ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 State Championship: 14-0 Phoebus Vs 13-1 Salem

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have seen Phoebus play. I'm not dissing them at all. In fact, I picked them to make it this far. I said weeks ago, I heard Phoebus was putting Salem on the clock. That's a nasty defense, and there is little bit of luck involved having a QB go down, but having the freshman. I would typically go with a nasty defense and a little bit of luck to win a championship.

It's more so, like I said, just a gut feeling. People tend to overlook the little things in games like this. Salem has some seniors that are pretty good and they've been together. They got punched in the mouth earlier in the year. I don't think they're going to let that happen again. Moreover, there is no substitute for experience. Still a freshman QB. This will be a test for him.
I’m so lost about the little things you mention. Like Phoebus doesn’t have some seniors that are pretty good that have been together. It legit makes zero sense. Especially since this group of seniors at Phoebus has gone 43-1 with 2 state titles. And regarding the QB…Rik Banks has plenty experience and is a lot better than your average freshman.

Last edited:
I’m so lost about the little things you mention. Like Phoebus doesn’t have some seniors that are pretty good that have been together. It legit makes zero sense. Especially since this group of seniors at Phoebus has gone 43-1 with 2 state titles.

That's because you're reading into it too much. Gut feeling.

Each week is a new gameplan I thought. Ive watched Phoebus install new things in playoffs week by week. But hey if Salem wants to play to. Phoebus’ strength then so be it. Just don’t cross that 50 in pregame!
You're still not getting the point. Trust me I've been where you are. It's one of those things where you don't know until you know. It doesn't make sense, but Salem never has to change their style of play. Not even for Phoebus. I know it sounds crazy but until you see their offense in person, how balanced it is, how every run is downhill out of the I, and then they hit you with the play action pass man I'm telling you I still have nightmares. Now Phoebus might have no problem but rest assured being good at stopping the run and being able to stop Salem's run are 2 totally different things. Also, going back to Salem's O-line size, they play a style of football that takes size out of the equation. Their o-line is not going to be in pass set letting Phoebus bull rush up the field. They fire off the ball, and they are nasty. Good luck.

One thing I can tell you that does make me a little nervous is this nonsense about no chirping across the 50. That's all fine and well, but need mean dog Salem to win this one. Not the county pretty boys that get their tails whipped by Martinsburg.

I have seen Phoebus play. I'm not dissing them at all. In fact, I picked them to make it this far. I said weeks ago, I heard Phoebus was putting Salem on the clock. That's a nasty defense, and there is little bit of luck involved having a QB go down, but having the freshman. I would typically go with a nasty defense and a little bit of luck to win a championship.

It's more so, like I said, just a gut feeling. People tend to overlook the little things in games like this. Salem has some seniors that are pretty good and they've been together. They got punched in the mouth earlier in the year. I don't think they're going to let that happen again. Moreover, there is no substitute for experience. Still a freshman QB. This will be a test for him.
Every game is a test. How can Phoebus have Salem on the clock without knowing whi would advance to the title gm? Thats funny. Phoebus offense is good too and they return 16 starters from last years championship team. The freshman is a baller. I can see Salem running it on Phoebus consistently. They will try. Phoebus has size, speed, and they can run or pass. We shall see when the game playout...

My niece's boyfriend that is in the band told me the installed Jet Sweep and Rocket Toss to #22 this week. Also look for RPO's to #6 and #23. Salem's OL has been working on Zone blocking Covered or uncovered.

Every game is a test. How can Phoebus have Salem on the clock without knowing whi would advance to the title gm? Thats funny. Phoebus offense is good too and they return 16 starters from last years championship team. The freshman is a baller. I can see Salem running it on Phoebus consistently. They will try. Phoebus has size, speed, and they can run or pass. We shall see when the game playout...

You can go look. I said weeks ago that I heard Phoebus was putting Salem on the clock. That the brackets didn't even matter.

You can go look. I said weeks ago that I heard Phoebus was putting Salem on the clock. That the brackets didn't even matter.
Thats dumb. Why would Phoebus mention Salem? They didnt even win it lastyear. Phoebus dont call out teams. They play who is on thier schedule. Maybe teams need the extra motivation...who cares. On saturday they will line up and play. I got Phoebus 31 - 16. Lewis is 85% of the offense. Phoebus aint Tusky. Salem aint gonna be able to run it down Phoebus throats. Salem has to key on multiple weapons on Phoebus offense and their size on the OL. Anything can happen but I think Phoebus experience, size and team speed will be the difference. LCA beat Salem by running 95% on the time. Phoebus can run and pass.

Thats dumb. Why would Phoebus mention Salem? They didnt even win it lastyear. Phoebus dont call out teams. They play who is on thier schedule. Maybe teams need the extra motivation...who cares. On saturday they will line up and play. I got Phoebus 31 - 16. Lewis is 85% of the offense. Phoebus aint Tusky. Salem aint gonna be able to run it down Phoebus throats. Salem has to key on multiple weapons on Phoebus offense and their size on the OL. Anything can happen but I think Phoebus experience, size and team speed will be the difference. LCA beat Salem by running 95% on the time. Phoebus can run and pass.

Look...All I can tell you is what I heard.

Exactly. Salem hasn’t been on our radar at all this year. Only playing in Lynchburg

Reactions: SFUWO
You're still not getting the point. Trust me I've been where you are. It's one of those things where you don't know until you know. It doesn't make sense, but Salem never has to change their style of play. Not even for Phoebus. I know it sounds crazy but until you see their offense in person, how balanced it is, how every run is downhill out of the I, and then they hit you with the play action pass man I'm telling you I still have nightmares. Now Phoebus might have no problem but rest assured being good at stopping the run and being able to stop Salem's run are 2 totally different things. Also, going back to Salem's O-line size, they play a style of football that takes size out of the equation. Their o-line is not going to be in pass set letting Phoebus bull rush up the field. They fire off the ball, and they are nasty. Good luck.
Sounds good.

I know that. So they better not come out with some dog in them. If not, could get ugly.
The program doesn't get caught up in pregame antics or even bulletin board material. They show up do their warmups, go back to the locker room. Then come out to play football. Their will be 4 quarters of hard hitting football and the better team will win.

The program doesn't get caught up in pregame antics or even bulletin board material. They show up do their warmups, go back to the locker room. Then come out to play football. Their will be 4 quarters of hard hitting football and the better team will win.

I edited that like 20 something minutes ago. I think you get the point.

You couldn't fit a 10 penny nail up the behinds of either of these fan bases on here the way they all puckered up over this game 🤣. I love it!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CavsGrad
I haven't posted on here in years, but this thread is funny. I'm laughing at this guys infatuation with LT vs. Salem 2015. Salem played well and forced the LT QB to make plays and he just didn't make them, as he wasn't Shiheem Johnson. 2014 LT and 2015 LT were two completely different teams. It's 2023 none of the kids playing probably don't even have a clue that happened in 2015 or 2014 unless they have family members on that team. Just banners hanging in a gym.
Dang! You are an old school VirginiaPreps poster.

Just like when people were going on about the KG WRs being unstoppable. I thought, well, yeah, I've heard that before...They still good.
I think KG receivers are very good and they have great speed. The punt returner that scored and their kick returners played great. Their skill position players can start on any team at the next level. But you do not build football teams around wide receivers and kick returners because if your quarterback is running for his life and starts hearing footsteps from getting hit so hard then wide receivers are just running routes to nowhere. The linemen will always rule football.

Salem and Phoebus winning program is no different than any winning program. "We're gonna take it to 'em." Direct quote from Salem's quarterback prior to the 2015 championship game with Lake Taylor during a recorded interview with the local news station. Remember VirginiaPreps had them as underdogs. The difference between the schools that win championships like the Highland Springs, Hamptons, Riverheads, Salems and Phantoms of the world is that they believe they are going to beat their opponent long before the game starts. I don't think any program has a goal of creating bulletin board material. Saying and thinking that you are going to win is the only acceptable attitude. You do not want your program making the national news for being the Jamestown Eagles.

Reddick is a problem. I will leave it at that :)
Their entire DL is the real deal! Idk if I have seen a HS team in Va with a DL as dominant as the 2023 Phantoms. All 4 guys will be playing D1 on saturdays the next few years.

Their entire DL is the real deal! Idk if I have seen a HS team in Va with a DL as dominant as the 2023 Phantoms. All 4 guys will be playing D1 on saturdays the next few years.
agree, i really like him

When I said that they don't get caught up with bulletin board material it was interference to using it for motivation. I was not clear with my post. I was mainly focused on the silly antics of a team not respecting another team and going on their side of the field in pregame.

When I said that they don't get caught up with bulletin board material it was interference to using it for motivation. I was not clear with my post. I was mainly focused on the silly antics of a team not respecting another team and going on their side of the field in pregame.
I understand where you are coming from. I was just reiterating that if bulletin board material is what gets a team going then they are not one of the programs that is winning multiple championships. You made great points. I think the Phoebus vs Salem, Freedom/Highland Springs and Maury/Stone Bridge are not only proof that we are living in a simulation being watched by alien overlords that double as the Gods of Virginia High School Football but deserving of a let’s just let these 3 games play out mentality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT