ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS: State Semis - Robert E. Lee (75) Dan River (72) - FINAL in OT

People are talking about Lee's coaching; Lee's guard play against athletic guards was too much of an obstacle.

It's a tie game now with less than a minute left?

Nevermind....I seen where OT was posted. That's insane

Lee deserves to the be in the title game, they went through 2 very good teams to get there.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Dan River drills a 3 but trails Lee 73-72 with 1.0 second remaining

Congrats to the Leemen. DR.... That's maybe the biggest point deficit I've ever heard of being given up. Might be some sort of record. Congrats to DR too though... Good season for the Cats.

FINAL: Robert E. Lee 75, Dan River 72. (OT).

Leemen are back in the state championship for first time since 2006.

Lee High will play Amelia for the 2A state championship Thursday night at VCU

What a comeback.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
C6HltvOWUAQB4pQ.jpg

Never posted these, but here they are (click once to enlarge)

Congrats to the Leemen. DR.... That's maybe the biggest point deficit I've ever heard of being given up. Might be some sort of record. Congrats to DR too though... Good season for the Cats.

It was not only the deficit, but the way Lee was playing - and Dan River was totally outplaying them for 80% of the game.

I think I'm going to watch the replay and go back and watch the 4th quarter, since I missed the part where Lee started to come back - I want to see exactly what happened - what did Lee do, and what did Dan River do to lose the lead?

I wasn't watching or listening on the radio - but from posts here, it appears Vaughan had 25 2nd half points.

Posting those stats is great - can you post the 2nd half?

I wasn't watching or listening on the radio - but from posts here, it appears Vaughan had 25 2nd half points.

As soon as I track them down.....

As soon as I track them down.....
Lee led for probably 3-4 minutes total in the game, Dan River the rest. With about 6 1/2 minutes left in the 4th Lee was down 58-44. They went on a 17-1 run to take the lead with just under 2 minutes left. Lee went 14-22 from the FT line in regulation but made 8-10 in overtime.

RE LEE boxscore

George 12 2-4 27, 10 rebounds 1 3pt
Vaughan 9 13-17 31, 19 rebounds
William 1 4-6 6
Velvin 3 3-5 9
Simmons 1 0-0 2
TEAM 26 22-32 75, 1 3pt

First of all, this was an awesome game, maybe the best high school game I have ever seen. As people have said, for most of the game DR was in complete control and you had no idea a Lee comeback was even possible. But when they cut it to 9 at 59-50, the crowd really got into it and I think that helped them win. (It didn't for Madison but certainly did for Lee.)

Another thing that has not been mentioned yet is the INCREDIBLE number of fouls called in this game. Fans on both sides howled once in a while at individual calls, so I am sure some Dan River fans will want to blame the loss on the stripes, but from where I sat, they were consistent and just called a very tight game.

In fact, in one of the most amazing stats I have ever seen, and I hope someone captured a photo of this, if so please post it......when Lee went to the foul line for those final two shots with only 1 second left in the overtime.........if you looked at the scoreboard, ALL TEN GUYS who were on the floor at that time had four fouls on them. And that doesn't even count two or three that had already fouled out. I am guessing there were at least 60-70 fouls total called in the game.

As for keys to the win, DR had it under control as long as it was a run and gun game. Lee could not match up with them at that tempo. But once Lee started working it inside to the George and Vaughan duo, that turned the game around.

I think Thursday's final will be epic, because Amelia will not lay down and die.

C6IdQ6xUYAAbzMj.jpg

A HUGE thanks to Patrick Hite (Staunton News Leader) for this!

[QUOTE="
A HUGE thanks to Patrick Hite (Staunton News Leader) for this![/QUOTE]

And thanks to you for posting it.

Hite is a good reporter - but his paper reuses to print football or basketball stats or box scores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT