Semifinals – Thursday, Feb. 23, at James River
Dan River 96, Gate City 84
Richlands 49, Chatham 43
Consolation – Saturday, Feb 25, at James River
Gate City vs. Chatham, 4 pm.
Championship – Saturday, Feb. 25 at James River
Dan River vs. Richlands, 6 p.m.

Timeout with 3:50 left in my 1st qtr Gate City 11 Chatham 0

Nice behind the back pass from McClung to Ervin ends with a Dunk from Ervin. GC now leads 27-11 in the 2nd.

Halftime Gate City 41 - Chatham 19.

McClung 14, Collier 5, Dean 4, George 2, Ervin 13, Kimbler 3

Sometimes that's all it takes to wake a team up.

I realize Chatham isn't nearly as good as DR which is more of the reason why GC is dominating right now. GC still hasn't been playing real good lately (minus the Graham game). I never like to see my team lose but if there was one game they needed it....It was against DR.

Gate City scoring: McClung 23, Collier 5, Dean 9, George 2, Ervin 15, Kimbler 3, Vermillion 3

Final: Gate City wins 85-50.

Devils will play at JMU on Friday at 7:45 vs the #2 East team

Chatham will play #1 East team

Reactions: sharkfan83
Way to go Devils. Way to respond and not get down on yourselves!

If Dan River is able to win tonight over Richlands, then you will be one step closer to getting your wish to play Dan River again (in state semis) - all it would take to make that possible again is for both teams to win their opening round games in the state tournament - but of course, everything has to fall into place first.

I definitely wouldnt mind to see a rematch. Was a very good game that I think could go either way if they played again. First things first though....Gotta come away with a W next Friday.

What makes you think that? DRs coach claimed that was the best game the Cats had played all year. I like GCs chances if they play again. GC will have to face them one way or another if they both manage to win out. And not to mention the fact Ervin had a poor game and so did the rest of the team aside from Mac and they still was in the game til the last 2 mins.

I don't think the rest of the team had a poor game, I don't think they got many chances to score. Regardless of that the next game will be a toss up much like the first, if they meet again. Imo

Well when I said the team played poorly I wasn't really speaking for the offensive side of things except for Ervin....He shot poorly from 3. I was actually referring to the defensive/rebounding effort. I think it would be a toss up if they played again too.

Scoring? Gate City scored 84 points and got beat by a dozen. Maybe that mentality is GC biggest problem. I would agree with the rebound and effort on defense. Honestly was joust very poor.

Yea I wasn't referring to the scoring being poor....However it should have been more spread out between 3-4 players. McClung was amazing....But he was also gassed at the end due to working himself to death. Defense and rebounding is the Devils issue and like I said.....That part of their game was poor against DR. (Especially the 4th qtr)

And what im saying isn't to discredit Dan River. They are a really talented team across the board and they had alot to do with the way GC played the game.

I hate to see a coach let a kid go as hard as that young man did and not give him a sub for a couple minutes, had he gotten a break the outcome may have been different. Very few players will ever pull themselves that's what the coach is for. Seen many a game lost because kids don't have legs at the end

Well I'm pretty certain alot of the shots that didn't fall for Mac in the 4th was due to fatigue. His legs were gone no doubt. Mac hardly ever sees the bench when the game is still close. It has to be blowouts before hes subbed out. I can't imagine what he would be like if he got 2-3 minute breaks and had fresh legs consistently.

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty certain alot of the shots that didn't fall for Mac in the 4th was due to fatigue. His legs were gone no doubt. Mac hardly ever sees the bench when the game is still close. It has to be blowouts before hes subbed out. I can't imagine what he would be like if he got 2-3 minute breaks and had fresh legs consistently.
And that's what some coaches don't seem to get! Even though your subs might not score at the same rate as the starter, if they can take care of the ball and buy some time it will pay off in the end. As long as Mac had legs DR had no answer for him but to me he was starting to look tired late in the 3rd/early 4th, kind of about the time DR started to swing it their way

I agree 100%. If the young guys hadn't seemed so scared of the big moment I think Scotty could have pulled him and gave him a breather. But I don't think he really trusts anyone else to handle the ball. Dean is a good handler... But he seems really timid of the big game environment right now. He's been shakey the past 2 games. (Not including today)

That's why you get them comfortable in the games that aren't big. There are very few kids who can rise to the occasion not having had the chance to practice it. Regular season is the time to practice and build confidence.

Agreed. Theres been times that Ervin, Dean, and Compton have taken the ball up the court....But not nearly enough. Compton and Dean both have the tools to be very good PGs...They just need more experience with it.

I think alot of the reason Mac doesn't go 110% on defense is because he realizes he's gonna play the whole game and he has to be smart with how he exerts his energy and he uses most of it up on offense. He does most of his damage on defense with steals around the perimeter and tries to stay out of foul trouble. If he was as aggressive on defense as he is on offense I feel like he would get into foul trouble and GC can't afford for that to happen in the post season.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The problem was the 33 points DR scored in the 4th quarter. You guys are having a forest and trees issue. - McClung Scored 12 points the first quarter and 12 points the 4th quarter.
Yes... rest is good.... Yes... more players to do more... good. But THE 33 POINTS GUYS

Who are you talking to? I stated multiple times in this thread myself that the offense wasn't the problem here.

It should be an interesting 1/4 finals. I do smell an upset up in JMU. Maybe Madison and DR are better teams than we thought. Next week will reveal the truth.

The majority of your conversation is about the way less important issues. Like who is bring the ball up the court and Mac missing because he was tiered in the 4th.,(Fact.. mac scored the same amount of points in the 1st as he did in the 4th.) also talking about... that somehow 84 points would be more than 84 points if it was spread out between 3 players... DR swing was when Mac was tired.... etc. That stuff is 90% of your conversation and that was 10% of the reason you lost. No skin off my back.. if you fix all the stuff your talking about and your defense and rebounding issue are not addressed then you may lose by 10 points instead of 12. .... why not just call some timeouts, think GC finished the game with two or three left.
yeah shark mentioned defense and rebounding but talk about everything else. Why not mention that one guy tries to rebound while 4 guys watch the ball. or you try to play man to man defense the entire game and give up lay-ups like crazy. I guess I don't get it. i just don't understand your post focus - when the elephant in the room gets a once over. good luck

Yep.....You obviously don't get it. The defensive/rebounding effort was stated right off the bat for being the problem for GC. If it bothers you we didn't write an essay back and forth going over the defensive woes with a fine tooth comb....Then that's your agenda and maybe you should address it and we can hash it out. We will probably agree with you 100% on whatever you want to say about the defense...It's atrocious. Anyone that has eyes sees the issue. Also, GC hardly ever plays a zone and never play it when they should and it burns them in the post season and finals. Take that up with Scotty V....I've wanted them to play a zone for years when they are getting beat for lay ups.

But not understanding the importance of the scoring being spread out among 4-5 players shows that you don't understand the point being made or the game. Having 64 pts spread out among multiple players would have meant less fatigue for Mac (on offense AND defense), more production from other players which would have been pivotal when the game was at a dead heat in the middle of the 4th (not relying on Mac solely to make a play), and more confidence throughout the team instead of just one player playing out of his mind. Those other guys are integral parts of the puzzle for winning in the post season and possibly winning a title. If you don't see the difference in one person scoring 64 and 4-5 guys scoring those 64....Then its you that can't see the forest for the trees. They must play more collectively to advance in the post season (And for the record they did that against Chatham....Which isn't nearly the same caliber team as DR though).

And for you to think that GC doesn't want a rematch with DR, you obviously not a GC fan. Can't be an athlete and be scared of competition. You can bet those boys want another crack at the Cats! One player carried the team the whole game and had them in position to close out the game and just didn't do it. I think those boys feel like if they all play similar to what they normally do they have a really good chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnceAKnight
I didn't disagree with more scoring option would better. (Although I didn't see anyone else wanting to take over for gate city)... My statement was it's not the reason you lost. But it is what you want to talk about. I find that funny and possibly a reason those thing are not addressed over the season.

Oh defense and rebounding too obvious to talk about.. much.. you just give the fringe stuff most attention. Thanks .. I get it .. good luck.

You may beat the cats if you play them again. but you got that chance with martinville last year.

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT