ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Appomattox State Semifinals

Here is what was just sent to me from our AD for ya Tech98

Bob,
Timmy and I went out and looked yesterday. Here is what we have come up with. The lower bleachers at the far left of the visitor side we are going to make a handicap section, and it will be labeled as such. This is at about the 20 yard line so it should not interfere with watching the game since the players will be stopped at the 30 yard line. As for watching the game at the other end, the players usually move down the sideline to follow where the ball is. So the view should not be blocked. If that does not work, we can have them park their car on the edge of the practice field, like we did a few weeks ago, and they can watch the game from their car.
Please pass this information along.

I reckon I am making the drive up from Bristol for this one. Might bring a couple with me as well. A friend of mine from Dan River is supposed to meet me there as well. Hopefully @Bo Bob saves us some seats. :)
Will do my best. Seems my wife nad I save seats for half the county.
I'll be to the right of the press box if you looking from the field. Can't promise anything.
Don't come over cheering for Graham though. You might get thrown out and I'll be slaughtered! LOL!!!!!

I talked to Mitchell in2017 after we beat them at Bullitt Field and he was a very nice young man. Sometimes in the heat of things these emotional breaks happen. I do think coaches need to take control of those “ Chippy” situations instead of letting it continue. Regardless of who has done what.

Bob,
Timmy and I went out and looked yesterday. Here is what we have come up with. The lower bleachers at the far left of the visitor side we are going to make a handicap section, and it will be labeled as such. This is at about the 20 yard line so it should not interfere with watching the game since the players will be stopped at the 30 yard line. As for watching the game at the other end, the players usually move down the sideline to follow where the ball is. So the view should not be blocked. If that does not work, we can have them park their car on the edge of the practice field, like we did a few weeks ago, and they can watch the game from their car.

You're a stand up guy! Much respect. And props to the Appo administration for attempting a solution. I tried something similar in 2017 to accommodate a Richlands fan for the semifinal that wanted to sit on the Union side. No attempt was made by the former Union administration. It was basically sit on the visitors' side or the track around the field.

Bob,
Thanks Bob i knew you were the man with the right contacts to have things checked out. Great job.

That happens a lot. James Mitchell is one of the nicest, most pleasant young men I've ever seen, but he almost got caught up against a Letcher Co, KY player in 2016 due to the Letcher kid throwing out racist slurs. Letcher kid ended up getting ejected after going off against the officials. That was a wild game. Police had to come onto the field and separate teams and players.

And I hate to rag on Wise Central after their great season, but they have some sort of heated rivalry with nearly every area team in one sport or another. They tried to bait Union hard in 2015.

Wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if they did the same to the Graham player on Saturday.

Wise get chippy? Why I never! I can't imagine that ever happening, ever!!

lolol

Will do my best. Seems my wife nad I save seats for half the county.
I'll be to the right of the press box if you looking from the field. Can't promise anything.
Don't come over cheering for Graham though. You might get thrown out and I'll be slaughtered! LOL!!!!!

Not pulling for Graham. Don't worry about that. :)

Reactions: Bo Bob
This was asked in another thread I thought I’d repost in this one

How is Graham's passing game ? If Gretna had had a passing game, they might still be playing.

They have a very capable passing game. The QB Devin Lester (ODU commit) can throw it 40-50 yards in the air and is pretty accurate on shorter throws. Sometimes he takes off running too quickly instead of going through his progessions but most of the time he’s the best athlete on the field so Graham doesn’t really mind it. Here’s his highlight tape that you can see

They have 4 really good receivers. Two seniors on the outside in Isiaiah Justice & Joey Dales and their slot guys senior Marqus Ray & sophomore Xayvion Turner (former NFL rb Ahmad Bradshaw’s son) who are both speedsters.

Joey Dales

Xayvion Turner

Marqus Ray

Isaiah Justice

Last edited:
This was asked in another thread I thought I’d repost in this one

They have 3 really good receivers. Two seniors on the outside in Isiaiah Justice & Joey Dales and their slot guy Xayvion Turner (former NFL rb Ahmad Bradshaw’s son) is a speedster.

you’re forgetting Marqus Ray who may be the best out of all them.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
SWVA isn’t cheering for Region D team to win, well, that’s unfortunate. I guess I figured us SWVA folks stuck together, lol. I mean if Ridgeview was in it instead of Graham, I’d be pulling for the Wolfpack.

Most of the area will surely be supporting Graham, but I think all the talk might have rubbed some the wrong way. I was right in the thick of it and I'm still gonna support Graham but havoc has a little more self respect and pride than I do lol

Serious Question for the Appomattox folks. If I got to the stadium at 1:00, would I get a seat? I don't see how I can make it until about 1:00.

SWVA isn’t cheering for Region D team to win, well, that’s unfortunate. I guess I figured us SWVA folks stuck together, lol. I mean if Ridgeview was in it instead of Graham, I’d be pulling for the Wolfpack.
Same.

Serious Question for the Appomattox folks. If I got to the stadium at 1:00, would I get a seat? I don't see how I can make it until about 1:00.
1 should be good, but no way anyone can say with 100 percent certainty. I'm hoping they bring in additional bleachers like they they have done a few times in the past.

Question for you good folks from Graham. Does anybody livestream your games and do they have to pay a fee to the VHSL to do it?

What is the story behind "PO1" and Fa17th"? Just curious.
PO1 stands for Power of one. The team came up with this in 2015 when the community faced alot 0f turmoil. We had multiple trajedies of a teacher and some students passing on. The day or night before Union came to play us another student was killed in a car wreck. That game was dedicated to him and the team played that game to honor that student, probably main reason they beat Union like they did. If you goto you tube and search for Appomattox Raiders Football you will find many video's dealing with PO1.

1 should be good, but no way anyone can say with 100 percent certainty. I'm hoping they bring in additional bleachers like they they have done a few times in the past.
Additional Bleachers may be a good idea. I would expect a good crowd from not just Graham, but from other folks in our area. We got a lot of support last year from our Bluefield, WV friends and Tazewell County friends as well. Not to mention some of the folks that always seems to travel to support Southwest Virginia. Bluefield WV is playing for a state title on friday night themselves, so there may not be as many of them in attendance.

Reactions: oldfool2
Additional Bleachers may be a good idea. I would expect a good crowd from not just Graham, but from other folks in our area. We got a lot of support last year from our Bluefield, WV friends and Tazewell County friends as well. Not to mention some of the folks that always seems to travel to support Southwest Virginia. Bluefield WV is playing for a state title on friday night themselves, so there may not be as many of them in attendance.
Love the way you guys in SWVA get together and support the teams. I do the same here just not as vocally as i do the Raiders.

The last playoff game I attended at appomattox, I sit in a folding chair on the bank beyond the north end zone. Is it still possible to do this again.

I know absolutely no one from Graham. I know and have met Bo Bob multiple times. I also have a friend from Dan River who I will be meeting at the game as well.

And yes, the guy over on the SWVA forum pissed me off and soured me against Graham. He's probably the only bad apple of the bunch and the rest of y'all are probably humble but one bad apple is all it takes.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
I know absolutely no one from Graham. I know and have met Bo Bob multiple times. I also have a friend from Dan River who I will be meeting at the game as well.

And yes, the guy over on the SWVA forum pissed me off and soured me against Graham. He's probably the only bad apple of the bunch and the rest of y'all are probably humble but one bad apple is all it takes.

Well every fan base has at least "one" of those fans, lol. My philosophy is water off a ducks back.

Reactions: oldfool2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT