ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Appomattox State Semifinals

For what it's worth, I saw the 2016 and 2017 Appo teams in the playoffs, and I saw the 2017, 2018 and this year's Graham teams in the playoffs, all in person, all against Union.

Offensively, I think the 2019 Graham team is better than last year and as good as the 2016 Appo offense.

Defensively, I think the 2019 Graham team is better than last year and as good if not slightly better than the 2016 Appo team.

I haven't seen Appo in person this year, but for those that have, and can compare this year's version to the 2016-17 teams, that summary might give you an idea of where Graham stands.

Without seeing Appo this year, it would be unfair to them to automatically predict Graham. However, knowing how Graham went through the playoffs last year and comparing that to how they played this year, thus far, and taking into account what everyone returned....unless Appomattox has improved a considerable amount from their performance against Radford last year, it will be hard for the Raiders beat Graham.

I know this is a home game for Appo and Graham has to travel 3 hours, but traveling didn't hurt them last year and hasn't hurt them this year. Playing at Bullitt Park, in that environment, affected the GMen 0%. So, I think playing at home will help Appo more than it will hurt Graham.

If both teams play their best games, have 0 turnovers and commit the same number of mistakes, I'd pick Graham by 21. Of course, these are HS kids and sometimes they just don't play their best every game, get nervous, and make untimely mistakes. Appo probably has the discipline advantage and that could make up a few scores.

Going to be a great game, and I hope it's an injury free one. Good Luck to both teams!

Thank you very much to both of you.
Word from the school is there isn't really anything on the visitors side and if they tried to set you up anything over there you probably wouldn't be able to see too well.
They are looking at getting you along the fence but more to the end of the field so you wouldn't have to try to look through the team. I guess inside the fence along the track is a no go due to safety factor if the game went out of bounds and onto the track. Also they are concerned to stay within VHSL guidelines for where folks are allowed for this game inside the fence.
Not 100% sure on anything yet but wheels are in motion.

We are good but not 2015, 2016, or 2017 good.
Still think we can win if we play our game and limit big plays.
We can't get into a scoring match with them.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
BC Knights you always insightful posts. One thing for us you may or may not have known is when we played you guys only 2 of our starting 5 returning lineman played due to injuries and discipline issues...then one of the 2 that played got hurt in the 1st quarter and didn’t return. Also our QB went out early in the 3rd quarter. All of this stuff is part of football, so my point is not to say anything about our loss to you guys ; just that we are a different team now versus when we played you guys. Much like you guys weren’t the same team at the end due to injuries.
I think Saturday’s game will be a close one and possibly a low scoring game. I don’t predict who will win but things like turnovers, penalties, field position and special team play usually make the difference in these types of games. So as they say- that’s why you play the game.

I agree with HSS2 on this one. Lawing has gotten better with passing since playing Buckingham 1st game of season. There is room for improvement, but his junior and senior season should be his final touch years on his passing. Heck of an athlete. I did know about the starters being out that game too. Still.....Buckingham is going to be the boogeyman for a few years...they dont lose nobody this year. They have a great youth program. Seth Wilkerson is doing a great job there as we all know he would. Should have had the job before the guy in Petersburg trashed that towns program.

Dont dare goto Buckingham, all o0f the visitor seating is almost non existent, i take fold up chairs there.
Nah, Buckingham upgraded a little bit....before 2015, I didnt even want to step on them wooden bleachers. i thought they was dry rotted and about to break...them boards would wobble on every step. LOL, glad they got something better, but they not high at all.

I think this is a interesting game all the way around. The first meeting of the 2 teams ever! Great stuff!

What worries me the most on this game is this Appo team dont have the athletes of 2015-2017 to cover the spread and we have not seen enough of the spread this year...especially with the athletes Graham has. Grahams O reminds me of Richlands back in 2015-2016. The only reason we could compete with Richlands that year was our ability to cover spread. This is what Im most interested in.

Asbury for Richlands in 2015-16 was a more accurate pocket passer, but Lester is a dangerous runner and better athlete in general while still being a very good HS QB.

With his 4.5 speed and quickness, he can turn a seemingly 5 yard sack for a loss into a 30 yard gain like it's nothing. Something Asbury couldn't do.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I think this is a interesting game all the way around. The first meeting of the 2 teams ever! Great stuff!

What worries me the most on this game is this Appo team dont have the athletes of 2015-2017 to cover the spread and we have not seen enough of the spread this year...especially with the athletes Graham has. Grahams O reminds me of Richlands back in 2015-2016. The only reason we could compete with Richlands that year was our ability to cover spread. This is what Im most interested in.
Graham will definitely spread it out and have 4 very athletic receivers with great hands. Graham can run out of the spread or line it up tight and run. They have a very good rb in Trey Booker and the qb is a very good athlete with 4.5 speed and is strong and can deliver a blow to whoever is trying to tackle him. Their offense is as good as any you will see in 2A. I would be hard pressed to find a better defense in 2A, but I hear that Appo has a very good defense also. If I were to compare this year's Graham team to last year's, I would say that the offense is just as good. (even without Cam Allen). Lester, Booker, Ray, Turner, Dales and Justice can all take it to the house. The defense is just as good, maybe slightly better. Edwards and Kastner have done incredible at the LB positions and Grahams secondary is top notch. Only weak area I can see is possibly the inconsistent line play on both sides of the ball, but they have improved a bunch.
Mental mistakes have been an issue as well. Some games they have way too many penalties. Thought they had fixed it but it popped up again last week.

Last edited:
I don’t know about beating the Skins but legit question. How many 4.5 kids do these two teams have? It sounds like there will be a pile of athletes between the two so I was just curious.

I can remember the G-men coming to Rustburg back around 90-92 not exactly sure but I that time period. They were huge and very fast , cold as all get out ,think the Red Devils shocked them that Saturday like 9-7, so anything can happen this time of year no matter how good you think you are .

Not sure about all of their 40 times, but Marcus Ray and Xayvion Turner have jets.

I tend to agree that Graham’s offense and defense this year match up just a good as last year’s. My only concern is the absence of Kiser. When one of your starters it out, it hurts, period. He started on both offense & defense. I hope the coaches come up with a game play to adjust for his absence that keeps the O & D playing strong. The offense has an arsenal of weapons which makes them dangerous. It’s not a one player show. They can mix it up every play. Lester is phenomenal as a player and leader and many options as QB. The defense has been lights out lately. Kastner and Edwards are tough! If there’s a head to be hunted Edwards will find it. I’m hoping for a great contest between the Raiders and GMen, no injuries for either team, & exemplary officiating. And good weather, lol!

Reactions: 19GHS87
I tend to agree that Graham’s offense and defense this year match up just a good as last year’s. My only concern is the absence of Kiser. When one of your starters it out, it hurts, period. He started on both offense & defense. I hope the coaches come up with a game play to adjust for his absence that keeps the O & D playing strong. The offense has an arsenal of weapons which makes them dangerous. It’s not a one player show. They can mix it up every play. Lester is phenomenal as a player and leader and many options as QB. The defense has been lights out lately. Kastner and Edwards are tough! If there’s a head to be hunted Edwards will find it. I’m hoping for a great contest between the Raiders and GMen, no injuries for either team, & exemplary officiating. And good weather, lol!

Yes, we definitely need some exemplary officiating. Ive seen too many games where the officials played too big of a role in the outcome. 2010 State finals come to mind.

Sounds like they can beat the redskins the way all you guys are talking about the G-men.
Nobody is talking that way. Any team is beatable including the GMen. They’ve been beat twice this year. I think most of us are speaking to their strengths and they have played better lately than first few games. I know Appomattox will be ready and GMen better be on their A game to have a chance.

I believe they will have it figured out. At least we are completely healthy and only have to worry about one position. There are a couple of kids that can fill in ncely. His replacement is a freshman, but plays well for a freshman.

Graham has a loss to a 2A team this year, I don't believe anyone is saying it won't be a great game between two very good teams.

I don't know the situation, but I hate to see any kid miss out on the last games of their senior year.
Well let me put it into perspective for you. Smartest kid on the team. He will graduate very high in his class. One of the most laid back kids that's probably ever put a helmet on to play the game of football. Not trying to be funny but this kid has probably never been in timeout. Not because he's a spoiled brat but because he's just that good of a kid. I would have bet my next months salary that he wouldn't have thrown two punches...........Why he did it? I do not know. I really hate it for this boy. Can't stress that enough. And no he's not my son nor is he family.

Appomattox has its share of speedy guys as well . If the G-Men have guys in 4.5 - we need to make sure they don’t get outside ..lol I would say our kids play to the competition so this week should be fun. We’ve seen quite a few athletic QB’s this year and our Defensive Coordinator usually creates some good schemes to keep one player from beating us. I’ve watched some film on the Qb and he is pretty quick ( not sure of 4.5) has a nice arm and seems pretty tough playing both ways. WR’s also look good . Very good punter/kicker who is also a Nice WR. This Graham team reminds me more of RE Lee in 2017 than Richlands 2015. Concerning last year our QB was a freshman and did a great job running the veer but hadn’t progressed as a passer. So we were more one dimensional. This year he has come along nicely with many targets to choose from. Not disrespecting Radford but last year we played like we were in a fog. I think it was inexperience partly and credit to Radford for making some key plays. Coach Smith will use all tools as needed so we are not just one dimensional. Concerning our 2015,2016 and 2017 teams and the last two years of Graham teams being better than them- I honestly don’t think either could touch our 2016 team and I think most folks would agree. We beat 3A and 4A teams pretty handily that year. 2015 & 2017 were very good but 2016 was deep in all positions 4 quality RB’s , 4 -5 quality WR’s , dedicated 0 line and our defensive line had a lot of depth with big guys and smaller quick guys( squirrels) all going 1 way. Our LBs/ secondary was made up with D-1/D-2 players; and we had great special teams.But,you can never win those comparisons so no need to waste the effort. Having said all of that - I’m not “sleeping” on my 2019 Raiders they eve been underestimated all season.Bring on Saturday!

Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool2
[QUOTE="I’m not “sleeping” on my 2019 Raiders they eve been underestimated all season.Bring on Saturday![/QUOTE]

I guarantee Tony Palmer & company aren’t sleeping on the Raiders either. They won’t underestimate them. They know they’re playing the best team they’ve faced since Bluefield. They know they’ll have to bring their A game to win. I look forward to a great game! Go GMen!!!!! Thank goodness weather shows sunny!!!!! Cold but sunny! I’ll take it!

[QUOTE="I’m not “sleeping” on my 2019 Raiders they eve been underestimated all season.Bring on Saturday!

I guarantee Tony Palmer & company aren’t sleeping on the Raiders either. They won’t underestimate them. They know they’re playing the best team they’ve faced since Bluefield. They know they’ll have to bring their A game to win. I look forward to a great game! Go GMen!!!!! Thank goodness weather shows sunny!!!!! Cold but sunny! I’ll take it![/QUOTE]

Coach Smith is one of the best at all levels (not just coaching)....i know they sleep at the high school on days after the game to work out kinks. Its crazy insane efforts what he has done to build that program..like i was telling someone the other day..he is one of the best genuine people i have met in my life...YOU ARE BLESSED to have a conversation with this man.. Such a great dude

That weight room is top notch, Bermuda grass on field, scouts coming in daily, great coaching staff, and fans coming to games nowadays since he came. I cant begin to tell you the things he changed in that program to make it this successful.

I guarantee Tony Palmer & company aren’t sleeping on the Raiders either. They won’t underestimate them. They know they’re playing the best team they’ve faced since Bluefield. They know they’ll have to bring their A game to win. I look forward to a great game! Go GMen!!!!! Thank goodness weather shows sunny!!!!! Cold but sunny! I’ll take it!

Coach Smith is one of the best at all levels (not just coaching)....i know they sleep at the high school on days after the game to work out kinks. Its crazy insane efforts what he has done to build that program..like i was telling someone the other day..he is one of the best genuine people i have met in my life...YOU ARE BLESSED to have a conversation with this man.. Such a great dude

That weight room is top notch, Bermuda grass on field, scouts coming in daily, great coaching staff, and fans coming to games nowadays since he came. I cant begin to tell you the things he changed in that program to make it this successful.[/QUOTE]

I have only heard great things about Coach Smith as a coach and person. He obviously knows football and how to build a program.

I will add like High School Sports said above, the 2016 team beat a 1 seed team in 3a and what would have been a 2 seed ( had they not lost to us) in 4a. We beat them 35-13 I think.
2016 was a special group loaded with athletes.
The squirrels on the D line would be past O lineman and disrupting handoffs before the o line knew what was going on ( ask any Goochlands fan).

2019 Raiders have been building all year and they are ready to take the next step. Beating Graham is a y’all task but they will come in ready to play.
We got weapons too that they will have to respect.

Well let me put it into perspective for you. Smartest kid on the team. He will graduate very high in his class. One of the most laid back kids that's probably ever put a helmet on to play the game of football. Not trying to be funny but this kid has probably never been in timeout. Not because he's a spoiled brat but because he's just that good of a kid. I would have bet my next months salary that he wouldn't have thrown two punches...........Why he did it? I do not know. I really hate it for this boy. Can't stress that enough. And no he's not my son nor is he family.
I hate to hear that. Sometimes you don't know what happens or is said on the field to set someone off.

Coach Smith called a TO towards the end of the Gretna game when they realized the game was over and some of them started “ playing unclean”. He told the boys to not get baited into anything and that Gretna players had nothing to lose at this point but we/you do.
Sounds like a good kid got baited possibly for you guys. Feel bad for him.

I reckon I am making the drive up from Bristol for this one. Might bring a couple with me as well. A friend of mine from Dan River is supposed to meet me there as well. Hopefully @Bo Bob saves us some seats. :)

Reactions: oldfool2
Coach Smith called a TO towards the end of the Gretna game when they realized the game was over and some of them started “ playing unclean”. He told the boys to not get baited into anything and that Gretna players had nothing to lose at this point but we/you do.
Sounds like a good kid got baited possibly for you guys. Feel bad for him.
That happens a lot. James Mitchell is one of the nicest, most pleasant young men I've ever seen, but he almost got caught up against a Letcher Co, KY player in 2016 due to the Letcher kid throwing out racist slurs. Letcher kid ended up getting ejected after going off against the officials. That was a wild game. Police had to come onto the field and separate teams and players.

And I hate to rag on Wise Central after their great season, but they have some sort of heated rivalry with nearly every area team in one sport or another. They tried to bait Union hard in 2015.

Wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they did the same to the Graham player on Saturday.

That happens a lot. James Mitchell is one of the nicest, most pleasant young men I've ever seen, but he almost got caught up against a Letcher Co, KY player in 2016 due to the Letcher kid throwing out racist slurs. Letcher kid ended up getting ejected after going off against the officials. That was a wild game. Police had to come onto the field and separate teams and players.

And I hate to rag on Wise Central after their great season, but they have some sort of heated rivalry with nearly every area team in one sport or another. They tried to bait Union hard in 2015.

Wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they did the same to the Graham player on Saturday.
It was getting chippy out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT