ADVERTISEMENT

Graham 28 Union 27 Final

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
I watched the 2nd half of this game. Union lead 21-14 at the half. Graham tied it up early in the 3rd on a punt return by Bradshaw. Union would go back in front 27-21 and it would stay that way until 1:01 left when Blevins of Graham threw a 36 yd td strike and a 28-27 lead. Graham would intercept Union on the ensuing possession. Union dominated in the 2nd half, but penalties and a fumble in the red zone came back to haunt them. Graham hung around and pulled it out in the end. Two really good teams and I expect both to be playing deep into the postseason

I watched the 2nd half of this game. Union lead 21-14 at the half. Graham tied it up early in the 3rd on a punt return by Bradshaw. Union would go back in front 27-21 and it would stay that way until 1:01 left when Blevins of Graham threw a 36 yd td strike and a 28-27 lead. Graham would intercept Union on the ensuing possession. Union dominated in the 2nd half, but penalties and a fumble in the red zone came back to haunt them. Graham hung around and pulled it out in the end. Two really good teams and I expect both to be playing deep into the postseason
Sounds like it was a good one. Just curious why are all these teams playing on Thursday nights?

Sounds like it was a good one. Just curious why are all these teams playing on Thursday nights?

Two reasons. Covid is running through SWVA like a wolf in a chicken coup. It's really, really bad news and teams are scheduling sooner, rather than later, because it's literally day to day as to whether or not you know you are playing or your game is cancelled. The primary reason for Graham is that Graham shares a stadium with Bluefield High, WV, and Bluefield College, and Bluefield State University. All 4 have football. Bluefield High, the 2A WV powerhouse, was scheduled to play this Friday night, but Covid got them on Tuesday cancelling their game. The AD's decided not to move this game from Thursday to Friday night (taking over the spot for Bluefield High that got its game cancelled). They could have done it, but again from what I've read, Covid is so bad that moving it back 24 hours is an invite for Covid to cancel on Friday.

Two reasons. Covid is running through SWVA like a wolf in a chicken coup. It's really, really bad news and teams are scheduling sooner, rather than later, because it's literally day to day as to whether or not you know you are playing or your game is cancelled. The primary reason for Graham is that Graham shares a stadium with Bluefield High, WV, and Bluefield College, and Bluefield State University. All 4 have football. Bluefield High, the 2A WV powerhouse, was scheduled to play this Friday night, but Covid got them on Tuesday cancelling their game. The AD's decided not to move this game from Thursday to Friday night (taking over the spot for Bluefield High that got its game cancelled). They could have done it, but again from what I've read, Covid is so bad that moving it back 24 hours is an invite for Covid to cancel on Friday.
Thanks for the info.

There’s also the issue of officials. The ones who worked last night are likely working a game tonight, too. So I’m not sure they could have pushed it back even if they wanted to.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Covid had NADA to do with this. It was Thur. all the time.
And (lack of) officials is why so many games have been moved.

The agreement for the past few years has been to alternate. This was Bluefield’s (WV) turn to play on Friday night. The next time that both teams have home games in the same week then graham will get to play Friday night and Bluefield will move.

Graham & Bluefield did used to play most of those games that were moved on Saturdays but Bluefield College & now Bluefield State College has made that more difficult.

that reminds me that I watched Steven Peoples from Galax set the single game state rushing record against Graham on a Saturday afternoon there in Mitchell Stadium.

The ONLY time in forever that Graham got Fri & Blfd got Thur was 4 years ago when Beaver hosted Tazewell

Graham had Thur games in '18 AND 19, and have TWO more this year.

Covid had NADA to do with this. It was Thur. all the time.
And (lack of) officials is why so many games have been moved.
According to one of Graham's assistant coaches that I know told me that the reason the game was not moved to Friday was because of Covid worries. The game was originally scheduled for Thursday because of the local colleges and Bluefield High all using the same field. But, the game could have been moved to Friday night after Bluefield High's game was cancelled. There were not one, but two officials crews available in Mercer County, WV, of which both are registered/certified in both WV and VA, and the field was open, but both AD's agreed not to move the game back due to the risk of Covid. One of those official crews did our game last night at Radford.

The above is what a Graham assistant told me, and it's what one of Union fans told me at the game at Mitchell. That Union fan is very knowledgeable of their program and is a regular on the SWVA sports board. There has been a bigtime official shortage this year, but the Bluefield area is probably less effected than most of SWVA because many of the officials in and around the Bluefield area are certified/registered in both Virginia and West Virginia.

Last edited:
... Bluefield High, the 2A WV powerhouse, was scheduled to play this Friday night, but Covid got them on Tuesday cancelling their game.

nope... Covid didn't get them.
Their county BoE shut down schools AND e-c activites for the whole county.

No reports of covid among any players/coaches, so it didn't get them OR cause them to cancel.

There’s also the issue of officials. The ones who worked last night are likely working a game tonight,

No reports of covid among any players/coaches, so it didn't get them OR cause them to cancel.
VHSL helper. Not wanting to split hairs here, but you implied Covid had nothing to do with the game being played Thursday night. The fact is, it DID.

Two points. Covid had zilch or nothing to do with the ORIGINAL scheduled game for Thursday. That was due to local teams using the same field as I pointed out in my post. You also agreed with me and pointed out exactly what I did.

The last part though, Covid had EVERYthing to do with Keeping the game on Thursday and not moving it to Friday when they could have. The field came open for Friday use. Their were not one one, but two official crews available for Friday. There was even a discussion between ADs to talk about moving it to Friday. The conclusion was, not worth the risk of putting it back one day due to Covid risk. What I'm writing now is exactly what I wrote in the original post.

• Wow
Reactions: 21vol
The agreement for the past few years has been to alternate. This was Bluefield’s (WV) turn to play on Friday night. The next time that both teams have home games in the same week then graham will get to play Friday night and Bluefield will move
that reminds me that I watched Steven Peoples from Galax set the single game state rushing record against Graham on a Saturday afternoon there in Mitchell Stadium.

You could have left that part out. Those were some dark days for Graham fans.

Reactions: eh31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT