely, and thought for sure Bird and Maury would pull it out!

On any given night....

It's extremely obvious that tonybologna doesn't have a clue about the rest of Va. McClung isn't the only good player on the 2A level. Keep reading the message board. You'll hear names like Martin, Robertson, McLaughlin, Jones, Vaughn and that dude name Pettway.

I think he mentioned as such, saying he was from NETN. I assume he is from Kingsport, Tennessee which is 5 miles from Gate City. He shouldn't be "Called out" for adding to the discussion.

I just wonder how much you'll be flapping those gums when the Dogs season ends in a couple of days to the Cats? ;)

I think he mentioned as such, saying he was from NETN. I assume he is from Kingsport, Tennessee which is 5 miles from Gate City. He shouldn't be "Called out" for adding to the discussion.

I just wonder how much you'll be flapping those gums when the Dogs season ends in a couple of days to the Cats? ;)
Take that Ant, you old gum flapper. If DR puts us out Fri, and we've got to get to Fri first, it won't be the first time. Had some real battles with them over the years. Got a tough Giles team tonight, we may not see DR. But I bet Ant won't go anywhere if Mavahi gets beat. He's a big hs basketball fan, he won't disappear if the Dogs lose. Me on the other hand, I get pretty scared when we lose. Something about the world coming to an end

Sorry, but Mavahi and Lee have had many memorable games I just had to mention one. How about James Hunt at the buzzer at JMU..... lol

I like your 'selective' memory...........LOL

That was one helluva game, though.

AntzGee, I agree with everything you wrote. You stated the expectations are for Martinsville to win a title. That's fine, but your post should have addressed Mayberryite. He is the one that wrote about expectations. I clearly stated that I don't know or claim to know others expectations (with the exception of GC). I'm aware of Martinsville great tradition and prowess. I also agree the schedule of Martinsville may be equal to GCs when taking the entire season game for game. No disagreement here. But.....Martinsville this year is somewhat down compared to where they have been. Your fans have said that on this board. For GC, the expectation I'm sure is to win the title. Anything less would be a disappointment and if a gun were out to the heads of GC fans in which they had to answer truthfully, they would agree.

Bottom line is.....none of us can predict the future. I still think GC st their best is better than any other teams best for this 2017-18 season. But.....that's only one dudes opinion. I think Radford wins the state title though. That's my pick since early January and I will stick to it. Why? Radford is used to winning titles and GC has come so close over the years, but fallen short, and in the big show, Radford will bring their A game and GC will have a B- game and Radford will win the whole thing. Radford is close enough to GC in that their A game can best GCs B game. Graham could have pulled it off possibly...before the Allen kid went off. That completely changes their half court defense and chances to win it. Only my opinions....

Ok. It's seem like almost everyone is admitting that GC is the prohibitive favorite, so can we just stop it with this narrative?? Elite national teams?? North Mecklenburg is what I would maybe call an elite national team, but no one else on the schedule fits that bill. Fern Creek is good, but they've lost at least 6 games. Cleveland (TN) is 17-5 and also pretty good it would seem. Lakota East stands at 14-9, hardly elite. Tennessee High and Daniel Boone have double digit losses. GC did what they could to add some good teams to the mix of their soft district opponents, so they're to commended for that. But to act like that one stiff game mixed in with 2 or 3 other decent opponents is some gauntlet is just fake news.
Decent opponents? Lol you accuse me of overselling the wins then you turn right around and undersell Fern Creek, who's only loss since the Arby's is to Trinity IIRC and leave off Science Hill.

So please, show me some other VHSL 2A schools that have played better teams than those listed.

AntGZee ain't going anywhere win or lose. We may not make it to Friday as was mentioned earlier but I'll still be around. Whomever wins the 2A title, I'll be the 1st to give them props. No acrimony here, just congruence. All of this is entertaining to me. A lil bit of smack talk and having fun with the difference of opinions.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT