ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Appomattox State Semifinals

Truth be known, semi finals should be held in venues that can handle a big crowd. No offense to appomattox, but they do not have facilities to host semi finals. Having to shuttle fans in on bus is not good. There's probably a long line at the concession stand right now. Same for restrooms. I wish game was at Graham. Much better venue.
I have seen much worse facilities than Appo.

When Vic Hall was playing, like the coach said, it doesn't matter whether we were at home, on the road or playing in a parking lot somewhere.
I will admit gretna doesn't have good facilities, but we never had to run shuttle buses, and we had some big crowds.

Gretna played on the road against Graham in the state semifinal game in 2003ish and won a close one. Graham, with Ahmad Bradshaw almost beat Vic and Gretna. I don't think that Gretna had a close game that entire year other than Graham. Get a won the state title, but even then, another "G" team was right there with em in Graham.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Yep, I remember seeing Vic Hall and Ahmad Bradshaw on the field at the same time and even then, at that moment, we knew we were seeing two of Va's among the best to play on both sides of the ball at that level. They were both two of the best I've seen.

Watching this online. No offense here, but Appo Coaching Staff-1, Graham Coaching Staff-0. Talent edge slight favor to Graham, but Appo is completely fooling them to move the ball. Coach Smith is worth 10 points every time Appo steps on the field.

I'm rooting for the GMen, but you can feel it, this game is all but over. Graham has been completely outcoached on both sides of the ball in this game.

Reactions: BCKnights
It's 22-13 Appo at the half, Graham gets ball to start second half. Appomattox has been the better team so far, but by no means do I believe the game is over.

For what it's worth, I saw the 2016 and 2017 Appo teams in the playoffs, and I saw the 2017, 2018 and this year's Graham teams in the playoffs, all in person, all against Union.

Offensively, I think the 2019 Graham team is better than last year and as good as the 2016 Appo offense.

Defensively, I think the 2019 Graham team is better than last year and as good if not slightly better than the 2016 Appo team.

You honestly believe that this Graham team is “slightly better” or “as good” as the 2016 Appomattox defense!? Hahahahahahaha!

This year’s Appomattox offense is not good and they are putting up 22 in one half on this defense. This year’s Appo offense would struggle for points against the 2016 Appo defensive unit.

You honestly believe that this Graham team is “slightly better” or “as good” as the 2016 Appomattox defense!? Hahahahahahaha!

This year’s Appomattox offense is not good and they are putting up 22 in one half on this defense. This year’s Appo offense would struggle for points against the 2016 Appo defensive unit.
GRAHAM is not even close to our 2016 team. Another team way overhyped.

It's 22-13 Appo at the half, Graham gets ball to start second half. Appomattox has been the better team so far, but by no means do I believe the game is over.
Agree. Graham has the better athletes, but Appo is out smarting them right now.

Its only halftime sir.

For those hating on the Graham comparison to Appo 2016. I was referring to how both teams played Union. I thought that was obvious, but I guess not.

I have no control or ability to predict how they will play others.

Reactions: VaTech98
3rd and 3 for Graham deep in Appo territory two times in the 4th qtr. Graham calls 2 passes and doesn't let Lester use his feet.

The very same thing happened again with Graham having 3rd and 3 deep in Appo territory and their coaching staff calls a pass, then a run to the RB. These little things lost Graham the game. They have four attempts there and they don't allow Lester to use his feet on any of the four plays.

I had Appo winning this by a touchdown exactly for one reason. The two teams were similar in talent, but a monumental coaching difference and that became apparent today. I'm writing this not to knock Graham's staff, but to show how ahead of the field Doug Smith is compared to his coaching peers. It's why Appo comes behind in a seemingly fluke type comeback to beat Richlands a few years ago, or why they beat Union in a nail biter at Big Stone Gap. It is Coaching.

I think Graham will look back and realize they let one get by them. GMen didn't play to their potential and Appo took advantage of every opportunity.

Hats off to Appp for making another trip to Salem.

I thought Graham's play calling was questionable.

Refs threw too many flags, on both teams.

5 TD passes in game. My kind of game.

I thought Graham should've tried to establish a run game. Appomattox completely out smarted Graham to win this game. The Raiders pinned their ears back and brought the heat all game. Great execution. Great win.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Appomattox shouldn’t have scored three of those TDs; totally blown coverage. Graham is better than what they played today. They needed their A game to win. The intensity wasn’t there. Appo is good!

It went under 50, and Appo did win. Exactly what I thought. A game in the 30s favored Graham, a game like this is Appos game and they executed extremely well. Excellent coaching, scheming wide open TDs. Didn't let their chances get away whereas Graham did. Better team today won.

Both teams played hard and left it on the field as Stabler80 said. Hats off to Graham they were a great team who played until the last down and were hard-nosed, class acts. We feel fortunate to have won. That was a championship feel today. Congrats to our Raiders & coaching staff. A lot of dedicated hours , blood , sweat and tears paid off. Enjoy the weekend and remember it’s 0-0 Monday !

all respect to Union Fan, I have never had a problem with him, but Gator beat me to this post...I had this one tucked away...

2015, 2016, and 2017 team would have blew this Graham team away. This team is good, but them previous teams were superior! I dont have to say no more. I actually stand corrected.....I thought we was going to lose before the game. Thats why you PLAY THE GAME and not let the highlight HUDL vids sway your decision.

Hudl dont show everything...Im not saying Gmen gave up, but you can see who wanted it more from 1st qtr.

Reactions: oldfool2
3rd and 3 for Graham deep in Appo territory two times in the 4th qtr. Graham calls 2 passes and doesn't let Lester use his feet.

The very same thing happened again with Graham having 3rd and 3 deep in Appo territory and their coaching staff calls a pass, then a run to the RB. These little things lost Graham the game. They have four attempts there and they don't allow Lester to use his feet on any of the four plays.

I had Appo winning this by a touchdown exactly for one reason. The two teams were similar in talent, but a monumental coaching difference and that became apparent today. I'm writing this not to knock Graham's staff, but to show how ahead of the field Doug Smith is compared to his coaching peers. It's why Appo comes behind in a seemingly fluke type comeback to beat Richlands a few years ago, or why they beat Union in a nail biter at Big Stone Gap. It is Coaching.

FLUKE in 2015??? Really???? Richlands was better in 2015 than 2016, Buckingham was a powerhouse in 2015. 2015 beat them both! That buckingham team of 2015 was a force! If Richlands didnt knock them off in a close game.....it would have been another BATTLE OF THE AXE game!

There was no Fluke! The Raiders SHOWED UP and PO1 showed up! NOT GIVING UP! Richlands didnt get out coached, Appo just showed heart and the will to win!

I will die on my grave saying the 2015 team O was better (coach smith took out starters at halftime that year), but the D was better in 2016 (that D was phenomenal).

FLUKE in 2015??? Really???? Richlands was better in 2015 than 2016, Buckingham was a powerhouse in 2015. 2015 beat them both! That buckingham team of 2015 was a force! If Richlands didnt knock them off in a close game.....it would have been another BATTLE OF THE AXE game!

There was no Fluke! The Raiders SHOWED UP and PO1 showed up! NOT GIVING UP! Richlands didnt get out coached, Appo just showed heart and the will to win!

I will die on my grave saying the 2015 team O was better (coach smith took out starters at halftime that year), but the D was better in 2016 (that D was phenomenal).

You could very well be right, but you do have a bit of bias if I remember correctly. I think that all 3 years that Appomattox just had the best team.

Good luck to the Raiders Saturdayx even though I hope they are on the losing end this time. They are probably the team I keep track of the most in 2a aside from SD

Call it blown coverage or just a good play by Appo , either way it’s a TD. And Appo had two blown coverages also so graham could have been shut out but its a TD samething .
I wouldnt call it blown coverage either. Appo did a great balance of plays. Great passing attack and then go back to the split back veer. they kept the D honest. Appo saw a weakness in pass coverage and used it well.

Coach smith did some questionable plays that helped out as well (fake punt, 2 pt conversion). Then actually tried a onside kick....Appo is well coached on both sides of the ball.

I believe it was 3rd appomattox TD in first half, Graham completely blew coverage. That was a gift TD.

On a 4th and 2 play in 4th qtr, Graham ran worst play in their playbook, and appomattox stopped it cold. That was ball game in my opinion.

Parking wasn't as bad as I thought it be. I rode to game with a friend from Lynchburg. He knew the school grounds and drove behind school and parked near bank at east end zone. Short walk to field.

Crowd wasn't as big as I thought it would be.

Reactions: BCKnights
all respect to Union Fan, I have never had a problem with him, but Gator beat me to this post...I had this one tucked away...

2015, 2016, and 2017 team would have blew this Graham team away. This team is good, but them previous teams were superior! I dont have to say no more. I actually stand corrected.....I thought we was going to lose before the game. Thats why you PLAY THE GAME and not let the highlight HUDL vids sway your decision.

Hudl dont show everything...Im not saying Gmen gave up, but you can see who wanted it more from 1st qtr.

And 2018 Graham would’ve blown you guys away but you couldn’t even beat Radford who we demolished.

I'd say 1 of those tds were blown coverage. I think the 2nd and 3rd completely fooled #20. I noticed they went at him alot. At the same time Trey Lawing extended those plays long enough to create the breakdown in coverage. I thought he played one heck of a game and willed his team. We he went down in the 1st you could hear a pin drop. He was hurt all game, he would've took 2 runs to the house if he wasn't. Baffling to me that Graham ran the ball as little as they did. 2nd 2, 2nd and 1 2nd and 3 and they threw the ball the next 3 plays. The one time I thought they would let Lester use his legs they ran it up the middle.

My pleasure to meet some Graham folks before the game that made the trip up and the guy who radio for them.
Congrats to Graham on a good season! I enjoyed the story about how the QB took the #5 for his jersey.

Reactions: GMan_Fan
And 2018 Graham would’ve blown you guys away but you couldn’t even beat Radford who we demolished.
That game we showed up flat and did not play as a team. Too many young players wanted to be a hero and blew it.

I believe it was 3rd appomattox TD in first half, Graham completely blew coverage. That was a gift TD.

On a 4th and 2 play in 4th qtr, Graham ran worst play in their playbook, and appomattox stopped it cold. That was ball game in my opinion.

Agreed. After the terrible inside run call (which had not worked all day) and getting stuffed inside the 25, I turned it off. I knew game was over. Appo cashed in on their chances, Graham didnt, and that's the ballgame.

And 2015, 2016, or 2017 Appomattox would have beaten 2018 Graham.

I heard a lot of hype about this Graham team....I was at the game, I didn’t see why the hype was there.

Did they have speed? Yes, but nothing that a couple of adjustments couldn’t handle (which Smith implemented at half and Graham didn’t score again).

Was their QB good? Ehhh....he was fair. Smith was able to keep him in the pocket the majority of the time and everyone saw that Lester’s arm wasn’t going to beat anyone.

Graham’s offensive line and defensive line play was mediocre.

Their DB play was suspect, especially against a team like Appomattox. All that speed, yet, Appomattox had multiple big plays. You can have as much speed in the world, but, if your football IQ is low.....you’ll get exposed.

Overall, Graham was a solid ball club. But after reading everything on here I was fully expecting something much more than I saw....

Congrats to Graham on a successful season.

And 2015, 2016, or 2017 Appomattox would have beaten 2018 Graham.

I heard a lot of hype about this Graham team....I was at the game, I didn’t see why the hype was there.

Did they have speed? Yes, but nothing that a couple of adjustments couldn’t handle (which Smith implemented at half and Graham didn’t score again).

Was their QB good? Ehhh....he was fair. Smith was able to keep him in the pocket the majority of the time and everyone saw that Lester’s arm wasn’t going to beat anyone.

Graham’s offensive line and defensive line play was mediocre.

Their DB play was suspect, especially against a team like Appomattox. All that speed, yet, Appomattox had multiple big plays. You can have as much speed in the world, but, if your football IQ is low.....you’ll get exposed.

Overall, Graham was a solid ball club. But after reading everything on here I was fully expecting something much more than I saw....

Congrats to Graham on a successful season.

I don’t think anybody is claiming our 2018 team or this one are as good as those Appo teams though. Not sure what you were reading where people were hyping them up to those levels. I surely wasn’t.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT