ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Witt would not be denied.

I never really like to speak on negative comments but I am very disappointed in Dinwiddie Football.Don't get me wrong Dinwiddie football has been great over the last ten years. But the way it is being corrupt it is very disappointing. Dinwiddie football has been doing great over the years but due to its advantages seeing many transfers come in. I also wonder how good dinwiddie would actually be if it wouldn't was not having transfers from rivalry schools such as petersburg and hopewell or was not using the "Tony Franklin offense system" ( a software that actually game plan and do all the coaching for the staff) ..Doesn't sound like coaching, sound like computers doing all the work .. I noticed Petersburg Football is going down only because schools like Dinwiddie and Dale are accepting kids who are not in the zone. To my knowledge Dinwiddie had three of Petersburg top players playing for them right now and not only are those players good but they are literally the reason for their success this year and winning 6 season games last year. WR/S Tye Freeland RB/LB Zyan Sturdivant and OL/DL Travon Wilkerson are all born and raised in Petersburg and two of them still live in Petersburg and is playing for Dinwiddie program. ( all three players was all state guys with offers while at Petersburg and was only honorable mention after the first season with dinwiddie). Also there are the "Pope brothers" who are born and raised in Petersburg who are also players for Dinwiddie. if schools with actually checking zones your be shock to see all the kids that supposed to play at Petersburg. It would be one of thethe top schools in 3A. If you look at this link below

Dinwiddie's staff was working out Petersburg player Zyan Sturdivant on May 24, 2015 .. (Petersburg was not even out of school yet and the players didn't enroll until fall 2015 dinwiddie coach has the players on his social media actually training them before they was even accepted by the school. Petersburg will blossom if the surrounding counties stop taking their blessings away. In the last five years we have only seen one player make it to Division I and that's Denzel at ODU from Dinwiddie but in the last five years Petersburg have sent multiple kids to Division I schools to play. Gemonta Jackson ODU -Tye Freeland (left Petersburg with 3 offers) - Chris Thompson Missouri - fred Respberry JMU -Jordan Noggin's multiple offers-maybe Petersburg not winning much but the key is to get your players to able to play at the next level at the highest levels. I can only imagine the colleges that would come if they won more and nearby counties wouldn't take their blessings. But hey glad to see only winning matters in some areas. Newport News Heritage will win states this year and it will be great to see it accomplished with no transfers and kids who are actually from the city.

Ok Sykes, you are correct. Three of our current players did transfer from Petersburg in 2015 and a fourth never was admitted due to legal troubles. You say these young men still reside in Petersburg. If this is indeed the case then provide this information (addresses) to the school and if validated, I am sure our athletic director will self report and forfeit any games these young men have played. I am a huge General fan and would be very disappointed if what you say is true.

Now lets get real about why Petersburg loses students and athletes. Sturdivant is a good place to start. I spoke with this young man in detail this summer. He did leave Petersburg for a better football opportunity, but he also carries a 3.5 GPA and desires to attend college. When asked what he liked the most about Dinwiddie he emphatically stated academics.

Everbody knows Petersburg City Schools are notoriously awful and many parents/students (not just athletes) move to Dinwiddie, Chesterfield and Prince George seeking a sound education. Be honest and think about what you are asking people to do. Stay in a crime ridden city that cant pay its bills, forgoe a decent education and take the risk of athletics not being funded. For what? Really?

Lastly and surely not nearly important is your lack of knowledge regarding the "Franklin System". It is not a computer program its a spread offense scheme. Auburn, Houston, SMU, and many other schools have used the Franklin System at one time or another. Tell me more Sykes. Our School Board could save some money on salaries if a computer can coach. Again really?

For those of you who dont understand, Petersburg used to be a very proud and thriving community. There are many who still hold dear to tradition (Sykes may be one), but unfortunately, this is the type of excuses that have plagued the City for twenty years. Its never Petersburg or it citizens fault. Now the surrounding counties have to pay their bills. For once dont point fingers, acknowledge your problems, and fix them.

Last edited:
This is my first post. I agree with Bleeding Navy. Petersburg has a middle school which has NOT had accreditation for the 11th straight year. If a parent has the opportunity to move and transfer thier child to a school system where they will receive a better education, what parent would not?

Perhaps most disgraceful Sykes comments are the connotations of some type of wrong doing on anyone's part, especially the student athletes. I know exactly why each of these three students ended up in Dinwiddie. One, as BN stated, was nothing more than their, and their parents choice to have a chance at a better education. Football was not the primary or even the secondary reason. The other two, the kids had NO say so in the matter. Family issues, so leave it at that.

In all three cases, these young men have come to Dinwiddie and earned everything they have obtained. From becoming members of the football team, to respect and friendship from their classmates. For you to make blatantly false accusations is an insult and a slap in the face to what these young men have accomplished. Basically you are accusing the boys of being cheats and liars. They ARE NOT. And I stand with Navy and others, show a shred of evidence, or apologize to these young men and to our proud community.

This is my first post. I agree with Bleeding Navy. Petersburg has a middle school which has NOT had accreditation for the 11th straight year. If a parent has the opportunity to move and transfer thier child to a school system where they will receive a better education, what parent would not?

Welcome 1Gensfan. Glad to have you on board.

Reactions: Gen54 and 1Gensfan
Welcome 1Gensfan. Glad to have you on board.
Thank you Dinwiddie Proud. I read more than I post, but this struck a nerve. You said it best. To assume or acuse Dinwiddie of "taking" athletes is outrageous. These young men have worked hard and earned everything on and off of the field. Children have no say so as to when or where thier parents move to.

Thank you Dinwiddie Proud. I read more than I post, but this struck a nerve. You said it best. To assume or acuse Dinwiddie of "taking" athletes is outrageous. These young men have worked hard and earned everything on and off of the field. Children have no say so as to when or where thier parents move to.
Another thing, Sykes spoke of players going to D1 schools. You must have a program, coaching staff that helps these kids get the exposure they deserve. Dinwiddie may not send athletes to D1 schools every year, but 70% of thier players use football to further their EDUCATION!

Things are not perfect at Dinwiddie, but neither are they anywhere else. Anyone that makes totally false and unsubstantiated accusations like this, has no clue as to high Coach Mills and his staff, and the AD and the school administration, hold honesty and ethics in every aspect of school life. All schools want and try to be like this, so what we do here at Dinwiddie is no different than most. Perhaps the difference here is we tend to self police ourselves a little closer. We are very proud of our reputation for honesty and fairness, and are quick to bring into question anything that shines a bad light on our community. Again, we are no different than virtually all school communities. Pride is more than a motto for us, it's the expected example to be set by everyone.

Reactions: Gen54 and 1Gensfan
Transfers are unavoidable when you have a winning program. Naturally kids want to come there. It is nice to see a team win organically. But lets not act like Dinwiddie is Ocean Lakes of the past few years. Most great teams have transfer kids that is just how it is. Look at all those hampton roads teams over the last 20 years. Back in the 90's Huguenot had people on the team that didn't even go to the school at all!! Dinwiddie may have benefitted from a few transfers but I don't see anything out of the norm here... just part of having a good program.

Wow how sad to try and take away what these kids have accomplished. For the past 10 years Dinwiddie Football has improved every year with out transfers. Its the program and Coach Mills and his coaches that improve these young men on the field, classroom and life. Dinwiddie goes to states with Adam Morgan at QB (uh no transfers on that team) Dinwiddie wins states in 2013 (uh again no transfers). I believe last year there were over 30 players with a GPA of 3.5 or higher, 4 players over 4.0 with one player having the highest GPA of all at 4.5. Its not just football in Dinwiddie, its grooming young men for life. These coaches love them players and Coach Mills may look mean and be a little tough on them but he knows it will better them as men and loves each one of them as his own. From what I heard the 3 that transferred was also due to the lack of coach involvement, helping players evolve and getting players exposed to any college recruits. If you look in the Dinwiddie Football field house you will see the wall is full of pictures of players who playing at the next level not just D1 but all D1,D2 and D3.

GO DINWIDDIE GENERALS!!!!!!

If some kid or parent wants to talk to Coach Mills or any of the coaches about coming to Dinwiddie and playing sports, they are immediately stopped and told to go get registered and then come talk to them. The kids are then vetted by three different and independent administrators as to eligibility.

It has to be this way. The cost of a mistake is to high. Costing innocent kids victories because one kid was ineligible? Just not going to happen because someone didn't do their job. Not at this school.

Transfers happen. It is a common complaint every year. Especially against teams that win or could win it all.

I'll put this out there again, even though I have done it more than once. the VHSL is not a policing agency. That's not how it works. They do not investigate. If you have formative information about a transfer, one simple email or phone call to the Principle or AD at the school you think is in violation is all that is required. THEY are mandated by VHSL to report the inquiry, do the investigation, report the conclusions and supply all supporting paperwork.

If you want to come on here and complain about transfers, that's fine. But back it up by having the nads to follow the simple procedures and have some evidence or STFU.

Last edited:
There is only one Dinwiddie fan that is as crooked as they come and that's DP, thinks he is coming up here to a Sherando on a recruiting trip this weekend , well I am going to put the shut down on that right of way when he gets here. Going to feed him, he will worthless the rest of the day!

I just read sykes post again, looking for any clue that may give me pause to believe there is a shred of validity to anything he stated. My answer, absolutely not.

Let me say this, I was one of the proud citizens that was born and raised in Petersburg. It truly was a great city at one time. I had a terrific childhood. I got a fantastic education, until the ninth grade, (1969). Many factors came together to start the downturn of the school system that year. Not excuses, not even wrong, but the end result was that the schools started a slow and steady decline that year.

At bit of background. A few years later, probably about 1978, The Brown and Williams Tobacco Company began the steady downsizing as they moved their base of operations to Macon, Georgia. And so went 6000 high paying jobs by 1988. The economic impact was staggering, and was never been mitigated by any substantial economic growth.

As Navy said, the school system has become absolutely one of the worst performing systems in the state. Now mind you, the brightest minds with bottomless pocketbooks would have been challenged to keep the school system at an acceptable level. And neither was available. Regardless of the reasons, which are many and varied, funding of the schools has become difficult to maintain. But more importantly, the ability to attract and keep good administrators and teachers is nearly impossible. And Petersburg, and specifically the schools, do not need merely good personnel, they need extraordinary personnel.

They need these extrodinary personnel, because those kids are worth it. Honestly, I could give a damn less about the adults that have chosen to live the life many of them do. When you get in your 20's, it's your own fault. Not mine, not someone else's, and certainly not the governments. Your's and your's alone.

But, conversely, it is not the kids fault, to be saddled with a substandard education, in decaying inadequate schools. They deserve better. And better does not mean, more money. It means accountability. It means high standards and expectations. It means the right resources, not just paying more to the teachers and administrators that helped create the problem.

So maybe we owe "sykes" some latitude. If he was a product of a school system that did not teach him to be responsible with his accusations. That did not teach him to respect someone that simply wanted to provide their children with the best possible chance in life by way of a sound education. That did not value honesty and accountability above all else. Then maybe it's not his fault?

Sykes, we are not perfect in Dinwiddie. We don't always get it right. We stumble sometimes. But we don't blame anyone for our shortcomings. We don't acuse others of something to make ourselves feel better. We just own our mistakes, roll up our sleeves, and go to work fixing our problems. That my friend is the foundation for pride, Dinwiddie style.

But you know what pisses me off more than anything, sykes. You intruded on a thread that was posted to give some credit to an outstanding young man. A young man that demonstrated what pride and perseverance on the football field is all about. You sir, should be ashamed!

There is only one Dinwiddie fan that is as crooked as they come and that's DP, thinks he is coming up here to a Sherando on a recruiting trip this weekend , well I am going to put the shut down on that right of way when he gets here. Going to feed him, he will worthless the rest of the day!

Darn it Navy, you ratted me out again. Petersburg is on to us, and now Sherando? I guess me and old "First Down" will have to make another recruiting trip to Salem like we did a couple of years ago. (Please don't tell Mike)

Ok Hammy, since you are on to me, can you have the top players transcripts ready when I get there? Oh never mind, we can take care of that behind closed doors, wink, wink! Is there an ATM on site at Handley? I might need to withdraw a little extra cash just in case a kid or two needs money for the bus ride home, wink, wink! Remember, I'm all about the kids and doing the right thing. (How's that? Is that how the big boys do it?)

All that money you got, and I mean a lot! Still won't touch Handley money haha no kidding either. Glad your bringing Navy, his bankroll will put you over the top, transcripts won't be a problem , we can just print some fakes off online .:)

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I wish I had blue hair. In fact, I just wish I had hair. A photographer taking a group pictue I was involved in yesterday asked me to move into the shade, because of the glare bouncing off my head. Needless to say his wife filed a missing persons report this morning. Lol....

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Sykes is a coach at Buckingham who came with Wallace from Petersburg. If any of you guys are hiring please take him so we don't have to deal with his ignorance anymore!
Thanks, but no thanks Knightsfan. That explains his animosity with coach mills.

I thought you had to set out a year if you transfer? Maybe I'm wrong. If not then highschool is getting just as bad as college with the graduate transfer rule. So basically it just tells these young men if you don't wanna be on a losing team then jump ship. Not a fan. Now for the few kids whos parents moved to the area for work or what not I understand but I guarantee that's a small percent. The majority I feel like just want to win...... I was not writing this in reference to dinwiddie by the way I was just speaking in general for all schools big or small.

Reactions: salemfan32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT