ADVERTISEMENT

Conference 35/36 Predictions

Mar 27, 2015
Conference 35
1. George Mason - heavy favorites; return everyone; probably will not lose a conference game
2. Strasburg - return most of their starters; shouldn't be very deep but will have experience
3. Madison County - also not very deep, but their "big 3" are solid
4. Central - getting a little better every year, but still don't have the horses to really compete; my dark horse pick
5. Clarke County - lost McDonald, who was entire team; will still play hard

Conference 36
1. R.E. Lee - definite favorite in 36
2. East Rockingham - young, but will come at you; good pieces
3. Page County - could easily flip this spot with East Rock
4. Stuarts Draft - the system will miss Simpson, but they should still be okay
5. Nelson County - honestly, don't know much about them...have heard decent things about them though
6. Wilson Memorial - new coach plus lost a lot of players = not good
7. Buffalo Gap - they just don't have the horses

Regional 1st Round Matchups
Mason vs. Draft - Mason would run away with this matchup...would not be pretty for SD
East Rock vs. Madison - pretty sure these teams play during the season; don't think Madison can handle pace
Lee vs. Central - Lee in a romp
Strasburg vs. Page - flip a coin on this one

Don't sleep on Clarke this year. If the summer league was any indication they will be very deep and will have two newcomers to the program who should contribute .

Agree. Besides Mason, that conference really is wide open. I could see all 4 finishing 2nd.

Strasburg with their experience and shooters.
Madison if their Big 3 developed.
Central apparently has a transfer as well who could help bump them
Clarke like you said

Will be a fun league to watch

How much of the summer league did you get to see?

I saw 2 weeks...was impressed with both Central and Clarke...even though it's hard to really gauge in the summer because you never know who's not in attendance

I was able to see one night when the games were moved to Handley and one night at Central. Clarke went 3-1 those two nights with the loss coming to Spotswood I believe. However like you said each team was probably missing players due to various reasons. I can't speak to other teams because I mostly watched Millbrook and Handley in between Clarke County games.

Madison has the Big 3 (as you put it ) Isiah Smith, Dre Twyman, and Dylan Breeding (all juniors) back. I heard that 2 freshmen may start and a third coming off the bench as the 6th man. The freshmen are all supposedly the real deal. But if the rumor is true, the biggest addition may be on the sideline with the return of a certain coach!

I've always thought Madison had a lot of upside. They have size, athleticism, and a point guard. However - will they be deep enough? Do they have anyone who can shoot the ball?

I am not sure. I do not know anything about the freshmen except what I heard about them at the EV football game Friday night. Heard one could really shoot from the perimeter. But you just never know with freshmen.

Madison has the Big 3 (as you put it ) Isiah Smith, Dre Twyman, and Dylan Breeding (all juniors) back. I heard that 2 freshmen may start and a third coming off the bench as the 6th man. The freshmen are all supposedly the real deal. But if the rumor is true, the biggest addition may be on the sideline with the return of a certain coach!

Can this coach score? Can he shoot? Does he truly know anything about the game? Is he experienced? Did he hit a home run over the left field scoreboard in a long ago ballpark off me in 1984? LOL!!!!!!!!

LOL...I am from Culpeper but just moved to Madison (married a Madison girl) so I am not sure of all the folk lore in Madison. Sounds like you know much more than me!

Conference 35
1. George Mason - heavy favorites; return everyone; probably will not lose a conference game
2. Strasburg - return most of their starters; shouldn't be very deep but will have experience
3. Madison County - also not very deep, but their "big 3" are solid
4. Central - getting a little better every year, but still don't have the horses to really compete; my dark horse pick
5. Clarke County - lost McDonald, who was entire team; will still play hard

Conference 36
1. R.E. Lee - definite favorite in 36
2. East Rockingham - young, but will come at you; good pieces
3. Page County - could easily flip this spot with East Rock
4. Stuarts Draft - the system will miss Simpson, but they should still be okay
5. Nelson County - honestly, don't know much about them...have heard decent things about them though
6. Wilson Memorial - new coach plus lost a lot of players = not good
7. Buffalo Gap - they just don't have the horses

Regional 1st Round Matchups
Mason vs. Draft - Mason would run away with this matchup...would not be pretty for SD
East Rock vs. Madison - pretty sure these teams play during the season; don't think Madison can handle pace
Lee vs. Central - Lee in a romp
Strasburg vs. Page - flip a coin on this one

Coach P. thinks this could be one of the best teams he's had since he's been at Page! (And he's had some GOOD teams in the past!) Hope he doesn't mind me saying that!

I've heard this version of the Leemen is going to be very good! I don't much about the rest of your picks- other than I would never sleep on an Emmart coached team at Clarke! Strasburg should be very good as well- I think they were one win away from the state semifinals last year IIRC! Coach C. has had Mason playing well these last couple of years!

Last edited:
LOL...I am from Culpeper but just moved to Madison (married a Madison girl) so I am not sure of all the folk lore in Madison. Sounds like you know much more than me!
If the coach is who I think you are referring to, all I'll say is that he is one of my best friends in the profession and he would be an outstanding addition to the Madison staff! And FWIW, he DID in fact hit one into the backyard of the house behind the Shenandoah Ball Park scoreboard off me in 1984!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT