ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 State Championship: 14-0 Phoebus Vs 13-1 Salem

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No disrespect to Tusky, but they are nowhere near the caliber of team Phoebus is. Salem is well coached and they dont beat themselves. Lewis is special. Phoebus' defense is elite on the front and back end. They held a King George team that beat dinwiddie and Varina in the playoffs in back to back weeks, and KG was averaging 46 points a gm but was held to 3 points on offense. Im interested in what Salem can do this Saturday. This will be the best defense that they have faced all year. I dont think any one player will dominate this Phoebus team. Time will tell though...

From an outsider’s point of view:

Was very fortunate to have seen the ELITE field of C4 teams in person this year. Salem and Tusky were a part of that group. Saturday was probably the worst I’ve ever seen Salem play and execute. With that being said, their scheme is tried and proven and you would be a fool to count them out.

A few cons

1.) Tusky had extremely little team speed and I thought Salem would out athlete them and run away with that game. I thought they’d run Lewis off tackle more (he would’ve probably had 500 yards rushing). I also thought Cole and Allen would feast on offense, but that never happened. Credit to Tusky, but I thought Salem had a lot of self inflicted struggles.

2.) Salem is smaller up front and I think that’ll negate a lot of the things they do well on Saturday. Phoebus is huge, college ready physically and very fast on the DL and if that slower Tusky team was able to penetrate, I see those 4 stars feasting at times (like they did against King George as the game goes on).

3. My brother Shabutie does his thing with the Roanoke area athletes and he has my upmost respect. We all can agree to disagree but I don’t see the hype with the young men on Salem’s defense. Allen and Cole have the attributes to be special but they’ll have to step it up on Saturday, especially the UGA commit. I hate being naggy, but McDowell (Dinwiddie), Charles Johnson (King George), Big Steveo (Phoebus), THE BEST Sophomore LB in VA Braylon Hood (Varina) and his biggest competition for that title Markel Dabney (Huguenot) ALL have something to say about the best LB in all C4.

4. I like Phoebus big. I think it’ll look similar to the Salem/Martinsburg games. I say Martinsburg because that’s the only team that I know of that has physically outmatched the Spartans and executed. Phoebus is SPECIAL.

You have finally seen the light lol. I was nervous about bringing up Martinsburg. I didn’t want to ruffle any feathers lol

No other championship game comes close to the 19 that Salem and Phoebus have combined. The next closest would be Class 2 because Riverheads has 10 state championships alone, not sure how many Radford has, if any.
Radford won Group AA state championships in 1971 and 1972, so that game has a total of 12.

Reactions: VolNation85
Yeah and all i keep being told is Salem has run the same system for 40 years. I remember those Phoebus days running at 10 in the box Vs Lake Taylor. I’m so glad we’ve evolved.
If you are at the game Saturday you will exactly what @southbottomU and others have been saying about Salem's offense.

You have finally seen the light lol. I was nervous about bringing up Martinsburg. I didn’t want to ruffle any feathers lol
People want the sugarcoated /PC answer. You peep you’re my only engagement for this post.

Do your thing bruh, you be speaking facts and you’re respectful about it.

That would be the closest comparison. Martinsburg's DL is as good as any. They returned everyone of them this yr too. So Salem has seen something like Phoebus recently. Just not this season. Salem will do what they do and if it doesn't work, they will congratulate Phoebus after the game and move on to next season.
13 other schools failed to beat Phoebus this yr. They have a 34 game win streak not by luck. They are a great team. If anyone has followed Salem through the yrs knows. They are not changing their offense in one week. That would be even more devastating. Let's try something Phoebus is use to seeing and Salem is not use to running. Makes total sense

No other championship game comes close to the 19 that Salem and Phoebus have combined. The next closest would be Class 2 because Riverheads has 10 state championships alone, not sure how many Radford has, if any.
I did not think any in the current year would approach the combined total even recognizing Riverheads' strong championship numbers. I should have been more clear that I was thinking in all time terms. My guess is there are not many, if any, and if they do exist they likely involve Hampton as one of the contenders.

Reactions: VolNation85
I did not think any in the current year would approach the combined total even recognizing Riverheads' strong championship numbers. I should have been more clear that I was thinking in all time terms. My guess is there are not many, if any, and if they do exist they likely involve Hampton as one of the contenders.
Hampton has 17 total championships. Alcoa in Tennessee has won 9 in a row and just won it last week. So Riverheads will have the second longest current title run nationaly

Last edited:
Absolutely!

Reactions: cutnjump
That would be the closest comparison. Martinsburg's DL is as good as any. They returned everyone of them this yr too. So Salem has seen something like Phoebus recently. Just not this season. Salem will do what they do and if it doesn't work, they will congratulate Phoebus after the game and move on to next season.
13 other schools failed to beat Phoebus this yr. They have a 34 game win streak not by luck. They are a great team. If anyone has followed Salem through the yrs knows. They are not changing their offense in one week. That would be even more devastating. Let's try something Phoebus is use to seeing and Salem is not use to running. Makes total sense

Each week is a new gameplan I thought. Ive watched Phoebus install new things in playoffs week by week. But hey if Salem wants to play to. Phoebus’ strength then so be it. Just don’t cross that 50 in pregame!

Each week is a new gameplan I thought. Ive watched Phoebus install new things in playoffs week by week. But hey if Salem wants to play to. Phoebus’ strength then so be it. Just don’t cross that 50 in pregame!
Why shouldn't Salem cross the 50 before the game begins? Strange.
Is there some sort of threat involved here?

I'm sure they will have a game plan. They are just not going to throw something in that they haven't run. Maybe a wrinkle here or there. I've watched several of Phoebus's games. Nothing anyone else has run has worked. Just add Salem to the list. Can't be any worse than KG 1 decent play then 3 passes to dirt or out of bounds. Or Warhill snapping the ball into the man in motion.

Reactions: gwb16
Both of these teams come from deep roots, both are well coached, both have great traditions, and both will win some downs, and both will lose some downs. Turnovers may very well be the key.
Remember this though; you don't need to be the best team in the State on Saturday; but be just good enough to win this Saturday. It's my hope that I can change my name.

• Love
🤣🤣🤣🤣

teams got a bad habit of crossing that 50 pregame to talk trash or play fake tough guys.
Salem won't cross the 50 to talk trash in pregame. They respect all opponents and just play ball win or lose.

• Love
🤣🤣🤣🤣

teams got a bad habit of crossing that 50 pregame to talk trash or play fake tough guys.
Your statement or warning shows
You know nothing about Salem football. Maybe that trash talking across the 50 is something you have seen or are familiar with. Not part of the programs culture at Salem

Your statement or warning shows
You know nothing about Salem football. Maybe that trash talking across the 50 is something you have seen or are familiar with. Not part of the programs culture at Salem
Very true. I remember when we played at Salem in the 2019 Region Championship game, a certain Salem star RB was talking trash to one our players as we went into the locker room at halftime. Coach Holter immediately checked him and told him to shut his mouth (paraphrasing) or he wouldn't play second half. As much as I get tired of seeing Salem win LOL, I have to admin that they are a 1st class program.

Last edited:
I haven't posted on here in years, but this thread is funny. I'm laughing at this guys infatuation with LT vs. Salem 2015. Salem played well and forced the LT QB to make plays and he just didn't make them, as he wasn't Shiheem Johnson. 2014 LT and 2015 LT were two completely different teams. It's 2023 none of the kids playing probably don't even have a clue that happened in 2015 or 2014 unless they have family members on that team. Just banners hanging in a gym.

I haven't posted on here in years, but this thread is funny. I'm laughing at this guys infatuation with LT vs. Salem 2015. Salem played well and forced the LT QB to make plays and he just didn't make them, as he wasn't Shiheem Johnson. 2014 LT and 2015 LT were two completely different teams. It's 2023 none of the kids playing probably don't even have a clue that happened in 2015 or 2014 unless they have family members on that team. Just banners hanging in a gym.
The posts concerning 2015 came from a Phoebus fan.

I'm going to pick Salem because I don't think their seniors are going to go out taking the L. That and this is a big game for a freshman QB. Just my gut. I think they're the better team for four quarters which is all it takes.
You obviously havent seen Phoebus play...lol The freshman is good and has been groomed to run the show. He played alot during the season and already has wins in the playoffs over two undefeated teams. Phoebus will be fine. The question is can Salem run and drive down the field. Noone has been able to yet against this Phoebus defense but I guess we will see what happens on saturday.

Bro- the facts are the facts. We won 2 straight in 77 and 78 and we will getting pay back for the 79 loss.

I agree. Teams are different every yr

You obviously havent seen Phoebus play...lol The freshman is good and has been groomed to run the show. He played alot during the season and already has wins in the playoffs over two undefeated teams. Phoebus will be fine. The question is can Salem run and drive down the field. Noone has been able to yet against this Phoebus defense but I guess we will see what happens on saturday.
It will be interesting if Salem ends up with more passing yards than KG

I have seen Phoebus play. I'm not dissing them at all. In fact, I picked them to make it this far. I said weeks ago, I heard Phoebus was putting Salem on the clock. That's a nasty defense, and there is little bit of luck involved having a QB go down, but having the freshman. I would typically go with a nasty defense and a little bit of luck to win a championship.

It's more so, like I said, just a gut feeling. People tend to overlook the little things in games like this. Salem has some seniors that are pretty good and they've been together. They got punched in the mouth earlier in the year. I don't think they're going to let that happen again. Moreover, there is no substitute for experience. Still a freshman QB. This will be a test for him.

Which one of you is the one in the stupid blue head band and which one is in the stupid boonie hat?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT