ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 State Championship: 14-0 Phoebus Vs 13-1 Salem

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldnt pick apart JUST that last defensive play, Salem had more opportunities to put points on the board then Phoebus did, but didn’t execute….. Blocked xp, dropped td, dropped screen, (who knows how many yards that would of been, definitely doesn’t score with that Phoebus back end speed though) A blocked field goal and then a missed field goal (more then likely do to the previous blocks). Phoebus was in their heads with all that pressure on sp teams. After salems score, I said they left too much time for Phoebus, but ya gotta score there for sure. After the sack you can’t give Phoebus time to dial something up, (no timeout) it was just a great throw and catch by a guy they kept in check all game till then. All in all, a great game, ya win some, ya lose some!

I just pulled up that last play. We were in cover two. Persinger was pressing, 6 in the box, #23 and #6 Salem players covering 4yds opposite side of Persinger and 2 safeties deep, Logan and MartinThat’s cover 2 zone man, they brought in #23 in place of Lewis which there isn’t a problem with, but like we both agree, the alignment is all wrong. Maybe they were supposed to be in cover 3 but the alignment says cover 2?? You can’t be 4yds off the line of scrimmage and be one of the cover3 guys!!!
Coach stated that he takes the blame for the play and he had them in the wrong position.

Coach stated that he takes the blame for the play and he had them in the wrong position.
I love people that can look at a defensive set and immediately tell what the defense is, cover 2, cover 3, man to man, hot dogs with ketchup and fries. Whatever. Seriously, that analytical ability is a special talent. Do you know why this does not matter with modern football? Execution or the failure to execute. Why do defensive back and safeties, being the last line of defense, continue to allow speedsters to run past them and get behind them over and over and over again? You see it in high school, college and sadly, the NFL. I don't care what defense you are in if the defense allows someone with the speed of #2 Keyontae Gray to get free multiple times it only takes one connection to get burned. It had happened earlier in the game and the only thing that saved Salem from getting burned before was the battle going on with the Phantom and Spartan linemen. Linemen will always rule football and defensive backs will, evidently, eventually always get burnt.

Phoebus will control the trenches — Salem will have a similar problem that had against LCa except Phoebus has better athletes and more dogs across the board upfront. Salem has the advantage in the skill positions and second level so it’s going to be an exciting matchup but the old montage says “if we score we might win if they don’t score they won’t win” give me the phantoms by 7 or less in a 21-14 or 14-7 barnburner game.
Never, ever attempt to change the mind of the determined fool. Why would anyone believe that a football program with the history of the Salem Spartans of Salem, Virginia will walk into any stadium going after their 11th football title and suddenly forget how to play football? Earlier this year the Warhill Lions were shutdown for nearly 3 complete quarters by, of all the teams in Virginia; the Churchland Truckers. You are forgiven if you have never heard of them. Someone expected that after this showing, the Lions were going to suddenly rise up and turn the 9x state champ, Phoebus Phantoms into the Churchland Truckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!!!! Help me! Congrats on your perfect prediction. I went with a 1 point win for Phoebus and I was right until both defenses faltered late in the 4th. But they are forgiven as neither had faced the total pressures to perform that they were under during this contest during the season. Great job to you! 🎉🥳👏🎊

Reactions: Kilroy25
I just want to keep it 100. Salem did nothing wrong that final drive on defense. Phoebus just made a play. Just happens sometimes in football.
While Phoebus did make a great play and a gutsy call.....there's no sense in Salem not being in a prevent defense there.

I love people that can look at a defensive set and immediately tell what the defense is, cover 2, cover 3, man to man, hot dogs with ketchup and fries. Whatever. Seriously, that analytical ability is a special talent. Do you know why this does not matter with modern football? Execution or the failure to execute. Why do defensive back and safeties, being the last line of defense, continue to allow speedsters to run past them and get behind them over and over and over again? You see it in high school, college and sadly, the NFL. I don't care what defense you are in if the defense allows someone with the speed of #2 Keyontae Gray to get free multiple times it only takes one connection to get burned. It had happened earlier in the game and the only thing that saved Salem from getting burned before was the battle going on with the Phantom and Spartan linemen. Linemen will always rule football and defensive backs will, evidently, eventually always get burnt.
Just two old guys talking football because we love the game. No more no less. You can’t tell it on these forums, but there’s no malice in my discussion. Simply talking shop!! Phoebus defense was just that dang good!! Salems defense was just that dang good. Perfect pass capitalized on the wrong coverage called. It is what it is. Like I said earlier in the this post, I’m more disappointed in the offensive play calling more so than the defense on one play!! Maybe the OC lost confidence in the qb?? Dunno?? It’s kinda been a pattern these days in the play calling!! All in all, with Salems lack of a passing game in this game, even if it went to overtime, I feel Phoebus had a better chance of winning based on the play calling from Salem. This was a great game and Phoebus is the better team!! Congrats again to yall!!

Just two old guys talking football because we love the game. No more no less. You can’t tell it on these forums, but there’s no malice in my discussion. Simply talking shop!! Phoebus defense was just that dang good!! Salems defense was just that dang good. Perfect pass capitalized on the wrong coverage called. It is what it is. Like I said earlier in the this post, I’m more disappointed in the offensive play calling more so than the defense on one play!! Maybe the OC lost confidence in the qb?? Dunno?? It’s kinda been a pattern these days in the play calling!! All in all, with Salems lack of a passing game in this game, even if it went to overtime, I feel Phoebus had a better chance of winning based on the play calling from Salem. This was a great game and Phoebus is the better team!! Congrats again to yall!!
Salem was 1 for 8 passing Saturday which is a 12% success rate which is abysmal...Their pass game for various reasons was non-existent, which is not a play-calling issue, but an execution issue....which is to say calling more passes would not at all have helped their cause. I'd like to see them revert to more of the Magenbouer offense which had the same base O, but with more split backs and misdirection...same guy calling the O then and now, but Holter doesnt want that stuff....I'd like to see the 3 back power I in short yardage they used when Miles was there too.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Salem was 1 for 8 passing Saturday which is a 12% success rate which is abysmal...Their pass game for various reasons was non-existent, which is not a play-calling issue, but an execution issue....which is to say calling more passes would not at all have helped their cause. I'd like to see them revert to more of the Magenbouer offense which had the same base O, but with more split backs and misdirection...same guy calling the O then and now, but Holter doesnt want that stuff....I'd like to see the 3 back power I in short yardage they used when Miles was there too.
Yeah, that’s why I said the OC may have lost confidence in the qb, I agree with the misdirection. We had a little success when running the counter. Which goes to the mis direction!! Mag also utilized a lot more screens and such as well!! A lot of folks don’t realize that but he did enough to keep the defense on its toes. When you know that 95% it’s gonna be a run. The only catch and it was a big one might I add was off the play action. Even if it’s not successful, you still have to run it to soften up the box some!! The qb had a bad game, he left a few passes on the table because he hesitated and I saw the OC go off on him about it. That’s why I was wondering if he lost confidence in the qb. If you count the 2 point conversion he completed 2. The play calling I’m questioning is the 3 and 20 and you run a trap on the best defense in Va expecting what?? To set up a punt?? Several times in that game was crazy calls such as this

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Yeah, that’s why I said the OC may have lost confidence in the qb, I agree with the misdirection. We had a little success when running the counter. Which goes to the mis direction!! Mag also utilized a lot more screens and such as well!! A lot of folks don’t realize that but he did enough to keep the defense on its toes. The I you know that 95% it’s gonna be a run. The only catch and it was a big one might I add was off the play action. Even if it’s not successful, you still have to run it to soften up the box some!! The qb had a bad game, he left a few passes on the table because he hesitated and I saw the OC go off on him about it. That’s why I was wondering if he lost confidence in the qb. If you count the 2 point conversion he completed 2. The play calling I’m questioning is the 3 and 20 and you run a trap on the best defense in Va expecting what?? To set up a punt??
We weren't converting that no matter what we called. It was a play it safe and play defense type day. I really didn't have a problem with running there though I wouldn't have run trap at all against them maybe something a little wider

Yeah, that’s why I said the OC may have lost confidence in the qb, I agree with the misdirection. We had a little success when running the counter. Which goes to the mis direction!! Mag also utilized a lot more screens and such as well!! A lot of folks don’t realize that but he did enough to keep the defense on its toes. When you know that 95% it’s gonna be a run. The only catch and it was a big one might I add was off the play action. Even if it’s not successful, you still have to run it to soften up the box some!! The qb had a bad game, he left a few passes on the table because he hesitated and I saw the OC go off on him about it. That’s why I was wondering if he lost confidence in the qb. If you count the 2 point conversion he completed 2. The play calling I’m questioning is the 3 and 20 and you run a trap on the best defense in Va expecting what?? To set up a punt?? Several times in that game was crazy calls such as this
What play do you like 3rd and 20 against a great Defense?

Reactions: VolNation85
More talented my ass
Salem and Phoebus are different but obviously evenly talented. I got irritated with the “Salem is the underdog” or the “Spartans aren’t that good“ talk in 2015. I will keep bringing up 2015 until people stop diminishing the Spartans. I can’t even get an apology from the idiots that mocked me for saying Salem would win that game. Only one team was ever going to win the 2023 championship game and that it took a monster of a play to get it done speaks to how even the majority of the game played out. There is a reason they both have 10 titles. It was a wonderful defensive battle and players on both sides made great plays.

Seems like people want to sign up and be football coaches. The ball was almost batted down by the defender from Salem, it wasn't and it was caught and taken in for a TD. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't. Coach Holter is a stand up guy for taking responsibility for the defensive call. He didn't want all of those know it alls coming after his player. Which they shouldn't anyway. People always complain about games being blowouts but then don't give the respect of an awesome game being played and one team made one more play than the other. Kudos to both and Congrats Phoebus on getting another ring.

Last edited:
More talented my ass
Its an opinion of what each person thinks. I dont care what anyone thinks. I will take the win and 3 peat over an opinion. Salem is indeed talented and well coached and have a great program. Phoebus did maintained the lead the majority of the game. Had more yards of offense. Held the majority of Salem's offense, which is Lewis to 84 yards on 27 carries. I think he went for 350+ a week before. Thats 3 yards a carry against Phoebus. Phoebus has more pieces and can score running or passing from multiple players. I think Salem shouldve passed more to open things up for Lewis but Salem does what it always do. Play smashmouth power football, run play action and play great defense. They indeed did that but they came up short against a better team with a great defense and an offense that posess more athletes to key on and multiple ways score.

Its an opinion of what each person thinks. I dont care what anyone thinks. I will take the win and 3 peat over an opinion. Salem is indeed talented and well coached and have a great program. Phoebus did maintained the lead the majority of the game. Had more yards of offense. Held the majority of Salem's offense, which is Lewis to 84 yards on 27 carries. I think he went for 350+ a week before. Thats 3 yards a carry against Phoebus. Phoebus has more pieces and can score running or passing from multiple players. I think Salem shouldve passed more to open things up for Lewis but Salem does what it always do. Play smashmouth power football, run play action and play great defense. They indeed did that but they came up short against a better team with a great defense and an offense that posess more athletes to key on and multiple ways score.
As you so eloquently said "your opinion"

As you so eloquently said "your opinion"
Yes but whatever anyone thinks, the "fact" is that Salem lost and Phoebus won the title game, and Phoebus is now the 2023 Class 4A Champs, and the only team to win in 3 different divisions 3, 4, and 5. That's All facts, no opinion.

Reactions: gwb16
Yes but whatever anyone thinks, the "fact" is that Salem lost and Phoebus won the title game, and Phoebus is now the 2023 Class 4A Champs, and the only team to win in 3 different divisions 3, 4, and 5. That's All facts, no opinion.
What's class 4A? I don't think that is a fact🤔

Ok Phoebus is Class 4 State Champ to be exact. That is a fact!! Also Salem is the runner up. That is a fact too!
That's better. Now that's a fact. Don't know why anyone is getting upset over this game still😂. 2 evenly matched teams went at it. Way better game than last yr.

That's better. Now that's a fact. Don't know why anyone is getting upset over this game still😂. 2 evenly matched teams went at it. Way better game than last yr.
I agree. There is no reason for anyone to get upset. You win some and lose some but some people struggle with being second. Salem is a quality program. I'm sure they will hit the weight room and get better. That is what Phoebus will do with a vast amount of players returning from this years title team. They will have a chance to 4peat for the second time. 35 wins and counting.....

Seems like people want to sign up and be football coaches. The ball was almost batted down by the defender from Salem, it wasn't and it was caught and taken in for a TD. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't. Coach Holter is a stand up guy for taking responsibility for the defensive call. He didn't want all of those know it alls coming after his player. Which they shouldn't anyway. People always complain about games being blowouts but then don't give the respect of an awesome game being play and one team made one more play than the other. Kudos to both and Congrats Phoebus on getting another ring.
Agree 1000%.

Reactions: gwb16 and SFUWO
Seems like people want to sign up and be football coaches. The ball was almost batted down by the defender from Salem, it wasn't and it was caught and taken in for a TD. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't. Coach Holter is a stand up guy for taking responsibility for the defensive call. He didn't want all of those know it alls coming after his player. Which they shouldn't anyway. People always complain about games being blowouts but then don't give the respect of an awesome game being play and one team made one more play than the other. Kudos to both and Congrats Phoebus on getting another ring.
I don’t know what you’ve been reading, but most of the discussion has been about the defensive play that was called on the last play and why?? Nobody said anything about the players! Moyer actually did great in the formation he was put in. I would expect no less from Coach Holter to take the responsibility.

I don’t know what you’ve been reading, but most of the discussion has been about the defensive play that was called on the last play and why?? Nobody said anything about the players! Moyer actually did great in the formation he was put in. I would expect no less from Coach Holter to take the responsibility.
If he had batted the ball down everyone would’ve said great defensive formation. Hindsight is always 20/20. Now everyone can’t believe a timeout wasn’t called or that they weren’t in prevent. The coaches did what they thought best at the time. Most on this board have not been on the sidelines or press box to call plays during the course of the game. Hats off to both squads.

Reactions: gwb16 and SFUWO
If he had batted the ball down everyone would’ve said great defensive formation. Hindsight is always 20/20. Now everyone can’t believe a timeout wasn’t called or that they weren’t in prevent. The coaches did what they thought best at the time. Most on this board have not been on the sidelines or press box to call plays during the course of the game. Hats off to both squads.
Absolutely hats off to both squads!! Hell of a game!!
Actually we were wondering why they were so far up before the ball was snapped!!
It’s just some good ole football discussion on a football discussion forum!! Nothing more nothing less.

My "opinion".... Salem's defense had played one hell of a game against a great offense all day. Why not stay with the game plan that had worked for you all day? I was saying the same thing, if the defender tips the ball and it falls incomplete, Coach Holter is a genius for sticking with his game plan.
One play....6 seconds didn't define this entire game. It was a great matchup, pitting two very storied programs against each other. This is the way State Championship football games should be played. Two great coaching staffs, great athletes...what else could the fans ask for?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT