ADVERTISEMENT

GW at Marion

Chilwar25

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 20, 2010
This game will be a very good test for Marion ( 2-0 ). GW has been cruising also ( 2-0 ).
Neither team has played a very tough team yet, and Marion was probably not on GW's radar,
At this time of the season. Marion is pretty solid, both on O and D. Not so sure how
Marion Will do against 2A competition, but GW is probably just as good or better than most
2A Teams in SWVA. I do not think it will be a quick blow out, but GW should win by a good
margin.

I think they might keep up for a Q maybe 2 but once we get rolling we will pull away by at least 5 tds. Just my opinion I've watched every bit of film I could find on marion this season. And the do not have the numbers, size, depth, speed, or nearly the amount of weapons. It's no disrespect to them but they will be out classed in this match up. Like I've said before Chilwar this is one of the best teams GW has ever fielded.

And the game last night is going to be a bit deceptive to people who weren't there. Yeah the score showed a 40-13 win but GW was easily 9-10 TDs better than fc. But Coach pulled the dogs when Beamer got the wind knocked out of him when he ran a td. It was 40-0 early in the 3rd so he pulled the Varsity and the JV played the rest. And my word they looked horrible against fc varsity. The ball was on the ground 70% of the time. With that said I think it will be GW-56 marion-10 maybe a little more for them if they get some over the top.

Hey Blaster, I don't doubt for one minute that GW will roll at Marion.But they will be
The best squad you guys have faced so far; and By miles GW will be the best team
Marion has played so far. GW is very strong this year, and it looks like Galax will be
The only team to give you guys a game on this end of the State.
It is early yet, but in about a month, things will begin to shape up as who be the teams
To really watch. Hurley will be strong once they get past their discipline issues, and
PH is going to be tough . So you got GW, Galax, Hurley, and PH. We have to remember
That Parry McCluer is in the West now, and once they get that 3 headed monster of
RB'S going, I figure they will be in the mix. ( Correct me if I am wrong, but I think PM
Is in the West.)
With a RB like Humphrey, nothing is out of reach for PH. I think the West is going to
Field some real strong teams in November...and who knows, there may be a sleeper
Or two to slide right in there too. Did I leave out anyone, beside my good friend over
At Bland. Those Bears are playing with a lot of heart right now with all their injuries,
So when they get healthy, they might make some noise also. I left out one other team,
Those folks over at Narrows. Talk about a hungry bunch, those Green monsters
Just may be on the prowl come November.
You just never know, look what Richmond did to UVA today......Ouch !!!! And Appy
State embrassed Tennessee for the most part. How did I get on College ball?

Last edited:
Pump the brakes a little.

Marion is one of our tougher games on the schedule, and it falls right before Galax. I don't care about spreads or predictions or anything like that. It doesn't matter, anyway. We just need to score one more point than they do, and I'll be cool with that.

I like our team a lot, and they have a ton of potential. It's wayyyy too early to say this is one of the best GW teams ever, though. To be honest, this team doesn't need to be that. It's not even fair to put that on them. They just need to be the better team that the one they face each Friday, and good things will happen.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
GW nice post. Without a doubt GW is always strong and they are huge and well coached. But I just can't see where after losing in the state semi's and replacing 8 on defense most everyone is crowning them champs. They along with Galax are the true contenders of the West while a few other are only pretenders right now. I do thin there are 3-4 teams that could shape up and challenge though

GW nice post. Without a doubt GW is always strong and they are huge and well coached. But I just can't see where after losing in the state semi's and replacing 8 on defense most everyone is crowning them champs. They along with Galax are the true contenders of the West while a few other are only pretenders right now. I do thin there are 3-4 teams that could shape up and challenge though
Deacon Beamer is out for the Marion game and probably the Galax game.

GW sure has a lot to live up to this year with all the hype I've heard this year, I have no doubt they're a very good team and they may very well be in Salem at years end but their is still a whole lot of football to be played so time will tell. As for Galax, a lot of people are talking about them being contenders and they may be but from watching them in a benefit game and two regular season games they have a lot of work to do to get even close to the caliber of team they were at the end of last year. With that being said they started 1-4 last year and went on one of heck of a run so anything is possible. A lot of football to be played before anyone can get to Salem and for Galax coach Dixon will have them concentrating on RR this week then just go week by week and try to get the kids to improve through out the year like they did last year.

Hey Blaster, I don't doubt for one minute that GW will roll at Marion.But they will be
The best squad you guys have faced so far; and By miles GW will be the best team
Marion has played so far. GW is very strong this year, and it looks like Galax will be
The only team to give you guys a game on this end of the State.
It is early yet, but in about a month, things will begin to shape up as who be the teams
To really watch. Hurley will be strong once they get past their discipline issues, and
PH is going to be tough . So you got GW, Galax, Hurley, and PH. We have to remember
That Parry McCluer is in the West now, and once they get that 3 headed monster of
RB'S going, I figure they will be in the mix. ( Correct me if I am wrong, but I think PM
Is in the West.)
With a RB like Humphrey, nothing is out of reach for PH. I think the West is going to
Field some real strong teams in November...and who knows, there may be a sleeper
Or two to slide right in there too. Did I leave out anyone, beside my good friend over
At Bland. Those Bears are playing with a lot of heart right now with all their injuries,
So when they get healthy, they might make some noise also. I left out one other team,
Those folks over at Narrows. Talk about a hungry bunch, those Green monsters
Just may be on the prowl come November.
You just never know, look what Richmond did to UVA today......Ouch !!!! And Appy
State embrassed Tennessee for the most part. How did I get on College ball?
No doubt we will be the best team that each other has seen. And yes we need to get to work on fixing some small stuff and getting kids in place. And who knows we might end up 2-8 only the kids play will determine that. But we shall see we definitely have everything we née to be one of the last ones standing but the kids have to make it happen.

Pump the brakes a little.

Marion is one of our tougher games on the schedule, and it falls right before Galax. I don't care about spreads or predictions or anything like that. It doesn't matter, anyway. We just need to score one more point than they do, and I'll be cool with that.

I like our team a lot, and they have a ton of potential. It's wayyyy too early to say this is one of the best GW teams ever, though. To be honest, this team doesn't need to be that. It's not even fair to put that on them. They just need to be the better team that the one they face each Friday, and good things will happen.
I completely agree and are they one of the best right now no they haven't proven that or earned that. But do they have the potential to be top 3 best ever yes they do. All of the pieces are at GW right now. But like you said 1 point more and being better than the team in front of you is all that matter. This team is young and I'm personally so high on them because I've coached a lot of them in sandlot or I know the family's. So I know what's possible for this team if they can fix a few small things.

Deacon Beamer is out for the Marion game and probably the Galax game.
Sadly he is but as long as he is ok in the long run. Not meaning football just in general that's all that matters. Football is just a game and it's not worth anyone's health to win a game.

I'll be the first to say it's extremely to early to crown anyone. Its week2 we havent played anyone who could even test us yet. But I know why most are so high on them we have everything we need to be in Salem but it won't matter if another team wants it more.

GW sure has a lot to live up to this year with all the hype I've heard this year, I have no doubt they're a very good team and they may very well be in Salem at years end but their is still a whole lot of football to be played so time will tell. As for Galax, a lot of people are talking about them being contenders and they may be but from watching them in a benefit game and two regular season games they have a lot of work to do to get even close to the caliber of team they were at the end of last year. With that being said they started 1-4 last year and went on one of heck of a run so anything is possible. A lot of football to be played before anyone can get to Salem and for Galax coach Dixon will have them concentrating on RR this week then just go week by week and try to get the kids to improve through out the year like they did last year.
Myself and other fans are putting a lot on these kids but it's only because we know what's possible. And Galax is the best coached team in this area Dixon will have them ready for whoever they have next on the schedule this week it's RR.

From what I'm hearing it's a concussion but that could be completely wrong. He ran a td and tried to lower the boom and got the worst of it. He was down for just a few seconds got up went to walk to the sideline and fell on the field. I just hope he's it ok weather that means he can come back or not his health is much more important than a football game. With that said we have Walker Nowers at back up which is a pretty solid back up QB.

Hope the kid the best . Why was he even on the field that late in game? With game in hand.

Hope he makes complete and healthy recovery with no lingering effects. Always got to air on the cautious side when it comes to the head.

Hope the kid the best . Why was he even on the field that late in game? With game in hand.
GW leaves the starters in for the 1st half of the 3rd and it just so happened at 6:05 left in the 3rd so it was the last play for the Varsity. It was the td that put us up 40-0. The thing that I didn't get about it we had the ball on the 8 with the whole varsity still in why not let one of our back take it in.

The day you or anyone can figure out why coaches do what they do at times, is the
Day you should open up a Palm reading business. You would make a small fortune
In no time.

Times have changed so much in the last few years when a injury is a concussion.
I remember when we used to call it " getting your bell rung"; you sat out a few plays,
And if you could count to 10, and knew who you were playing, you went back in after
A few plays. Those days are gone......Thank God!

Safety is foremost now in the minds of everyone, and rightfully so. As it was said earlier,
The health of a player in the long term takes precedent over any game or games. Those
Head or helmet protectors GW wore in the preseason, where were they Friday night?
Are they certified to use in a regular season game?

Let's face it football fans, the game will never be the same as us old timers knew it, and
Again, Thank God folks in the VHSL are trying to make things safer for our youth who play
A violent game.

My Prayers are with GW Quarterback Beamer. I wish him a full recovery.
I place no blame on any Coach for injuries. Football is a violent game. Players are bigger,
Stronger, faster, and more aggressive than ever. That being said, injuries are part of the
Game......We can only hope that the injuries are not too serious, but any injury should first be
Considered as serious until a professional tell us otherwise.

J I Burton's Quarterback was carted off the field in the last 2 minutes of the game Friday.
I hope the young man is OK. It also looked like a concussion, unfortunately.

PS: I should add this; JI Burton dressed about 25 players. I counted 6 players with injuries
On the Sidelines in street clothes, with their game jerseries on, before their QB got hurt!

Last edited:
Hey Blaster, who did you guys lose from last years squad? I remember hearing a lot of the names you are mentioning Beamer, Owens, Nowers, etc..... When you guys played Radford and us last year in playoffs. Honestly the only times I had seen GW but I thought somewhere else I read GW graduated like 10 starters. Just curiosity as I was very impressed with the group we played against.

Hey Blaster, who did you guys lose from last years squad? I remember hearing a lot of the names you are mentioning Beamer, Owens, Nowers, etc..... When you guys played Radford and us last year in playoffs. Honestly the only times I had seen GW but I thought somewhere else I read GW graduated like 10 starters. Just curiosity as I was very impressed with the group we played against.

Hardin, Wells, Rosenbaum, Sweet, Tolley, Dickenson, Fox, and Watson off the top of my head. I'm sure Blaster can add who else I am missing.

Hardin, Wells, Rosenbaum, Sweet, Tolley, Dickenson, Fox, and Watson off the top of my head. I'm sure Blaster can add who else I am missing.
Hardin was the LB/HB? I can't remember the name but there was one young man that seemed to be everywhere. A very impressive group of young men, good luck this year as I follow from afar.

Hardin was the LB/HB? I can't remember the name but there was one young man that seemed to be everywhere. A very impressive group of young men, good luck this year as I follow from afar.

Hardin is who you're talking about. I actually remember you being very complimentary of him last year. He was a heart and soul kinda kid, no doubt. Was a pleasure watching him play.

Owens is a kid who has really stepped up and filled that kind of role for us this year. He has that same sort of presence that Hardin did.

#81 The big TE Rosenbaum, #20 Watson DB, #34 Dickinson WR/DE, #88 Dickinson DE, #5 Rashad Wells RB/LB, #33 Tyler Hardin RB/LB #2 Holden Tolley #55 Steven Fox O and D line and Clay Sweet cant remember his # and a few more but the others really didn't play much

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT