ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 State Championship: 14-0 Phoebus Vs 13-1 Salem

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve seen Salem play LCA which was first game of season so i don’t put much in to it. Also watched them play Tusky and some of EC Glass. Doesn’t take much watching to see the trenches are small. I definitely plan to watch atleast 5 more games if available this week.
I've watched several Phoebus games. #0 is a handful. You definitely need to make sure he's on the ground before you think the play is over. Been a long time since I've seen someone get as low as he does and keeps churning

Reactions: Madlion920
I've watched several Phoebus games. #0 is a handful. You definitely need to make sure he's on the ground before you think the play is over. Been a long time since I've seen someone get as low as he does and keeps churning
He squats 600+Lb at 5’6. They call him Bull and he plays just like one. Very strong for his size and keeps moving forward at all times.

Reactions: SFUWO
Are we really the best team in history? Because last year we were better with Jordan Bass and Florida McMullin added to this year’s team. I’ll say we turned the corner at a good time and are playing the best football we’ve played all season.
You weren't Class 4 last year.

Reactions: ThevinStealberg
Facts over feelings with me. Only teams in the state that can line up and match up with Phoebus trenches are Freedom, Springs, and Maury. Having the trenches is number 1 when beating Phoebus. Just ask Kg fans…i remember one up here saying something like “wow no one told us how physical Phoebus OL was” after Phoebus first drive. Phoebus coaches put a big emphasis on the trenches after that bad loss to Lafayette in the Covid season and it has shown in the past 3 years since.
Like I said, Saturday will sort out the facts and the feelings on the field as it should. When you referenced Lafayette, I was wondering what the explanation for Blacksburg in 2016 was? Good luck to both teams next week. Not sure how many other championship games in any classification puts together the combined number of titles that Phoebus and Salem bring to Lynchburg next week.

That was my point. Running the same offense for 40 years and winning 9/10 titles off of said offense is nothing to dismiss. Even when the game changed, they stuck to their script and it's remained successful. Even though you are a Phantom, I appreciate you providing an unbiased (as possible) perspective on the game.
Thank you for saying so. It really got on my nerves in ‘15 when no one would acknowledge that Salem was a proper football program. I’ve been a Phantom since 1980. I also watched 2 completely unknown Gar-Field and Culpeper teams walk into Darling Stadium and stun the Hampton Crabbers by a total of 4 points. I don’t want that happening to the Phantoms. I try to demonstrate appreciation for Riverheads even though they have played A & AA because winning that much football i
You gave a score prediction of 17-16 so i asked have you seen Salem play? Please answer without the essay about picking Phoebus in 01 and Salem in 15. It’s the same thing every post
I feel like you are trying to control how I exercise my freedom of speaking freely or choosing to remain silent. My score prediction is not meant for accuracy. It is completely symbolic. Of course you and I both want Phoebus to win. Winning means that, at the very least, we outscore the Spartans by 1 point. I don’t believe that a program with 10 titles is deserving to be declared a 3, 4 or 5 touchdown underdog to anyone. Just like we want other fans to respect our 41% hold on the titles that we have competed for over the last 22 years, our 52 game nation leading win streak and current 34 game state win streak, and to be the leaders that our young men have become, there are times when it is wise to be respectful first. Salem is a much more important opponent than the Stone Bridge Bulldogs ever were. I will not be disrespecting them.

I’ll add my two cents. Maybe Phoebus wins but maybe Salem scores just enough.

However, Peyton Lewis just ripped off 370 yards yesterday in the state semis. He’s the best player in 4A.

Allen and Cole are 2 of the best LBs in 4A no matter who’s counting. When Lewis is in, they are just plain sick.

I think this is going to be a low scoring game like Phoebus

Reactions: AntGZee
Like Phoebus-Warwick. (I know Salem lost to LcA but LCA has the single best lakyer
In VA regardless of classification in Gideon Davidson. Not even close. That good).

I’m not a Salem fan. My point is Salem has two sublime stars and the usual cast of disciplined ballers that would ordinarily be enough to win 4A. I get Phoebus is a special team, particularly on D. This makes for a great clash. I’d predict Phoebus 20-17 but it could just easily be Salem 20-17.

Certainly respect your opinion Bruiser. As far as running backs go in the state, I usually list 4 that stand out above the rest. In no particular order. Feel free to have at it ranking them or adding someone else. Just my opinion, respectfully.

- Gideon Davidson
- Harry Dalton (as a RB not QB)
- Jeff Overton Jr.
- Peyton Lewis

Phoebus will control the trenches — Salem will have a similar problem that had against LCa except Phoebus has better athletes and more dogs across the board upfront. Salem has the advantage in the skill positions and second level so it’s going to be an exciting matchup but the old montage says “if we score we might win if they don’t score they won’t win” give me the phantoms by 7 or less in a 21-14 or 14-7 barnburner game.
I disagree. Phoebus is elite on the back end as well. Just ask King George. Their offense was blowing everyone out. Against Phoebus - the offense manage 3 points and 84 yards total offense. Salem is a quality, well coached team though and I expect them to ball out, but so will Phoebus...

Reactions: rainman17 and SFUWO
I disagree. Phoebus is elite on the back end as well. Just ask King George. Their offense was blowing everyone out. Against Phoebus - the offense manage 3 points and 84 yards total offense. Salem is a quality, well coached team though and I expect them to ball out, but so will Phoebus...

Not knocking how elite they are on the back end I just feel their front 7 gets more notoriety and is better then their back 7 . No knock on the phantoms at all but their strength as many have noted starts in the trenches. I think salems back end is athletic and has a few playmakers the one listed by you and others in this thread. I think the game is determined by the Players and not opinions so I value what you say and will be looking at who excels this weekend for both teams.

Like I said, Saturday will sort out the facts and the feelings on the field as it should. When you referenced Lafayette, I was wondering what the explanation for Blacksburg in 2016 was? Good luck to both teams next week. Not sure how many other championship games in any classification puts together the combined number of titles that Phoebus and Salem bring to Lynchburg next week.
Lol 2016…Just know the 2023 Phoebus team will be the ones in Lynchburg Saturday.

I have asked this question about Blacksburg before. As for the 2016 Phantoms if you go back and check their record that season I am certain they were not undefeated and the defense was not as dominate as in their other title winning years. Blacksburg was 5-5 and went on a 5 game winning streak. Did they have a injured player return? That was no typical 5-5 team that won the D3 title. The only other factor is, of course, Cole Beck, but Phoebus kept him contained for the most part in the 2nd half.

I have asked this question about Blacksburg before. As for the 2016 Phantoms if you go back and check their record that season I am certain they were not undefeated and the defense was not as dominate as in their other title winning years. Blacksburg was 5-5 and went on a 5 game winning streak. Did they have a injured player return? That was no typical 5-5 team that won the D3 title. The only other factor is, of course, Cole Beck, but Phoebus kept him contained for the most part in the 2nd half.
That Blacksburg team started out slow that season. The coach at the time was doing what Pulaski (Kentucky I think). They were going for it on 4th down no matter where they were on the field and doing onside kicks. They were 2-4 to start the season. I don't know what week they stopped but they were definitely better once they did

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
To the dumbest poster this year
Fall Down GIF by CBS

I have asked this question about Blacksburg before. As for the 2016 Phantoms if you go back and check their record that season I am certain they were not undefeated and the defense was not as dominate as in their other title winning years. Blacksburg was 5-5 and went on a 5 game winning streak. Did they have an injured player return? That was no typical 5-5 team that won the D3 title. The only other factor is, of course, Cole Beck, but Phoebus kept him contained for the most part in the 2nd half.
Yeah man i don’t get why anyone would bring up the 2016 Phoebus team. They were nowhere near this good. That team got beat 44-0 and 15-0 consecutive weeks in that season.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Not knocking how elite they are on the back end I just feel their front 7 gets more notoriety and is better then their back 7 . No knock on the phantoms at all but their strength as many have noted starts in the trenches. I think salems back end is athletic and has a few playmakers the one listed by you and others in this thread. I think the game is determined by the Players and not opinions so I value what you say and will be looking at who excels this weekend for both teams.
Everyone is good if you have 14 players.

Yeah man i don’t get why anyone would bring up the 2016 Phoebus team. They were nowhere near this good. That team got beat 44-0 and 15-0 consecutive weeks in that season.
Just asked because you said Lafayette caused a change and question was why losing to Blacksburg would not have yielded similar considerations to change. Not surprised you didn't get it or chose to ignore it given your focus and knowledge seems limited to All Phoebus All the time.

Just asked because you said Lafayette caused a change and question was why losing to Blacksburg would not have yielded similar considerations to change. Not surprised you didn't get it or chose to ignore it given your focus and knowledge seems limited to All Phoebus All the time.
This is what you said “When you referenced Lafayette, I was wondering what the explanation for Blacksburg in 2016 was?” That clearly reads as “what was the explanation for the Blacksburg L”…next time type what you really want to say and don’t leave it so vague. It took a new group of kids that decided in youth ball they wanted to bring Phoebus back. They just thought they had it figured out and Lafayette was just a stepping stone

Pulling for Phoebus and the 757...tons of respect for Salem, who has a knack for coming up big in the biggest games...two incredible programs!

Always had the most respect for Phoebus. Pulling for them all the way. I see Phoebus winning 24-10. That’s my score prediction.

The Battle of Champions in C4. I'll keep it short and sweet
Phoebus wins if they keep Lewis from breaking more than two 20+ yard runs and the QB throws a TD pass.
Salem wins if they win the TO battle and their QB throws a TD pass.

First team to 20 points wins. Very hard to pick against the Phoebus DL. If anyone can beat the Phantoms though, it's Salem.

Phoebus 17 Salem 13

Last edited:
Reactions: RKE Fan
Are we really the best team in history? Because last year we were better with Jordan Bass and Florida McMullin added to this year’s team. I’ll say we turned the corner at a good time and are playing the best football we’ve played all season.
You guys may not have an individual player as good as Bass was but I think you guys are a better overall team this year. The OL/DL play is better this year and the run game is better as well.

That’s bad honestly. This will be the fastest, strongest and most physical team that Salem has seen all year.
it's only bad if it doesn't work. Salem has won 10 championships doing just that. They have won championships even when they are the smaller, slower, weaker, and lesser physical team. Ball control and great defense is a recipe for success at any level. That has been their game plan for 40 years and will not change this weekend. They might go spread in obvious pass situations but that's it. They may not win doing what they do but they will definitely do what they do.

Last edited:
Phoebus wins if they keep Lewis from breaking more than two 20+ yard runs and the QB throws a TD pass.

First team to 20 points wins. Very hard to pick against the Phoebus DL. If anyone can beat the Phantoms though, it's Salem.

Phoebus 17 Salem 13
This is somewhat close to what I was thinking. I definitely see a low scoring affair. Although, for all the talk about the defense of Phoebus (which is deserved to say the least), it may very well come down to how good Salem's defense plays. I could see this looking like the 2015 championship contest against Lake Taylor. In that game, Salem's defense played extremely well and kept LT's high scoring offense to their lowest point total of the season. Offensively, they just put faith in their system of execution, lack of TO's, and penalty free football knowing they could make LT pay with just one small mistake. LT made really only two that I saw that game and both led to Salem scores. That ultimately put them in position to win it in OT with a FG. These are two different teams than those for sure, but if Salem's defense plays like they are capable of playing, I could easily see a similar result to 2015.

Phoebus 17 Salem 13
I think it will be the team that controls emotions (stupid 15 yard flags) takes advantage of good field position and puts points.the On board. Who makes the better halftime adjustments. Let's be realistic... both team loaded with future college stars. Throw out the win streak of Phoebus Throw out the records of win losses. It one and done time. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day. Gonna be well worth the price of admission. Looks like 65 degrees no rain. If it comes down to a field goal...remember.. its college goal posts

Reactions: one man and SFUWO
This is somewhat close to what I was thinking. I definitely see a low scoring affair. Although, for all the talk about the defense of Phoebus (which is deserved to say the least), it may very well come down to how good Salem's defense plays. I could see this looking like the 2015 championship contest against Lake Taylor. In that game, Salem's defense played extremely well and kept LT's high scoring offense to their lowest point total of the season. Offensively, they just put faith in their system of execution, lack of TO's, and penalty free football knowing they could make LT pay with just one small mistake. LT made really only two that I saw that game and both led to Salem scores. That ultimately put them in position to win it in OT with a FG. These are two different teams than those for sure, but if Salem's defense plays like they are capable of playing, I could easily see a similar result to 2015.
😴😴😴

Just like 2014 could happen all over again. I don’t understand these comparisons at all. Totally different teams.

😴😴😴

Just like 2014 could happen all over again. I don’t understand these comparisons at all. Totally different teams.
A number of things contributed to 2014. First Lake Taylor was exceptionally good. Second Salem had some significant injuries to key players. I have always thought those injuries contributed to Lake Taylor's margin of victory.

😴😴😴

It was an observation, no different than the countless ones, all generally alike, that you have shared on this board. Good news is only a few more days and we all will get to see who may be dining on steak or crow if they made predictions.

Reactions: RKE Fan
From an outsider’s point of view:

Was very fortunate to have seen the ELITE field of C4 teams in person this year. Salem and Tusky were a part of that group. Saturday was probably the worst I’ve ever seen Salem play and execute. With that being said, their scheme is tried and proven and you would be a fool to count them out.

A few cons

1.) Tusky had extremely little team speed and I thought Salem would out athlete them and run away with that game. I thought they’d run Lewis off tackle more (he would’ve probably had 500 yards rushing). I also thought Cole and Allen would feast on offense, but that never happened. Credit to Tusky, but I thought Salem had a lot of self inflicted struggles.

2.) Salem is smaller up front and I think that’ll negate a lot of the things they do well on Saturday. Phoebus is huge, college ready physically and very fast on the DL and if that slower Tusky team was able to penetrate, I see those 4 stars feasting at times (like they did against King George as the game goes on).

3. My brother Shabutie does his thing with the Roanoke area athletes and he has my upmost respect. We all can agree to disagree but I don’t see the hype with the young men on Salem’s defense. Allen and Cole have the attributes to be special but they’ll have to step it up on Saturday, especially the UGA commit. I hate being naggy, but McDowell (Dinwiddie), Charles Johnson (King George), Big Steveo (Phoebus), THE BEST Sophomore LB in VA Braylon Hood (Varina) and his biggest competition for that title Markel Dabney (Huguenot) ALL have something to say about the best LB in all C4.

4. I like Phoebus big. I think it’ll look similar to the Salem/Martinsburg games. I say Martinsburg because that’s the only team that I know of that has physically outmatched the Spartans and executed. Phoebus is SPECIAL.

Salem blitzed the linebackers too many times and Tusky capitalized on it by throwing the underneath route and gaining after the catch. If Salem chooses the right game plan, they will make this a game, but… If they don’t, they have a hard time straying from the wrong game plan!! As a whole, offensively and defensively, even though we won, the game plan against Tusky wasn’t that great!! Lewis is just playing that good right now and the defense is good enough to overcome some bad decision making. Had we ran more off tackle, thrown more wheels and screens and not given up so many underneath routes, on defense, etc. score would have been a lot more in Salems favor!! They really didn’t run the ball well against us!! Just an opinion!!

No other championship game comes close to the 19 that Salem and Phoebus have combined. The next closest would be Class 2 because Riverheads has 10 state championships alone, not sure how many Radford has, if any.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT