ADVERTISEMENT

Essex 0-2 Start...

Essex Trojan1

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
May 17, 2009
For those who might have the history on this. When was the last time Essex started a season 0-2? I looked on reference but they only go back as far as 1999. From '99 until now is 17 years and there weren't any 0-2 starts. They had some 1-1's but no 0-2 starts. Essex will turn the ship around on offense. Just like to know when was the last 0-2 start.

Last edited:
HeyET1, I tried for an hour to find some history on Essex Football, but came up short. I also
Looked in VHSL REF too, but no luck. I would bet it has been several decades since Essex has
Opened the season at 0-2.
Hey, the season is very young, and with the playoff system set up the way it is, Essex can
Regroup and get that offense rolling, and you guys will be right there again, pushing for
A good seed in the playoffs A1East.
Sounds like you guys need to cut down on turnovers....Make the other guys earn their field
Position.No more pick 6's. Anyhow, who you play Friday? Play well, and turn things around.
Best of luck, My Friend

PS: Did you folks get any wind or water off the Hurricane?? I hope everyone stayed safe!

Reactions: uvacavs1
I'm sure we will be ok. I was telling a friend that if the playoffs started today, Essex would still have a high seed even though we are 0-2. All because we played a 2A and 4A school that we got good power points even in defeat. We made out ok over here in the Northern Neck. Some rain and a little breeze. Nothing major. The Rappahannock River that flows between Richmond County and Essex, spilled over a bit into a street here in town. That street floods a lot during storms. It's almost level with the river. The rest of the town sits pretty high over the river.

The 2003 team started off 1-3 beating Middlesex before losing to King William and Mathews. We won a couple games before getting destroyed by JM 34-0. We finished the regular season 7-3. We avenged the KW loss by whooping them 28-0 then beat 11-0 JM 16-13 with a Carter Ball field goal to win the first ever Regional Championship for Essex. In the state semi-final we beat another undefeated team in Manassas Park 24-7 before running into what may have been the best Gate City (and single A) team ever and losing 40-15 in the state championship. That year we had a solid defense but like this years version of the Trojans we didn't have an established QB. We went through 2 or 3 QBs before settling on Josh Beamer who was a great QB and leader for us. Once this years team gets its act together on offense they'll be tough to beat by a single a team.

No doubt Essex will be just fine and probably compete for a high seed once they get rolling; however, I don't think if the playoffs started today they would be a high seed... I actually think they would barely be in the top 12. I try to keep up with teams so that I can work points later and usually get lost with the bonus points after 5 or so weeks but as of now:

Essex has lost 2 games to two 2-0 teams. 6 points for the GHS loss, 10 for the KG loss +4 for the wins=20 /2 =10.
any 1-0 or 2-0 team is going to have a higher avg. regardless of who they've played since a win against a 1A is worth 16. There are 7 teams in that category (not counting Chincoteague and Rapp Co.)

Any 1-1 team is going to have a higher avg regardless of who they've played because 16 for a W+ 4 for a L. + at least 1 bonus for the team that they lost to. Min Avg of 10.5. There are 4 more teams that fall into this category. So 12th at best.
A little early for playoff talk but if anyone as a 12 seed could run the table, I think you'd have to put your money on Essex!

Thanks for clearing that up for me SWVAftballfan. TrojanFan22560...I remember that year 2003. But they started with a win that year. I'm looking for an 0-2 start. I lost track of the team when I moved to Richmond in the 90's. So, I don't know about this years. If my memory serves me correctly, 86 or 87 were not so hot. They were my Jr & sr years. I'll check my senior year book in the morning.

Reactions: SWVAftballfan
The 2003 team started 1-2 (I'm sure Trojans22560 mistyped the 1-3). I'm sure Mr. Rose will let everyone know last 0-2 start this week.

I'll help Mr. Rose out a bit...The Bubba Hooker led version of the Trojans went 0-10 in 1988 IIRC..
Essex football took a turn for the better when Roger Pierce took over the program...then Chuck Reid won the District title in the 90's and then of course they experienced a great deal of success under his replacement...Can't seem to remember his name....:D!

Reactions: gwb16 and uvacavs1
Thanks for the history trip guys. Yes, 2003 was a great group of Essex kids.

I still remember the huge article in the Washington Post (that was a big deal to be in the Post!) after Essex shocked JM in the playoffs. "Ball does it All" after Ball kicked the winning field goal, had like two pics, scored a TD, tons of tackles, runs, etc. Ball also was a soccer star for Essex scoring an astounding 95 goals in just three seasons (played for Christchurch his Freshman year), helping Essex be the 1st NND team to finally defeat JM in soccer as well.

The 2003 team started off 1-3 beating Middlesex before losing to King William and Mathews. We won a couple games before getting destroyed by JM 34-0. We finished the regular season 7-3. We avenged the KW loss by whooping them 28-0 then beat 11-0 JM 16-13 with a Carter Ball field goal to win the first ever Regional Championship for Essex. In the state semi-final we beat another undefeated team in Manassas Park 24-7 before running into what may have been the best Gate City (and single A) team ever and losing 40-15 in the state championship. That year we had a solid defense but like this years version of the Trojans we didn't have an established QB. We went through 2 or 3 QBs before settling on Josh Beamer who was a great QB and leader for us. Once this years team gets its act together on offense they'll be tough to beat by a single a team.

Yes, that 2003 state game at JMU in the snow was a fond memory even though Essex lost. I remember riding to game with a great group of fun Essex fans to cheer on Essex in their 1st state title game.

Chilwar25 and SWVAfan, we had just 300 to 400 Essex fans there at JMU cheering against literally 5,000 wild Gate City fans. That's when I realized just how big football was in the the West (that's awesome). However, we made as much noise as we could, Essex fought to the end and were proud to be there!

I'll help Mr. Rose out a bit...The Bubba Hooker led version of the Trojans went 0-10 in 1988 IIRC..
Essex football took a turn for the better when Roger Pierce took over the program...then Chuck Reid won the District title in the 90's and then of course they experienced a great deal of success under his replacement...Can't seem to remember his name....:D!
Thanks. Paw fan. I just looked at my senior year book and my senior year of '86-'87, the '86 season Essex team started 0-3. Their only win that season was against W&L 22-6.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT