ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW- Lafayette football notice

I don't know how you can type this and not understand the bigger picture. The VHSL stands to lose more than anyone else if they do a short season or no playoffs and so on, they wouldn't choose to take money out of their own pockets unless it was incumbent upon them that they had no other choice to make. I flat out guarantee you there isn't a fan, player, or coach in the state who wants a full season more than the VHSL does. Their choice is going to be the one that intersects at best serving themselves and, hopefully, also the fans/players/coaches.

No money-making organization has happily shut down or made changes due to this thing. Most of the places are doing the absolute bare minimum required so they lose as little money as possible. The VHSL will undoubtedly do the same. If that bare minimum is an 8 game season and 3 game playoff or a 6 game season and no playoffs, that's what we'll get and we'll all have to be adults and handle it as such, not tantruming like children at the slightest sign of not getting our way
We’ll make the best out of it, yes. A major life essential, A D J U S T I N G.
But life is also not accepting other people’s decisions without questioning the veracity of them.

Last edited:
We'll get what we get and everyone will deal with it, hopefully like adults and not like pouting children.
If there’s no playoff,NO KID in his right mind, holding any scholarship offer,is gonna play a single down. This isn’t everyone gets a trophy BS! This state is showing how really pathetic it and it’s leadership is! California of the east coast. Embarrassing!!

Questioning an organizations decision is called a free society, not pouting like child. Do you ever question your bosses decisions?
If there’s no playoff,NO KID in his right mind, holding any scholarship offer,is gonna play a single down. This isn’t everyone gets a trophy BS! This state is showing how really pathetic it and it’s leadership is! California of the east coast. Embarrassing!!
Both of you get it. I’ll leave the thread before I’m accused of crying.

Reactions: Lafayette and mmqp
I think that if a kid holds a scholarship offer and decides not to play a single down, would be jeopardizing his strength, conditioning and vital experience that he would obtain by participating in his Senior year.. I would question their motives!

I think that if a kid holds a scholarship offer and decides not to play a single down, would be jeopardizing his strength, conditioning and vital experience that he would obtain by participating in his Senior year.. I would question their motives!
Could we though? Yes, you can tear an ACL jogging at your practice, but would you want your 5 star safety son taking a helmet to the knee against a kid from Meadowbrook who more than likely has no business being on the field. Your WR son who (HS has at least 3 with Virginia Tech offers) going across the middle and some hungry kid trying to prove they belong intentionally try to take their heads off? The risk is much greater than the reward especially with no state championship in sight. Now pros are different. Those guys have millions and millions of dollars in insurance if they get hurt AND THEY GET PAID!!! Plain and simple, THAT LOAD MANAGEMENT JUNK IS CRAP!! That’s why Jordan is the best to ever do it because he played the LA Clippers the same he played the New York Knicks in The Garden. High school and college kids DON’T & shouldn’t jeopardize their future over a meaningless game, especially when they have an opportunity for a free education in college or have the opportunity to make millions in the professional leagues.

Shouts out to Jordan playing hard every game. NBA regular season used to be watchable. Now I just hang out until the playoffs (but MAN the playoffs are AMAZING to watch with the effort turned on from all the players).

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
All beaches in Virginia just officially opened so this could be a sign of football is not far behind. #WeWantMartinsburg
Northam today indicated a council was formed on opening schools or not and how to open if done. I don’t know the members but that will be critical.

Spring football will not happen for a variety of reasons. Player safety, weather, spring sports...The VHSL is inquiring about coaching committees and will basically ask coaches what is more important...Regular season or post season..One will be cut short if not both IF we have a season. Can't have a season if we can't attend school without limitations. If you have other questions feel free to ask

Spring football will not happen for a variety of reasons. Player safety, weather, spring sports...The VHSL is inquiring about coaching committees and will basically ask coaches what is more important...Regular season or post season..One will be cut short if not both IF we have a season. Can't have a season if we can't attend school without limitations. If you have other questions feel free to ask

Appreciate you filling us in!

After reading this thread and talking with an administrator, there are probably some things many of us are not considering with regard to a fall football season. I think we all understand that it is more complicated than just reopening the schools and putting a team on the field after two weeks of practice. There are so many variables involved. I will list some that have been mentioned in this thread here, as well as other considerations:

1. Player conditioning/safety.
2. Player physicals and paperwork.
3. Liability and insurance policies.
4. Coach certifications and background checks.
5. Equipment reconditioning and repair.
6. Reworking of schedules (and accompanying transportation requirements, officials, etc.) for a shortened season. It may not be as easy as just dropping the first 2 games to create an 8 game season if some teams in your district play a district game in those two weeks and others do not.
All of the above take time and don't just happen. If a decision cannot be made until later in the summer, trying to restart on Date X and say we will play games 2-3 weeks later puts a huge administrative burden on the school and coaching staffs and may include some things that just cannot be accomplished in 2-3 weeks.

Some other considerations:

6. If fans are allowed, game management policies (concessions, social distancing, etc.) and the necessary increase in staff to implement those policies (more staff, more cost).
7. If limited fans are allowed (family, school staff and game management staff only?) will the cost of executing a game exceed the revenue generated? If not, where does that money come from? What defines family? What about those devoted fans who no longer have kids on the field? For facilities of different sizes, what is the allowable number and who determines that? etc. etc. etc.
8. If the VHSL decides to hold the playoffs there is the potential for certain teams to be at a competitive disadvantage, if they allow some regions to start "on time" and others are delayed due to stated restrictions (like now with the NOVA area remaining under stricter guidance). Or, do they hold off on starting the season until all schools are open and functioning?

I am probably only scratching the surface here but there is a lot to consider. And despite everyone's best effort, if another wave of Covid-19 appears when we reopen, it may all go south again. In the meantime, let's all continue to hope and pray things get better, for more than just football.

Could we though? Yes, you can tear an ACL jogging at your practice, but would you want your 5 star safety son taking a helmet to the knee against a kid from Meadowbrook who more than likely has no business being on the field. Your WR son who (HS has at least 3 with Virginia Tech offers) going across the middle and some hungry kid trying to prove they belong intentionally try to take their heads off? The risk is much greater than the reward especially with no state championship in sight. Now pros are different. Those guys have millions and millions of dollars in insurance if they get hurt AND THEY GET PAID!!! Plain and simple, THAT LOAD MANAGEMENT JUNK IS CRAP!! That’s why Jordan is the best to ever do it because he played the LA Clippers the same he played the New York Knicks in The Garden. High school and college kids DON’T & shouldn’t jeopardize their future over a meaningless game, especially when they have an opportunity for a free education in college or have the opportunity to make millions in the professional leagues.
Highland Springs didn't play in a State Championship last year, they took their risks. The thing is, ALL of HS's starters played basically 2 quarters in a large majority of the 12 games they played! Against a team like Meadowbrook (as you mentioned), those star kids with scholarship offers would probably play 1 to 1 1/2 quarters at most against a Meadowbrook team.
Risks: Life it's self is a risk! Every time you walk out the door, you are risking something! Who knows, you or I could die today in a freak accident. That doesn't keep us from walking out the door. My point with this is that nobody should deprive themselves of what they love to do because of a fear of "what might be". What these kids really need to aware of is imminent danger and knowing the difference between right and wrong.
Too many kids get injured in "horse play", goofing off and doing nonsensical stuff! Who they associate themselves with. Where and where not to go! Hanging with the wrong crowd, drugs, drinking, SEX! These are the things they should be afraid of at their age and what it could do to their prospected futures... Look at what happened to the 4 star QB from Henrico the went to U of Florida! Never play 1 play for them.... why? The difference between right and wrong!
I think playing 4 or 5 downs against Meadowbrook, Henrico or Atlee there isn't much risk.
Playing a full game against Martinsburg, Oscar Smith, Manchester, Colonial Forge and Varina, are the risks here a reward or a larger risk... Then playoffs....should they be afraid to play? Because it might affect their future? I think the risk is thinking that way.

Last edited:
Highland Springs didn't play in a State Championship last year, they took their risks. The thing is, ALL of HS's starters played basically 2 quarters in a large majority of the 12 games they played! Against a team like Meadowbrook (as you mentioned), those star kids with scholarship offers would probably play 1 to 1 1/2 quarters at most against a Meadowbrook team.
Risks: Life it's self is a risk! Every time you walk out the door, you are risking something! Who knows, you or I could die today in a freak accident. That doesn't keep us from walking out the door. My point with this is that nobody should deprive themselves of what they love to do because of a fear of "what might be". What these kids really need to aware of is imminent danger and knowing the difference between right and wrong.
Too many kids get injured in "horse play", goofing off and doing nonsensical stuff! Who they associate themselves with. Where and where not to go! Hanging with the wrong crowd, drugs, drinking, SEX! These are the things they should be afraid of at their age and what it could do to their prospected futures... Look at what happened to the 4 star QB from Henrico the went to U of Florida! Never play 1 play for them.... why? The difference between right and wrong!
I think playing 4 or 5 downs against Meadowbrook, Henrico or Atlee there isn't much risk.
Playing a full game against Martinsburg, Oscar Smith, Manchester, Colonial Forge and Varina, are the risks here a reward or a larger risk... Then playoffs....should they be afraid to play? Because it might affect their future? I think the risk is thinking that way.
Well stated. I never disagreed with you, just wanted to give another prospective.

If we start the year with online virtual classes I can not see how you can have 50-100 kids on the field with 10 - 20 coaches and managers daily. Think of all of the non social distancing that is happening during this period. During August we would have a team meeting daily with over 75 players, coaches, managers. From there lifting in the weight room, position meetings (usually 20 plus in a room) and from there practicing and all of the contact. Football by nature is a contact sport. If classes are virtual and we are not meeting how could we have football? I am just being logical. In Fairfax County they are looking at starting virtually or reduced class size - 12 in a class with desk FAR APART!! I highly doubt in Fairfax County and Northern VA we start the year on time with everyone in school doing a normal routine. Most schools in NOVA have between 2000 - 3500 students, teachers, faculty and support staff in the building at once. Average class size is around 28 -30. Hallways in NOVA are jammed and packed in most schools. Cafeteria? PE Classes have 100-200 kids in the gym usually. Right now I can not see how we start on time. I can almost guarantee you Fairfax, LC, PWC are all are not starting on time.

If we start the year with online virtual classes I can not see how you can have 50-100 kids on the field with 10 - 20 coaches and managers daily. Think of all of the non social distancing that is happening during this period. During August we would have a team meeting daily with over 75 players, coaches, managers. From there lifting in the weight room, position meetings (usually 20 plus in a room) and from there practicing and all of the contact. Football by nature is a contact sport. If classes are virtual and we are not meeting how could we have football? I am just being logical. In Fairfax County they are looking at starting virtually or reduced class size - 12 in a class with desk FAR APART!! I highly doubt in Fairfax County and Northern VA we start the year on time with everyone in school doing a normal routine. Most schools in NOVA have between 2000 - 3500 students, teachers, faculty and support staff in the building at once. Average class size is around 28 -30. Hallways in NOVA are jammed and packed in most schools. Cafeteria? PE Classes have 100-200 kids in the gym usually. Right now I can not see how we start on time. I can almost guarantee you Fairfax, LC, PWC are all are not starting on time.
Required social distancing is not being applied anymore. If you look at any of the videos you see online, these kids are not working out by them self. There are nine or 10 of them there at every workout, and I can promise you there not wearing no mask,they’re not wearing no gloves,and they damn sure not 6 feet apart. they don’t give a damn what the VHSL officials are telling them to do. If you think it’s OK for people to go to the beach,to go out to restaurants,or to go to parties together, but not go to school together...you’re sadly wrong. The governor spoke volumes yesterday when he caved in to pressure and opened the beaches. I can promise you he’s going to do the same thing for schools.

Required social distancing is not being applied anymore. If you look at any of the videos you see online, these kids are not working out by them self. There are nine or 10 of them there at every workout, and I can promise you there not wearing no mask,they’re not wearing no gloves,and they damn sure not 6 feet apart. they don’t give a damn what the VHSL officials are telling them to do. If you think it’s OK for people to go to the beach,to go out to restaurants,or to go to parties together, but not go to school together...you’re sadly wrong. The governor spoke volumes yesterday when he caved in to pressure and opened the beaches. I can promise you he’s going to do the same thing for schools.
I’m with you but we still gotta keep in mind about north of Stafford County. They will drag a lot of things from happening in Virginia.

Reactions: mmqp
Hey preaching to the choir. I want them to play. I have kids in my house who will be crushed it they can not play. I am for it. But I am telling you there are a lot of hurdles to overcome. I hope we do get to play but there are a lot of moving parts and I worry that it is not going to be cut and dry. Hopefully come August or even September we can start practicing and playing.

Article today in DP indicated a commitment to have fall sports if school returns. But no timeline is mentioned and how season would be structured. One of coaches here indicated a decision of some sort in late June.

I believe schools will re open but, and that’s a big but, it will be by district. I can see Nova like phase one, going it’s own way and not re opening and fall sports there severely limited.

After reading this thread and talking with an administrator, there are probably some things many of us are not considering with regard to a fall football season. I think we all understand that it is more complicated than just reopening the schools and putting a team on the field after two weeks of practice. There are so many variables involved. I will list some that have been mentioned in this thread here, as well as other considerations:

1. Player conditioning/safety.
2. Player physicals and paperwork.
3. Liability and insurance policies.
4. Coach certifications and background checks.
5. Equipment reconditioning and repair.
6. Reworking of schedules (and accompanying transportation requirements, officials, etc.) for a shortened season. It may not be as easy as just dropping the first 2 games to create an 8 game season if some teams in your district play a district game in those two weeks and others do not.
All of the above take time and don't just happen. If a decision cannot be made until later in the summer, trying to restart on Date X and say we will play games 2-3 weeks later puts a huge administrative burden on the school and coaching staffs and may include some things that just cannot be accomplished in 2-3 weeks.

Some other considerations:

6. If fans are allowed, game management policies (concessions, social distancing, etc.) and the necessary increase in staff to implement those policies (more staff, more cost).
7. If limited fans are allowed (family, school staff and game management staff only?) will the cost of executing a game exceed the revenue generated? If not, where does that money come from? What defines family? What about those devoted fans who no longer have kids on the field? For facilities of different sizes, what is the allowable number and who determines that? etc. etc. etc.
8. If the VHSL decides to hold the playoffs there is the potential for certain teams to be at a competitive disadvantage, if they allow some regions to start "on time" and others are delayed due to stated restrictions (like now with the NOVA area remaining under stricter guidance). Or, do they hold off on starting the season until all schools are open and functioning?

I am probably only scratching the surface here but there is a lot to consider. And despite everyone's best effort, if another wave of Covid-19 appears when we reopen, it may all go south again. In the meantime, let's all continue to hope and pray things get better, for more than just football.

Great post!

Reactions: falcettik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT