ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Bburg

Shabutie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2006
Outplayed and outcoached Salem at every level tonight. Great team, great execution and good sportsmanship.

That was a good old fashioned beat down the likes of which Salem hasn't seen in a very long time.

Congrats to Blacksburg, they were the better team. Salem has a lot of work to do. Very disappointed with the lack of toughness and the lack of emotion. How can you come out that flat in this game?

Outplayed and outcoached Salem at every level tonight. Great team, great execution and good sportsmanship.

That was a good old fashioned beat down the likes of which Salem hasn't seen in a very long time.

Seems that Salem has a very mediocre team this year... at best. Unless something changes, I predict no 3-peat.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Not a mediocre team in my opinion. There is a lot of talent. I just don't think it's being used in the right way.

I'm just going to put it out there, I think the coaches are deviating from Salem football, especially on defense. The game plan was completely wrong from the beginning to stop Blacksburg. C'mon! Go hat on hat and take it to them on defense. And play calling? Why are we throwing the ball if the run is working? Your getting 5-6 yards a carry then you go to a different formation? Why are we throwing deep with two high safeties on the field???

Blacksburg deserves credit for having a beast in #65 on defense. Blacksburg had a superior game plan and their execution was excellent!

These coaches from Salem are terrible. Guess they had nothing to do with the championships past 2 years. Sure they got beat bad, and it seems like Salem always has a lot of talent, but maybe Dinwiddie and Blacksburg were just better.

Hate to see fans turning on 2 time defending coach like this

Not turning on the coach, just stating the obvious. I have a lot of respect for the coaches, they just had a bad game plan for Blacksburg. Just because you've won two championships as coaches, doesn't mean you don't make mistakes and should be receptive to constructive criticism.

Of course not, but it seemed like your post was just bashing them and saying you could do better. Just an observation. Salem always seems to improve. But from a score like that, and what I watched on facebook since my little ole 2a team was off, looked like Blacksburg was better and more talented

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Blacksburg was better tonight. Blacksburg has a lot of talent.

My issue is the deviation from the things the coaches did to win the championships on both defense and offense.

Maybe that's what they felt they needed to do. Coaches dont set out to do something to make them worse. If it was wrong, seems Salem has some of best coaches around, they will try to fix it

Blacksburg has experienced QB and talent. Great game . If I'm not mistaken they have three state championships in football.

I think the fact that anybody from Salem could even mention coaching as an issue supports the coaches more than anything else could. The expectations are unrealistic. I don't think you're trying to start anything. You just have a lot of emotion coming off of a beating you aren't used to. Salem will be back! If anything, they will be better now.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Thoughts:

- Blacksburg is very good. Them or Sherando from the West.
- Salem is average to above-average. Will probably get them 7-3/8-2 regular season because of the weak area teams but 1-1 in the playoffs is how I see it.
- Dinwiddie fans should probably look at the game as a fluke, likely 20-30 point Dinwiddie MOV if they replayed.
- ZERO effort tonight except for a couple of kids. Going through the motions, nobody on the team is playing for each other.
- Salem desperately needs leadership, someone to rally around. Riley and Noah filled the holes last year, haven't seen anyone step up.
- Gladden throws a poor long ball, happy feet on short balls. Astoundingly good on intermediate passes (and has been all year). Need to tailor the offense towards that, get him away from the long ball because he just lobs it up.
- Coach Wills is a horse's ass for having starters in up 30 with 7 minutes left. Beck got brought down from behind and stayed down for a good 30 seconds before getting up. Don't care about them potentially scoring again, do care about risking things with kids who have a definite future in the sport, it's selfish behavior.

I think 3 kids came to play tonight for Salem and you can't beat a team like Blacksburg like that. Lackadaisical at best and have been all year except somehow for Dinwiddie. Beat Amherst because Tucker won the 50/50s every time, beat FC and NS because they were simply better teams, would lose to Dinwiddie and Bburg 10 times out of 10 though. Kids just don't seem to care, it is what it is.

Now people understands what happened to Amherst against Blacksburg

Reactions: close2salem
I think you are way off Hokie. I know you are emotional but judging either of the coaching staffs is ridiculous. I have seen games in the past where Salem has left their starters in. It is what it is and nobody is anointing anybody yet. A lot of football left. Stay behind the kids. Sherando lost tonight BTW. Salem did not win by 20. I'm sure Blacksburg used that. Good job by the Bruins. 8-2 for an off season is damn good. Blacksburg was 5-5 last year and won the state. Also, there is a group of Salem fans that needed a beat down and every fan base has them but sitting with them and just listening to them question every call like they know what they are talking about when they obviously don't.. I had the privilege of coaching a lot of the rec. players that we're on this great run the last three years in a few sports. We won't win the state championship everytime but don't give up on the coaches and players.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee and one man
I think you are way off Hokie. I know you are emotional but judging either of the coaching staffs is ridiculous. I have seen games in the past where Salem has left their starters in. It is what it is and nobody is anointing anybody yet. A lot of football left. Stay behind the kids. Sherando lost tonight BTW. Salem did not win by 20. I'm sure Blacksburg used that. Good job by the Bruins. 8-2 for an off season is damn good. Blacksburg was 5-5 last year and won the state.

Leaving a kid with an FBS future in when you're up 30 with 7 minutes left in the game is a jerk move and you saw exactly what could have happened if you were at the game and I guarantee you every Blacksburg fan was muttering "get him the hell out of the game" when he went down because I know all the Salem fans were and it wasn't because he tore Salem up tonight, it's because they know it was stupid to leave him in the game. You find me tape of Mags doing that with Coleman and I'll call him the same. It's a selfish, jerkoff move by any coach. Leaving staters in isn't the same as leaving in kids who will literally be financially impacted by a serious injury.

I'm not emotional at all, I'm just not afraid to call a spade a spade. Salem's had a spoiled 4 years and we were due for some down years and this looks like one of them. They've come out lacking effort in the first half of 4 of 5 games, it's not random it's a pattern and when they play teams that play 4 quarters and have talent they're going to lose those games this year. The good news for Salem is there might only be one more team like that in the regular season so improvement or not I think 4-1 or 5-0 to finish the year but when they face up against a good team in the POs I just don't think they have what it takes this year. Would love to be wrong and you can send me a reminder if we turn things around markedly but I just don't see it. Everyone has down years, no big deal, take them just like I do the good seasons.

Last edited:
It's hard to stay play hungry when your belly is full. A lot of those Salem kids are toting around two rings. Plus they are everybody's Super Bowl. It's hard come out fired up every single week. I have no doubt that this will be wake up call and might be the best thing that could have happened to them. Could light a fire in their bellies.

These coaches from Salem are terrible. Guess they had nothing to do with the championships past 2 years. Sure they got beat bad, and it seems like Salem always has a lot of talent, but maybe Dinwiddie and Blacksburg were just better.

Hate to see fans turning on 2 time defending coach like this
It happens every where that is what I keep saying. Fans are not always the best they can be

Fans aren't turning on coaches when they offer suggestions. The coaches can take them or leave them. People are soft when they can't take constructive criticism. We're always quick to say something to help make the players better, but don't ever say anything about coaching? If I were coaching, I'd want to get all the feedback I could get. How can you ever improve if you only see things from your viewpoint? Are coaches to blame for the loss, no. Credit goes to Blacksburg for a well played game.

Like I said just the perception I got from reading it. I dont know whether that was your intention or not. I went back and re-read it against and still how I think it looks.

I think the part that makes it look the worst to me is saying a lot of talent, not being used the right way. To me, the way that looks is coach doesn't know where to play his players, and if they were where you think they should be they would have won.

Of course coaches should be accountable. No coach is perfect, but unless you have had the whistle in your mouth, you don't know what it's like. Not saying you, or anyone on this board, or anyone in particular, but when you don't live up to the expectations that others have for you, you have to listen to these Monday morning quarterbacks who think they know how to do your job. And in MOST cases, you only hear these opinions when you lose, when in reality you have been doing the same thing all along.

The only thing I have seen questioned is the one kid not playing much. That seemed like a legit reason and most commenting thought it was being done for a reason. Didn't see all this questioning or things after Dinwiddie game, I dont remember seeing it from Amherst last year, or Lake Taylor in championship game. To me it is really simple, last night Blacksburg was much better and people weren't ready for it. From the comments all season, Blacksburg just wasn't ready to move up and play the big boys. It may be that they are just REALLY good. Maybe if they played again Salem wins

The "this team has a lot of talent" comment was for the person who said Salem was mediocre. That'll get anyone fired up! ;)
I could start naming the kids who were on last year's all state team who are still playing for the Spartans!

I believe in this team and in the coaches. Do they have the talent to beat any 4A team?Yes! Do they have a lot of work to do? YES!

Is Blacksburg a good team, YES!

Reactions: JOrndorff
The "this team has a lot of talent" comment was for the person who said Salem was mediocre. That'll get anyone fired up! ;)
I could start naming the kids who were on last year's all state team who are still playing for the Spartans!

I believe in this team and in the coaches. Do they have the talent to beat any 4A team?Yes! Do they have a lot of work to do? YES!

Is Blacksburg a good team, YES!

I don't disagree that they have a lot of talent, and since you brought it up, how many of these players back have changed positions since they are in the wrong position?

Question:
The game seemed competitive at first and the touchdown before the end of the half was a back breaker. I wasn't stunned that BB won the game as I picked them to win. I wasn't stunned that BB had a decent lead and hit a few homerun balls. I was surprised that Salem didn't come out with more fight in the 2nd half.
I have said it before. Beck has world class speed. They may never have a player that fast again in the history of the program. I knew they might get ahead but never imagined Salem would have folded up the tent in the 2nd half.

I was not there but I was listening on the radio. Did Salem just mail it in, in the 2nd half?

About seven players have been tried or moved into different positions this year

I was generally asking. So you are meaning that these all state players from last year have changed positions from their all state performances?

Of course some players will change positions at every school, but you brought up the talent and all state, so I am curious, did THEY change positions

Maybe I should have said this Spartan team has starters from last year's team that are very talented? Hence this team is not mediocre in my opinion when you add the junior talent to an already proven group on young men.

My comment about all state was to support the team has talent.

The position movements have occured in each game. I wasn't talking about all state players moving around. My point is the coaches are trying out different people and moving people around in every game and I don't agree with what they chose to try against Blacksburg. It obviously didn't work.

Again it's the way it was posted. But fair enough. I would imagine the biggest difference this year and last is QB.

And I know I wasn't there, and doesn't really matter to me what happened, but couldn't any team say that "what we did obviously didn't work" anytime they lose? My team could play the Patriots and when we lose I could say that. The patriots were better plain and simple. It wouldn't have mattered what they did they would lose. I get the feeling that no matter what Salem would have done last night they were going to lose, good or bad coaching

Well, that is where I disagree. Salem could've won last night, but a lot of things need to change. They have the talent and the ability, but need to execute. A lot of factors came into play for the loss. In my opinion, some of the factors are within the coaches control, some are not.

That being said, Blacksburg is a very talented team too and they were the better team last night, but it doesn't mean Salem can't compete with them.

Of course not, Salem is Salem and always has opportunity to win. What I am saying is from what it seems like to me from seeing some on FB and what I have read, and especially reading a few questioning heart and losing the way they did they wouldn't have won last night, not the future

I can't disagree with some lack of passion. I think there is some lack of focus too. Leaders need to rise up. A lot of things need to change. It's not just one thing that must change to be competitive with Blacksburg and other playoff teams.

Last edited:
Question:
The game seemed competitive at first and the touchdown before the end of the half was a back breaker. I wasn't stunned that BB won the game as I picked them to win. I wasn't stunned that BB had a decent lead and hit a few homerun balls. I was surprised that Salem didn't come out with more fight in the 2nd half.
I have said it before. Beck has world class speed. They may never have a player that fast again in the history of the program. I knew they might get ahead but never imagined Salem would have folded up the tent in the 2nd half.

I was not there but I was listening on the radio. Did Salem just mail it in, in the 2nd half?
Don't think they mailed it in. The kids were still running hard and competing with a very good team. I would say Blacksburg's play caller did an excellent job. The defense was way off last night. Offense struggled to get into a rhythm.

Reactions: mbonape1
First off I would like to say that it is foolish for Salem fans to be second guessing the coaches. For the last 30 years Salem has fielded the best coached most fundamentally sound football teams in the state of Virginia. They have consistently produced players that have earned their positions through a proven system that in Salem begins way back in little league. Salem football players and coaches as a whole have always displayed sportsmanship and integrity that has set the bar high and is not easily duplicated. I can assure you that Salems coaches have carefully selected the players that are getting playing time because they are the ones the coaches feel give Salem football the best opportunity to be successful. Being successful doesn't always mean that the best athletes are the ones on the field. Sometimes the best athletes are the hardest kids to coach and get to buy into the teamwork makes the dream work concept. How many state championships has Salem claimed since the 90s? How many runner ups? How many other community's would love to have a fourth of the success that Salem football has had over the years? The facilities? The fan support? Oh did I say fan support? May the the Saturday morning coaching whiners cease and desist. The coaches and the support of the community is what has created the Salem dynasty. That being said Salem was beaten soundly by a team from Blacksburg that has an incredible amount of speed and talent. I am not talking just about Beck and Terry I am talking about across the board speed. I heard somewhere that there were 8 to 10 kids on their roster that all ran 4.7 or faster Forty times and after seeing the game I may be a believer. It was obvious to me that Blacksburgs defensive speed was a huge factor in Salems inability on offense to get it going. Did Blacksburgs defense play perfect absolutely not but the speed of there defense allowed them to recover blown assignments and instead of big gainers or touchdowns Salem had to settle for a few yards in most instances. I will say it again SPEED in my eye was the overall difference in the game. I suspect that if you asked Staunton River, Heritage, Botetourt, Brookville or the almighty Phoebus teams that Blacksburg took out in the playoffs last year they would all tell you the same thing in that there was a huge speed differential in those losses. To the Salem fan base I say Salem has lost 2 games this year to two state finalists from last year that are incredible teams. I get it Salem is not used to losing. It ain't the coaches fault and it's not coincidental, Salem got whooped. Rome was not built in a day and neither was Salem football. High probability to see one or both of these teams again before this season is over. Now shut up, quit crying, and get positive, there's a lot of ball left to play this year.

I suspect that if you asked Staunton River, Heritage, Botetourt, Brookville or the almighty Phoebus teams that Blacksburg took out in the playoffs last year they would all tell you the same thing in that there was a huge speed differential in those losses. .

Nice post. I agree with 99% of it except one thing. Blacksburg beat Phoebus and congrats on Blacksburg getting the W, but Blacksburg ain't faster than Phoebus. Blacksburg is faster than the other teams you mentioned, but they were simply more physical than Phoebus which is what led to their win. Phoebus is still faster overall in team speed, looking at 11 players on each side of the ball or all 22 starters. Outside of this, I agree with everything your wrote.

First off I would like to say that it is foolish for Salem fans to be second guessing the coaches. For the last 30 years Salem has fielded the best coached most fundamentally sound football teams in the state of Virginia. They have consistently produced players that have earned their positions through a proven system that in Salem begins way back in little league. Salem football players and coaches as a whole have always displayed sportsmanship and integrity that has set the bar high and is not easily duplicated. I can assure you that Salems coaches have carefully selected the players that are getting playing time because they are the ones the coaches feel give Salem football the best opportunity to be successful. Being successful doesn't always mean that the best athletes are the ones on the field. Sometimes the best athletes are the hardest kids to coach and get to buy into the teamwork makes the dream work concept. How many state championships has Salem claimed since the 90s? How many runner ups? How many other community's would love to have a fourth of the success that Salem football has had over the years? The facilities? The fan support? Oh did I say fan support? May the the Saturday morning coaching whiners cease and desist. The coaches and the support of the community is what has created the Salem dynasty. That being said Salem was beaten soundly by a team from Blacksburg that has an incredible amount of speed and talent. I am not talking just about Beck and Terry I am talking about across the board speed. I heard somewhere that there were 8 to 10 kids on their roster that all ran 4.7 or faster Forty times and after seeing the game I may be a believer. It was obvious to me that Blacksburgs defensive speed was a huge factor in Salems inability on offense to get it going. Did Blacksburgs defense play perfect absolutely not but the speed of there defense allowed them to recover blown assignments and instead of big gainers or touchdowns Salem had to settle for a few yards in most instances. I will say it again SPEED in my eye was the overall difference in the game. I suspect that if you asked Staunton River, Heritage, Botetourt, Brookville or the almighty Phoebus teams that Blacksburg took out in the playoffs last year they would all tell you the same thing in that there was a huge speed differential in those losses. To the Salem fan base I say Salem has lost 2 games this year to two state finalists from last year that are incredible teams. I get it Salem is not used to losing. It ain't the coaches fault and it's not coincidental, Salem got whooped. Rome was not built in a day and neither was Salem football. High probability to see one or both of these teams again before this season is over. Now shut up, quit crying, and get positive, there's a lot of ball left to play this year.
Excellent post, Salem is the model football program in the state. If I was a Salem fan none of my shirts would have buttons . I admire Salem's football success a lot but I admire their back to back classy coaching hires more. 1CoachMagsfan ...................

Reactions: mbonape1
Blacksburg was faster than Phoebus , and more physical .

I didn’t see the game live, but it’s hard to argue against Blacksburg. Blacksburg’s speed and physicality turned many of us unbelievers last year into believers and continues to do so. From an outsider, the Phoebus program had a rough transition from the Coach Dee/Sexton eras to the current Coach Blunt era. To his credit, Coach Blunt seems to have stabilized the program and has the kids getting better each year. It’s hard to compare teams from different eras, but for those out west who heard about the mighty Phoebus and who are just recently seeing Phoebus in action, the Phoebus teams of the prior decade were incredible and gave the teams in higher classifications headaches. For example, the 2008 team (see youtube) is one of the few teams in the last 30 years of Virginia high school football that I believe could have challenged the 1996 Hampton team that finished #1 or 2 in the country.

It is foolish to think coaching decisions are always right. Do I think the coaches are to blame for the loss? no. Do I think they need to make changes, yes!

As for the speed, Blacksburg has speed this year, so did JF and Lake Taylor in 2015. You have to shut down that speed before it gets started!

The coaches learned from the 2014 Lake Taylor loss and made changes to deal with speed. I'm confident they will do the same here. I have faith in the coaches. I respect them and their work ethic, but I also know they are not perfect. To suggest they do something different doesn't change the fact I think they are some of the best coaches in the state.

I'm not going to say anything more on the matter after this post.

Blacksburg is a good team. They have my respect.
Salem has a lot of work to do, but has the potential to be great. It's not one thing or person that needs to change to make that happen. This needs to be a time of reflection and determination to improve for Salem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT