ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Appomattox State Semifinals

I never questioned anything about parking or shuttle service. I simply asked if they had handicap seating. It sounds as if a ramp on the home side is all that's available. A team playing hard has nothing to do with a facility having adequate seating for those that have severe disabilities but still like to watch and cheer on their football team like the rest of the fans. Again, shame on Appomattox and the VHSL for not providing this. I will be listening to the game on the radio now. Hope both teams have an injury free game.

GO GMEN!!

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Wonder just how many 2a schools have handicap access designated areas. Can tell you i was very displeased with a national facility 10 years ago when i went to Charlotte Motor Speedway. Trust me what we have for access 100 times better than they had.

Reactions: VaTech98
I can only answer for the venues that I have been to on this side of the state. Both 1A and 2A. I can personally only think of one school, Lebanon, that doesn't have handicap seating on both sides. I'm not bashing your facility or the fine people of Appomattox. It's just a long ways to travel to watch the game at ground level from a seated position only to stare at the back sides of those on the sideline. Lol.

If i had the contacts and the pull i'd drop a note to see if the school and or boosters could not come up with an impromtu arangement on visitors side, actually maybe the 4H/ agriculture group could make it a project.

Wonder just how many 2a schools have handicap access designated areas. Can tell you i was very displeased with a national facility 10 years ago when i went to Charlotte Motor Speedway. Trust me what we have for access 100 times better than they had.

I have no beef with Appomattox having home field advantage, y’all earned it. I’m sure parking is fine. the field is fine, and the concession stand food will be fine.

It is a shame there’s not handicap seating on visitor’s side though. It doesn’t take much time or effort to build a wooden ramp with a seating area. Heck your AG classes could probably whip one out in a day or two. An Eagle Scout from Tazewell built one for their stadium earlier this year. Mitchell Stadium has some of the best handicap seating I’ve seen on both sides. Handicap parking is a bit limited though in my opinion. In 2019 there’s really no excuse for any facility , football stadium or motor speedway not to have adequate handicap accessible seating and parking.

I can only answer for the venues that I have been to on this side of the state. Both 1A and 2A. I can personally only think of one school, Lebanon, that doesn't have handicap seating on both sides. I'm not bashing your facility or the fine people of Appomattox. It's just a long ways to travel to watch the game at ground level from a seated position only to stare at the back sides of those on the sideline. Lol.
I understand fully. However, will say we do a great job of policing the walkway area which is raised maybe 4 feet above field level. I can guarantee you if i see someone in a chair trying to watch the game i personally will ask people in a charming way to move lol.

Reactions: VaTech98
I never questioned anything about parking or shuttle service. I simply asked if they had handicap seating. It sounds as if a ramp on the home side is all that's available. A team playing hard has nothing to do with a facility having adequate seating for those that have severe disabilities but still like to watch and cheer on their football team like the rest of the fans. Again, shame on Appomattox and the VHSL for not providing this. I will be listening to the game on the radio now. Hope both teams have an injury free game.

GO GMEN!!
Sorry was responding about something different, not what you said !

I have no beef with Appomattox having home field advantage, y’all earned it. I’m sure parking is fine. the field is fine, and the concession stand food will be fine.

It is a shame there’s not handicap seating on visitor’s side though. It doesn’t take much time or effort to build a wooden ramp with a seating area. Heck your AG classes could probably whip one out in a day or two. An Eagle Scout from Tazewell built one for their stadium earlier this year. Mitchell Stadium has some of the best handicap seating I’ve seen on both sides. Handicap parking is a bit limited though in my opinion. In 2019 there’s really no excuse for any facility , football stadium or motor speedway not to have adequate handicap accessible seating and parking.
I have seen the one at Mitchell stadium I you are right it’s great I even stood right behind there when I was there a couple seasons ago watching a game

Yea pretty positive there isn’t something on visitors side.
I’m sure with the right contacts we could probably get you on the track and possibly back by high jump mats so you could look down the field

Thank you! I completely understand if one can't be in time for the game. Maybe one can be placed for those in the future. That's very nice of you.
I know of a few games where additional bleachers and such were brought in for games so i see no reason why accomodations cant be made. I also just private messaged the AD.
My buddy in a chair was as he called himself one of Jerry's kids. ( Jerry Lewis) My buddies disability really opened my eyes at how rude people can be to those with disabilities. Thought i was going to jail at Charlotte until the manager got involved and we ended up upstairs in the skybox!

Reactions: Stabler1980
Yea pretty positive there isn’t something on visitors side.
I’m sure with the right contacts we could probably get you on the track and possibly back by high jump mats so you could look down the field

help me out here Bob with some contact info, private message me or whatever. I'm making this a personal mission.

I believe there is some on Visitor side at SD, but I am a bit confused. Maybe I misunderstood or just not up to date with it, but aren't most places with Handicap seating only available at the bottom of stands?

I can certainly see the complaint though, and I as well would say something to people who don't respect it

I believe there is some on Visitor side at SD, but I am a bit confused. Maybe I misunderstood or just not up to date with it, but aren't most places with Handicap seating only available at the bottom of stands?

I can certainly see the complaint though, and I as well would say something to people who don't respect it
Dont dare goto Buckingham, all o0f the visitor seating is almost non existent, i take fold up chairs there.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
help me out here Bob with some contact info, private message me or whatever. I'm making this a personal mission.

I was guilty myself of not noticing the inadequacies of handicap facilities in the past. Easily done for sure.

I just sent an email to our AD and principal.
We trying to accommodate ya Tech98!!

That's unfortunate. 2019 and a complex doesn't have adequate seating for those that are handicap. Shame on Appomattox and the VHSL.
There is a ramp, also there spots for handicap seating. Our walk way on bottom of bleachers i very wide where a wheel chair will fit easy and still allow people to pass.

Last edited:
That's a long trip for "day of".
Union was over 2 hours. Appomattox is probably about 3 hours. I’ll take a 3 hour drive over putting up a whole team & coaching staff in a hotel night before a big game. You need to keep things as much like the routine they’re used to as you can in my opinion. A hotel seems like a vacation, camping out with all the guys and those boys need to have “all business” attitude on their minds. This is just my thoughts anyway.

Union was over 2 hours. Appomattox is probably about 3 hours. I’ll take a 3 hour drive over putting up a whole team & coaching staff in a hotel night before a big game. You need to keep things as much like the routine they’re used to as you can in my opinion. A hotel seems like a vacation, camping out with all the guys and those boys need to have “all business” attitude on their minds. This is just my thoughts anyway.

I agree. Just about a 45 minute longer trip then Union. Carlock used to have them pull up in the bus to the field with full gear on when they got off the bus. All business and ready to play.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6

I agree, BUT one needs to keep in mind that a team isn't just going to show up at 2 to play. There are a couple options, show up at least a couple hours early, or stop somewhere on the way to essentially warm up.

A little over 3 hours with no traffic, so add more time with traffic and being on buses.

So say Graham wants to get there by 12, say leave by 8:15. It's not as easy as saying keep it the same, even though I do agree with you

In the past. They have made arrangements to stop on the way to warm up when going to the state playoffs. Graham has a rich history of playoff experience playing up to Div 3 with barely D 2 numbers for over 30 years (petitioned to play up) . and still managed a couple of state titles. Now 4 total.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I agree, BUT one needs to keep in mind that a team isn't just going to show up at 2 to play. There are a couple options, show up at least a couple hours early, or stop somewhere on the way to essentially warm up.

A little over 3 hours with no traffic, so add more time with traffic and being on buses.

So say Graham wants to get there by 12, say leave by 8:15. It's not as easy as saying keep it the same, even though I do agree with you

I know that I got to Union at 6pm and Graham
was already out there warming up. My guess is they’ll leave early enough to arrive in time to get in adequate warm up time.

I know that I got to Union at 6pm and Graham
was already out there warming up. My guess is they’ll leave early enough to arrive in time to get in adequate warm up time.

That's part of my point. I would think they could leave no later than 8:30, so when do you want your kids at the school ready to leave? Eat breakfast before? Again I would like to keep things as normal as possible, but leaving for a game with barely any light out isn't exactly normal, and those long trips can do strange things to teams. My only point was more to think about than just "keep as normal as possible."

Here is a little information regarding ADA and handicap accessibility. It doesn’t seem seating is required on both sides but rather based on overall capacity of the facility. But kudos to Appo folks on here for trying to get something lined up for Graham folks needing accommodations.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Where ya going this week DSH?
IF I go to any I’ll go see my Varina guys. I believe both of the 2A games are the best games in the state this week. I hope Gameday Network streams the games this week so I can watch them all!

Here is a little information regarding ADA and handicap accessibility. It doesn’t seem seating is required on both sides but rather based on overall capacity of the facility. But kudos to Appo folks on here for trying to get something lined up for Graham folks needing accommodations.[/
I al
I also sent an email to our school administration and feel they will be responsive. Not sure if they can make something( ramp) in time but hopefully will make accommodations.I would suggest that if you have others with you have them bring chairs if they were to locate you all inside the fence. I don’t have a clue what they will do but better to plan/prepare as you have. I will say our Building / Grounds Superintendent is like “MacGyver” and is very sympathetic to such issues.

[QUOTE="High School Sportz2, post: 372960, member: 16221
I sent an email to our school administration and feel they will be responsive. Not sure if they can make something( ramp) in time but hopefully will make accommodations.I would suggest that if you have others with you have them bring chairs if they were to locate you all inside the fence. I don’t have a clue what they will do but better to plan/prepare as you have. I will say our Building / Grounds Superintendent is like “MacGyver” and is very sympathetic to such issues.

I am making a road trip somewhere this weekend myself, though I am not sure yet if this will be my destination. It's either going to be here, Cookeville or Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT