ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hear what I hear

It was fine , full of very fine and talented young men.

How does it work I guess is what I was getting at... I’ve not seen a team line up in a way where it looked like the RG would snap the ball. I watched the broadcast of the Salem game on YouTube the other day— that was a fun game to watch.

Gotcha. Was just new for me to see lol. Literally nobody here that we play has ever run that. Then again the conference we are in is brutal... the top 4 teams probably don’t need to.. they tend to just over power teams

Gotcha. Was just new for me to see lol. Literally nobody here that we play has ever run that. Then again the conference we are in is brutal... the top 4 teams probably don’t need to.. they tend to just over power teams
It’s a spread run often with an unbalanced line. 5 of those kids you see on offense signed to play at D1 and D2 level with another 1 still deciding. That’s not counting the Jrs with offers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1bburgfan
If you want more go to Hudl Cole Beck , Grant Johnson and Tiquest Terry . 32 Beck was the 2nd fastest kid in the country as a jr in the 100 and a VT commit

Reactions: cb2018
It’s a spread run often with an unbalanced line. 5 of those kids you see on offense signed to play at D1 and D2 level with another 1 still deciding. That’s not counting the Jrs with offers

I honestly like that formation— it can create a lot of mismatch and 1v1s. It was a pretty neat thing to see in action. I’m pretty excited to see what he can do here. What kinda weight room program does he run? We tend to get outclassed there when it comes to when we play a team like Mallard Creek (in our conference). They are like a small college program lol. The biggest challenge for our program is we’ve never really developed a true passing QB... previous coaches here have opted for the athlete at QB and not really developed a pass attack

If you want more go to Hudl Cole Beck , Grant Johnson and Tiquest Terry . 32 Beck was the 2nd fastest kid in the country as a jr in the 100 and a VT commit[/QUOTE
Beck was the RB right?
I honestly like that formation— it can create a lot of mismatch and 1v1s. It was a pretty neat thing to see in action. I’m pretty excited to see what he can do here. What kinda weight room program does he run? We tend to get outclassed there when it comes to when we play a team like Mallard Creek (in our conference). They are like a small college program lol. The biggest challenge for our program is we’ve never really developed a true passing QB... previous coaches here have opted for the athlete at QB and not really developed a pass attack
You will still get outclassed by MC, just like most everyone does, lol.

Oh for sure lol. We don’t have anywhere near the shear depth that they have. Last year we lost 27-0... and I considered that a successful game lol.
MC is on a different level for what I’ve seen. I’ve met several of their kids on the recruiting circuit and have family in that area. As for the weight room, I’ve always felt it’s the kid’s determination and effort that makes the difference. The coaches only provide the opportunity.

Reactions: MooresvilleDevil06
MC is on a different level for what I’ve seen. I’ve met several of their kids on the recruiting circuit and have family in that area. As for the weight room, I’ve always felt it’s the kid’s determination and effort that makes the difference. The coaches only provide the opportunity.

Agree there. Our previous regime preferred to cut our lineman’s weight to make them leaner and quicker. I didn’t think that would be too successful vs the bigger teams, and it wasn’t. The oline really struggled at times. Our school has poured millions (no joke) into the athletics over the last several years... converted the football field from grass to turf several years ago... and entirely new weight room and new equipment... new football jerseys... put in a 1.5 million dollar baseball stadium... and entirely new 3 full length court basketball gym... they clearly have put an emphasis on the athletics side.

Reactions: VolNation85
Oh for sure lol. We don’t have anywhere near the shear depth that they have. Last year we lost 27-0... and I considered that a successful game lol.
Have you seen the kid from Harding U play yet (Crouch)? Crazy to think that HARDING ran the table and then beat Scotland for the championship. Seems like all the better schools dropped to 3a (Havelock, Catholic, Dudley, etc). The Creek is a hell of a program but it looks like Wake Forest has finally gave Wake County a contender in 4aa to go up against the Meck powers in Butler and Creek.

Yeah I’ve seen him
Have you seen the kid from Harding U play yet (Crouch)? Crazy to think that HARDING ran the table and then beat Scotland for the championship. Seems like all the better schools dropped to 3a (Havelock, Catholic, Dudley, etc). The Creek is a hell of a program but it looks like Wake Forest has finally gave Wake County a contender in 4aa to go up against the Meck powers in Butler and Creek.

Play, kid is a beast. I believe Coach Wells actually beat out the Harding coach for the Mooresville job. I think it came down to those two guys. I’ve done some homework— I like everything I’ve seen and read about Coach wells. I think he will be a great fit here. I didn’t realize how young he was—crazy lol. 3 years younger than me lmao

Last edited:
The kids made that O successful way more than the O made the kids successful. Three of the starting lineman received scholarships, the tailback also received one. There are at least 2, but possibly 3 juniors who will be highly recruited from the O as well next year. As much as I would like to tell you that his O was the reason we won, its still the Jimmy's and the Joe's at the end of the day. To his credit he did win a state Championship, which is a tremendous feat.

This sums up the atmosphere here each and every Friday night. This was how our game vs our rival south Iredell finished. We are the team defending the kick

Out of curiosity, I’m not overly familiar with VA football, how does 4A Ball here compare to 4A Ball there?

The kids made that O successful way more than the O made the kids successful. Three of the starting lineman received scholarships, the tailback also received one. There are at least 2, but possibly 3 juniors who will be highly recruited from the O as well next year. As much as I would like to tell you that his O was the reason we won, its still the Jimmy's and the Joe's at the end of the day. To his credit he did win a state Championship, which is a tremendous feat.

That’s a fair point. And I think any coach would echo that statement... that it’s the players that make the coach look good. It’s all about how a coach can get his guys to buy in, and it sounds like he was able to do that up there. It’s been a while since we’ve had a coach come in to our program and be able to connect with the players... last year was an absolute nightmare in that regard... I’m hoping Coach Wells can come in and really connect with our guys. We need some stability in that regard.

Reactions: JOrndorff
This sums up the atmosphere here each and every Friday night. This was how our game vs our rival south Iredell finished. We are the team defending the kick

Out of curiosity, I’m not overly familiar with VA football, how does 4A Ball here compare to 4A Ball there?
No comparison. NC as a whole is a lot more competitive. The atmosphere, the buzz in the air. There are big games week after week and it’s better overall student and community support. We have some really good teams in VA but I doubt very seriously many could hang with Creek, Richmond County, Scotland, Wake Forest, New Hanover, Catholic, Page, AC Reynolds and even the smaller schools like Tarboro and Reidsville.

No comparison. NC as a whole is a lot more competitive. The atmosphere, the buzz in the air. There are big games week after week and it’s better overall student and community support. We have some really good teams in VA but I doubt very seriously many could hang with Creek, Richmond County, Scotland, Wake Forest, New Hanover, Catholic, Page, AC Reynolds and even the smaller schools like Tarboro and Reidsville.

I’ve heard of a few teams up in VA.. mainly over in the Richmond area. Was t really sure how to quality of opponents top to bottom compared. I don’t think there would be much separating the elite of VA from the Elite of NC... I just assume the fall off as you go down the list probably isn’t as great here in NC.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Trader

DSH, Share some facts as to why you think this to be true.

DSH, Share some facts as to why you think this to be true.
Just from experience. Been to a lot of VA and NC games. Competition is way better in NC. We can compare scores and analytics all day and it wouldn’t accomplish anything. You know how we praise Salem for being traditionally well coached, physical and while being usually less talented? Well the teams I named have all that and more? Know how serious they take their football in Richmond County? They pay their head football coach 78k a year. When Scotland and Richmond plays, if you’re not their by 4:30 on game day and you don’t have advance tickets, you won’t get in. Them Charlotte schools such as Mallard Creek, Mathews Butler, Sun Valley/Porter Ridge, Harding (this year), and Vance? Multiple high major D1 players year in and year out. Since I started watching them in 06, Durham Hillside sends at least 5 to power 5 schools every year (Oregon, UNC, Maryland, etc). Todd Gurley at Tarboro, Kennan Allen/Chris McCain/TJ Logan/Maurice Harris at Northern Guilford, Pharoh Cooper at Havelock, Zamir White at Scotland, DJ Reader at Grimsley, Marquez North and DJ Humpries at Creek, Elijah Hood at Catholic..All in the past 7 years. Sorry man, NC is where it’s at. No debate.

I agree will all this but I have to add, 2016 the defense had just as much if not more to do with that championship .

I’ve heard of a few teams up in VA.. mainly over in the Richmond area. Was t really sure how to quality of opponents top to bottom compared. I don’t think there would be much separating the elite of VA from the Elite of NC... I just assume the fall off as you go down the list probably isn’t as great here in NC.
Richmond, 757 and NoVA teams could compete. Maybe Salem?

Reactions: las2018
We will all see this year. Oscar Smith plays West Forsyth which is about a 10 minute drive from Wake Forest University. Don’t know what they gave returning, they had the #2 DE in the Nation this year and he signed with Clemson. They reload each year but finds a way to lose to the Charlotte teams in the playoffs.

We will all see this year. Oscar Smith plays West Forsyth which is about a 10 minute drive from Wake Forest University. Don’t know what they gave returning, they had the #2 DE in the Nation this year and he signed with Clemson. They reload each year but finds a way to lose to the Charlotte teams in the playoffs.

I can tell you now West Forsyth graduated their studs last season. Especially their 5* DE KJ henry (Clemson I think). I don’t think WF will have anything close to what they’ve had the last few seasons

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT