ADVERTISEMENT

conference 24 - causing problems

2muchBBnever

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 6, 2006
while every other conference around "conference 24" has been able to get there games in conference 24 ad's continue to push back their games for whatever reason. I know the other conferences (teams) in the region has to be upset with them. poor judgement/leadership in that conference.
This post was edited on 2/26 8:40 AM by 2muchBBnever

VHSL needs to take away authority of conference ADs and run all tournaments from the VHSL office in Charlottesville. Have same formats/policies in place statewide.

"For whatever reason"
confused0003.r191677.gif
Are you guys serious..have you ever heard of unsafe travel conditions. I don't know where you live..(except that I'm pretty sure HR6 doesn't live in Hampton) but the amount of snow, followed by low temps, have kept schools closed and made for some poor travel conditions. Ask yourself, if you are a parent of a player, if you feel okay about your kid being on a school bus traveling in a snow storm late at night on I81. That's what I thought. The AD's and coaches of course want to play these games, but thankfully more intelligent people then you guys are making the decision for safety sake to hold off until it gets better.

gymrat so what about carroll county's girls team safety? they did travel to gw girls? alleghany and magna vista made it up to roanoke the night before. also cave spring played at blacksburg last night.

ft. chiswell , galax, george wythe, brookville, liberty, auburn, covington, etc etc played last night. so what is the excuse now and it was not snowing at 8 or 9 last night. pulaski, gw, fleming, and e.c. glass could have played.

Well, these are good points..maybe some of these games didn't have as much travel involved as others. As they say, hindsight's 20/20..It's easy to know now today, when the snow started last night, as opposed to yesterday morning when decisions had to be made based on potential forecasts. Not sure how much snow Danville got, but they were expected to get more that direction. The drive to Fleming is what, a couple of hours by bus. And they were playing the 2nd game of a girl/boy DH, putting them leaving Roanoke for Danville potentially at 10pm and in middle of heavy snow. It did actually start later as you said, but no one knew that earlier in the day of course. Pulaski returning from Lynchburg, same deal, maybe longer drive, although there was only the single game there at ECG, but the second half of that trip involves travel up Cburg Mountain. A school bus sharing the snow covered road with tractor trailers..not a position school officials (rightfully) want to purposefully put kids in. Don't forget this as well: When the bus does finally arrive back at the school, you've got parents waiting for kids that don't drive and those that do drive may be forced to try and get home from the school..putting young, inexperienced drivers at risk late at night in some locations down country back roads in those conditions. Just saying a lot more goes into certain decisions here than most realize. Hopefully, all those teams you mentioned that did play last night got home without incident. I can assure you if the snow that hit about midnight had arrived only an hour or two earlier..there could have been some nasty problems.

gymrat10 agree i am all about kids safety and that should be first above everything but are the ad's/administrators smarter in the other conferences than "24"? i thought the doppler radar worked the same for everyone (lol). well hopefully than can play tomorrow/saturday to get back on track. good luck to all the teams and safe travel for the teams/fans

Nobody has had worse weather than conference 21 , or missed more days of school this winter. Conference 21 northern VA is ready to go I believe.

"VHSL needs to take away authority of conference ADs and run all tournaments from the VHSL office in Charlottesville."

Are you high?

No I'm not high. VHSL should run all tournaments, eliminate the higher seed host crap, have all conferences use same format.
In many conferences there's one really strong AD who runs conference and makes decisions to benefit his/her team whenever possible, instead of creating a level playing court/field.

Also all tournaments should be at neutral site,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT