C-36 Tourney pairings....Boys

leemen

VaPreps All District
Feb 12, 2004
1. Page County-bye
7. Buffalo Gap Vs. 2. East Rockingham
6. Wilson Memorial Vs. 3. R.E.Lee
5. Stuarts Draft Vs. 4. Nelson County

Page County has wrapped up a regional bid.

The three winners of the first round will also get regional bids.

Tourney starts Tuesday.

1. Page County-bye

Tourney starts Tuesday.
Draft and Nelson are two very dangerous teams

1. Page County-bye

Tourney starts Tuesday.
I think ER and RE Lee come away with Ws, but I have Nelson and SD as a toss up, because you never know what to expect with SD offensively

SD over Nelson
Lee over Wilson
ER over BG

SD upsets Page
ER beats Lee

Page beats Lee in consolation

ER over SD in championship

A few upsets...but that's my call

Just for fun predictions...

East Rock over Buffalo Gap by 20
R.E.Lee over Wilson by 15
Stuarts Draft by 5 over Nelson.

Semifinals:

Page County over Stuarts Draft by 5-10
R.E.Lee over East Rock by 2...upset special.

Consolation:
East Rock over Draft by 10

Title:
R.E.Lee over Page Co by 2.

These are unbiased opinions...I have no team in this tourney hahaha.

Going to be some really good games. I have to go with Lee. They are my pick in this conference. Valley has prepared them for these games and they have the talent to make it to Richmond. Lee wins by 10 no matter who they play in the conference championship. Darius is going to put on a show.

Should be a good tournament. I think either Page or East Rock wins it. Either of these teams that faces Lee will be well prepared with a game plan to limit George's touches. It will come down to whether or not the rest of the Lee team can make plays in my opinion.

Going to be some really good games. I have to go with Lee. They are my pick in this conference. Valley has prepared them for these games and they have the talent to make it to Richmond. Lee wins by 10 no matter who they play in the conference championship. Darius is going to put on a show.

I don't know about all that......

As long as he is in the game and has the ball in his hands Lee has a chance in any of the conference games. That is not a slight to the rest of the team as there are some other very capable scorers on the roster, but when he has the ball good things tend to happen more times than not. He has gotten better each game, and I hope he takes his game to the next level for the playoffs.

Couple of questions here...............

1) How did Page get the number one seed? I thought East Rock had the better overall record and was on a long winning streak?

2) Are all these games to be played on the home court of the higher seeds, or is there some neutral site picked out for the later rounds, even if it is someone's home court? I am asking because if Lee has to make back-to-back road trips to East Rock and then to Page in order to come out on top, I am not sure they could do it.

1) How did Page get the number one seed? I thought East Rock had the better overall record and was on a long winning streak?

2) Are all these games to be played on the home court of the higher seeds, or is there some neutral site picked out for the later rounds, even if it is someone's home court? I am asking because if Lee has to make back-to-back road trips to East Rock and then to Page in order to come out on top, I am not sure they could do it.
Page had the better overall record between them and East Rock, E.R. had a better district record by one game...that is why I don't like the current format..East Rock probably played a little tougher non district schedule then Page and even though I'm a die hard Page fan, right is right...I haven't see Lee this yr. but, they are usually a strong team...there are four teams that could come out on top..Lee, East Rock, Draft and Page...even Nelson could get in..thing about Draft, u never know how many of their bombs are gonna drop

To answer question 2, Lee will have to travel to East Rock and Draft will travel to Page on Friday, 2-12. Both the consolation and the championship games will be held at Page County on Tuesday, 2-16, no matter what happens on Friday. I assume this format was agreed upon by the ADs of the conference prior to the season.

That juggernaut RE Lee who was just going to give the ball to Darius George and let him dominate while they walked through the conference....

Just beat Wilson Memorial in the final seconds last night 44-43

Playoff hoops baby - everyone is going to get everyone else's best shot...no one going to "cruise" through anything

That juggernaut RE Lee who was just going to give the ball to Darius George and let him dominate while they walked through the conference....

Just beat Wilson Memorial in the final seconds last night 44-43

Playoff hoops baby - everyone is going to get everyone else's best shot...no one going to "cruise" through anything
I went to the girls game last night thinking the boys would handle Wilson by double digits again and the ladies game would be closer, but this just goes to show you.... nothing is guaranteed during tourney time.

The scores of both the boys and the girls games really surprised me, but at this point in the year a win is a win.

I think Wilson slowed the game down and dictated the pace. They played very well and really had Lee on the ropes several times. Each time Lee responded. I love this time of year a little more now that I know Lee is moving on lol. Wilson deserves a lot of credit for one heck of an effort.

I think Wilson slowed the game down and dictated the pace. They played very well and really had Lee on the ropes several times. Each time Lee responded. I love this time of year a little more now that I know Lee is moving on lol. Wilson deserves a lot of credit for one heck of an effort.
Tournament time in hoops is one of my favorite times of the year. Always full of excitement.

Reactions: leemen
Keith I agree! Vaughn really stepped up big for Lee last night. He hit a huge three to tie the game and a free throw to put them ahead. I still think George has to be the guy to really take charge...especially now. Seeing others starting to step up in clutch situations more is nice to see.

Also...as far as the score. We are now in the time of year where coaches run strategies to pull out upsets and advance...and players leave it all on the court. So...Lee won by one but they won. I think the thing that concerns me the most with Lee is the slow starts and the foul shooting. Lee was 4-10 at the line last night. With their size and George...they should get to the line a lot more and need to shoot a much better percentage.

East Rock will be a tough challenge on Friday night...that's for sure.

Keith I agree! Vaughn really stepped up big for Lee last night. He hit a huge three to tie the game and a free throw to put them ahead. I still think George has to be the guy to really take charge...especially now. Seeing others starting to step up in clutch situations more is nice to see.

Also...as far as the score. We are now in the time of year where coaches run strategies to pull out upsets and advance...and players leave it all on the court. So...Lee won by one but they won. I think the thing that concerns me the most with Lee is the slow starts and the foul shooting. Lee was 4-10 at the line last night. With their size and George...they should get to the line a lot more and need to shoot a much better percentage.

East Rock will be a tough challenge on Friday night...that's for sure.
You got that right. Even though they are the 2 seed, I think they are the favorite in this tournament. The haven't lost in a long time- since before Christmas IIRC, and the games they lost were against good competition (Spotswood, Madison, Page). Lee has got to put 4 quarters together to win this game, which is something that has plagued them most of the year.

I was surprised to see in the paper that George only got to the foul line once last night.

George has a tendency to float on the perimeter a lot and not attack the basket. I agree that he needs to use his 6'7 frame and get to the free throw line more but also the coaches need to design more offensive sets that force him to get inside. With George and Vaughn both being 6'7-the two of them should be tough to handle for any opposing team inside.

I am not normally a fan of sending too many teams on to the next level, so you could argue that advancing four out of just a seven-team conference is overkill. However, in this case, the four teams left are all quality teams and will represent the conference well. So knowing that all four will advance beyond next Tuesday is fitting and no matter how far any of them go after that, at least they will all know that they had their shot.

George doesnt command the ball on the block. He wouldnt know a drop step if it was introduced to him. He is a product of AAU hoops. Dribble drive and throw it up and beg for a foul. You dont get to the line that way.

I long for the days of a back to the basket post player that drops stepped your arse ... AND 1:eek:

George doesnt command the ball on the block. He wouldnt know a drop step if it was introduced to him. He is a product of AAU hoops. Dribble drive and throw it up and beg for a foul. You dont get to the line that way.

I long for the days of a back to the basket post player that drops stepped your arse ... AND 1:eek:
I try not to be too critical of the kids, but you make a valid point about the types of products AAU produces... And i too miss those days you referred to in your last sentence

Foul calls are tough to come by in AAU...this could explain the lack of post presence these days..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT