ADVERTISEMENT

Glass Fans Are No Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big games still draw big crowds. EV/Louisa 2018, Manchester/Highland Springs 2019, Oscar Smith/Highland Springs 2019, Big games still draw big crowds....
20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png

Reactions: springer76
Watching Friday Football Extra on WSET 13. Glass is undefeated and supposed to be the best team in 4A in Virginia. Lynchburg City Stadium looked like a ghost town. Wonder what the deal is with no fannies in the seats?

I was at the game. If you put the Glass crowd from this past Friday night on the home side at Brookville or JF it would have appeared mostly full. Also Glass was playing a 1-win team and anyone who follows Liberty knows that game was going to be over before halftime. But the main contributors to perceptions around fan support in the Lynchburg area are 1 - the quality and scale of the city schools facility vs. what you see at most of the county schools, and 2- confirmation bias (people see what they are hoping to see). It is interesting to contemplate what motivates folks to post about this topic.

Last edited:
I was at the game. If you put the Glass crowd from this past Friday night on the home side at Brookville or JF it would have appeared mostly full. Also Glass was playing a 1-win team and anyone who follows Liberty knows that game was going to be over before halftime. But the main contributors to perceptions around fan support in the Lynchburg area are 1 - the quality of the city schools facility vs. what you see at most of the county schools, and 2- confirmation bias (people see what they are hoping to see). It is interesting to contemplate what motivates folks to post about this topic.
Very well put Sir!

I had some of the kids from JF removed and made them go back to there side. Had on bad shirts and they were taunting, fans and coachesz
I remember some years ago JF came to Appomatox and before the game they gathered around our goal post and began spitting on the goal post pad that had RAIDERS on it.

Boy that FIRED up our kids and they beat JF like a broken drum that night.

Last edited:
I remember some years ago JF came to Appomatox and before the game they gathered around our goal post and began spitting on the goal post pad that had RAIDERS on it.

That is cause for removal. What is it about JF that they think that type of behavior is acceptable?

No clarification needed. I wanted to know why the JF folks thought it was acceptable behavior to spit on the opposing teams' goalposts?

It wasn't, and is one of the many reasons that coach is no longer at JF. (no, not Christmas...)

They should have been removed from the premises.
Well they definitely had no business on the visitor side. They walked down to the fence where the coach and players were. They had e shirt with Christmas face on it and the symbol with the line through his face. They kept pointing at it. It was bad. Once I got the assistance principal he made them leave.

Exactly what was on these "bad shirts"?
Coach Christmas face with the line drawn through it and they were at the fence of the players pointing to it. If you don’t think that is bad behavior then shame on you. The assistant principal agreed and told them to get on the other side

Uncalled for

I'll send you guys a picture of our senior night vs Albemarle...it'll be a packed house and neither team will likely make the playoffs. Granted Albemarle and Charlottesville are not too far apart, but our attendance has been pretty solid even though the District is terrible this year outside of Louisa.

Reactions: one man
I am considering going to the Glass-Heritage game next Friday night. I want to see City Stadium with 5000-6000 fans there and then watch Friday football on WSET to see if the cameras really don't show all the fans in attendance.

I am considering going to the Glass-Heritage game next Friday night. I want to see City Stadium with 5000-6000 fans there and then watch Friday football on WSET to see if the cameras really don't show all the fans in attendance.

Sounds like a fun night bowlingref. You should do it. I expect you will see some good football while you are at it. I'll meet you at the T-room afterwards. While you are counting Glass fans, I'll watch film and count the missed tackles of county kids trying to bring down #5, #20 and #2 for Glass.

Here are some clips from the Jug Bowl last year.

Watch the whole segment and keep in mind that Brookville, JF, Rustburg, etc. have like 500-750 bleacher-seats in their stadiums. The place can seat 9,000. It is going to look different when there are 1500 people at a Glass game vs 1500 people at a Rustburg game. If you are looking for empty seats at a Glass game, there will probably be 5000 of them when Glass and Heritage play. So look at those if that floats your boat.

I love our trips to Rustburg. It's America and I respect the tradition. Go Red Devils. Hope you can drop your disdain for the city programs. Some of the best kids in the world play for those two teams.

Coach Christmas face with the line drawn through it and they were at the fence of the players pointing to it. If you don’t think that is bad behavior then shame on you. The assistant principal agreed and told them to get on the other side

Those same kids were joking with Christmas before the game. He had no issue with it. I think it bothered him more to to see the empty seats on his side... Can't blame him, he always had a loyal and supportive fan base, even on down years and especially in the beginning of a rebuilding.

Sounds like someone is really infatuated with Glass and Heritage! You should go check it out. I'm sure the Glass program will appreciate your financial contribution via your price of admission.

That game will be well attended because of the rivalry but other games are not. They are also both City teams and use that stadium. My prediction Glass will win if QB is healthy

Those same kids were joking with Christmas before the game. He had no issue with it. I think it bothered him more to to see the empty seats on his side... Can't blame him, he always had a loyal and supportive fan base, even on down years and especially in the beginning of a rebuilding.
I saw those kids and they were not joking. I also talked to his wife and she thanked some of us fans for the support of the Santa hats etc. if you think JF travels well you are sadly mistaken

I’ve actually had a conversation with him and believe what you want

Christmas is going to appeal to whoever he is talking to

I don’t think catchtds was saying you were wrong. Think they’re just saying Christmas will diffuse a situation with those kids by being friendly even if it wasn’t cool what they were doing/saying.

I also talked to his wife and I also know other members of his family

No, you're right. I'm sure they love it when fans don't put forth the effort to drive 1 day a year to an away game the same distance he and most of his coaches do 6 days a week.

The last time JF had a crowd that small on the visitor's side was probably Glass about 4 years ago.

I don’t think catchtds was saying you were wrong. Think they’re just saying Christmas will diffuse a situation with those kids by being friendly even if it wasn’t cool what they were doing/saying.
Basically, but there is a fence and sometimes people go on both sides of it given the circumstances.

Reactions: WP02alum
Basically, but there is a fence and sometimes people go on both sides of it given the circumstances.
They don’t walk down to the fence where the opposing players are. The assistant principal saw it and made them leave

It's because they are inner city schools with gangs, let the truth be told, we all read the news, and glass trying to be the front runner, since both of those kids who got shot weren't saints, when they both play the police will be out in full force, been like that for years, all has change since the hilltopper an pioneers, I went to afew games this year, the home teams have more then both glass and heritage, funny glass is on pace to win a state title and they could careless woody is just alone for the ride, after the stable is gone where do you turn,.. And if you don't win the #actsean, shame on you..
Are you serious?

It's because they are inner city schools with gangs, let the truth be told, we all read the news, and glass trying to be the front runner, since both of those kids who got shot weren't saints, when they both play the police will be out in full force, been like that for years, all has change since the hilltopper an pioneers, I went to afew games this year, the home teams have more then both glass and heritage, funny glass is on pace to win a state title and they could careless woody is just alone for the ride, after the stable is gone where do you turn,.. And if you don't win the #actsean, shame on you..

Yes it’s so dangerous at our games that I’ll be there Friday with my 80 year old parents. They went to EC Glass and so did I. My son goes there now. It’s still the best high school for highly selective college placement opportunities in the area. The gang thing is tiresome and has been overplayed for years.

I don’t think we will ever win this argument about attendance until we get terrible facilities like most of the county schools, so the stands will look full. Why doesn’t someone start a thread about the tiny home crowd at Amherst last night? Gangs there too?

What does two children being victims of gun violence have to do with fan attendance? You should be ashamed of yourself for saying something about them when you don’t know anything about them. But if it helps you sleep at night by degrading kids, a school, or a community then do what you need to do. Both inner city schools will keep marching forward and none of the players, coaches, parents, or fans will lose any sleep because of your ignorant opinion.

This post makes no sense at all. Glass has had more fans in the last 2 years than in a while. Glass has a good fan base. Stable is still good after this year. State championship or not Woody and the staff are changing young men’s lives. Stop hating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT